• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
that depends on which character you're thinking of. cause the only one in SS i can think of who's anything like tingle is certainly a separate character from the one in TP who the dev team said was based on tingle
For what I meant, separate characters is the correct answer~ (It's very difficult wording it on mobile)

Thank you.

You do Know Shao Kahn was Smart in the OG Timeline Right?
That Dude Poisend Onaga Until he could beat him, he also came up with the whole Reviving Sindel so i can take over Earthrealm Plan!
But yeah i cant really Blame anyone for not Knowing that because the old stories are difficult to unearth! I just happend to watch some MK Tubers heck i didnt even play the games!

Also Tingle in Rosy Rupeeland was Great that Game Was Really Fun To watch although you definitly need to know the sums of Money to have Fun!
Yes, but that's why I mentioned how bad he was in the second movie. He's smart, but still pretty much a manchild anyway, even in the original games. These are not mutually exclusive. These can easily be both of how he acts. He's very smart in the newer games, but still prone to have tantrums easily. That's part of what makes him so likable. He's an insane villain that while smart, sometimes refuses to act with tact. That and they evolved him over time while having him playable more often, making him actually more fun.

...What system was Rupeeland on again? I need to pick up that game. Just need to figure out what method to play it on. GBA doesn't have a region lock, which helps.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Holy ****! They added Smash-style item customization to MK8D! Now we can finally "No Items, Waluigi only, Baby Park" in MK!

Man, just having Blue Shells, Lightning Bolts and Bloopers turned off makes the game SO much more enjoyable.
You say Blue Shells, Lightning Bolts and Bloopers. I say, "No one's going to miss you, Coins." And really, Blue Shells are pretty tolerable, what with not stunning you for long, not taking your items and actually having a counter for them if you get the Horn. It's really the Lightning Bolt that I hate because of their item vaporizing. Take away that and they'll become much more tolerable.
Time tosee if they can implement the Mii Customization of Miitopia into other games.
Just add it to the main Mii Maker on the Switch, so that it can already be used for other games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i'm staring to come to the thinking that i'd be ok with any of the gen 9 pokemon being in smash. shame we'll probably be a few gens on by next time. still there's plenty of natural fighters and plenty of unique ones

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
you know i'm staring to come to the thinking that i'd be ok with any of the gen 9 pokemon being in smash. shame we'll probably be a few gens on by next time. still there's plenty of natural fighters and plenty of unique ones
By the time Smash 6 is revealed, we will be now at Gen 10 or 11. It's hard to say if they want to skip some generations, it happened to Hoenn, Unova, and now Galar (if the Spirit Event not mean something).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You say Blue Shells, Lightning Bolts and Bloopers. I say, "No one's going to miss you, Coins." And really, Blue Shells are pretty tolerable, what with not stunning you for long, not taking your items and actually having a counter for them if you get the Horn. It's really the Lightning Bolt that I hate because of their item vaporizing. Take away that and they'll become much more tolerable.
The Blue Shell is completely worthless. It screws over the person in first, while being of no value to the person that actually USES it. Hitting the guy in first place does absolutely nothing to help the guy in 10th place actually move up in the ranks.

The Lightning Bolt at least allows it's user to get somewhere. But it's out because it commits the greatest sin of all...****ing up the music! I'm trying to listen to Rainbow Road here, Bolt!

Bloober is gone simply because it's super annoying, and it's also unfair, since the CPU is basically unaffected by it.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The Blue Shell is completely worthless. It screws over the person in first, while being of no value to the person that actually USES it. Hitting the guy in first place does absolutely nothing to help the guy in 10th place actually move up in the ranks.
No, it can hit other players on the way to the first player. You're thinking of Double Dashes' Blue Shell which completely flew over the other players. But MK8's Blue Shell can hit other players on the way before it starts flying just as it reaches the first player and explodes.

But yeah, the Lightning Bolt affecting music can go too or at least let there be an option for it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I believe it was on the DS, which I don't think has a region lock either, right?
Yes to both
Oh, it was the 3DS then that had it, I'm guessing. However, I need the EU version then so I know what I'm doing. The only reason I had no issues playing the other languages of Quest 64 is I had played the English versions before(or with language options, I knew from experience).

Kind of impossible with the JP version, so, I'll have to wait for a good price, then. Unless the JP version has a legit English Language change option, then I'm good~

Now it makes me curious if the JP Sonic Battle has any notable differences besides less clean dialogue, heh.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No, it can hit other players on the way to the first player.
It CAN, but it rarely does. Because it doesn't target the players in front of you, it just travels along the track till it gets to the first place racer. You only get hit if you're unlucky enough to be directly in it's path.

So, again, does nothing to help the person that uses it to actually move up.

But yeah, the Lightning Bolt affecting music can go too or at least let there be an option for it.
I don't even like it when the last lap makes the music speed up!

