• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It's probably worth more, if Geno retains his prominent role in that game, since at least that one would be original.

This is both a spin-off and a remake. There are more ideal categories to be in, Smash-wise. But Geno not being in a spin-off is very unlikely.

Though if it's an original spin-off but Geno has a very minor role, this one is probably worth more.
No, I don't think it's worth more. I feel like appearing regularly in Kart and Party and Tennis and stuff is worth way more. Sure, his role importance is a bit more in this RPG than your average Kart racer, for example, but things like Kart put you in front of way more eyes and they're still playable roles nonetheless.

Well Geno isn't getting in for being generally popular, because he isn't generally popular. He'd get in as a fanbase choice, which limits his spots, but also stands him in better stead than the other Mario characters for that route.

The only other one that could potentially get in that way is Waluigi, but I don't think he will, because he can get in normally as just a generally popular, currently active character. Like how Inkling could've gotten in via the fanbase, but just got in based on general merit.
The context of that point was comparing Geno to other Mario characters, in which it is relevant that he's not as generally recognizable. I realize that I was thinking more in terms of the structure of the Mario roster there rather than thinking in terms of how Geno specifically would get selected, so sorry about that.
Still-
If you think Geno only has a chance via filling a dedicated fan pick slot, then sure, his lack of general recognition compared to other Mario reps wouldn't be as relevant, though I don't think that it can be completely discounted even in this case. No matter how Geno gets added or the specific slot he is filling, you still have to reckon with the fact that you're adding a very small fish within his own series, which has to be a point against him even if he isn't directly competing against those same-series choices. Even the "fan pick" slot isn't just a straight-up popularity contest; the other factors are still relevant.

The only other one that could potentially get in that way is Waluigi, but I don't think he will, because he can get in normally as just a generally popular, currently active character. Like how Inkling could've gotten in via the fanbase, but just got in based on general merit.
Yeah it's worth reiterating that while they have used "slots" and quotas before (probably because it's effective in narrowing down choices), not everything is so cut-and-dried and not every character that's deemed worthy is necessarily shoehorned into a particular bin. To be honest I'd prefer if they'd move away from slots and quotas for specific categories of characters but it's a practical mechanism, so I get the appeal.

If Nintendo is bringing back a dormant IP with a remake, they're testing the waters.
Fair. I guess with GS in particular, it feels like there's such a small window for it to happen between the Mario sports games that I could easily imagine a remake coming out and not getting followed up; maybe it's just the fan in me wanting to be paranoid.

But also, if Sakurai is choosing the characters, I don't think he's looking at the future, I think he's looking at the current and the past. I mean, Sakurai explicitly said "I'm not doing more Kid Icarus" and then jammed 4 full of KI content. Itoi was straight up like "Mother is done" and Sakurai nevertheless added Lucas. Since Sakurai decided to add K. Rool eight years ago, there's been a single port of a DK game that didn't have K. Rool in it.
True, true. Maybe I should have just left that future comment out. Though it was a reference to the old Sakurai comment, "characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen." Which could loosely apply to Geno in that his iteration of Mario RPGs might not have a direct follow-up after the remake.

The future state of third-party characters isn't really Nintendo's concern when selecting fighters.
Yeah, that checks out for third parties in general. Though I was suggesting that if SMRPG remake was indeed testing things out for future games with Geno potentially in them, then that could still be a big deal for him, particularly because he lacks the existing name recognition that even dormant and non-relevant third party candidates tend to have.

Here's my question to you. Do you think Geno is considered to have a better chance than Isaac right now?

And would that change if Isaac was the one who had received the remake, and Geno hadn't?

That's my point. It's not Geno vs. Isaac. It's the benefit of these kind of characters having a new release, even if that release is a remake.
By fans in general? Well, obviously we are in the wake of an announcement and so things are going to skew towards Geno for now; we'll have to see if that perception holds on once the highs of announcement and release go by.
As for me, I actually still think Isaac has a better shot overall (though obviously I am biased). Isaac doesn't have to deal with being generally unimportant within his franchise, he would represent a new franchise in a time when there aren't as many obviously stronger candidates for new first party franchises, and he doesn't have to deal with licensing/negotiation or competing directly with third parties.
I also stated that I think he probably outperformed Geno on the ballot and seems more brimming in moveset potential, though I agree those are less solidly founded arguments.

