• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
In the sense that his playstyle and/or moveset is altered to give him a different emphasis. Something like a fighter inspired by various Toon Link titles other than Wind Waker (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Triforce Heroes) and thus contrasting with the TL we've seen in Brawl through Ultimate. Utilizing elements from the character's games to create a new kind of fighter feels like the most likely motivation to keep around a Link that otherwise doesn't have much going on given that subseries gradually disappearance from Zelda releases.
I think all Toon Link really needs to feel different enough is 3/4 different specials.

Deku Leaf, Grappling Hook, and Skull Hammer. Keep the bow.

Young Link can stay the more "classic" Link, though I would prefer an OoT/TP Link as another option.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So.... honest question.

Is Toon Link in trouble? Toon Link is a popular veteran and even though he's a clone, the developers and the fanbase seem to agree a child Link is important. One of the strongest things going for Toon Link was that his art style was always in use. But the last time Toon Link got a game was Triforce Heroes. That was almost ten years ago. Is the Toon style retired?
Ya he's definitely not as safe as some fans might assume. Was one of the last few in Brawl to begin with and I doubt he would've made 4 if he didn't make Brawl. But even as someone who would prefer basically a total do-over of the Zelda roster minus like Link and Zelda, I can also easily see TL coming back, since even the devs are probably used to having an "easy" Link variant...then again, to be real TL is different enough from vanilla Link that he's not really such an "easy" add anymore. So we'll see.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think all Toon Link really needs to feel different enough is 3/4 different specials.

Deku Leaf, Grappling Hook, and Skull Hammer. Keep the bow.

Young Link can stay the more "classic" Link, though I would prefer an OoT/TP Link as another option.
just 3/4 specials...?

So, literally all of the specials.

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Why declone Toon Link? Isn't the point that he's supposed to be basically a smaller and faster Link? The point of Toon Link was to replace Young Link because at the time Toon Link was the new, more relevant "Young Link". They aren't gonna spend time de-cloning when the point of the character wasn't to be unique in the first place, it's just supposed to be an different alternate way to play Link.

Whether Toon Link stays or not is up to you, but personally I think Toon Link is staying. He's actually become iconic to the Zelda franchise, and is actually commonly advertised with it. He's appeared way more in the series than Young Link (who is my personal favorite but I accept if he cant come back), and I think its obvious that the devs like the idea of a clone Link, as that has been a staple since Melee. In fact, that may even help Dr. Mario's case, being a clone alternative way to play Mario.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why declone Toon Link? Isn't the point that he's supposed to be basically a smaller and faster Link? The point of Toon Link was to replace Young Link because at the time Toon Link was the new, more relevant "Young Link". They aren't gonna spend time de-cloning when the point of the character wasn't to be unique in the first place, it's just supposed to be an different alternate way to play Link.

Whether Toon Link stays or not is up to you, but personally I think Toon Link is staying. He's actually become iconic to the Zelda franchise, and is actually commonly advertised with it. He's appeared way more in the series than Young Link (who is my personal favorite but I accept if he cant come back), and I think its obvious that the devs like the idea of a clone Link, as that has been a staple since Melee. In fact, that may even help Dr. Mario's case, being a clone alternative way to play Mario.
Smaller, faster Link is a gameplay style that is worth keeping. Link's such a popular character that lots of people will want to play him, even if he doesn't fit their playstyle. Toon Link is a good way to solve that problem.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
just 3/4 specials...?

So, literally all of the specials.
Wha-? 75% is in no way equal to 100%.

Besides, Isabelle feels different enough sharing 2/4 specials with Villager. Toon Link should just be 3/4 since there's enough to work with for that.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Because any character not an Echo should be decloned as much as possible.
That kind of ignores why there are clones in the first place, that's kind of a really old mindset I am shocked is still around. If they weren't clones, they wouldn't have been added at all. Ganondorf is an exception because he would've just been added in Brawl and he SHOULD be decloned because there's zero relation to Falcon, but everyone else no way lol. The difference with clones and echoes seems to be that clones are simply a different way to play that certain character. Young Link, Toon Link, Dr. Mario, Pichu, are different ways to play an already existing moveset. Their stats have a significant difference compared to echoes. De-cloning them ruins the point of their addition. Would I be against it? Not really. But there's a clear reason why they are added and without them being clones, they wouldn't be added at all.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes, I've made reference to game released after Ni no kuni 2 because those are included in "games released in the past 5 years", how does that makes me wrong? Also I've never mentionned how many games they have made, I only mentionned that all of them are crossmedia stuff that nobody hardly cared about.

