• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Sure but, even those remakes are pretty obscure. Only come out on handheld systems and not to much fanfare. Don't get me wrong, I liked Tokyo Rumble and loved Rivals Showdown, but most people still aren't aware of them.

River City Ransom and, now, to a lesser extent maybe, River City Girls, are kinda the only games in the franchise with any kind of widespread recognition.

The fact that these songs reappeared in games that are almost as obscure as the original game they came from, doesn't really help on the recognizability front.
Maybe but I think the series recognition has grown over the years to the point that fans are well-aware of those games, especially now that the rest of the NES games are finally localized.

Still, there's no denying that these games are highly popular in Japan and the Smash team would pick the themes that are considered the best, not just the most recognizable. So with Downtown Nekketsu March Super-Awesome Field Day being the most popular game in the series over there, there's no doubt in my mind they will be including themes from that game too.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Back in Late 2017-Early 2018, i was thinking on the Mega Stone. But instead of turning into a Mega Evolved form, it would be the definitive form, the apex for the respective characters. Think like Mega Man turns into Mega Man x (even if they are different characters like in this case).
It probably wouldn't work with every characters because some have really no potential or apex form, but here's some idea:
Mario: Giga cat Mario from Bowser fury
Bowser: Fury Bowser
Young Link: Fierce deity Link
Ganondorf: OOT Ganon
Samus: Metroid suit
Ridley: Proteus Ridley
Byleth: Legendary Byleth
Pyra/Mythra: Pneuma
Sephiroth: Safer Sephiroth
Sonic: Hyper Sonic
Ryu: Evil Ryu
Joker: He have Satanael instead of Arsene
Sora: Ultimate form
Kazuya: Devil Kazuya

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
It probably wouldn't work with every characters because some have really no potential or apex form, but here's some idea:
Luigi's """mega evolved""" form should be Super Dimentio.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How about this for Duck Hunt?

The Shooter.

For those unaware, the Duck Hunt character is actually a trio, with the third member, the shooter, being "outside" the game. With the Mega Stone, the shooter would come and replace the dog and duck for a while, and maintains many of the same moves as the two while having some of their own.

Also, T-Rex Banjo and Dragon Kazooie as a Mega Stone form for Banjo and Kazooie.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ganondorf already becomes OOT Ganon though.

Is this kind of like an alternate Final Smash or a transformation like the Metal Cap? It does feel like it's very difficult to implement, and doesn't help if it cannot work with all.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Maybe but I think the series recognition has grown over the years to the point that fans are well-aware of those games, especially now that the rest of the NES games are finally localized.

Still, there's no denying that these games are highly popular in Japan and the Smash team would pick the themes that are considered the best, not just the most recognizable. So with Downtown Nekketsu March Super-Awesome Field Day being the most popular game in the series over there, there's no doubt in my mind they will be including themes from that game too.
Idk, if DarthEnder is saying your retro game is too obscure... it's too obscure.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Tiger-Heli had a banging soundtrack. I'd love for some music in Smash. But was it obscure? I think so...

Actually there's one other whose name I can't remember but you play as a 6 wheeled tank that can jump lol! Hard as hell that game was... Fun too, spent a whole afternoon trying to beat it but then I had to leave my friend's house and we never played it again.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys. At this point, do you think the Yoshi franchise should be it's own franchise? Yoshi stars in a lot of games, but they don't really have as much identity as Donkey Kong and Wario games.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hey guys. At this point, do you think the Yoshi franchise should be it's own franchise? Yoshi stars in a lot of games, but they don't really have as much identity as Donkey Kong and Wario games.
Yoshi having his own franchise is pretty much a remnant of Smash 64's design philosophy of adding the biggest stars from the biggest franchises Nintendo had at the time.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I might be with only one link if a they give him an all purpose moveset and b give him Costumes like the new links awekening costume from Totk its sooo cute

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If things like Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario don't get their own icons then no, probably not. But at the time of the series being added, yeah, it made sense. And I'm not sure it makes more sense to consolidate it now than to just leave it.