Ordering seems mostly right, other than Pikmin.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Having just purchased an Xbox Series S and ultimate game pass I have a newfound appreciation for so many things I'd forgotten about or just never tried like Battletoads! Gengar84 Gengar84 have you played it? It's obviously more updated compared to the old game but was curious what you thought of the art style. They'd make a really interesting smash character imho.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
For what I meant, separate characters is the correct answer~ (It's very difficult wording it on mobile)

Thank you.

Yes, but that's why I mentioned how bad he was in the second movie. He's smart, but still pretty much a manchild anyway, even in the original games. These are not mutually exclusive. These can easily be both of how he acts. He's very smart in the newer games, but still prone to have tantrums easily. That's part of what makes him so likable. He's an insane villain that while smart, sometimes refuses to act with tact. That and they evolved him over time while having him playable more often, making him actually more fun.

...What system was Rupeeland on again? I need to pick up that game. Just need to figure out what method to play it on. GBA doesn't have a region lock, which helps.
DS There is a European Version of it! (Or atleast a german one)
Tis Pretty Good!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Having just purchased an Xbox Series S and ultimate game pass I have a newfound appreciation for so many things I'd forgotten about or just never tried like Battletoads! Gengar84 Gengar84 have you played it? It's obviously more updated compared to the old game but was curious what you thought of the art style. They'd make a really interesting smash character imho.
Yeah, I own the Battletoads reboot on the PC. I think I’m only about four or five stages in but I think it’s a fun game so far. The only reason I haven’t played more is because it’s kind of a pain to synch my PlayStation controller to my PC to play Steam games. I definitely prefer the art style from Battlemaniacs on the SNES or the Battletoads arcade game but I’m just glad we got a game at all. Hopefully the game did well enough to revive the series. I’ve read it’s at least a million seller. There’s definitely a few areas that could use improvements which could be addressed in a sequel but I do enjoy it.

I suspect a big reason the artstyle looks the way it does is that they tend to follow the trend of whatever the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is doing at the time. Reboot Battletoads gives me strong Rise of the TMNT vibes and we were getting ultra realistic Toad statues and Killer Instinct appearances during the time of the Michael Bay TMNT movies. I love the classic designs for each series so I likely win on both ends if TMNT goes with a style I love. The Turtles look great in the ongoing IDW comics so there’s hope there.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah, I own the Battletoads reboot on the PC. I think I’m only about four or five stages in but I think it’s a fun game so far. The only reason I haven’t played more is because it’s kind of a pain to synch my PlayStation controller to my PC to play Steam games. I definitely prefer the art style from Battlemaniacs on the SNES or the Battletoads arcade game but I’m just glad we got a game at all. Hopefully the game did well enough to revive the series. I’ve read it’s at least a million seller. There’s definitely a few areas that could use improvements which could be addressed in a sequel but I do enjoy it.

I suspect a big reason the artstyle looks the way it does is that they tend to follow the trend of whatever the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is doing at the time. Reboot Battletoads gives me strong Rise of the TMNT vibes and we were getting ultra realistic Toad statues and Killer Instinct appearances during the time of the Michael Bay TMNT movies. I love the classic designs for each series so I likely win on both ends if TMNT goes with a style I love. The Turtles look great in the ongoing IDW comics so there’s hope there.
Yah I really really dig Shredder's Revenge too. I'm fixin to try double dragon next lol. Gotta love those side scroller beat em ups!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I played the newest Battletoads on Steam; its decent though I do think it suffers in comparison to SOR4 and Shredder's Revenge in general moment to moment gameplay. As far as art direction, I think something like a glow up of Super Battletoads style might have worked a little better.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
By the time Smash 6 is revealed, we will be now at Gen 10 or 11. It's hard to say if they want to skip some generations, it happened to Hoenn, Unova, and now Galar (if the Spirit Event not mean something).
In a weird way they technically didn't skip Gen 8.

Gn 8 had more Sinnoh content than Galar after all, two games in a row taking place there and Spear Pillar is one of the stages in the game, so it works out.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Permission to make a joke about Excitebiker being a Mario rep?
I mean, I do think Excitebiker is being slept on a bit. The number of characters with a feasible moveset is much larger now than it used to be, and I don't think Excitebiker would have as much of an issue with that as some would claim. Plus some people seem to go for NES picks like Takamaru for the movesets, which ignores (1) the equally unique things Excitebiker could bring to the table and (2) the broad international success Excitebike brought to the NES. (2) in particular makes Excitebike stick out like a sore thumb among potential 1P NES reps left.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Man... I wish Sonic would have gotten a new Side-Special for Ultimate. His Side-Special he's got annoys the everlasting **** out of me still. Ugh. I still love how he feels to play I just despise that Side-Special for being uninspired and redundant.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I mean, I do think Excitebiker is being slept on a bit. The number of characters with a feasible moveset is much larger now than it used to be, and I don't think Excitebiker would have as much of an issue with that as some would claim. Plus some people seem to go for NES picks like Takamaru for the movesets, which ignores (1) the equally unique things Excitebiker could bring to the table and (2) the broad international success Excitebike brought to the NES. (2) in particular makes Excitebike stick out like a sore thumb among potential 1P NES reps left.
Well, at least someone here sees genuine potential in the Excitebiker.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Game builder garage did manage to sell 1 million
Do you think there is a chance Person Node can get in the next smash game?
Maybe it could some crazy gimmick revolves around using game nodes
I always like the idea of having more playable robots in smash