And yes my post might seems harsh but it's hard to be optimistic with a company that is so out of touch. Just read the quote from chocolatejr9 link:

“With the recent globalization of the game business, we are looking for people to maximize the business scale as a content holder and actively develop Level-5’s IP not only in Japan but also on a global scale.”

Recent globalisation? It has been like that for years. Why did they even close the western studios 2 years ago then? Either way none of their crossmedia stuff sold well in Japan, none of them got particularly good review, why would things be different in the west?
you said "literally all they did in the past 5 years was ni no kuni 2" meaning you are claiming all that they did in the last 5 years was ni no kuni 2. you see the word "literally" is synonymous with factual, word for word, factual. so what you were saying is that there were no games which just isn't true

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
you said "literally all they did in the past 5 years was ni no kuni 2" meaning you are claiming all that they did in the last 5 years was ni no kuni 2. you see the word "literally" is synonymous with factual, word for word, factual. so what you were saying is that there were no games which just isn't true
I checked in the synonym database and no where did “literally” and “factual” show up. You read what we said waaaaay too literally and it 100% feels like “making a mound out of a molehill” type of argument. They just listed one game of note but then listed several other games that no one truly cares about. Yes, they made several games with No no Kuni II and maybe Yokai Watch 4 being of note but the rest was poorly received products. “Literally” in this sentence does not mean “factual” but, rather, “more or less” but in a more slightly exaggerated and exacerbated tone. Please stop being nitpicky about what people say.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I checked in the synonym database and no where did “literally” and “factual” show up. You read what we said waaaaay too literally and it 100% feels like “making a mound out of a molehill” type of argument. They just listed one game of note but then listed several other games that no one truly cares about. Yes, they made several games with No no Kuni II and maybe Yokai Watch 4 being of note but the rest was poorly received products. “Literally” in this sentence does not mean “factual” but, rather, “more or less” but in a more slightly exaggerated and exacerbated tone. Please stop being nitpicky about what people say.
so crash here uses a word in a different context and what I was supposed to just magically know what they meant?

also I looked up the word literally and the term factual did come up

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
so crash here uses a word in a different context and what I was supposed to just magically know what they meant?

also I looked up the word literally and the term factual did come up
But not in this context.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So.... honest question.

Is Toon Link in trouble? Toon Link is a popular veteran and even though he's a clone, the developers and the fanbase seem to agree a child Link is important. One of the strongest things going for Toon Link was that his art style was always in use. But the last time Toon Link got a game was Triforce Heroes. That was almost ten years ago. Is the Toon style retired?
Honestly, I doubt he’s in much danger.

There is plenty of validity to having two Links. Link is often portrayed as either and adult or child, so having a youthful link while we have the main Link be an adult is valid. Toon Link also offers something closer to the original Link moveset given how much Link has evolved. I would say having two links in the next game is a safe bet, and Toon Link is easily more likely than Young Link.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That kind of ignores why there are clones in the first place
There are clones in the first place because Echoes didn't exist yet.

If a character isn't an Echo, their moveset should be unique. Otherwise, they should be Echoes.

Dr. Mario and Pichu should be Echoes. Ganondorf, the Links, Falco and Wolf should be made unique.
Roy should be made Marth's Echo. Chrom should get a unique moveset, and Lucina should be made his Echo.

De-cloning them ruins the point of their addition.
Yes, and replaces it with something BETTER. A unique moveset is better than a different way to play an already existing moveset.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yes, and replaces it with something BETTER. A unique moveset is better than a different way to play an already existing moveset.
How the heck do you even make Doc or Pichu unique then?

Hell, if Dixie Kong were added, how would you make her unique from Diddy?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How the heck do you even make Doc or Pichu unique then?

