• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Brawl absolutely went for a more realistic art direction compared to other Smash games, as is evident by things like Mario's overalls having visible denim. It was likely done in an attempt to mimick the art direction of Twilight Princess, which was the style of the time.
well like I said before I just can’t think of any character who looks the way Mario does as realistic

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
well like I said before I just can’t think of any character who looks the way Mario does as realistic
You're missing the point here.

Mario himself isn't realistic. But they gave everyone, including Mario a more realistic style in Brawl. It's not a binary thing. It's literally shades of gray, lmao.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Mario himself isn't realistic. But they gave everyone, including Mario a more realistic style in Brawl. It's not a binary thing. It's literally shades of gray, lmao.
Another way to look at it is just thinking of it as texture styles. Mario’s model definitely isn’t realistic but the textures they gave him and everyone else in Brawl were. Textures alone can definitely go a long way in defining a look of any game.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Something to keep in mind, character design and art direction are different things.

Speaking of which, Smash in general actually still has a more realistic look than Mario games. Characters like Peach have more anatomically accurate proportions (while still being cartoony) and Ultimate still gives everyone more detailed textures without desaturating them.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Something to keep in mind, character design and art direction are different things.

Speaking of which, Smash in general actually still has a more realistic look than Mario games. Characters like Peach have more anatomically accurate proportions (while still being cartoony) and Ultimate still gives everyone more detailed textures without desaturating them.
Mario Odyssey and IIRC more recent Mario spinoffs are edging towards the latter, to be fair.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

im sorry but why is this bothering you so much?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can understand their appeal, but they are unideal uses of the medium.

They don't have to be open world, but linear cinematic games are inevitably handholdy.
I do love exploration in games but some linear games can be a ton of fun too. Final Fantasy X is still one of my favorite games ever and the whole game was pretty much a straight path until you reach the Calm Lands (then it returns to being a straight path).

osby

Smash Obsessed

They don't have to be open world, but linear cinematic games are inevitably handholdy.
True, but a game holding your hand isn't an inherently bad thing.

Some games try to appeal to a wide audience as possible so that kind of design suits well for being casual friendly. Alternatively, presentation and story may be the whole point, which again, doesn't need to provide player expression because that's not the point.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Honestly Smash Bros Brawl and twilight Princess seem to be pandering towards the trends of the time!
Im Glad Nintendo Found a more fitting Style(s) for both these franchises!

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
"Linear cinematic" isn't inherently bad. Just very easy to execute poorly due to the nature of the medium. Think a game like XBC1 which could be characterized as essentially linear and heavily cinematic but still houses consistently great gameplay and memorable story elements (I have seen some criticism for excessive tutorial windows in XBC but that's besides the point).

"Open world" is just a buzz term right now that lets "linear cinematic" sound derisive but I think the best of the latter group easily trump the worst of the former group. There's not one ideal way to use the medium or else all games would be pretty much the same; the execution just varies widely with "linear cinematic" games.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
"Linear cinematic" isn't inherently bad. Just very easy to execute poorly due to the nature of the medium. Think a game like XBC1 which could be characterized as essentially linear and heavily cinematic but still houses consistently great gameplay and memorable story elements (I have seen some criticism for excessive tutorial windows in XBC but that's besides the point).

"Open world" is just a buzz term right now that lets "linear cinematic" sound derisive but I think the best of the latter group easily trump the worst of the former group. There's not one ideal way to use the medium or else all games would be pretty much the same; the execution just varies widely with "linear cinematic" games.
It seems like nowadays everything has to be open world!
Heck people complainned about KIRBY? Not being Open world Kirby Straight up wouldnt really work with a fully open world maybe some Open Zones but not open world! IMO

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

It's interesting how different things appeal to different people. I personally enjoy such games and actively seek them out. RE4 comes to mind as an example of the best possible way to achieve this design choice.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

Some games try to appeal to a wide audience as possible so that kind of design suits well for being casual friendly. Alternatively, presentation and story may be the whole point, which again, doesn't need to provide player expression because that's not the point.
I think most "game design gurus" would tell you to lean towards trusting the player's intelligence and curiosity for exploration. Even casual friendly games don't necessarily require hand-holding and it is generally up to the designer's creativity to introduce the game in a way that is as immersive as it is clear and instructive.

That being said, companies are investing lots of $$$$ into these games and they don't want to risk losing their casual audience within the first 5 minutes of gameplay. So in that light it is understandable that so many studios sacrifice some immersion within their game's first hour in order to ensure that their player actually gets to the main part of the game where most of the immersion should happen anyway. Then again, going too hard in this direction can also lose you an overeager player early on, but at least it is easy to see companies and designers perceiving it to be safer.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think most "game design gurus" would tell you to lean towards trusting the player's intelligence and curiosity for exploration. Even casual friendly games don't necessarily require hand-holding and it is generally up to the designer's creativity to introduce the game in a way that is as immersive as it is clear and instructive.
Dude, ever played High on Life? Their gurus are on another plane of existence lol.