And yeah, there's not much point in pitting the Geno and Isaac fanbases so directly against each other. I do think Isaac is the all-around better candidate remake or no, but of course I am biased.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I wouldn’t be surprised if they did Toadette and not Toad, she has the whole Peachette power up which could be a neat and easy to implement gimmick, plus she is more of a specific character, her moveset definitely wouldn’t be hard to come up with
I think it's weird that Toadette isn't playable in SMB Wonder when she was in NSMBUD.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Does anyone think Rauru from Tears of the Kingdom has any chance? He played a pretty big part in the story and would probably make more sense than any single champion on their own. I’m still a long ways from beating the game but I thought he could be an interesting choice that hasn’t really been discussed yet.
With Tears of the Kingdom, there is plenty of potential for characters. Really the biggest issue is not knowing what exactly Sakurai is looking for regarding a new Zelda character. As far as we've seen, he looks mainly toward the de-facto 3 of Zelda, but we don't know what would get him interested in bringing a new Zelda character that isn't those 3. And with Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom/Age of Calamity having such a really notable cast of characters with each one having their own fans and people who want them.
  • Daruk and Yunobo of the Gorons
  • Mipha and Sidon of the Zora
  • Urbosa and Riju of the Gerudo
  • Revali, Teba and Tulin of the Rito
  • Impa of the Sheikah. Paya I see more as a potential alternate costume, although I haven't gotten far into Tears of the Kingdom to see if Paya does anything notable.
  • Rauru of the Zonai
  • Mineru
  • Master Kohga of the Yiga Clan
  • The Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom version of Zelda. Something I don't think people would be against really, but some would still groan at for not being a non-defacto trio character.
  • Then there's the fact that they could pull a Piranha Plant scenario and could go with a Guardian or Lynel, let alone another mook.
It's practically impossible to know which character would actually get Sakurai's interest for him to put them in. Like, the BotW/TotK version of Zelda I'm sure most would agree is likely if Sakurai sticks to the de-facto trio once more, but if he were to choose one that isn't Zelda, who knows what exactly they had that got Sakurai to pick them.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
No, I don't think it's worth more. I feel like appearing regularly in Kart and Party and Tennis and stuff is worth way more. Sure, his role importance is a bit more in this RPG than your average Kart racer, for example, but things like Kart put you in front of way more eyes and they're still playable roles nonetheless.
Well you're comparing multiple appearances to one, that's not fair. Of course appearing regularly is worth more. Either way, you have to start with the first reappearance.

At that point with the original game vs the remake, it depends how minor that role is. I mean, this means more than the M&L cameo. But usually the original will take it.

The context of that point was comparing Geno to other Mario characters, in which it is relevant that he's not as generally recognizable. I realize that I was thinking more in terms of the structure of the Mario roster there rather than thinking in terms of how Geno specifically would get selected, so sorry about that.
Still-
If you think Geno only has a chance via filling a dedicated fan pick slot, then sure, his lack of general recognition compared to other Mario reps wouldn't be as relevant, though I don't think that it can be completely discounted even in this case. No matter how Geno gets added or the specific slot he is filling, you still have to reckon with the fact that you're adding a very small fish within his own series, which has to be a point against him even if he isn't directly competing against those same-series choices. Even the "fan pick" slot isn't just a straight-up popularity contest; the other factors are still relevant.
Geno isn't going to be able to get in any other way than as a fanbase pick, he's nowhere near major enough. If you eliminated his fan demand, he'd have no chance at all.

But yeah, characters aren't added in a vacuum, there are other factors that will affect Geno's chances, including the other Mario characters. I don't think they'll affect him as much as they'd affect each other, since he'd get in in a bit of a different way, and probably during a different phase (and because the chance of Mario getting multiple characters is higher than most series), but yeah, they're not completely irrelevant to each other.

But if we got Waluigi in base, and Geno didn't show up, I think him still being plausible for DLC would be entirely sound.

Yeah it's worth reiterating that while they have used "slots" and quotas before (probably because it's effective in narrowing down choices), not everything is so cut-and-dried and not every character that's deemed worthy is necessarily shoehorned into a particular bin. To be honest I'd prefer if they'd move away from slots and quotas for specific categories of characters but it's a practical mechanism, so I get the appeal.
Well they're not going to stop adding characters based on general merit, and I doubt they're going to stop adding characters due to the fanbase, so both of these things will continue.

Fair. I guess with GS in particular, it feels like there's such a small window for it to happen between the Mario sports games that I could easily imagine a remake coming out and not getting followed up; maybe it's just the fan in me wanting to be paranoid.
That seems possible. Sadly I don't think GS, even when it's successful, is as high a priority to Nintendo as the Mario sports games. That may be why they'd have to find a new dev to split the job with Camelot.

However, I don't think that's the kind of thing that would impede Isaac, if he actually got a remake, and the remake didn't, like, bomb. His case would improve regardless, it would just get even better with more games. Assuming the timing lined up so that it hadn't been years since that remake. Though timing has never really been kind to GS.

True, true. Maybe I should have just left that future comment out. Though it was a reference to the old Sakurai comment, "characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen." Which could loosely apply to Geno in that his iteration of Mario RPGs might not have a direct follow-up after the remake.
I think that's more about unrepresented first-party series. That's probably not helped Golden Sun, but Geno is both a third-party, and Mario (since there's no reason to believe they'd classify Geno otherwise) is not a series without a future.

Yeah, that checks out for third parties in general. Though I was suggesting that if SMRPG remake was indeed testing things out for future games with Geno potentially in them, then that could still be a big deal for him, particularly because he lacks the existing name recognition that even dormant and non-relevant third party candidates tend to have.
Well I don't think anyone is denying that if the remake lead to an actual original sequel Geno's chances would improve even more, it's just that getting this game now improves them from beforehand regardless. Again though, this is less of a concern with third-parties.

Not every character needs to have a bright future ahead of them to be added anyway. Every time they add a character from a rotating series they know there's a chance this ****** never shows up in a mainline title again.

By fans in general? Well, obviously we are in the wake of an announcement and so things are going to skew towards Geno for now; we'll have to see if that perception holds on once the highs of announcement and release go by.
Tbh, without the status quo changing through future game announcements or eventual Smash developments, I don't know why it wouldn't.