Hell, if Dixie Kong were added, how would you make her unique from Diddy?
There are several ways to make Dixie unique from Diddy. Two examples could be using the animal buddies or a tag mechanic with Kiddy. Diddy and Dixie don’t actually share any attacks besides the bubble gum gun being similar to the peanut gun. For example, Dixie uses her hair for most of her attacks, which Diddy doesn’t have. Conversely, Dixie doesn’t have a tail.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why do people want Dixie to use her hair for most of her normals when people complain about Sonic using his spinball attack for several moves?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
First, english is not my first langage so I might have misused "literally". That being said, even assuming that I misused the word, you cut half of the sentence. I said that they did in the past 5 years "Ni no kuni 2, a bunch of crossmedia games that nobody cared about and delaying Inazuma eleven", which still stands true.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Why do people want Dixie to use her hair for most of her normals when people complain about Sonic using his spinball attack for several moves?
The main reason is that Dixie only really had two attacks in the original trilogy. First is a hair twirl that acts as a dash attack and lets her float in the air. Second is she picked up enemies and objects with her hair. In Tropical Freeze, she also uses her hair to gain extra height. The only attack that she’s ever used on her own that didn’t use her hair was the bubble gum gun. Since her moveset on her own is a bit limited, I would personally like to see either the animal buddies incorporated as specials or a tag mechanic with Kiddy rather than make up a ton of moves for her she’s never done like they did with DK and Diddy.

Sonic, by contrast, had more to work with with multiple spinoff games and the 3D games that expanded his moveset.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
First, english is not my first langage so I might have misused "literally". That being said, even assuming that I misused the word, you cut half of the sentence. I said that they did in the past 5 years "Ni no kuni 2, a bunch of crossmedia games that nobody cared about and delaying Inazuma eleven", which still stands true.
ok I was misunderstood and I’m sorry about that

however the colossal pedant compels me to say that nobody cares about the other games isn’t quite true. The ni no kuni mobile game for example earned about 101.3 mil in USD. It’s probably why they’re able to release games globally again

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My stance on clones and echoes is that they’re a great way to get extra characters they may not have had the time to develop fully due to time constraints or if they didn’t have a ton of unique potential. As newer games come out, I think they should be open to the idea of fully fleshing out the character to make them unique if they have something to offer. My biggest worry is that once a character gets in as a clone, they basically stay that way. Ganondorf and Dark Samus, for example, have a ton of cannon material to offer to make them stand out so I’d like to see them separated from their source. Basically, as long as being a clone isn’t a death sentence for ever seeing them as a unique character, I fully support them.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You don't. You relabel them Echoes.
Honestly, I always thought Doc should have just been a costume from the beginning. He’s literally just Mario in a doctor’s outfit.

Smash is kind of a mess when it comes to variant characters. We have alt outfits (Alph), Clones (Dr. Mario), Semi-clones (Ganondorf), and Echoes (Lucina) with no real consistent rules defining which is which. Ken, for example, is an echo but is more unique than some clones. I do wish they’d just pick something and stick with it or just drop the labels altogether.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would be upset if Toon Link got cut, he's the only Zelda character in smash i actually care about.

I also in general miss the Toon games since those were my favorite Zelda's.
Toon Link’s my least favorite Zelda character but reasons like this is why I think he should stay. Even though I don’t personally care for him, he’s got a lot of fans and he doesn’t require of resources to keep so why cut him?

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
he’s got a lot of fans and he doesn’t require of resources to keep so why cut him?
But you could say "he's got a lot of fans" for a lot of other potential clone characters, too, who probably don't take any more or less resources on average? Why should the veteran status mean anything? It's not like there is space for unlimited clones, and we've seen clones throughout the years get cut even after being planned and having some work done on them, so the priorities still matter a lot for them.

--

But, to reiterate what I've expressed before, I'd like a shift away from widespread cloning anyway. It's simply not necessary in the way it was deemed necessary when they were developing Melee (and even for Melee I question plenty of those decisions).

