• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
We aren't.

He's high on the list because he was free. Period. Without that, he'd been down in the Byleth range.
He was free for a few months out of almost 5 years Ult. Relatively short.

Saying Byleth ranges for a Mario Character is laughable. Plant is easily above Terry, Banjo, Hero sales wise. Probably up there with Sephiroth and Joker without the free merit

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Like, 90% of the sales of everything happen in the first few months of it being released.

Or the reverse...****ing Hero...
I don’t mind Hero besides his down special being difficult to use effectively but I main Ganondorf so I’m used to a few nearly useless moves on a character. Hero’s down special is fun to mess around with against the AI but I wouldn’t trust myself with it against a person. I hear you though, I really like Lucario, Meta Knight, Sheik, and Mega Man but I’m not great with any of them.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
All of which are invalid, because those are games that were sold both physically AND digitally.

The simple fact is, a lot more people buy games digitally now than they did even just 5 years ago. The older games look like they sold less, because more people were buying the physical copies then.

Conversely, the Smash DLC exists entirely as digital sales via the Nintendo marketplace. The marketplace information includes the entirely of Smash's DLC sales. The theory that the digital sales are recency biased is based on shoddy evidence.

Except all else isn't equal. Let's take one of your examples:
Two physical/digital Pokemon games. Equal right? Except no. One of those is a brand new Gen of the type which Pokemon collectors would be more inclined to want to own a physical copy for their bookshelves. While the other is a cheaper looking remake of an older game, which they likely already own physical copies of the original. Something Pokemon fans would be much more comfortable downloading digitally, playing through, and then uninstalling.
There is a section on the eShop menu titled 'best sellers'. Between 'great deals' and 'coming soon'. Go look at it. Go look at the rankings. Pikmin 1+2 is above Minecraft, Smash, BotW, Among Us, Animal Crossing, etc. It has been out for one day. This clearly isn't all-time, this is clearly based on recency.

I think we can agree on that.

Now, go to the search function, where you'd search for the Smash DLC, and go to 'other search filters'. Don't type any keywords in, select 'software' and search. Rank it by 'best sellers' and ignore the free downloads. What do you see? It's the exact. same. ranking. isn't it? And it's just the digital sales.

Or, if you want, you can type in something like 'Mario', filter software only, ignore the free stuff, and check. It will be the exact same ranking of Mario games as on the 'best sellers' page. The page where there's a one day old Pikmin game above Minecraft in digital sales.

The 'best sellers' function is based around recency. Not all-time.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Finishing up the Pokemon SCCC article, should be out by next week.

Here are a few fun tidbits I will share with yall.
  • Want between the top two characters for this section was decided by a single decimal point.
  • One of the best performing Pokemon want wise was one that would not have been on the poll if it was not for fan suggestions
  • Chance was... less close. The poll respondents seem to have selected a front runner for the next Pokemon... for now.
Next time will be Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and Mother. Right now I also think we have enough room to include Kid Icarus as well. If you have any last minute suggestions for those four, speak soon or forever hold your peace.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Man, you really hate how Hero was plays, huh? Even though I'm not good with him, I really like how they designed him. It feels like he came straight from an RPG.
Yeah, the idea is really cool, it’s just really hard to use the effect you want in a split second. I don’t think there’s really a way around it for multiplayer. If Smash was just a single player game, slowing the game down for a few seconds while in the menu like Links aerial arrow shots in BotW would be cool. I could imagine that getting annoying for other players so it’s understandable why they didn’t go that route.

On another note, I just watched a really interesting Arlo video where he seems to think that Mario and Wario are no longer voiced by Charles Martinet. If this is true, I hope he’s okay and just deciding to retire instead of something worse like health issues.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, the idea is really cool, it’s just really hard to use the effect you want in a split second. I don’t think there’s really a way around it for multiplayer. If Smash was just a single player game, slowing the game down for a few seconds while in the menu like Links aerial arrow shots in BotW would be cool. I could imagine that getting annoying for other players so it’s understandable why they didn’t go that route.

On another note, I just watched a really interesting Arlo video where he seems to think that Mario and Wario are no longer voiced by Charles Martinet. If this is true, I hope he’s okay and just deciding to retire instead of something worse like health issues.

No, it's still Charles. They finally gave Mario new voicelines for Wonder, but people are so used to the old ones that they think it's a different actor.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's not easy. But for me, I'm not surprised. I'm not an RPG fan so me not being able to play Hero all that well fits me quite perfectly. lol Still, I just love to see all these elements taken from all these different games and used in these movesets.

He just did some voice acting in the Super Mario Bros movie so...I don't know. I wouldn't be so quick to panic over it. He still sounds the same to me, though.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Next time will be Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and Mother. Right now I also think we have enough room to include Kid Icarus as well. If you have any last minute suggestions for those four, speak soon or forever hold your peace.
I'm guessing you already have her but Lyn should be on there.

Also just out of curiosity how will Xeno3 chars be handled? Will there be separate options for solo Noah, solo Mio, duo Noah/Mio?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With the Super Mario RPG remake, I know that might not be the case, but I see this as a sign that Geno will be coming as a newcomer in a future Super Smash Bros. game.
Maybe. There's an actual chance now for Geno yeah. But competition in the Mario newcomer department is high. Unless they just give Geno his own emblem and add him strictly as a SMRPG newcomer, which I could see happen too.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Man, you really hate how Hero plays, huh? Even though I'm not good with him, I really like how they designed him. It feels like he came straight from an RPG.
Yeah, but you know what plays terribly in a fighting game? Turn-based RPG mechanics.

Being true to the source game when the source game's gameplay is incompatible is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice

Sounds like Charles to me in Wonder, at the very least.
(click link if video isn't playing)

Sounds the same to me. If anything he actually sounds younger here than he does in some other recent entries. Maybe his voice is being pitched up like it is in the Mario Kart games?

I'm not sure about Wario, though. People say he sounds like he does in Gold, but I haven't really played that game's story so I wouldn't know. Either way I kinda doubt they're replacing Charles. I'd sooner expect them to recycle voice lines than hire someone new so soon.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

that wannabe muppet doesn't know what he's talking about

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Here's a random thought about the Mario RPG remake that arguably does kinda help Geno's standing...sort of.

It's actually going to be the very first time SMRPG has ever seen a physical release over in Europe. Like yes, it technically was retroactively re-released there through VC and SNES Classic, but simple ROM dumps aside, this is the first time Eurobros have actually gotten this game properly released there.

It's kinda noteworthy in that, since Smash 4, literally every single newcomer introduced has been from a game with a proper physical worldwide release (NA, PAL and Japan). To this day, there are only four characters that were introduced into the series when their original game lacked such:

Ness (Earthbound once again wasn't released in PAL territories until the Wii U VC)
Marth
Lucas
Roy

(fun fact: Marth is the only one whose original game since then did get a true physical worldwide release, through a remake of his first game, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, on DS)

Of course, notice how these were limited to the earlier installments in Smash's life. Also consider how Marth and Roy were supposed to be removed from all non-JP versions of Melee, or how Lucas only got in Brawl because Sakurai was unaware that Mother 3 wasn't being localized.

Might not mean much for Geno in the long run, but it might be something to consider.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If I had to bet on it, I’d say that Geno is more likely than not at this point. It’s still far from certain but I believe that the combination of Sakurai’s acknowledgement of his popularity with the Smash fanbase with his recent return to relevancy gives him a strong shot. Before this, I felt that there was a relatively small chance of him being playable because the character hadn’t appeared in so long and isn’t widely talked about outside of Smash. Still, I always thought he was always on the table as a possibility due to fan demand which gave us a Mii outfit in two games. The big question now is whether we get two Mario newcomers in Geno and Waluigi or they just go with one. There is still the chance that we could get another surprise character like Pirahna Plant or even nothing at all instead.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If I had to bet on it, I’d say that Geno is more likely than not at this point. It’s still far from certain but I believe that the combination of Sakurai’s acknowledgement of his popularity with the Smash fanbase with his recent return to relevancy gives him a strong shot. Before this, I felt that there was a relatively small chance of him being playable because the character hadn’t appeared in so long and isn’t widely talked about outside of Smash. Still, I always thought he was always on the table as a possibility due to fan demand which gave us a Mii outfit in two games. The big question now is whether we get two Mario newcomers in Geno and Waluigi or they just go with one. There is still the chance that we could get another surprise character like Pirahna Plant or even nothing at all instead.
or toad

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, Toad’s a strong possibility too. He was a fairly prominent character in the Mario movie and is the last regularly playable character from the mainline platformer games not yet playable in Smash. The only real obstacle is if Nintendo and Sakurai feel content with his inclusion in Peach and Daisy’s movesets that they don’t feel that he is a priority to break off to his own character compared to other options. It’s totally possible that we could get Toad while leaving Peach and Daisy as they are without removing him. They did the same for Chrom.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe. There's an actual chance now for Geno yeah. But competition in the Mario newcomer department is high. Unless they just give Geno his own emblem and add him strictly as a SMRPG newcomer, which I could see happen too.
I definitely don't think he'd get a unique emblem. Not only do Geno and Mallow use the standard Mario emblem in Ultimate, but like...they didn't even give Mario Kart a separate emblem despite it being considered a different series internally in Ultimate.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How would everyone feel if we got Mallow instead of Geno? I’ve always preferred Mallow but he never really seems to get anywhere as much support as Geno. How about a potential duo character with both of them? Not saying either of these options is very likely as Geno is the one with the most support but it’s just something to think about.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Two Mario newcomers in the next game is more likely than not. Every game except for Brawl has added two Mario fighters in the roster. I'm betting on Waluigi and Geno getting in together in the base game next time.
I don’t even think three is totally out of the question after all the DLC is finished. Waluigi, Geno, and Toad all have valid reasons for being chosen. I’m personally partial to Mario mooks like Goomba and Boo but I feel there are a bit less likely as we just got Piranha Plant in Ultimate. Maybe we could even get something completely out of left field like Wart. Pauline is another option.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
How would everyone feel if we got Mallow instead of Geno? I’ve always preferred Mallow but he never really seems to get anywhere as much support as Geno. How about a potential duo character with both of them? Not saying either of these options is very likely as Geno is the one with the most support but it’s just something to think about.
I'd be okay either way but I'd feel bad for Geno fans.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can see Mallow supporting Geno as he is the spellcaster of the group in SMRPG. Bringing both known characters into one package.

Also, which indie characters still have a shot in the next smash bros game?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I knew the SMRPG Remake reveal would pump toxic life back into this threads veins. I used to take pride in being a hater but as a humbled individual I think Geno would be okay. He looks cool.

Waluigi first though, pls and thank you. :waluigirose:
Yeah, but yuo know what plays terribly in a fighting game? Turn-based RPG mechanics.

Being true to the source game when the source game's gameplay is incompatible is a bad thing.
You’re just mad I topdecked Snooze. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Also, which indie characters still have a shot in the next smash bros game?
Sans, Shovel Knight, ummm can't remember any more atm...

Speaking of indie stuff that rpg that eschews spoken dialog... Brilliant. Save money on voice acting and introducing a marvelous storytelling gimmick like that movie where you have to whisper or aliens eat you.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I prefer Mallow because IMO he fits the Mario universe more and is, in all honesty, more of a character. But putting him in over Geno would be worse than tone-deaf. It would probably be read as an act of malice.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Man....it's honestly crazy that people are actively betting on Geno for next game now. Look how much one announcement can change things.
Yeah, though the worrywart in me can't help but feel we may be jumping the gun a bit. I mean, the remake was LITERALLY JUST ANNOUNCED. For all we know it might not even be a good remake. And that's without accounting for whether or not the next Smash has already started development or not. Remember, timing is VERY important here.

Basically what I'm trying to say is... keep things in check. We've all been burned before around these parts, it could totally happen again.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Man....it's honestly crazy that people are actively betting on Geno for next game now. Look how much one announcement can change things.

Anyway I wanted a Taito character for our next Squeenix rep but this'll do
If it were just the remake, I wouldn’t put too much stock in it but combined with his years of support and two appearances as a Mii outfit make me think he has a real shot. He’s not really one of my favorite characters in games but I did really enjoy Super Mario RPG so I’d be happy to see him. One of my most wanted characters is another supporting character from an SNES JRPG in Magus so I can relate to Geno fans.

I’m never one to say anything is ever a sure thing or impossible. I think it’s best to keep an open mind no matter what happens. Sakurai seems to love his surprises and that’s one of the cool things about Smash.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Welcome to Smash speculation lol

That's how things always go, character fanbases come and go and become dormant until they're suddenly given a shot in the arm by a new announcement or interview or whatever. That's already what happened with Geno, his online fanbase kinda scattered away after Brawl but then came back in full swing for Ultimate because Sakurai actually directly acknowledged his popularity with the Mii outfit at the end of Smash 4.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
With stuff like Mario RPG and Advance Wars back in the spotlight, Smash 6 speculation is gonna be wilding

Just wait til they announce that Golden Sun ARPG
Golden Sun was a cool game. I’d be happy to see Isaac in Smash and he has some pretty unique abilities that could be a lot of fun.

I’m personally still hoping for either a Chrono Trigger remake with DBFZ like visuals or a completely new game in the series. Magus is among my favorite video game characters and it would be awesome to see him in Smash someday. He could pull from both Trigger and from Guile in Cross as they were originally meant to be the same character. It would be cool to see that retconned to be true again. Guile could then be an alternate outfit of Magus like Alph is to Olimar.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
On the topic of announcements and revitilized support, how are you all feeling about the chances of a WarioWare newcomer in the next game after we just had Move It revealed? We haven't had two WarioWare games in the same system ever since the 2000s, the franchise seems to be doing much better than it did in the 2010s.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Yeah, but yuo know what plays terribly in a fighting game? Turn-based RPG mechanics.

Well, like I said, it's not easy, especially for me. But I am impressed at how some people are able to pull it off during a match. It just depends on who's good at that kind of playstyle.

Top Bottom