As for me, I actually still think Isaac has a better shot overall (though obviously I am biased). Isaac doesn't have to deal with being generally unimportant within his franchise, he would represent a new franchise in a time when there aren't as many obviously stronger candidates for new first party franchises, and he doesn't have to deal with licensing/negotiation or competing directly with third parties.
All of that stuff is a mixed bag, imo. Isaac is the obvious choice for GS, but GS seems like a long shot without a new release.

Isaac is from a new franchise, but I think, at this current juncture, Astral Chain and Ring Fit would get in first. If AW continues, probably that too. I think Isaac would have to get in based on the fanbase right now, while the others could just get in based on recency, which is more reliable. And, in terms of the fanbase, he hasn't been highly demanded since he got deconfirmed way back in base. He's still hanging in there, but whether he can get back to where he was remains to be seen. I hope so.

And no, he doesn't have to deal with licensing hurdles. But on the other hand, third-parties are less subject to be hindered by their series not being in a good state, because Nintendo isn't really invested in that.

I also stated that I think he probably outperformed Geno on the ballot and seems more brimming in moveset potential, though I agree those are less solidly founded arguments.
I agree he probably outperformed Geno on the ballot, but the terrain has shifted since then.

Though both are fanbase favorites, Isaac is first-party and Geno is third-party, so the two likely won't bother each other much for a spot.

And yeah, there's not much point in pitting the Geno and Isaac fanbases so directly against each other. I do think Isaac is the all-around better candidate remake or no, but of course I am biased.
I'd rather get Isaac. But with this remake Geno just seems to have a better case at the moment. Though again, it's not one vs the other. A GS remake actually seems possible given Camelot's schedule, and then both would look to have pretty good odds for the next Smash, which would be great for the fans, knock off two more longtime requests. We'll have to see what happens when Camelot's game gets revealed... which could be any time now.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well you're comparing multiple appearances to one, that's not fair. Of course appearing regularly is worth more. Either way, you have to start with the first reappearance.
I mean, I still think one Kart/Party/Sports playable appearance is worth more than one party member appearance in SMRPG.

Geno isn't going to be able to get in any other way than as a fanbase pick, he's nowhere near major enough. If you eliminated his fan demand, he'd have no chance at all.
Yeah he absolutely needs his popularity to have any chance at all; that's clear. My original post was emphasizing that even with all of his demand he still doesn't stack up well with other Mario reps, and that would make him look like an odd duck on the roster, no matter how he got in.

But if we got Waluigi in base, and Geno didn't show up, I think him still being plausible for DLC would be entirely sound.
Oh, yeah, I don't think getting Waluigi or another Mario rep would rule out Geno (though I still view Geno as unlikely regardless).

I think that's more about unrepresented first-party series. That's probably not helped Golden Sun, but Geno is both a third-party, and Mario (since there's no reason to believe they'd classify Geno otherwise) is not a series without a future.
I know it was originally meant for unrepped 1P series. My thought was that a similar line of thinking could apply to Geno's line of Mario RPGs, since Geno doesn't meaningfully appear in anything else as of now. But of course that is just speculative, not a direct application of Sakurai's statement.

Well I don't think anyone is denying that if the remake lead to an actual original sequel Geno's chances would improve even more, it's just that getting this game now improves them from beforehand regardless. Again though, this is less of a concern with third-parties.
Generally, yes, it is less of a concern with 3Ps. But for Geno in particular it could matter more than usual because he doesn't have the same recognition or legacy that serious third party candidates, even ones with no clear future, usually have.

Not every character needs to have a bright future ahead of them to be added anyway.
Well I simply agree with that. And obviously they don't say series with no clear future will never be added.
But yeah I was always critical of the logic of saying you're not including many dormant series because they have no clear future, yet continually adding recency picks who also have no clear future. Obviously it's the sake of the current promotion that makes them willing to ignore the "no future" part for recency picks; and obviously they wouldn't come right out and say that, but it's just a funny thing to point out.

Tbh, without the status quo changing through future game announcements or eventual Smash developments, I don't know why it wouldn't.
People always and naturally skew their speculation towards recent releases. Unless it is revealed at some point that the next project plan lines up perfectly with the SMRPG remake, it's only going to seem less relevant and important as time goes by beyond its release. Though maybe I am underestimating the vigor of the Geno fans.

All of that stuff is a mixed bag, imo. Isaac is the obvious choice for GS, but GS seems like a long shot without a new release.

Isaac is from a new franchise, but I think, at this current juncture, Astral Chain and Ring Fit would get in first. If AW continues, probably that too. I think Isaac would have to get in based on the fanbase right now, while the others could just get in based on recency, which is more reliable. And, in terms of the fanbase, he hasn't been highly demanded since he got deconfirmed way back in base. He's still hanging in there, but whether he can get back to where he was remains to be seen. I hope so.