As for getting variations of an existing moveset, I understand some of that appeal, but, well, they already tried custom moves, which is sort of the pinnacle of having that. And it wasn't that popular from what I remember, at least not the rousing success that would have made it an essential component to bring back for Ult.
In the end, and regardless of whether you feel it is fair to compare it to custom moves, I don't feel "variations of an existing moveset" is a concept worth putting a lot of priority on, personally.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But you could say "he's got a lot of fans" for a lot of other potential clone characters, too, who probably don't take any more or less resources on average? Why should the veteran status mean anything? It's not like there is space for unlimited clones, and we've seen clones throughout the years get cut even after being planned and having some work done on them, so the priorities still matter a lot for them.

--

But, to reiterate what I've expressed before, I'd like a shift away from widespread cloning anyway. It's simply not necessary in the way it was deemed necessary when they were developing Melee (and even for Melee I question plenty of those decisions).

As for getting variations of an existing moveset, I understand some of that appeal, but, well, they already tried custom moves, which is sort of the pinnacle of having that. And it wasn't that popular from what I remember, at least not the rousing success that would have made it an essential component to bring back for Ult.
In the end, and regardless of whether you feel it is fair to compare it to custom moves, I don't feel "variations of an existing moveset" is a concept worth putting a lot of priority on, personally.
That’s a fair point, which is why I’m against cuts in general. At the same time, I realize that they are often a necessity due to lack of development time but I don’t really like the thought of people losing their favorite character, even if I don’t personally care for them. If I was making the game strictly for my own enjoyment, I’d be a lot more on board with a ton of cuts to make room for personal favorites. I think if they are going to have to cut a bunch of characters, I’d like to see the series take a new direction and be reworked from the ground up. Otherwise, I would prefer they just keep building on Ultimate. I just really don’t want to end up with “Ultimate but worse”.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don’t really like the thought of people losing their favorite character, even if I don’t personally care for them
Ya losing a favorite character stinks, but what also stinks is not ever getting them in the first place. Personally I'd like them to go for a balance of vets and newcomers. I get the sentiment of wanting to watch out for the fans; I just personally don't equate that with a "no cuts, no buts" philosophy.

I just really don’t want to end up with “Ultimate but worse”.
Tbh I wouldn't really be afraid of that one. Maybe they will prove me to be giving them way too much credit, but I think they're far too smart to try to sell "Ultimate Lite" years after the original Ultimate.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I always wondered that myself. How are those characters NOT labeled as echoes has always been a mystery to me.
Well, in Pichu's case, it's probably because he has a different skeleton from Pikachu or something...

Anyway, sorry to change the topic (especially since this relates to Fire Emblem), but apparently Engage's DLC has leaked and I think it gives a good idea towards some "popular" characters from the series, for those who prefer those picks:

Specifically, we're getting Emblems of Hector, Veronica, Soren, Chrom, and Camilla.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Anyway, sorry to change the topic (especially since this relates to Fire Emblem), but apparently Engage's DLC has leaked and I think it gives a good idea towards some "popular" characters from the series, for those who prefer those picks:
Actually we probably should talk about Engage's release as it comes upon us.

I wonder if someone is willing to look into how tightly the picks for the Emblems and Bond Rings and such correlate with, like, CYL results and/or other popularity measures within the FE fandom.

Also, while the DLC Emblems are definitely indicators of strong popularity, in terms of their chances of being legacy reps in Smash Bros., remember that they are also competing with the highly popular Emblems in base like Lyn, Celica, etc.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I just really don’t want to end up with “Ultimate but worse”.
The "Ultimate but worse" in my opinion sounds like the recipe for an insult to video game history (the complete opposite)
Just imagine a 4-way match of Magikarp, Big the Cat, Garbodor and (insert a non-video game character here), while the stage is Custer's Revenge and "music" from Crazy Bus (the Sega Genesis "game", not the one from Arthur) plays in the background.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Excuse taken for some random thoughts on Garbodor.