It being its own series probably does lead it to getting slightly more content than it would otherwise anyway.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think every "franchise" that appeared first in Mario is a spin off of Mario so I still just see them all as Mario games even if it's a dk game with no Mario in it for instance. Brand dilution is the inevitable outcome of Western marketing strategies of the 80s and unfortunately I'll always be bought by that strategy. Buuuut I do think beyond my personally flawed outlook that Yoshi should be considered a strong side series and like you said maybe not as big as DK or Wario but maybe it's an unnecessary distinction.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As an example from the actual Mario series instead of Smash, Mario Kart 8 DX treats Yoshi’s Island like it’s its own series, since the Yoshi’s Island track has its own currency instead of coins and has unique music at the end of the race instead of the usual music, similar to other crossover tracks.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Idk, if DarthEnder is saying your retro game is too obscure... it's too obscure.
Well, like they said, it's not obscure...in Japan. But something that's only recognizable in Japan is still pretty obscure, no matter how popular it is there.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I personally disagree. Maybe I would have agreed around Brawl era when Yoshi didn't get a lot of game (last Yoshi game before Wooly world was Topsy turvy on the GBA), but I think Good feel did a very good job to differentiate Yoshi games from typical Mario platformers with more unique worlds, art style, music and enemies with Wooly world and Crafted world.

If things like Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario don't get their own icons then no, probably not. But at the time of the series being added, yeah, it made sense. And I'm not sure it makes more sense to consolidate it now than to just leave it.

It being its own series probably does lead it to getting slightly more content than it would otherwise anyway.
To be fair the way Smash treat Mario spin-off franchise is pretty inconsistent. Mario kart doesn't have is own icon, but it has separate music for some reason.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Too obscure for what?

And you know, that's unusual for you to just be going along with somebody else comment like that.

Well, like they said, it's not obscure...in Japan. But something that's only recognizable in Japan is still pretty obscure, no matter how popular it is there.
It is recognizable outside of Japan too, which why it had fan translations and two remakes released outside of it before it was officially localized. Sure, it may not be as popular as it is in Japan (which is no surprise) but fans outside of it are definitely aware of it, especially if both remakes are already released outside of it.

Though in the end, obscure or not, if Kunio and Riki gets in, they're going to add themes from that game. Its popularity in Japan and exposure outside of it are all the reasons it need. There's no arguing that.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Like a reverse StarTropics situation? IDK why, but that was the first thing that came to mind reading this.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I mean... Yoshi the series definitely struggles to carve an identity of its own (having like, three characters that can definitively be called Yoshi characters doesn't help. But that's a post for another day), but the recent Yoshi games have taken some decent steps. So, yeah, I think it does warrant its own franchise.

I am now imagining the alternate universe where Yoshi is classified as a Mario character, but Luigi's Mansion is now its own series so Luigi is just separate from the other Mario characters. At least there, King Boo's inclusion would be a bit more justified.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My thought has always been that Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey King are both Mario characters as well as their own thing. I don’t think it has to be one or the other. As long as the character still makes regular appearances in spin-offs like Mario Kart or the sports games, that’s enough for me to still count them as Mario characters. Yoshi even still makes appearances in the mainline Mario games like Galaxy 2. If a character is no longer a Mario character just because they have their own series, then that applies to Luigi, Toad, and Peach as well.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Now that I think about it, isn't Wrecking Crew of all things treated as seperate from Mario in Smash? Like, it has its own insignia and everything...
Seems like it. I would love to see Foreman Spike as a playable character in a future Smash Bros. game. I even made a moveset for him once.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I don't know how you will take what I write, but I read somewhere that the Master Hand represents the hand of any child who plays with the figures of video game characters, but I do not write this to extinguish the hopes of the creation of the Nintendo Cinematic Universe that maybe there will end up being a Super Smash Bros. movie too, but I just don't know what to believe anymore. I would like to create a Nintendo Cinematic Universe that culminates in a Super Smash Bros. movie with The Super Mario Bros. Movie to be the first of the series and I want it to be as we all imagine it. That is, Master Hand should not represent anyone's hand, be the real villain along with Crazy Hand who truly threaten the Nintendo multiverse and maybe even the universes of third-party video games, and the characters should be real and not figures that he manipulates someone.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I wonder if they make a Super Smash Bros. movie, will Master Hand appear alone or with Crazy Hand?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wonder if they make a Super Smash Bros. movie, will Master Hand appear alone or with Crazy Hand?
That could happen if Nintendo decides to go the MCU route with their movies, with the Super Smash Bros. movies being their equivalent to the Avengers films.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Master Hand joining the ranks of the culturally evergreen cinematic villains alongside the likes of Darth Vader, the Joker, and Thanos sounds like one of those "hard to picture it until it happens" types of things.
If Nintendo does make a full-on cinematic universe, though, I don't even know who would be the big bad (assuming there is one).

