• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
To add on to the matter of SMRPG and sales, it came at a time where RPGs were yet to hit anything resembling mainstream in the west. Sure, SNES games like Chrono Trigger and FFVI are insanely iconic, but western sales of the time don't reflect that from what I understand. SMRPG was made to be a game that might break through peoples hesitance on the genre, and it seems to have worked in the context of the time.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Or Knuckles/Shadow are to Sonic 3 and SA2 respectively despite having Sonic on the title. I don't why not being a headliner on game title counts as drawback.

I’m not sure if Super Mario RPG Remake is actually that much bigger of a deal than Xenoblade 2 in terms of sales.
Mate, it's a Mario game opening out for Holiday Season on the Nintendo Switch. I wouldn't be surprised if it reach or even beat XB2 numbers just by launch window alone.

Mario Spin-offs, despite not as popular as mainline, sell really well. The only real problem for Mario RPG is the self-competition with Wonder.

2D Mario are quick and crazy money makers and could cannablize SMRPG numbers.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
As some of us know, The Witcher started as a novel series and Turok started as a comic book. But some others now consider them as video game series, probably because they were more successful as video games, but still that doesn't change their debut and for that reason some want the characters from these two series in the Super Smash Bros. series, something that will never happen.
This but for Sam and Max (Also from a comic book) and any Vocaloid.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For sure. But we're specifically using the qualifier "in his series". SMRPG is arguably one of the most important games in the Mario RPG series(as FF7 is to FF),
i think you'll find that's thousand year door

The idea of a mario warriors game gives me images of wario obliterating like 250 goombas with a special fart attack, which is quite something.
be glad you've only just got it

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Or Knuckles/Shadow are to Sonic 3 and SA2 respectively despite having Sonic on the title. I don't why not being a headliner on game title counts as drawback.

Mate, it's a Mario game opening out for Holiday Season on the Nintendo Switch. I wouldn't be surprised if it reach or even beat XB2 numbers just by launch window alone.

Mario Spin-offs, despite not as popular as mainline, sell really well. The only real problem for Mario RPG is the self-competition with Wonder.

2D Mario are quick and crazy money makers and could cannablize SMRPG numbers.
The info is a bit outdated but from what I was reading, the typical Mario RPG tends to sell around 2 million copies. There were a few entries that sold in the 3 and 4 millions but they don’t all sell that well. I could totally be wrong and we could see the best selling Mario RPG ever but Im just going by past sales. I’m probably going to buy the remake since I was a big fan of the original but I have so many games in my backlog that I need to make time for that I’m not sure when or if I’ll actually get to it. It probably depends on how much they add to the game beyond visuals.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
The info is a bit outdated but from what I was reading, the typical Mario RPG tends to sell around 2 million copies. There were a few entries that sold in the 3 and 4 millions but they don’t all sell that well.
None of them were holiday titles on the Nintendo Switch.

Not expecting super crazy numbers but 4-6 million lifetime is a safe bet.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Super Mario RPG is in a weird spot by virtue of being the first (and setting so many precedents for Mario role playing games that its two successor series followed) but also being a game locked to an old system that many haven't experienced even with Virtual Console and the existence of emulators. In a lot of ways its reputation, symbolism as a Square/Nintendo collaboration, and creation of Geno have made it far more active in popular consciousness than its sales might suggest, given just how many people who haven't even played the game have expressed their excitement at the remake. Honestly the fact that a weird crossover between two genres (one of which had still not exploded in the West) released in the dying days of the SNES and still did solid sales tells you how much of an impression it made then.

The likes of Mario and Luigi had the benefit of being on portable systems circa 2001-2016 that quite frankly dwarfed the reach of their console counterparts (Wii excepted) and thus their numbers were fairly strong until the existence of the Switch really sapped a lot of the 3DS' momentum and essentially eroded the remakes' chances before they even came out. Paper Mario's numbers pretty much lived and died based on how popular its respective consoles were, hence why Sticker Star, Super, and Origami King were all bigger hits than 64, TYYD, & Color Splash.

I don't know if this Seven Stars remake will be the best selling Mario RPG of all time, but as something that seems casual friendly, on a system with a crazy strong install base, and doesn't even have that many JRPG's competing with it in the holiday season? Its in a great position to come very close to number 1, even if it doesn't surpass it. The really interesting region to look at will be Japan, given how much they adore Mario releases on the Switch and eat up RPG's on the system like nothing else.

