• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How the heck do you even make Doc or Pichu unique then?

Hell, if Dixie Kong were added, how would you make her unique from Diddy?
33wfd3beaaaa.jpg

Holy **** we're actually back to this **** again!?

Again?!

Look Diddy and Dixie have as much differences in basic gameplay in DKC as DK and Diddy. Diddy wasn't ever a DK clone either.

Just play the games, you'll know why.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's enough material in the DKC games to make Dixie as close or as far from Diddy as one would want, especially if the moveset conception of the former is closer to the 64/Melee/Brawl model of being inspired by elements from the source games rather than having the character play as if they were lifted directly from them.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I feel people often forget that captain falcon, one of the most loved characters and movesets, has a completely made up moveset of stuff he doesn't do in his games.

If they truly want to Sakurai and Co. can give anyone a unique moveset. The No Moveset potential arguement has been low key dead since the first game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
There's enough material in the DKC games to make Dixie as close or as far from Diddy as one would want, especially if the moveset conception of the former is closer to the 64/Melee/Brawl model of being inspired by elements from the source games rather than having the character play as if they were lifted directly from them.
I feel people often forget that captain falcon, one of the most loved characters and movesets, has a completely made up moveset of stuff he doesn't do in his games.

If they truly want to Sakurai and Co. can give anyone a unique moveset. The No Moveset potential arguement has been low key dead since the first game.
Yeah, but it feels like they largely spent their "make things up" fuel on 64 and Melee while leaving little for later games, to the point that they try to recreate source game mechanics where possible.

I actively want Dixie in as an Isabelle-level divergent clone at most since it feels like any attempt to make her as "unique" as possible might lead to something incohesive and outlandish for the sake of being faithful to canon. Kinda like giving Donkey Kong a barrel toss but on a whole moveset scale.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah, but it feels like they largely spent their "make things up" fuel on 64 and Melee while leaving little for later games, to the point that they try to recreate source game mechanics where possible.

I actively want Dixie in as an Isabelle-level divergent clone at most since it feels like any attempt to make her as "unique" as possible might lead to something incohesive and outlandish for the sake of being faithful to canon. Kinda like giving Donkey Kong a barrel toss but on a whole moveset scale.
Oh she definitely has material to work with, just station plenty of characters with little material can still have crazy movesets

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
make her a duo with Kiddy instead.
Or a three-way swappable characters like Pokémon Trainer

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For fun, I figured I'd go to the next step and list the CYL winners who didn't get added as Emblems, since some may be interested in that list as well. I'll spoiler tag it because the list inherently gives away some of the unrevealed DLC characters, but the running theme is that it's generally filled with "lords from games with multiple lords" and "Three Houses side characters" lol. Though it does go to show how well liked the latter group is.

Alm, Seliph, Eliwood, Adult Tiki (though Young Tiki is an Emblem), Lysithea, Marianne, Gatekeeper
Man I really hope that
Robin
gets in as an emblem.

If they aren't included then they would be...
The only FE character in Smash who isn't an Emblem.

It's not like they aren't popular either. They've consistently been at the top of the polls for a long time.

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
NGL, I wish we had a character in the newer Smash games that has so little fighting material that they're forced to make specials up like Falcon again.
As the resident Rayman enjoyer I gotta say despite there being plenty of material to work with I've always wanted them to do some crazy things with the fact he's limbless. I'm talking like rolling your torso like bowling ball or just all kinds of wacko stuff.

Good example of this is Smash Flash 2 and Crusade both gave him a neutral air where his hands and feet just spin around his body and while it ain't ground breaking on how it functions I just love it visually <3
20230117_183628.jpg

20230117_183640.jpg

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well, in Pichu's case, it's probably because he has a different skeleton from Pikachu or something...

Anyway, sorry to change the topic (especially since this relates to Fire Emblem), but apparently Engage's DLC has leaked and I think it gives a good idea towards some "popular" characters from the series, for those who prefer those picks:

Specifically, we're getting Emblems of Hector, Veronica, Soren, Chrom, and Camilla.
My face when Camilla is a returning character

NGL, I wish we had a character in the newer Smash games that has so little fighting material that they're forced to make specials up like Falcon again.
Hypothetically that would be what a Detective club rep would be, considering the whole visual novel thing.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hypothetically that would be what a Detective club rep would be, considering the whole visual novel thing.
Or if she were introduced in Melee there’s a chance she could be a Zelda clone

Btw, on the topic of unorthodox fighters:

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Zenji Nishikawa, a well-known Japanese science and technology writer, has revealed that he’s seeing some movement with regards to new hardware from Nintendo, possibly the Nintendo Switch successor, and that a “super VIP” individual belonging to a well-known semiconductor manufacturer, possibly Nvidia, will soon be visiting Japan.