And no, he doesn't have to deal with licensing hurdles. But on the other hand, third-parties are less subject to be hindered by their series not being in a good state, because Nintendo isn't really invested in that.
Ring Fit, sure; RF isn't a lock but seems pretty likely.
Astral Chain I'm not convinced. Barring concrete sequel plans, it's likely not going to be particularly relevant at the time of the next project plan. And it did solidly well for a new IP but not in the multimil sales bracket. Being newer than GS isn't really helpful if it's still not all that new (relative to the plan). Basically Astral Chain is at that success level where it could get in with good timing but would probably miss the boat with bad timing (much like the position GS was in for Brawl and 4). And unlike GS, I don't think it would get in to fill a "hardcore fan pick" slot, at least not at this point.
Advance Wars...yeah, I am a huge AW fan and a longtime, bigtime supporter of Andy in Smash but I really have never gotten to a point where I thought it more likely than GS. Even with the recent remake. And especially after all that remake went through just to make it to release. That said, it would be a real dream for me to see GS and AW both playable in Smash someday.

And of course Isaac's perceived demand would take a hit during DLC, where the character types perceived as possible skewed way away from him. But he's still one of the three de facto top-tier longstanding first party requests alongside Dee and Waluigi.

We'll have to see what happens when Camelot's game gets revealed... which could be any time now.
Yes, maybe we will hear something in September. Idk tho.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People forget how huge Wii Fit was, trust me Wii Fit Trainer deserved the slot, 100%, Ring Fit Adventure was never even close to that level.
Okay, and?

It's still absurdly successful and sells better than most Nintendo IPs.

Ring Fit Adventure being less huge than Wii Fit does not make it stop being huge.

Both Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure deserve it frankly. They're both multi million seller IP.

osby

Smash Obsessed
People forget how huge Wii Fit was, trust me Wii Fit Trainer deserved the slot, 100%, Ring Fit Adventure was never even close to that level.
Okay, and?

It's still absurdly successful and sells better than most Nintendo IPs.

Ring Fit Adventure being less huge than Wii Fit does not make it stop being huge.

Both Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure deserve it frankly. They're both multi million seller IP.
Adding to this: "not close to Wii Fit" is not a detriment. Wii Fit is so successful that Donkey Kong, Mario, Smash, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon are the only Nintendo franchises that outsold it. You might as well say that Captain Falcon shouldn't be in because Mario Kart is bigger than F-Zero. Ring Fit Adventure is bigger than Star Fox, Xenoblade, or Pikmin (almost as big as the latter two combined, really). There's no reason to write it off based on sales.

Frankly, a lot of the argument made against the game seems to come from people who can't accept that exergames are an actual genre that can stand on their own and treat Ring Fit Adventure as a less-successful spin-off rather than a brand-new title.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
People erroneously use Splatoon as a benchmark for a successful new IP, which is wack because of how far above normal it performed on its first title. And Ring Fit is currently at about three times that level.

It's in the top ten best selling Switch games. And Switch games reach some crazy numbers. It's also not just the only one that isn't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash or AC, but it's a new IP.

So it's no minor blip.

It's bad enough to hold new IPs to Splatoon's level. To hold one to Wii Fit is insane.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom version of Zelda. Something I don't think people would be against really, but some would still groan at for not being a non-defacto trio character.
If we got that instead of TotK Ganondorf, something everyone is asking for, people would be pissed.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Do they though?

Like is it even possible to say they deserved it when absolutely no one would've even had a sliver of a guess, let alone a sliver of belief they were even possible? If Wii Fit Trainer wasn't in, would there be people constantly saying that they deserve to be in? While the same question could be asked about Mr. Game & Watch, I can certainly see the support for something from the Game & Watch to get in Smash, like a stage, items, Assist Trophy, etc, much like how there are some people who do think something from the Virtual Boy like a stage could be interesting to see. Wii Fit would probably have a bit of support, although I doubt anywhere near if Game & Watch was also not in. And R.O.B. & Duck Hunt definitely had some supporters before their reveals.
But like, if you were to tell people that a characterless virtual trainer stand-in from an exercise game was going to be playable, do you think people would take you seriously? Like I don't think even Sal/Gematsu had a hint of belief in his prediction of them until they were confirmed.

Was Wii Fit huge? Absolutely. It was a big deal. Nowhere near Wii Sports, but still very much a big deal. But did Wii Fit Trainer deserve the slot? That is really hard to say. Lots of people could & can agree about characters like Waluigi, King K. Rool, Chrom/Lucina/Robin, Isabelle, Bandana Dee, Palutena, Little Mac, Pyra & Mythra, etc, even after for the ones who did not get in, at the time, or are still not in. Even Piranha Plant, who despite being decisive, is still often agreed upon as a character that makes sense even if they don't like it.
Would the Wii Fit Trainer even have a sliver of that support if they never made it to Smash? Heck, I think even Ring Fit Adventure would have had more support over Wii Fit because of the game being more wacky and the Trainers having some more character compared to the Wii Fit Trainers. And I say this as someone who enjoys playing Wii Fit Trainer and absolutely enjoyed the wackiness the character brought to speculation, like the Wii Safety Strap guy.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Like is it even possible to say they deserved it when absolutely no one would've even had a sliver of a guess, let alone a sliver of belief they were even possible?
Dude, half your list of "potential TotK characters" are ones nobody would ask for.

I do agree though that Fit Trainer would have made more sense as an AT.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ya'll mean Captain Toad surely?
That's not the one from the Movie. I see Toad as quite likely. Peach might just need her Neutral B changed.