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Geno will be a priority for the next Smash game, even if it does come out in the next few years. Relevancy was never Geno's core issue, it is competition. He wasn't any more relevant when he was considered in Brawl then he was in ultimate

Geno has to compete with other Square Enix characters, and other Mario characters, both of which he's pretty low on the totem poll of importance. Even ignoring the Warioware or Donkey Kong games, Kamek and Toad aren't playable yet, despite being 2 of the last major Mario characters there are. Even ignoring Kamek, we have guys like King Boo, the various other, longer lasting Mario RPGs, and of course, the purple menace On Square side there are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters to compete with.

Geno's issue is entirely just "Should we really prioritize this character over these other characters." Especially when he is Mario, Retro, and Liscenced at the same time. He has a lot of competition even in the conceptual space.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
The Witcher started as a novel series and Turok started as a comic book.
This is something I've found interesting for a while - when does a game series based on other media stop being considered just that, and how would that change the Smash team's opinion on them?

Obviously it's very different to the examples you gave, but Megami Tensei started off as an adaptation of the Digital Devil Story series of novels, and people definitely consider that to be a game series primarily. (And smash already has it through persona, but that's different enough not to really count at all).

So I wonder what has to happen for a game to be considered its own separate entity compared to the source material.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is something I've found interesting for a while - when does a game series based on other media stop being considered just that, and how would that change the Smash team's opinion on them?

Obviously it's very different to the examples you gave, but Megami Tensei started off as an adaptation of the Digital Devil Story series of novels, and people definitely consider that to be a game series primarily. (And smash already has it through persona, but that's different enough not to really count at all).

So I wonder what has to happen for a game to be considered its own separate entity compared to the source material.
Speaking of Turok, whether or not he is eligible, I thought it would be cool to have him in a Smash Bros. game.

Am I the only one who thinks that?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Turok, whether or not he is eligible, I thought it would be cool to have him in a Smash Bros. game.

No, I loved Turok 2 on the N64 and I think he’d make a really cool Smash character. Another character I bring up with questionable eligibility that I’d love to see is Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors. Jessie and James from the Pokémon anime would be fun too. Then again, I’m pretty open to just about any character in Smash including those originating from outside video games. As long as I like the character or they look cool or have a fun moveset, that’s the only thing that really matters to me. I think playing as Raphael, Venom, Predator, Edward Elric, or The Undertaker among countless others would be awesome. Although I totally understand that most people don’t share that opinion and that’s cool too.

I don't think Geno will be a priority for the next Smash game, even if it does come out in the next few years. Relevancy was never Geno's core issue, it is competition. He wasn't any more relevant when he was considered in Brawl then he was in ultimate

Geno has to compete with other Square Enix characters, and other Mario characters, both of which he's pretty low on the totem poll of importance. Even ignoring the Warioware or Donkey Kong games, Kamek and Toad aren't playable yet, despite being 2 of the last major Mario characters there are. Even ignoring Kamek, we have guys like King Boo, the various other, longer lasting Mario RPGs, and of course, the purple menace On Square side there are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters to compete with.

Geno's issue is entirely just "Should we really prioritize this character over these other characters." Especially when he is Mario, Retro, and Liscenced at the same time. He has a lot of competition even in the conceptual space.
I agree up to a point. Without the fan support, Geno would most likely be passed up for other more generally popular characters from Mario and Square-Enix. However, I think something has to be said for the long time support within the Smash fanbase for the character. I believe he’s one of the few characters left that has had support for as long as he has. True, he might still get passed up for someone like Waluigi or Crono but I feel like he’s at least on the table now.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
To be honest, saying Marvel vs. Capcom treats its characters better than Smash does because the former has character interactions and the latter doesn't is absolutely throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I like MvC, but it's a crapshoot if your favourite will get translated well (Dante, Phoenix Wright, Vergil) or have so much made-up material that they effectively feel like a different character (Mega Man, Venom, X). Everyone in Smash comparatively gets so much more love. Even Ganondorf, Wario, and Sonic feel more accurate to their source material than a lot of MvC characters.

The character interactions in MvC aren't even that good. Project X Zone did character interactions better with a fraction of the budget.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To be honest, saying Marvel vs. Capcom treats its characters better than Smash does because the former has character interactions and the latter doesn't is absolutely throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I like MvC, but it's a crapshoot if your favourite will get translated well (Dante, Phoenix Wright, Vergil) or have so much made-up material that they effectively feel like a different character (Mega Man, Venom, X). Everyone in Smash comparatively gets so much more love. Even Ganondorf, Wario, and Sonic feel more accurate to their source material than a lot of MvC characters.