Hmm....Doug visiting Japan and an important VIP from Nvidia also visiting Japan around the same time? Must be just a coincidence. :4diddy:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Or if she were introduced in Melee there’s a chance she could be a Zelda clone

Btw, on the topic of unorthodox fighters:
That sounds like a fun idea and would be really interesting to see. I’m always in favor of unorthodox fighters. Are there any non humanoid characters anyone would like to see make it in Smash? The easy answer for me is various Pokémon like Gengar but beyond that I’d still love to see a Goomba and I think a Hydralisk from StarCraft could be a ton of fun (even if my top pick is Kerrigan). Other less likely options I’d love to see are summons like Ifrit or Bahamut from FF, Bugzzy from Kirby, or any number of various monsters from other games.

If there aren’t any characters with no humanoid body types you’d like to see, how about humanoid characters that aren’t human. There’s a ton here I’d love to see personally. Some examples are the Battletoads, Illidan, Fulgore, Illidan, Raziel, Death (Darksiders), EMMI, Raven Beak, and others.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That sounds like a fun idea and would be really interesting to see. I’m always in favor of unorthodox fighters. Are there any non humanoid characters anyone would like to see make it in Smash? The easy answer for me is various Pokémon like Gengar but beyond that I’d still love to see a Goomba and I think a Hydralisk from StarCraft could be a ton of fun (even if my top pick is Kerrigan). Other less likely options I’d love to see are summons like Ifrit or Bahamut from FF, Bugzzy from Kirby, or any number of various monsters from other games.

If there aren’t any characters with no humanoid body types you’d like to see, how about humanoid characters that aren’t human. There’s a ton here I’d love to see personally. Some examples are the Battletoads, Illidan, Fulgore, Illidan, Raziel, Death (Darksiders), EMMI, Raven Beak, and others.
I think Tetris block would be cool!

osby

Smash Obsessed

Here's how Full Metal Daemon Muramasa can win

1674053207027.png
1674053215179.png

A cool robotic suit of armor or a giant mecha spider, pick your poison.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

I hoping for character like that. Piranha Plant was literal fresh air from the protag we have been getting.

I would be interested in one of the monsters from Monster Hunter instead of the Hunter like Magnamalo

Or even Jack Frost from SMT

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I hoping for character like that. Piranha Plant was literal fresh air from the protag we have been getting.

I would be interested in one of the monsters from Monster Hunter instead of the Hunter like Magnamalo

Or even Jack Frost from SMT
For Monster Hunter, I think we could possibly get the best of both worlds with the protagonist from Stories 2 as a rider class on the back of a baby Rathalos. It’s probably not as likely as the default Hunter but I think it could be fun and unique. Another option for a rider class could have been Nia and Dromarch from Xenoblade 2 but we ended up with Pyra/Mythra instead.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Are there any non humanoid characters anyone would like to see make it in Smash?
well i was in favour of mimikyu as the gen 7 rep. there's also plenty of other pokemon but for keeping it brief i will list the ones from my gen 9 team, skeldirge, dachsbun and tatsugiri. hang on what does baxcalibur count as? i'm sure grafaiai and garganacl don't. anyway if you're counting gengar i'm counting toad and chibi. also bandana waddle dee. that dog from the new FE, a bulborb from pikmin, any non humanoid zelda character. i'll get back to you when i think of more

Another option for a rider class could have been Nia and Dromarch from Xenoblade 2 but we ended up with Pyra/Mythra instead.
i think sak made it pretty clear he was determined to have those two no matter what

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I was thinking for whenever Kunio and Riki grabs a hammer, their swinging animation should reference their sprite animation from River City Ransom when they use the Mach Strike.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
well i was in favour of mimikyu as the gen 7 rep. there's also plenty of other pokemon but for keeping it brief i will list the ones from my gen 9 team, skeldirge, dachsbun and tatsugiri. hang on what does baxcalibur count as? i'm sure grafaiai and garganacl don't. anyway if you're counting gengar i'm counting toad and chibi. also bandana waddle dee. that dog from the new FE, a bulborb from pikmin, any non humanoid zelda character. i'll get back to you when i think of more

i think sak made it pretty clear he was determined to have those two no matter what
Yeah, sadly I don’t think secondary characters like Nia have a huge chance to make it in as things currently stand, as much as I’d love to see more. I don’t think they’re impossible but they’d really have to have something going for them to be chosen before a game’s main protagonist. I suppose you could make the argument that neither Pyra or Mythra were the main protagonists of Xenoblade 2 so that’s something at least. Same for Minmin and ARMS.

Slight Xenoblade 3 spoilers:
Nia does play a big role in Xenoblade 3 however so that might help her chances of eventually making it in a bit.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some have thought of that human figure from Labo and called it Laboman. I think he could come as a newcomer in a future Super Smash Bros game, have moves based off of that, and have his Final Smash be Robot Kit.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, sadly I don’t think secondary characters like Nia have a huge chance to make it in as things currently stand, as much as I’d love to see more. I don’t think they’re impossible but they’d really have to have something going for them to be chosen before a game’s main protagonist. I suppose you could make the argument that neither Pyra or Mythra were the main protagonists of Xenoblade 2 so that’s something at least. Same for Minmin and ARMS.