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Game builder garage did manage to sell 1 million
Do you think there is a chance Person Node can get in the next smash game?
Maybe it could some crazy gimmick revolves around using game nodes
I always like the idea of having more playable robots in smash
Would be a fun addition but I feel it’s not happening

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Maybe? Pokémon operates in a 3-4 year cycle. It also seems Nintendo’s next system could easily come out around 2025. I would not be shocked if Gen 10 did not come on the way until 2026, which does give Gen 9 a solid window if we get a new smash earlier in the next systems lifecycle. We tend to get Smash early on a new system, so a 2026 smash, almost eight years after Ultimate launched is not out of the question.

Even putting aside timing which could easily help Gen 9, we also have the fact the next smash is gonna obviously pull heavily from the Switch era. Scarlet and Violet did huge numbers and broke records its first weekend in Japan. I would not be shocked if it cracks over 22 million after its three months of being out. If the next smash is gonna reference and pull from the switch era, than Gen9 has a solid shot with its massive success and record breaking performance in sales.

I do think Excitebiker is one of the retro first party picks that has the best shot of making it into Smash and a better shot than Takamaru. My thing is after Ultimate, I wonder if retro first parties are truly a priority. In Ultimate instead of getting a Takamaru or Excitebiker, we got the Belmonts. Now, does that mean a first party retro pick is impossible? No, it could still easily happen. But I can just as easily see Nintendo fill that gap with a retro third party instead. Something like Arthur, Battletoads, Kunio, Bill Rizer, and especially Ryu Hayabusa could fill that niche in the roster. Honestly I’d personally want Excitebiker and Hayabusa in Smash 6, but I would say it’s a realistic possibility at this point our next NES era character is more in like with Simon and Erdrick than with Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
My thing is after Ultimate, I wonder if retro first parties are truly a priority. In Ultimate instead of getting a Takamaru or Excitebiker, we got the Belmonts. Now, does that mean a first party retro pick is impossible? No, it could still easily happen. But I can just as easily see Nintendo fill that gap with a retro third party instead. Something like Arthur, Battletoads, Kunio, Bill Rizer, and especially Ryu Hayabusa could fill that niche in the roster.
I think this argument is super inaccurate. Ult had a smaller-than-usual selection of newcomers, and the Belmonts were there to fill the single unique 3P slot we had in base Ult; I think that's basically all there is to it. The fact that Castlevania could double as an NES rep is likely only a coincidence (insomuch as it pertains to not getting the NES retro). We were simply much less likely to get a true retro rep in Ult based on the number of slots (fan fave retro picks like KRool notwithstanding).

And looking at Ult for this is seriously flawed because Ult is quite non-standard all the way around. Your argument falls flat when we look at Smash 4, where we got both 3P unique slots filled by 80s-associated reps (Pac-Man, Mega Man) and on top of that still got Duck Hunt. Seems to me that their choices for the 1-2 unique 3P slots are largely independent of pretty much everything else, even if they may overlap a bit with traditional Smash roster spots.

So sure, you could get a Hayabusa character in Smash 6 and I think that might be one of the more likely avenues for 3P base game reps. But such reps would likely be putting the squeeze on the other possible 3P reps more so than any 1P ones.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Isn't the meaning of "Retro" in the Smash context a game mostly known in the Arcade, NES and GB communities?

I Guess SNES, N64, GBA, and even the DS or Sega consoles are considered Retro like a normal nostalgic guy.
Yeah I have advocated on here several times for the expansion of the "retro" notion to include post-80s eras. Plenty of worthy candidates from the 90s and 2000s. Unfortunately, when talking about things like Excitebiker, the language gets conflated more than I'd like, but I try to mostly specify "NES retro."

the retro pick was Banjo
That was both a fan pick and a DLC pick, which is much different than the IC/DH type of character that gets in primarily due to representing an older era (and/or being an explicit surprise, I guess) rather than having that as a secondary factor at best.

--

The thing about Mach Rider is that it's simply a much less notable game than Excitebike. Also Excitebike has intense ties to Miyamoto and Mario, which gives it a huge leg up. Only thing Mach Rider has is a few extra tricks up its sleeve moveset-wise, many of which could probably be inputted fairly seamlessly into an Excitebiker moveset anyway if they wanted to pull a Duck Hunt and combine elements from a few games.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
There isn't a token retro pick anymore, and hasn't been for a while. Just because older characters get in doesn't mean they were the retro pick.

Though obviously it's not impossible that designated spot returns, it's not really a thing these days.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
There hasn't been any retro picks since Duck Hunt in Smash 4. Doesn't mean it won't happen again, though. Just don't expect them to be DLC characters.

Top Bottom