The character interactions in MvC aren't even that good. Project X Zone did character interactions better with a fraction of the budget.
This is actually pretty off-topic to your post, but Mega Man not ending up playable in MvC3 or UMvC3 is a reason why I don't mind Smash typically prioritising protagonists as the "main reps" of their franchises.

And since I'm talking about protagonists, would you guys like to see Andy playable in the next Smash title?

That would make SMRPG the FF6 then. Which would make Geno the, mmm...Celes.
There's a good amount of debate about who the main character of FF6 is.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

Well, it's popular knowledge that many motion pictures based on literature will make people forget about the existence of the source material. It's normal with adaptations.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Those games are legit bad. But a lot of people still have nostalgia for them. His moveset would at least be cooler than a lot of other FPS character's. Cool Tek Bow.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No, I loved Turok 2 on the N64 and I think he’d make a really cool Smash character. Another character I bring up with questionable eligibility that I’d love to see is Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors. Jessie and James from the Pokémon anime would be fun too. Then again, I’m pretty open to just about any character in Smash including those originating from outside video games. As long as I like the character or they look cool or have a fun moveset, that’s the only thing that really matters to me. I think playing as Raphael, Venom, Predator, Edward Elric, or The Undertaker among countless others would be awesome. Although I totally understand that most people don’t share that opinion and that’s cool too.
Thanks.

Not that I am doubting you, at all, but let's see: Chrono from Chrono Trigger; though there is the related Chrono Cross series if it is related at all, Chrono is still an old character, possibly older than Geno himself. I also can't imagine anyone from Chrono Cross getting in Smash. The characters from Balan Wonderworld (Yeah, I know) are pretty much not showing up, and Lara Croft and Gex from the western side of Square Enix have been sold off, and this is not even counting the Enix side of the company.

I can only see a few characters be competition on the Square Enix side, such as Black Mage (even though Final Fantasy has reps already) and a Taito character, which is owned by Square. I am aware that I could be missing others.

On the Mario side, while he has competition in that regard, I can see that there are not too many Mario characters aside from Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario that Geno has to compete with. Kamek would be a Yoshi character in my opinion, and King Boo...I am not sure about them. I do see Toad as a possibility, kind of, but honestly, I do not think he is getting in the next Smash unless something proves me wrong there. I think the main competitors are Pauline and Waluigi. Those aren't the only ones Geno has competition with, but to me, it is a smaller pool of characters to deal with, making Geno's chances somewhat better, and he could get in along with one of them.

But yeah, feel free to tell me if I missed anything.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

The way they explained Sora's inclusion in smash is probably the answer here.

"You meet lots of Disney characters but the story still ultimately focuses on Sora and his friends"

So basically as long as there is enough Game original material to work with it's eligible for smash bros.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Thanks.

Not that I am doubting you, at all, but let's see: Chrono from Chrono Trigger; though there is the related Chrono Cross series if it is related at all, Chrono is still an old character, possibly older than Geno himself. I also can't imagine anyone from Chrono Cross getting in Smash. The characters from Balan Wonderworld (Yeah, I know) are pretty much not showing up, and Lara Croft and Gex from the western side of Square Enix have been sold off, and this is not even counting the Enix side of the company.

I can only see a few characters be competition on the Square Enix side, such as Black Mage (even though Final Fantasy has reps already) and a Taito character, which is owned by Square. I am aware that I could be missing others.

On the Mario side, while he has competition in that regard, I can see that there are not too many Mario characters aside from Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario that Geno has to compete with. Kamek would be a Yoshi character in my opinion, and King Boo...I am not sure about them. I do see Toad as a possibility, kind of, but honestly, I do not think he is getting in the next Smash unless something proves me wrong there. I think the main competitors are Pauline and Waluigi. Those aren't the only ones Geno has competition with, but to me, it is a smaller pool of characters to deal with, making Geno's chances somewhat better, and he could get in along with one of them.

For Square-Enix, if we look beyond Final Fantasy, there’s Crono, 2B, Agnes/Tis, the Traveller (Octopath Bowser Jr. Character that uses moves from each class).

The obvious choice for Mario that you left out was Waluigi but there’s also Paper Mario, Wart another generic baddy like a Goomba.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
For Square-Enix, if we look beyond Final Fantasy, there’s Crono, 2B, Agnes/Tis, the Traveller (Octopath Bowser Jr. Character that uses moves from each class).