Ivander

Smash Legend
Master Hand joining the ranks of the culturally evergreen cinematic villains alongside the likes of Darth Vader, the Joker, and Thanos sounds like one of those "hard to picture it until it happens" types of things.
If Nintendo does make a full-on cinematic universe, though, I don't even know who would be the big bad (assuming there is one).
While Master Hand has always had an enigmatic characteristic to them, what with them appearing from a void of stars, it's relation to Crazy Hand and having Master Core burst out of Master Hand after beating them in Wii U/3DS, you have Brawl which had Master Hand be manipulated by Tabuu and Ultimate where it was controlled by Galeem and eventually freed and helps the characters. Really hard to know where Master Hand fits in the villain spectrum, but there are times Master Hand feels less like a villain and more of a character testing the Nintendo characters/the player.

Also, you can easily have Bowser and/or Ganondorf as a first villain for a Nintendo Crossover film, what with Giga Bowser and the one Event Match where Giga Bowser, Ganondorf and Mewtwo teamed up on the player, not to mention Bowser and Ganondorf's team-up in Subspace Emissary.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
While Master Hand has always had an enigmatic characteristic to them, what with them appearing from a void of stars, it's relation to Crazy Hand and having Master Core burst out of Master Hand after beating them in Wii U/3DS, you have Brawl which had Master Hand be manipulated by Tabuu and Ultimate where it was controlled by Galeem and eventually freed and helps the characters. Really hard to know where Master Hand fits in the villain spectrum, but there are times Master Hand feels less like a villain and more of a character testing the Nintendo characters/the player.

Also, you can easily have Bowser and/or Ganondorf as a first villain for a Nintendo Crossover film, what with Giga Bowser and the one Event Match where Giga Bowser, Ganondorf and Mewtwo teamed up on the player, not to mention Bowser and Ganondorf's team-up in Subspace Emissary.
If a Nintendo crossover film were to happen, then something as simple as a Bowser/Ganon teamup could be one of the more likely options, yeah. In fact I almost mentioned that possibility in my last post, haha.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gonna be real. A Nintendo Cinematic Universe seems... awful.

And so does a Smash Bros movie.

I don't have faith it could be done with any sort of quality. And I'd rather have stand alone films for Nintendo franchises.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I don't know how you will take what I write, but I read somewhere that the Master Hand represents the hand of any child who plays with the figures of video game characters, but I do not write this to extinguish the hopes of the creation of the Nintendo Cinematic Universe that maybe there will end up being a Super Smash Bros. movie too, but I just don't know what to believe anymore. I would like to create a Nintendo Cinematic Universe that culminates in a Super Smash Bros. movie with The Super Mario Bros. Movie to be the first of the series and I want it to be as we all imagine it. That is, Master Hand should not represent anyone's hand, be the real villain along with Crazy Hand who truly threaten the Nintendo multiverse and maybe even the universes of third-party video games, and the characters should be real and not figures that he manipulates someone.
The characters can be all this without showing that they are a representation of anything and they can still be real even if they can be turned into trophies.