Toad, Dixie, Cranky, Impa, Bandana Dee and Tom Nook; these are just about the characters with long lasting popularity and importance in their home series and just about the biggest omissions in Smash regards to 1st party characters.

Waluigi, Geno, Isaac and Octoling are big names too but mostly due to fan popularity.

But I do feel quite a few of these named characters will be included next. Noah from XBC3 and probably Alear from FE Engage too because of recency and patterns regarding how FE and XBC are handled in Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why do people say characters "makes more sense as an AT" when they mean "I'd prefer another fighter" 90% of the time?
Because it's the logical step down from a Fighter that's not being removed from the game entirely.

Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB, Duck Hunt, Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant all deserve to appear in Smash. They deserve to be more than Spirits. They deserve less than to be Fighters. They deserve to be AT and/or Stages.

That's not the one from the Movie.
He practically is. Movie Toad also wears a backpack of camping junk. Including a bedroll.

I wouldn't be surprised if movie Toad BECOMES Captain Toad as the series progresses. Peach will probably promote him after he saves the day a few more times.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Frankly, a lot of the argument made against the game seems to come from people who can't accept that exergames are an actual genre that can stand on their own and treat Ring Fit Adventure as a less-successful spin-off rather than a brand-new title.
You can always tell that these people didn't actually play the game too, because Ring fit has so many rpg elements and actual fight against monsters that making a moveset for the characters would be much easier than Wii fit. I mean, the game is more an RPG with exergames elements more than your typical exercice game.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think that it's looking like Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee, Geno, and one major third-party request from the Fighter's Pass 2 era (most likely Crash, but I could see Doom Marine. Dante strikes me as a DLC-or-bust character because he needs a more expansive moveset) will be our batch of "fan favourite" newcomers for next time.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As a Geno supporter and Mario RPG megafan, I don't think the remake is a guarantee of anything Smash wise, as the game itself could be just a one time project to better preserve an older title and be a Mario role playing title to fill the gap until the next Paper Mario.

However if the game is successful enough that a sequel starts getting in development, possibly around the same time the next SSB is? That could be a different story, as one could argue a Geno inclusion would shift from a fan support pick to a promotional one, and that's an entirely new paradigm. It would rely on timing and such a character being seen as worth it vs other prominent SE figures, but it would give him a context far more favorable than that of just support from a Smash fandom.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Do they though?

Like is it even possible to say they deserved it when absolutely no one would've even had a sliver of a guess, let alone a sliver of belief they were even possible? If Wii Fit Trainer wasn't in, would there be people constantly saying that they deserve to be in? While the same question could be asked about Mr. Game & Watch, I can certainly see the support for something from the Game & Watch to get in Smash, like a stage, items, Assist Trophy, etc, much like how there are some people who do think something from the Virtual Boy like a stage could be interesting to see. Wii Fit would probably have a bit of support, although I doubt anywhere near if Game & Watch was also not in. And R.O.B. & Duck Hunt definitely had some supporters before their reveals.
But like, if you were to tell people that a characterless virtual trainer stand-in from an exercise game was going to be playable, do you think people would take you seriously? Like I don't think even Sal/Gematsu had a hint of belief in his prediction of them until they were confirmed.

Was Wii Fit huge? Absolutely. It was a big deal. Nowhere near Wii Sports, but still very much a big deal. But did Wii Fit Trainer deserve the slot? That is really hard to say. Lots of people could & can agree about characters like Waluigi, King K. Rool, Chrom/Lucina/Robin, Isabelle, Bandana Dee, Palutena, Little Mac, Pyra & Mythra, etc, even after for the ones who did not get in, at the time, or are still not in. Even Piranha Plant, who despite being decisive, is still often agreed upon as a character that makes sense even if they don't like it.
Would the Wii Fit Trainer even have a sliver of that support if they never made it to Smash? Heck, I think even Ring Fit Adventure would have had more support over Wii Fit because of the game being more wacky and the Trainers having some more character compared to the Wii Fit Trainers. And I say this as someone who enjoys playing Wii Fit Trainer and absolutely enjoyed the wackiness the character brought to speculation, like the Wii Safety Strap guy.
They can be deserving without people thinking they are deserving. Someone not knowing about or properly recognizing their merits doesn't mean those merits cease to exist. "Deserving" and "expected" are two sometimes correlated but ultimately different things.
The only real ways I see at this point to argue that Wii Fit Trainer isn't deserving would be (1) arguing that they shouldn't be eligible, perhaps based on their genre of origin and/or lack of characterization; (2) arguing that Wii Fit not being relevant anymore erases its merit; and (3) arguing that not being as popular among hardcore Smash fans makes Wii Fit undeserving of a rep.

While it might be fair to argue that the Trainer is less likely to return than they would be if Wii Fit were ongoing, or if they were more popular with hardcores, I would hard disagree with (1)-(3).

This all said, I understand the temptation to make the "if they'd never been in Smash" argument. There are several vets who wouldn't be regarded nearly as highly if they weren't already in Smash. Being in Smash at some point before doesn't, in my opinion, increase a character's merits beyond, say, the popularity and visibility they gain from their Smash appearance. But in the case of the Trainer, their merits would be high enough to call them deserving without taking into account any gains they've made from being in Smash, even if they wouldn't necessarily be expected if we'd never gotten a character much like them before.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah like, let's be real here. If you're using the "would you say they're deserving if they weren't already in Smash" argument, you'd need to do that for a lot more than just Wii Fit Trainer.