The obvious choice for Mario that you left out was Waluigi but there’s also Paper Mario, Wart another generic baddy like a Goomba.
You forgot Toadette.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
This is actually pretty off-topic to your post, but Mega Man not ending up playable in MvC3 or UMvC3 is a reason why I don't mind Smash typically prioritising protagonists as the "main reps" of their franchises.
On that note, if for whatever reason the main protagonist of a franchise can’t be the first playable rep of that franchise (whether it be technical limitations or lack of sufficient moveset potential compared to even Piranha Plant), which character do you think can work in the protag’s stead?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I thought I actually did mention Waluigi.

In fact, it looks like I did.

Also, you will get no argument from me on the others you listed. I did Mention Crono, inaccurately as Chrono, though. The others are recent, and are great, but I am not sure how much chance they have, by which I mean the Traveller, not 2B. I do think 2B is at least up there with Geno.

Also, yes, there is Paper Mario. Even with him added, it is still a small pool of characters for Geno to compete against, not that it means much for him.

Well then, I guess we will have to see how the remake of Super Mario RPG does before we can determine accurately as to what kind of chance Geno has to get in and how he'll compete with the others.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Hunters hit a Dah'ren Mohran 10,000 times before it dies
Hulk and Ryu kill it in one hit each
Just like in the Monster Hunter games. :upsidedown:

As for translation, are we talking about their character in the games compared to them in their main franchise or other media, or moreso talking about their moveset? In terms of personality, I know Morrigan tends to be a wild card with what they do with her, as she's more heroic in her games, but in other games or media, she's either slightly less moral, but still heroic or is given the villainous stick, either somewhat like Teppen or quite extreme like in her Udon comic appearance.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On that note, if for whatever reason the main protagonist of a franchise can’t be the first playable rep of that franchise (whether it be technical limitations or lack of sufficient moveset potential compared to even Piranha Plant), which character do you think can work in the protag’s stead?
I don’t think a character has ever been left out for either of those reasons. Certain types of character gimmicks sure but not the characters

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I dont want Paper Mario in smash becaus they would base him on the Sticker Star incarnation which is the defacto version of the character since that games release.

Hunters hit a Dah'ren Mohran 10,000 times before it dies
Hulk and Ryu kill it in one hit each
Just like in the Monster Hunter games. :upsidedown:

As for translation, are we talking about their character in the games compared to them in their main franchise or other media, or moreso talking about their moveset? In terms of personality, I know Morrigan tends to be a wild card with what they do with her, as she's more heroic in her games, but in other games or media, she's either slightly less moral, but still heroic or is given the villainous stick, either somewhat like Teppen or quite extreme like in her Udon comic appearance.
I'm pretty sure Morrigans thing is that she just does what she thinks is fun at that point in time.

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
That would make SMRPG the FF6 then. Which would make Geno the, mmm...Celes.
Eh, more like the Setzer IMO

Kamek would be a Yoshi character in my opinion, and King Boo...I am not sure about them. I do see Toad as a possibility, kind of, but honestly, I do not think he is getting in the next Smash unless something proves me wrong there. I think the main competitors are Pauline and Waluigi. Those aren't the only ones Geno has competition with, but to me, it is a smaller pool of characters to deal with, making Geno's chances somewhat better, and he could get in along with one of them.
I'll be honest, "Yoshi Character" means literally nothing at this point. The Subseries shares its entire cast effectively with Mario, outside of the babies I guess?

King Boo is... tricky. I do think he is more important then Geno, as the main villain of a subseries, and semi-recurring boss.

Do these guys lock Geno out entirely? I don't think so, theres still a chance, but he is one of the least important memorable Mario character, even removing subseries like DK and Wario with their own cast (Yoshi really doesn't count since the cast is an effective circle).

Still, it doesn't discount him; just means he has competition. Maybe none of the guys we're talking about get in and Jojora gets in as an in joke between developers, or whoever is making Smash 6 decides they dont want to do another Mario character at all. Neither are likely, but Smash Devs are weird sometimes.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I'm just realizing now is that Chrono Trigger might be the most famous Squaresoft game from 87-2007 era (FFXI MMO excepted) that's not on Switch. The Pixel remasters mean everything Final Fantasy is covered 1-12 wise, Mana's been all over the system, KH is there (...in cloud form), Mario RPG is getting a remake, Chrono Cross has popped up, and even FF Tactics is rumored to be coming out.