Quillion

Smash Hero

The best kind of direction (or "handholding") is that which uses lighting and other environmental design to prod the player's attention. Even linear games like Bioshock know this.

Interrupting cutscenes like Alia in Mega Man X5 is bad handholding no matter how you slice it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The best kind of direction (or "handholding") is that which uses lighting and other environmental design to prod the player's attention. Even linear games like Bioshock know this.

Interrupting cutscenes like Alia in Mega Man X5 is bad handholding no matter how you slice it.
how about going over everything in detail on the accompanying website in the long road to release?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I am kinda tired of the "tutorial" at the beginning of every game.
I think it depends on how it’s implemented to me. I actually like getting a chance to know the character and what their life is like before getting thrust into a huge adventure. As long as it’s still telling an interesting story and the combat lessons are well integrated, I kind of enjoy some. Other games, like various Pokémon tutorials can drag on and get a bit boring. While Kingdom Hearts 2 and Twilight Princess’s intros may have dragged on a bit too much, I do appreciate what they were going for. I still enjoyed the intros to both games the first time around but it does make replaying them a bit tedious.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Brawl absolutely went for a more realistic art direction compared to other Smash games, as is evident by things like Mario's overalls having visible denim. It was likely done in an attempt to mimick the art direction of Twilight Princess, which was the style of the time.
Ngl, Brawl's aesthetic turned off from Smash at first.

Before i used to think that Super Smash Bros was Nintendo attempt of making themselves appeal "edgy" and gray for times back then like Playstation/Xbox which rub me the wrong way until i actual played the game

Quillion

Smash Hero
I am kinda tired of the "tutorial" at the beginning of every game.
I think it depends on how it’s implemented to me. I actually like getting a chance to know the character and what their life is like before getting thrust into a huge adventure. As long as it’s still telling an interesting story and the combat lessons are well integrated, I kind of enjoy some. Other games, like various Pokémon tutorials can drag on and get a bit boring. While Kingdom Hearts 2 and Twilight Princess’s intros may have dragged on a bit too much, I do appreciate what they were going for. I still enjoyed the intros to both games the first time around but it does make replaying them a bit tedious.
It's the "small town in the middle of nowhere" intros that are the most samey and boring for the most part.

The problem is that it's such a tried and true way to start a conventional story that it's hard to break out of the habit.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's the "small town in the middle of nowhere" intros that are the most samey and boring for the most part.

The problem is that it's such a tried and true way to start a conventional story that it's hard to break out of the habit.
It can be surprisingly difficult to be original sometimes. For example, My brother and I have been making characters and a story since we were kids and it definitely seemed original to me at the time but then I played Three Houses and the backstory for the mother in our story is very similar to Edelgarde’s. Our main story even starts out in a small town hidden in the forest, which is kind of cliche in its own way I suppose. We also had another character with a ton of unintentional similarities to Arthas from WarCraft.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It can be really tough to be original these days. My brother and I have been making characters and a story since we were kids and it definitely seemed original to me at the time but then I played Three Houses and the backstory for the mother in our story is very similar to Edelgarde’s. Our main story even starts out in a small town hidden in the forest, which is kind of cliche in its own way I suppose. We also had another character with a ton of unintentional similarities to Arthas from WarCraft.
True. Also, a lot of video games start in plains or forests because they look normal and mundane for the early game.

I still think it's a problem, but I acknowledge that it's one devs are hard-pressed to fix.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here’s another question: What criteria are most important to you for your most wanted characters?
Legacy of franchise. Iconicness of the character. The end.

I call that straight dark fantasy. That's nowhere near the Blizzard style Gengar84 Gengar84 is talking about.
You think...Warcraft...is over-the-top dark fantasy?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Legacy of franchise. Iconicness of the character. The end.

You think...Warcraft...is over-the-top dark fantasy?
Yeah, I have no idea what to call WarCraft, League of Legends, Darksiders, and Soul Reaver. They’re all a bit cartoony but with a darker tone and somewhat realistic. I want to say they’re all a bit comic book styled but I’m not sure if that’s right either lol.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It can be surprisingly difficult to be original sometimes. For example, My brother and I have been making characters and a story since we were kids and it definitely seemed original to me at the time but then I played Three Houses and the backstory for the mother in our story is very similar to Edelgarde’s. Our main story even starts out in a small town hidden in the forest, which is kind of cliche in its own way I suppose. We also had another character with a ton of unintentional similarities to Arthas from WarCraft.
ah but that alas is the curse of creativity. No matter how hard you try originality may be gone from the world

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So I made all the characters' clothes have realistic textures, which was the style at the time!

1674161407204.png

Same Energy:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Brawl's aesthetic was a really weird choice even back then, never understood it. I like it a lot but like wow, it is truly bizarre to me it ever happened.

Same Energy:
I love how Jigglypuff manages to stay cute meanwhile Kirby looks like some nightmare creature lol

Top Bottom