Even leaving aside retro characters being potential low hanging fruit, would a second and third Link, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Jigglypuff, Ivysaur, Pichu, Roy, Piranha Plant, Min Min (since Spring Man would've been the more obvious pick), Robin (see Min Min but swap Spring Man for Chrom), or hell, even Falco really be in a better position?

Like you could absolutely argue that Wii Fit Trainer has merit just for the astronomical sales of Wii Fit.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Do they though?

I think Wii Fit deserved a character based on its achievement, even if no one expected or really wanted one. That said, when your best option is a character who isn't the player/lead, face, mascot, or popular (which WFT wasn't prior to Smash), and is basically a generic, sentient dummy, the series maybe not being the most conducive for representation, and passing it over for other options isn't an unreasonable stance either.

But, on the basis of being a representation for Wii Fit, are they still a sensible choice? I think so.

Though true, if WFT never made it, few would care about or bemoan Wii Fit's absence, and even fewer the trainer. And I understand every character is someone's favorite character, but WFT seems to be one of the more forgotten additions who will probably not be among the most demanded to return if/when cut. And just as a character, in terms of design and personality (though the blandness is deliberate), in terms of place in the series, being just... an instructor, in terms of being forgettable and mediocre competitively in Smash, they're, imo, just kinda... ehh.

But I don't look at the character as someone who doesn't deserve to be there. Just someone I find... uninteresting.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be real with you guys, I have always said this back then and I say it now after years again... one of the biggest problems with the smash fandom is the constant usage of "deserve", when such concept has never been how and why a character gets chosen for the roster. The reasons we can truly believe from this side of the product, the consumer side, is that characters have gotten in the game due to either: promoting something new; pleasing a huge fan demand request; or nintendo's own picks. Not such thing as a character getting in because it deserved it by someone's bias.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing is, health and/or educational media has been something that's part of a lot of Nintendo's history. Between the early edutainment games on the NES/Famicom, Mario Paint on SNES, the creative Mario works stuff on the 64DD, Brain Age on the DS, the original Wii Fit, and Ring Fit Adventure? They've always been willing to venture into games with a purpose beyond just entertainment, whether they be based around creative exploration, intellectual exercises, or physical health. In lot of ways the WFT is the most practical character that one could have really put in from that legacy of releases circa Smash 4.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
As a Geno supporter and Mario RPG megafan, I don't think the remake is a guarantee of anything Smash wise, as the game itself could be just a one time project to better preserve an older title and be a Mario role playing title to fill the gap until the next Paper Mario.

However if the game is successful enough that a sequel starts getting in development, possibly around the same time the next SSB is? That could be a different story, as one could argue a Geno inclusion would shift from a fan support pick to a promotional one, and that's an entirely new paradigm. It would rely on timing and such a character being seen as worth it vs other prominent SE figures, but it would give him a context far more favorable than that of just support from a Smash fandom.
To be honest while I don't see Geno as a lock or anything, I don't think he really needs a sequel to gets in. We had plenty of one off characters such as Min Min, Lucas and Ness or most of the Fire emblem cast, all of them having way less suport than Geno. But I think timing will be very important for Geno. Sakurai said that for Robin, starting Smash 4 development only 6 months later or earlier he probably wouldn't have been considered. So I think Geno's chances will be highest if the next Smash development starts next year, and with each passing year his chances will lower.

I think Geno's bigger competition than Waluigi (since there's room for both), comes from Square and third-parties in general.

If we get Ultimate DX, it's a non-issue, but if not, we'd have to be concerned about the priority of Geno next to Cloud, Sephiroth, Hero and Sora. They will ensure newcomers get a certain priority that won't be afforded to all vets, but those are four pretty big characters.

And then you have to look at other Square characters. Geno has a stronger case now, but you still have to consider he'd still only get in as a fanbase choice, and those are pretty limited compared to just a normal third-party addition, which could go to a character of much higher overall recognition, like 2B, or another FF character (especially if someone like Seph doesn't make it back). Or, and also helped if he does get his own remake, Crono.
Tbh I'd argue that Geno is on top of Square enix potential newcomer. Even with a Chrono remake, I think that Geno support would help him because he seems more popular than Chrono. And for 2B, I think at this point the timing will hurt her a lot. I mean, assuming the next Smash starts development around 2024 to 2026 at the latest, Nier automata would be 7 to 9 year old. This might not totally killed her chances, but it's something to keep in mind (see my previous point about Robin in Smash 4). It also doesn't help that if Nier have a sequel, I doubt 2B would be the protagonist, so if she's starting to get overshadowed by other characters in her own franchise it would hurt her even more.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah like, let's be real here. If you're using the "would you say they're deserving if they weren't already in Smash" argument, you'd need to do that for a lot more than just Wii Fit Trainer.

Even leaving aside retro characters being potential low hanging fruit, would a second and third Link, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Jigglypuff, Ivysaur, Pichu, Roy, Piranha Plant, Min Min (since Spring Man would've been the more obvious pick), Robin (see Min Min but swap Spring Man for Chrom), or hell, even Falco really be in a better position?