Don't think it necessarily means CT's getting a remake soon, but its a surprising omission, especially given that other missing stuff like Xenogears at least as some context as to why its not shown up. It would amusing if speculation about its characters getting in the next Smash came from the exact same cause as Geno via modern remake happening with both.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Eh, more like the Setzer IMO

I'll be honest, "Yoshi Character" means literally nothing at this point. The Subseries shares its entire cast effectively with Mario, outside of the babies I guess?

King Boo is... tricky. I do think he is more important then Geno, as the main villain of a subseries, and semi-recurring boss.

Do these guys lock Geno out entirely? I don't think so, theres still a chance, but he is one of the least important memorable Mario character, even removing subseries like DK and Wario with their own cast (Yoshi really doesn't count since the cast is an effective circle).

Still, it doesn't discount him; just means he has competition. Maybe none of the guys we're talking about get in and Jojora gets in as an in joke between developers, or whoever is making Smash 6 decides they dont want to do another Mario character at all. Neither are likely, but Smash Devs are weird sometimes.
I understand what you mean. I kinda still see the Yoshi series as different enough to be its own thing, despite being more on the Mario side, if you know what I mean. As for King Boo, I can't say you are wrong about him. I don't see him getting in as easily, but he is something more than what Geno is.

But yeah, I can't even deny he has competition. I do think it is smaller than you implied, if by only a bit, but...yeah, the competition is still there.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure Morrigans thing is that she just does what she thinks is fun at that point in time.
She does, but what's often changed is her view on humans and other characters. In her games, she likes humans without any hostile intent and looks for fun in the things they make and do. In most other media, she either doesn't care about them/looks down upon them, but is still willing to help them or actively hunts them and kills without any second thoughts.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
With all this talk about Square Enix characters, what do people think about Mana characters?
I would love for the Mana series to get a character. Don't see it happening though really. Mostly because the only one with any real chance is Riesz due to her popularity, but her design is not exactly CERO friendly.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I would love for the Mana series to get a character. Don't see it happening though really. Mostly because the only one with any real chance is Riesz due to her popularity, but her design is not exactly CERO friendly.
She was a spirit in Ultimate, so shouldn't they be able to fix that?

Ivander

Smash Legend
She was a spirit in Ultimate, so shouldn't they be able to fix that?
She was a spirit with Hawke, that uses their artworks. Now here's her in-game model.

Like even if you did give her a pair of leggings, CERO would still likely give alot of issue just because of the leotard showing regardless of the leggings. Even her Vanadis outfit which has leggings and a waist fauld has her with a leotard showing.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
She was a spirit with Hawke, that uses their artworks. Now here's her in-game model.

Like even if you did give her a pair of leggings, CERO would still likely give alot of issue just because of the leotard showing regardless of the leggings. Even her Vanadis outfit which has leggings and a waist fauld has her with a leotard showing.
That sounds too ridiculously strict to me. There's got to be something that satisfies the rating system.

If not, then might as well just go with another character like Randi from Secret of Mana.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If we are talking about Mario characters, I will say one thing.

Keep an eye on Wave 6 for the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster pass. Pauline has slowly been creeping into more and more Mario sidegames. I am getting very similar vibes from this as with Rosalina before Smash 4. Nintendo seems to really want to have her in everything after Mario Odyssey. If she gets added to 8 Deluxe, I'm going to be even more confident in her. She feels like the real breakout star of Odyssey. Jump Up Super Star might have been referring to Cappy, but it feels like Pauline has become the new addition to the cast. She just keeps appearing, from Tour to the Sports games. If she makes the jump to 8 Deluxe, I think I am going to call time and say she will be a permanent fixture in the series.

I know Pauline is not everyone's first choice for a Mario newcomer. If I had my way, I would probably go with King Boo just because I think he would be way too much fun. But I feel like the stage is being set for her to show up. She keeps showing up and is becoming more and more relevant to the Mario series as time goes by. It's also not like its impossible to give her a moveset. They gave a moveset to a literal potted plant. If the team wants Pauline to work, they can make her work extremely easily. You could use her as a vessel for a Cappy based moveset (Smash is no stranger to playing fast and loose with canon/who gets what) or just make something up. Odds are if any Mario character gets in, creative liberties will be taken with their movesets.

If the character is going to remain this fixture in the series going forward, I think she's got a way stronger shot than people want to admit. It's probably going to sting for some people if Smash 6 comes around and we get Pauline and Waluigi instead of Toad, King Boo, or Paper Mario. I just think people should mentally prepare for her potentially being one of our Mario reps.

Top Bottom