Slight Xenoblade 3 spoilers:
Nia does play a big role in Xenoblade 3 however so that might help her chances of eventually making it in a bit.
maybe but I think we’re better off hoping for a xenoblade warriors

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s another question: What criteria are most important to you for your most wanted characters? There’s a lot of things to consider for what a character can bring to Smash. Here are just a few things I consider off the top of my head:
  1. Character design
  2. Moveset potential
  3. Personality
  4. Music
  5. Legacy (either to Nintendo or gaming as a whole)
  6. Stage
  7. Other (items, assists, Miis, etc…)

These are more or less listed from most to least important to me for my own most wanted characters. I think that all of these are important in their own way and I could easily imagine others ordering these completely differently, not caring much about some at all, or even adding new fields. I’m curious as to what everyone here thinks.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Here’s another question: What criteria are most important to you for your most wanted characters? There’s a lot of things to consider for what a character can bring to Smash. Here are just a few things I consider off the top of my head:
  1. Character design
  2. Moveset potential
  3. Personality
  4. Music
  5. Legacy (either to Nintendo or gaming as a whole
  6. Stage

These are more or less listed from most to least important to me for my own most wanted characters. I think that all of these are important in their own way and I could easily imagine others ordering these completely differently, not caring much about some at all, or even adding new fields. I’m curious as to what everyone here thinks.
  1. Character design (so long as they blend well enough with Nintendo characters)
  2. Moveset potential
  3. Music
  4. Legacy (primarily Nintendo)
  5. Stage
  6. Other (spirits and trophies)
As a bonus, I would also look at whatever their series or company has in relation to Nintendo themselves. That could either be a crossover with Nintendo, their game(s) published by Nintendo, or their games having some kind of influence on Nintendo.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
  1. Character design
  2. Moveset potential
  3. Personality
  4. Music
  6. Stage
What?
In that case E.T. the Extra-terrestrial is a future candidate for Smash?, because the Atari 2600 game (with the port of PAC-MAN for the same console) caused the Video Game Crash of 1983.
While it has an historical impact on video games, that can be said for the game itself.

What about non-gaming franchises that only ONE single entry that is fondly remembered by everyone while it's other games are often forgotten by the public eye (namely arcade Popeye, DuckTales for the NES, GoldenEye 007 for the N64). The Motion-Sensor Bomb was in the first Smash, but it design was re-arranged to distance from it's origins.

The problem with "famous IPs that had rich histories with video games" is kinda ambigous, Sakurai may like licensed games but he established a rule because "Licensing Expensive". Many people (including myself) want their 4th Party characters in Smash, and yet still accept that they are impossible.

Optimus Prime from the Famicom Transformers game for Smash

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
  1. Character design
  2. Moveset potential
  3. Personality
  4. Music
  6. Stage

I like them

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
What?
In that case E.T. the Extra-terrestrial is a future candidate for Smash?, because the Atari 2600 game (with the port of PAC-MAN for the same console) caused the Video Game Crash of 1983.
While it has an historical impact on video games, that can be said for the game itself.

What about non-gaming franchises that only ONE single entry that is fondly remembered by everyone while it's other games are often forgotten by the public eye (namely arcade Popeye, DuckTales for the NES, GoldenEye 007 for the N64). The Motion-Sensor Bomb was in the first Smash, but it design was re-arranged to distance from it's origins.

The problem with "famous IPs that had rich histories with video games" is kinda ambigous, Sakurai may like licensed games but he established a rule because "Licensing Expensive". Many people (including myself) want their 4th Party characters in Smash, and yet still accept that they are impossible.

Tell me you're joking.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
For me it's music and Legacy.

I dont mind if i dont inherently like a character in Smash as long as the character has some important connection to gaming as a whole, i'm not a Xenoblade guy for example but the Xeno series has a massive fanbase going back to the PS1 days that has only grown bigger since Nintendo got the series with Xenoblade. So i'm fine with it having 3 characters.

And music to me is very much an important factor, i love a good bop of a game song. That's why it annoys me how Street fighter has two sets of the same songs when they should have focused ongathering songs from some of the NonSF2 cast, like Sakura, Dan, Karin and Juri.

Also here is a compilation of songs from a series i want in smash someday:

And just one other song that i wanted to share since i'm talking about gaming music

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What?

While I have no issues at all with non gaming characters making it into Smash, that’s not really what I was referring to. I was mostly talking about big third party franchises like StarCraft, League of Legends, Mortal Kombat, DOOM, and others like that that were very influential to gaming but not necessarily to Nintendo specifically. I would prefer a bit more weight be given to those with strong histories with Nintendo but not to exclude any who may not.

Top Bottom