Like you could absolutely argue that Wii Fit Trainer has merit just for the astronomical sales of Wii Fit.
On the flipside, you could also argue for a 1-2 Switch rep because the first game sold surprisingly well, even outselling a bunch of later stuff.

Yes, I'm thinking about Horace the Horse in Smash, how could you tell?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I try to avoid the term deserve when describing characters, just like the term iconic. I really only use them if already part of the conversation. I think there are some characters at the top that we can all agree count as these things, but since they are subjective qualifiers, eventually the argument will meander around who is or isn't deserving/iconic, which really isn't the point, since Smash will include characters people find neither.

Or, if you think every character we've got is deserving/iconic, chances are, once they're added, you'll find every future inclusion deserving/iconic as well.

Tbh I'd argue that Geno is on top of Square enix potential newcomer. Even with a Chrono remake, I think that Geno support would help him because he seems more popular than Chrono.
I also think Geno is likelier than Crono, and will continue to be under this status quo. But, and I don't usually like doing this because I think it's premature, I do think getting an HD-2D Chrono Trigger is only a matter of time, and I think, once that happens, it will bring them closer together, chance-wise.

The question is when that will happen, and where Smash development will be at that time.

And for 2B, I think at this point the timing will hurt her a lot. I mean, assuming the next Smash starts development around 2024 to 2026 at the latest, Nier automata would be 7 to 9 year old. This might not totally killed her chances, but it's something to keep in mind (see my previous point about Robin in Smash 4). It also doesn't help that if Nier have a sequel, I doubt 2B would be the protagonist, so if she's starting to get overshadowed by other characters in her own franchise it would hurt her even more.
I think we'll have to gauge 2B and Nier's popularity and library closer to DLC to get a more accurate reading of her chances. Right now she's still quite a generally popular character, especially in Japan. If there's no future developments for Nier between now and DLC, her chances will look worse, but I would think Square still has bigger designs for the IP. I guess we'll see. Square's dumb fairly often.

But I think what helps 2B is she's one of the characters that would benefit from but doesn't really require fanbase popularity because she's just generally popular, so she can get in like the majority of third-parties rather than the fan favorites. And there are more slots for those kind of characters.

Also Geno is JRPG, but Crono and 2B are sword, anime, and JRPG, so that's all three things Smash cares about. They're basically in already. 😝

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
one of the biggest problems with the smash fandom is the constant usage of "deserve", when such concept has never been how and why a character gets chosen for the roster.
Of course it isn't. Undeserving characters have been getting into Smash since Melee.

But it's how characters SHOULD be chosen for the roster.

Don't confuse people wishlisting with people predicting.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Was Wii Fit huge? Absolutely. It was a big deal. Nowhere near Wii Sports, but still very much a big deal. But did Wii Fit Trainer deserve the slot? That is really hard to say.
The primary thing that the Wii Fit Trainers seem to have to justify their appearance in Smash is that their game was not only a huge success but it also sold more than Super Mario Bros. So it's really kind of hard to argue that when talking Nintendo IPs.

Though, personally, I never really cared for the characters getting in.

I'm gonna be real with you guys, I have always said this back then and I say it now after years again... one of the biggest problems with the smash fandom is the constant usage of "deserve", when such concept has never been how and why a character gets chosen for the roster. The reasons we can truly believe from this side of the product, the consumer side, is that characters have gotten in the game due to either: promoting something new; pleasing a huge fan demand request; or nintendo's own picks. Not such thing as a character getting in because it deserved it by someone's bias.
I do think a series significance plays a part too, which is where the deserve part comes in. Sometimes, Sakurai tends to point out what a series did or what it achieved and its influence on the industry (like with King of Fighters or Minecraft). People still believe in the whole "video game history" when it comes to Smash.

Though I tend to avoid using the word "deserve" myself and instead just say this character "makes sense" or "is fitting" for Smash.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ok, who would be the next joke character for smash bros? Every new installment has gotten one.

1000008206.jpg

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ah, yes, "deserve" is a loaded word in Smash fandom. But it is a convenient albeit admittedly flawed term.

When people say a character is deserving they aren't necessarily talking about entitlement or suggesting their opinion is the only one worth considering. Usually it's just an easy way to express the opinion that they think that character should be in, ideally in the context of merit-based discussion and with a particular ballpark roster size in mind.

Though I can understand wanting to avoid the term because of the connotations related to entitlement and such. Even if traditionally much of the aversion seemed to me to come from those wanting to push "uniqueness" and moveset potential as the should-be drivers of demand rather than merit.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ah, yes, "deserve" is a loaded word in Smash fandom. But it is a convenient albeit admittedly flawed term.

When people say a character is deserving they aren't necessarily talking about entitlement or suggesting their opinion is the only one worth considering. Usually it's just an easy way to express the opinion that they think that character should be in, ideally in the context of merit-based discussion and with a particular ballpark roster size in mind.

Though I can understand wanting to avoid the term because of the connotations related to entitlement and such. Even if traditionally much of the aversion seemed to me to come from those wanting to push "uniqueness" and moveset potential as the should-be drivers of demand rather than merit.
I'd have to agree. In that case, I would not say deserve would be the right one to use here, especially if it is just based on opinion. Maybe "this character is my pick" or something like that would be better?

Either way, there are some characters that deserve to get into Smash. There are even some characters with flaws or reasons they could or should not get in (depending on the character) that I don't think many people consider when talking about them and that they just want them. I know Smash is a celebration of gaming, and many characters have gotten in regardless despite not having much for them, but my point is, I don't think people consider how the characters may turn out or how they'll be if the fans get their character in Smash. I mean, favorite character does not always mean favorite Smash character in the end.

Other than that, such fans put their picks when they call them "deserving" on a high pedestal, when there could be reasons they may not be high up there. Some characters did not even get in without the use of the ballot. That said, some people just don't look at the full picture of the potential and possibilities of their wanted character being a fighter and just look before they leap. Some characters just don't have merit. Uniqueness and moveset potential is not always enough, or not enough in most cases, it seems.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

Laniv

Smash Champion
Ok, who would be the next joke character for smash bros? Every new installment has gotten one.

Joke character as in Piranha Plant "wow! Nobody expected this!" flavor, or Dan Hibiki "purposely weak" flavor? Nintendo DS if the former (with Nintendo 3DS as an echo), and either Glass Joe or Magikarp if the latter.

And Sandbag for both.:4pacman:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While remakes normally don't impact Smash much, with Gerudo Valley being added to Smash for 3DS because of Ocarina of Time 3D and potentially FireRed and LeafGreen influencing Pokemon Trainer's inclusion, Geno... well, isn't really normal. He's a one-off that has remained a key name in Smash speculation (albeit one that ebbs and flows in prominence) solely off of popularity for over 15 years. That's what I've always admired about the character. I know a lot of people have a very love-hate relationship with Geno's fanbase, but it's undeniable they have "never say die"-tier loyalty for the guy. That alone allows him to punch pretty heavily out of his weight class.

The Mario RPG remake also defeats a lot of the biggest arguments against his inclusion:
  • Nintendo isn't willing to go off their way to negotiate with Square to include him, at least not to the extent necessary to make him a fighter.
    • Negotiating a full remake of a game is, presumably, a lot more complicated and difficult than negotiating a Smash fighter from that game. Nintendo presumably also has a lot more to gain from a remake than a single Smash fighter (especially one in the base game), but it goes to show there is enough value generally to entertain negotiating with Square for new SMRPG content.
  • Square has no interest in adding Geno when they have bigger fish they'd like to see in Smash.
    • While Square's corporate side still would likely prefer someone like, say, 2B or FF16 Man in Smash, there's now a genuine argument to be made that Square gains from having Geno in Smash beyond just licensing fees. Geno in Smash gives the Super Mario RPG remake longer legs than it otherwise would have. This point is also significantly mitigated by the fact that many of Square's biggest characters are already in Smash (although it remains to be seen if they return).
  • Geno is a one-off character from almost 30 years ago that most people under that age wouldn't recognize.
    • This one is relatively self-explanatory.
Point is, while one remake alone wouldn't really be enough for a character in Geno's position to be a real candidate for Smash, Geno's absurd popularity in Smash circles may give him the fuel efficiency to actually make it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While remakes normally don't impact Smash much, with Gerudo Valley being added to Smash for 3DS because of Ocarina of Time 3D and potentially FireRed and LeafGreen influencing Pokemon Trainer's inclusion, Geno... well, isn't really normal. He's a one-off that has remained a key name in Smash speculation (albeit one that ebbs and flows in prominence) solely off of popularity for over 15 years. That's what I've always admired about the character. I know a lot of people have a very love-hate relationship with Geno's fanbase, but it's undeniable they have "never say die"-tier loyalty for the guy. That alone allows him to punch pretty heavily out of his weight class.

The Mario RPG remake also defeats a lot of the biggest arguments against his inclusion:
  • Nintendo isn't willing to go off their way to negotiate with Square to include him, at least not to the extent necessary to make him a fighter.
    • Negotiating a full remake of a game is, presumably, a lot more complicated and difficult than negotiating a Smash fighter from that game. Nintendo presumably also has a lot more to gain from a remake than a single Smash fighter (especially one in the base game), but it goes to show there is enough value generally to entertain negotiating with Square for new SMRPG content.
  • Square has no interest in adding Geno when they have bigger fish they'd like to see in Smash.
    • While Square's corporate side still would likely prefer someone like, say, 2B or FF16 Man in Smash, there's now a genuine argument to be made that Square gains from having Geno in Smash beyond just licensing fees. Geno in Smash gives the Super Mario RPG remake longer legs than it otherwise would have. This point is also significantly mitigated by the fact that many of Square's biggest characters are already in Smash (although it remains to be seen if they return).
  • Geno is a one-off character from almost 30 years ago that most people under that age wouldn't recognize.
    • This one is relatively self-explanatory.
Point is, while one remake alone wouldn't really be enough for a character in Geno's position to be a real candidate for Smash, Geno's absurd popularity in Smash circles may give him the fuel efficiency to actually make it.
All it takes is one spark and some kindling to reignite the flames. The small fire was there, it was just too small for the majority to see and probably ignore as it wasn't worth their time to maintain and stay.

Now it got fuel and care, majority now are like.....
1000008232.jpg

Top Bottom