It's one of those mons where the concept and design are just so silly that they somehow work for me. Plus it's cool that it's poison type since trash poisons the environment; and regardless of your opinion on them, giving Garbodor a Gigantamax form was kinda fitting for the ecological undertones in Sw/Sh (who would've thought that giving Garbodor an alt form or gimmick upgrade would've been that fitting for anything?).
And not that I'd actually want it in Smash, but the thought of it is kinda funny in its own way...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wonder if someone is willing to look into how tightly the picks for the Emblems and Bond Rings and such correlate with, like, CYL results and/or other popularity measures within the FE fandom.
Sure thing.

Of the twelve base game Emblems, Marth, Celica, Roy, Lyn, Eirika (and Ephraim), Ike, Micaiah, and Lucina have all won Choose Your Legends at some point. Of note, while Male Byleth (the version with an Emblem) has not won CYL, Female Byleth has.

This leaves Sigurd, Leif, and Female Corrin as the remaining three base game Emblems that haven't yet won.

For the revealed DLC Emblems, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude have all won, and while Young Tiki (who the Emblem is based on) has not, Adult Tiki has.

For the unrevealed DLC Emblems...
Hector, Chrom, Veronica, and Camilla have won, but Soren has not.

It should also be noted, though, that this year's CYL hasn't had its winners announced yet, but all of the ones above who haven't won yet are in the top twenty of their respective gender based on the midterm results, with strong fan campaigns going for Male Byleth, Female Corrin, and Soren in particular.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Excuse taken for some random thoughts on Garbodor.

It's one of those mons where the concept and design are just so silly that they somehow work for me. Plus it's cool that it's poison type since trash poisons the environment; and regardless of your opinion on them, giving Garbodor a Gigantamax form was kinda fitting for the ecological undertones in Sw/Sh (who would've thought that giving Garbodor an alt form or gimmick upgrade would've been that fitting for anything?).
And not that I'd actually want it in Smash, but the thought of it is kinda funny in its own way...
🤯
I met people who apoloziged about well-hated characters (Kiddy Kong, Tingle, Bubsy, Corrin. Heck! I' an Oogtar apologist). But apologizing to Garbodor would be the craziest hot take i read.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
🤯
I met people who apoloziged about well-hated characters (Kiddy Kong, Tingle, Bubsy, Corrin. Heck! I' an Oogtar apologist). But apologizing to Garbodor would be the craziest hot take i read.
I actually kind of like Garbodor. It’s not one of my favorites or anything but I’ve always thought it was pretty cool. Magikarp, on the other hand, was once my favorite Pokémon. We really should have gotten it over Goldeen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So.... honest question.

Zelda would profit massively from a total overhaul in the roster. I wouldn't say Toon Link is absolutely 100% safe. But safer than both Sheik and Young Link.

Link and Zelda will stay. Ganondorf is highly likely too and if not, definitely a Ganon in sone shape or form.

But Toon Link, Young Link and Sheik ? I don't think they should stay actually.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sure thing.

Of the twelve base game Emblems, Marth, Celica, Roy, Lyn, Eirika (and Ephraim), Ike, Micaiah, and Lucina have all won Choose Your Legends at some point. Of note, while Male Byleth (the version with an Emblem) has not won CYL, Female Byleth has.

This leaves Sigurd, Leif, and Female Corrin as the remaining three base game Emblems that haven't yet won.

For the revealed DLC Emblems, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude have all won, and while Young Tiki (who the Emblem is based on) has not, Adult Tiki has.

For the unrevealed DLC Emblems...
Hector, Chrom, Veronica, and Camilla have won, but Soren has not.

It should also be noted, though, that this year's CYL hasn't had its winners announced yet, but all of the ones above who haven't won yet are in the top twenty of their respective gender based on the midterm results, with strong fan campaigns going for Male Byleth, Female Corrin, and Soren in particular.
For fun, I figured I'd go to the next step and list the CYL winners who didn't get added as Emblems, since some may be interested in that list as well. I'll spoiler tag it because the list inherently gives away some of the unrevealed DLC characters, but the running theme is that it's generally filled with "lords from games with multiple lords" and "Three Houses side characters" lol. Though it does go to show how well liked the latter group is.

Alm, Seliph, Eliwood, Adult Tiki (though Young Tiki is an Emblem), Lysithea, Marianne, Gatekeeper

Top Bottom