As for the Nintendo Cinematic Universe, only if it's clear that the character are all from separate worlds and not residing in just one like Marvel. Having Mario leading to all these worlds that are not really connected to his in the games is not an accurate representation.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Gonna be real. A Nintendo Cinematic Universe seems... awful.

And so does a Smash Bros movie.

I don't have faith it could be done with any sort of quality. And I'd rather have stand alone films for Nintendo franchises.
Luckily for you, I think it will be standalone films for quite a while. It's fun to speculate but they need to prove a successful game-to-screen formula for multiple franchises before a true Avengers-style crossover film could be legitimately entertained.
As for myself, I am keeping expectations low because the cinematic universe concept is just so hard to pull off with consistent quality. And because we don't know if they even have those kind of aspirations to begin with. But again it's fun to speculate.

Ivander

Smash Legend
While I think a Nintendo Crossover movie will not happen for a while and will mostly start with stand-alone movies and maybe even TV series and etc, I cannot see a Smash Bros. movie not being made, whether it'd be a Nintendo Cinematic Universe Crossover or it's own thing unrelated. Smash Bros. is just way too popular to be ignored forever. If the first Nintendo movies manage to kick off a continuous and steady release of Nintendo movies/TV series/etc, a Smash Bros. movie will happen at some point.

How good will it be? That is anyone's guess. But I can imagine that because Smash Bros. is such a big deal, that if it does happen, both Nintendo and whatever Studio that handles it will not want to mess it up and will do everything to make sure they don't mess it up for the fans and audience.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I personally just don't see how a Smash movie would really work well. Smash works because despite all of the different worlds it brings together it doesn't delve on the details, it's either simply just kids playing pretend with their favorite characters or plopping all of these characters in a random story of loosely connected events. You can't really do that with a cinematic universe since the whole point of it is to have characters you got invested in across the different movies come together for this big event, and trying something like what Smash does would immediately get people uninvested in what's going on. With that also comes the issue of somehow meshing these different worlds together and it's easier said than done considering how distinct in story, character, and tone some of the franchises are from each other.

I personally would rather keep things small and focus on the individual movies themselves instead, better to keep it simple then to get everything lost in the complexity.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think the key is with the kids with their favorite characters. Like the idea of the characters getting taken by an unknown force that brings them into a world being constantly changed and amalgamated by a child or children's imagination of their favorite characters coming together to fight each other and then eventually against the antagonist/s they've made. With at some point, the real world coming into the picture like a sort of Toy Story/Lego Movie scenario.

While that may sound completely out of left field, of the idea of a pseudo-reality warping child from a real world completely imagining and creating this imaginary amalgamated world and unknowingly bringing the actual Nintendo characters into it who at some point visit the real world, remember that we have a stage literally based on a regular Living Room where dogs are playing and furniture/toys/other objects appear on the field, as well as the Tomodachi Life stage that has the characters fighting in a house that could be mistaken for a toy house.
And then you have the Opening of the original Smash Bros. where it starts with the characters being brought onto a regular desk with regular objects and when Master Hand is finished counting, the objects literally become objects and whatnot from different Nintendo games, like a pencil holder becoming a warp pipe. And you could have a scene where you witness the stage being made together in the real world and you see the results/changes happening in the imagination world.
Heck, you could have Master Hand be the Order of the world, the Avatar of the main kid in control of the imagination and Crazy Hand, the Chaotic one, could be the Avatar of an outside interference, or another person who has different ideas on how to handle the stuff. Maybe a more older kid, an older sibling, etc. Like the idea of one child having this grand play in mind and suddenly, another person wants to play and does stuff that messes and interferes with how the main kid wants to handle their play. With the final scenes being the Nintendo characters working together to do this thing that has the two see what working together can do or showing how they can work their differences and bring out the potential of what both want to do.
---
My mind certainly went places near the end while looking at the possibility of how a Smash Bros. movie could work. Probably a bit too much when a Smash Bros. movie is far from happening right now. Shouldn't think that much until it's actually announced. Only then can we possibly see whether it has a chance of working well or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom