• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if you take off one shot i could still name a lot
Punch-out, Chibi-robo, Excite, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Mother, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Game & Watch, Wario Land, Pilotwings and there are probably more these are all successful franchises that are kept dead
as much as i love chibi, the limited release of some of the games make me question if it was all that successful

Was the Shigesato Itoi's statement of "Mother series is over" an excuse or a misunderstanding of the English translation?
as far as i can tell he meants it. the series is done

Ivander

Smash Legend
Unless they can make a whole bunch of non-offensive stereotypes for new characters for another Punch-Out, I don't see a new installment happening.
You can do stereotypes without making them outright stereotypical and offensive. And Punch Out! does a really good job at making them feel like actual characters, especially with most of them speaking their native language. Like despite Glass Joe being shown as rather cowardly and weak, the dude's got a frickin' mentality and will of steel just for the fact that he just keeps on going and boxing even after 99/100 losses.

Also, you don't need to stick to stereotypes nowadays. Tropes and archetypes can work just as well.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You can do stereotypes without making them outright stereotypical and offensive. And Punch Out! does a really good job at making them feel like actual characters, especially with most of them speaking their native language. Like despite Glass Joe being shown as rather cowardly and weak, the dude's got a frickin' mentality and will of steel just for the fact that he just keeps on going and boxing even after 99/100 losses.

Also, you don't need to stick to stereotypes nowadays. Tropes and archetypes can work just as well.
I know, that's why I said non-offensive stereotypes.

A new Punch-Out would probably need to cover other countries and cultures not represented though.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I learned that even positive attributes, such as “all X are good at Y” can still be offensive to many people because most people want to be seen as individuals and not just as part of their group. It can also put pressure on people of that group to live up to unfair standards due to that stereotype, despite its good intentions. That’s why it’s very difficult for there to be a “non-offensive stereotype”. I could go into a lot more detail but that’s a whole other topic so I’ll just leave it there.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
A new Punch-Out would probably need to cover other countries and cultures not represented though.
You don't really need to stick to different countries and cultures. Women's boxing is a thing, so you could make a Punch Out! with a female cast. And heck, Peach was one of the suggested Secret characters for Punch Out! Wii before they went with Donkey Kong.

And besides, part of Punch Out's fun is you're a normal boxer going up against heavyweight boxers, and then eventually fight against heavyweight boxers who can break the sound barrier with rapid punches, can summon copies against you, drinks soda pop in the middle of a match, a literal cheater and even Donkey Kong. Besides the usuals like your giant muscle woman or beauty-obsessed woman with an "Oh ho ho ho" laugh and whatnot, imagine boxing against crazier archetype/tropes that you wonder how they get away with it like a magical girl or a cyborg/robot woman and etc.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Kind of ironic considering Nintendo has slowed their remakes/good-effort ports to a trickle with the Switch in favor of simple re-releases.

I'm guessing they were on top of things regarding their remake game with the GBA-3DS since their dedicated handhelds could support lower budgets, freeing up resources to work on additional content. They can't easily get away with that on the Switch.
Come to think of it, how many remakes do we have on Switch? Unless I'm forgetting something (and not counting Wii U ports/third party stuff), there's...
  • Link's Awakening DX
  • Miitopia
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX
  • Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl
  • Advance Wars (assuming it comes out)
  • Xenoblade Definitive Edition (debatable if it's a remake or a remaster, but I'd say it counts)
  • Skyward Sword HD (more debatable, but for the sake of being thorough)
Honestly that's more than I thought there was. A few more would be nice, but I'm satisfied with this list for now.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, how many remakes do we have on Switch? Unless I'm forgetting something (and not counting Wii U ports/third party stuff), there's...
  • Link's Awakening DX
  • Miitopia
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX
  • Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl
  • Advance Wars (assuming it comes out)
  • Xenoblade Definitive Edition (debatable if it's a remake or a remaster, but I'd say it counts)
  • Skyward Sword HD (more debatable, but for the sake of being thorough)
Honestly that's more than I thought there was. A few more would be nice, but I'm satisfied with this list for now.
Touché. I just wish they wouldn't shy away from "ports of remakes" instead of re-releasing originals constantly. The Switch remake lineup is full of lesser lights either because the originals are either lesser known or not as highly regarded.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Here's my Punch-Out!!! reboot pitch then.

First the campaign is pretty basic. Basically just bring all the previous boxers (minus Tison though, literally get any other celebrity boxer/UFC person if it's important but I'd personally opt for none because I think it's a distraction) back including Donkey Kong and maybe add K.Rool in there too.

As far as new characters are concerned I always thought a good idea for a potential Punch-Out reboot would be to introduce the Teleroboxer (Virtual Boy game of all things) as the third challenge set after the set of rematches against the powered-up cast. Seems like a challenge Little Mac would be into. I'll leave an example of these characters in a spoiler below. I think there are like 7 to 8 total Teleroboxer characters.

I also like what this guy came up with to give the game some more depth. I think coupled with maybe a controllable lateral movement option akin to Super Punch-Out (as opposed to the automatic on-rails style it functioned as in that specific game) would be a stellar addition to the game. So like basically controllable lateral movement and diagonal that can function as both quick dodges and repositioning and maybe you could also laterally move from this more diagonal location too! That sounds amazing honesty. Would basically give the game the most movement possible while still retaining Punch Out's identity.

Add multiplayer with online functionality and you're set. I think the main focus would be playing as the opponent boxers from the campaign against each other. There would be some sort of meter system rationing out their ability to utilize their more powerful moves and maybe that's how balancing would work. With the more broken later characters require more meter for their lesser attacks than the likes of Glass Joe for his most powerful moves. I don't really know about this I haven't really thought about it too much other than to vaguely consider it a possible approach here. There would also be a mode that restricts players to Little Mac allowing for a more purist approach to online play.

Yeah beyond that just bring back the core gameplay and you're set. The literal perfect Punch Out game/reboot I believe.

Eb2dt5yWsAIeAQe.jpg
Obscure Nintendo Characters on Twitter: Johnny Bysel & Pagero First  appearance: Teleroboxer (VB) The game's first opponent.  https://t.co/cinrIekQio / Twitter
Teleroboxer (1995) Manuals « Planet Virtual Boy
Teleroboxer (1995) Manuals « Planet Virtual Boy

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Punch-Out lampoons my background and I love it. It's absurdly stereotypical, yeah, but it's not malicious.

That said, not everyone will feel that way and they're probably not going to bother with Punch-Out in the current climate because of it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Here's my Punch-Out!!! reboot pitch then.

First the campaign is pretty basic. Basically just bring all the previous boxers (minus Tison though, literally get any other celebrity boxer/UFC person if it's important but I'd personally opt for none because I think it's a distraction) back including Donkey Kong and maybe add K.Rool in there too.

As far as new characters are concerned I always thought a good idea for a potential Punch-Out reboot would be to introduce the Teleroboxer (Virtual Boy game of all things) as the third challenge set after the set of rematches against the powered-up cast. Seems like a challenge Little Mac would be into. I'll leave an example of these characters in a spoiler below. I think there are like 7 to 8 total Teleroboxer characters.

I also like what this guy came up with to give the game some more depth. I think coupled with maybe a controllable lateral movement option akin to Super Punch-Out (as opposed to the automatic on-rails style it functioned as in that specific game) would be a stellar addition to the game. So like basically controllable lateral movement and diagonal that can function as both quick dodges and repositioning and maybe you could also laterally move from this more diagonal location too! That sounds amazing honesty. Would basically give the game the most movement possible while still retaining Punch Out's identity.

Add multiplayer with online functionality and you're set. I think the main focus would be playing as the opponent boxers from the campaign against each other. There would be some sort of meter system rationing out their ability to utilize their more powerful moves and maybe that's how balancing would work. With the more broken later characters require more meter for their lesser attacks than the likes of Glass Joe for his most powerful moves. I don't really know about this I haven't really thought about it too much other than to vaguely consider it a possible approach here. There would also be a mode that restricts players to Little Mac allowing for a more purist approach to online play.

Yeah beyond that just bring back the core gameplay and you're set. The literal perfect Punch Out game/reboot I believe.

Actually, I had a similar idea for Teleroboxer, but it was more of a reverse situation to this: basically, it's a Teleroboxer reboot/remake, but it features Little Mac as a secret opponent. Maybe have it be recealed that this is set in the future of Punch-Out, and Old Man Mac (patent pending) comes out of retirement to prove that OG boxing is still just as awesome as robot boxing. Like, remember Real Steel? Something like that.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Honestly I think a Punch-Out Women’s League could be interesting. Like, imagine Boxers with Women’s Stereotypes instead of Men’s. I think it could be interesting and would actually feel right at home in the universe of Punch-Out. Like, maybe there’s a Boxer from Utah who is the stereotypical housewife, or one from Japan who is a Yandere/Tsundere mix. How about one from Hollywood who is a massive parody of Captain Marvel, Rey, and characters like them. Maybe even bring in Peach, as well as potentially Glass Joe in drag looking to cheat because of his losing streak, and still having a massive losing streak regardless, with the ending having him be exposed live. Honestly I think it could be amazing, and would be a perfect excuse to make a direct sequel to Wii that still feels super distinct. Never happening but I like it.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Honestly I think a Punch-Out Women’s League could be interesting. Like, imagine Boxers with Women’s Stereotypes instead of Men’s. I think it could be interesting and would actually feel right at home in the universe of Punch-Out. Like, maybe there’s a Boxer from Utah who is the stereotypical housewife, or one from Japan who is a Yandere/Tsundere mix. How about one from Hollywood who is a massive parody of Captain Marvel, Rey, and characters like them. Maybe even bring in Peach, as well as potentially Glass Joe in drag looking to cheat because of his losing streak, and still having a massive losing streak regardless, with the ending having him be exposed live. Honestly I think it could be amazing, and would be a perfect excuse to make a direct sequel to Wii that still feels super distinct. Never happening but I like it.
Tbh I always see Daisy as more fitting for boxing games than Peach

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Tangentially related, but the first known fighting video game was a boxing arcade title: Sega's Heavyweight Champ from 1976. It's now considered lost media with no working cabinets in existence, and is so obscure that we didn't even have footage of it until a San Diego news station uploaded a 1977 news report about arcades on their YouTube channel (notice the different pronunciation of Sega to show you how unknown the company was to the American public at this point):

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So since I was interested, I made a general tally of Nintendo's franchises and sorted them based on how Alive they currently are. However, I used these rules:

- A Dead franchise needed to have more than one game. If I included one-offs, this list would be very long and biased toward the Dead side. As a result, this omitted a few notable games, like Ice Climber, Clu Clu Land, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Duck Hunt, and Mach Rider for the NES, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower for Wii to complete the Rainfall trilogy, and Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Ever Oasis for the 3DS. As such, all titles listed have at least two entries in their series.

- The categories are Alive, Dormant, and Dead/Inactive. Entries under "Alive" are ones that received brand new titles on the Switch/since the Switch launched (in the case of Pikmin with its new mobile game). Entries under "Dormant" have either received enhanced ports or remasters for the Switch, but no new titles. Entries under "Dead/Inactive" have not received a new title or enhanced port, and if they had one during the late 3DS/Wii U era, it was a flop (hence why Star Fox and Dillon's Rolling Western are here).

- There are four franchises that were hard to place due to not having new Switch titles but doing at least reasonably well in the late 3DS/Wii U era. These were Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy, Style Savvy, and Tomodachi Life. I have placed them in Dormant for now since I feel they could, theoretically, get a Switch title any time, but your mileage may vary.

Nintendo's Active Franchises:

Super Mario (+ Mario Kart, Mario Sports, Mario Party, Paper Mario, etc)
Luigi's Mansion
Yoshi's Island
WarioWare
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
Pokémon
Fire Emblem
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros.
Brain Age
Wii Sports (through Nintendo Switch Sports)

(1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, ARMS, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit Adventure are, thus far, Switch-era one-offs as well)

Nintendo's Dormant Franchises:

Donkey Kong Country
Famicom Detective Club
Advance Wars
Big Brain Academy
BOXBOY!
Rhythm Heaven
Art Academy
Style Savvy
Tomodachi Life

Nintendo's Inactive and Dead Franchises:

Star Fox
EarthBound
F-Zero
Kid Icarus
Wii Fit
Punch-Out!!
Excitebike
Balloon Fight
Famicom Fairytales
StarTropics
Panel de Pon
1080° Snowboarding
Wave Race
Custom Robo
Sin & Punishment
Kururin
Golden Sun
The Legendary Starfy
Magical Starsign
Chibi-Robo
Jam with the Band
Trace Memory/Another Code
Hotel Dusk
Fossil Fighters
Nintendogs
Steel Diver
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Fluidity

I undoubtedly missed some, but there we go. There's...a good deal more Dead multi-entry series than Alive ones. And only one of them is completely Japan-only (Famicom Fairytales/Famicom Musakibanashi, the umbrella title that Shin Onigashima and Yūyūki fall under). All of the others had at least one international release.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So since I was interested, I made a general tally of Nintendo's franchises and sorted them based on how Alive they currently are. However, I used these rules:

- A Dead franchise needed to have more than one game. If I included one-offs, this list would be very long and biased toward the Dead side. As a result, this omitted a few notable games, like Ice Climber, Clu Clu Land, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Duck Hunt, and Mach Rider for the NES, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower for Wii to complete the Rainfall trilogy, and Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Ever Oasis for the 3DS. As such, all titles listed have at least two entries in their series.

- The categories are Alive, Dormant, and Dead/Inactive. Entries under "Alive" are ones that received brand new titles on the Switch/since the Switch launched (in the case of Pikmin with its new mobile game). Entries under "Dormant" have either received enhanced ports or remasters for the Switch, but no new titles. Entries under "Dead/Inactive" have not received a new title or enhanced port, and if they had one during the late 3DS/Wii U era, it was a flop (hence why Star Fox and Dillon's Rolling Western are here).

- There are four franchises that were hard to place due to not having new Switch titles but doing at least reasonably well in the late 3DS/Wii U era. These were Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy, Style Savvy, and Tomodachi Life. I have placed them in Dormant for now since I feel they could, theoretically, get a Switch title any time, but your mileage may vary.

Luigi's Mansion
Yoshi's Island
WarioWare
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
Pokémon
Fire Emblem
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros.
Brain Age

(1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, ARMS, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit Adventure are, thus far, Switch-era one-offs as well)

Donkey Kong Country
Famicom Detective Club
Advance Wars
Big Brain Academy
BOXBOY!
Rhythm Heaven
Art Academy
Style Savvy
Tomodachi Life

Star Fox
EarthBound
F-Zero
Kid Icarus
Wii Fit
Punch-Out!!
Excitebike
Balloon Fight
Famicom Fairytales
StarTropics
Panel de Pon
1080° Snowboarding
Wave Race
Custom Robo
Sin & Punishment
Kururin
Golden Sun
The Legendary Starfy
Magical Starsign
Chibi-Robo
Jam with the Band
Hotel Dusk
Fossil Fighters
Nintendogs
Steel Diver
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Fluidity

I undoubtedly missed some, but there we go. There's...a good deal more Dead multi-entry series than Alive ones. And only one of them is completely Japan-only (Famicom Fairytales/Famicom Musakibanashi, the umbrella title that Shin Onigashima and Yūyūki fall under). All of the others had at least one international release.
Stupid question: how many of the dead franchises have ONLY two games? I don't know why, but that rule is throwing me off (maybe it's because I personally think 3 games makes a franchise? I'm not sure).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Stupid question: how many of the dead franchises have ONLY two games? I don't know why, but that rule is throwing me off (maybe it's because I personally think 3 games makes a franchise? I'm not sure).
A few of them have two, but not as many as one might assume, actually.

I mainly used two as the reference point because it shows the series wasn't a one-off.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Luigi's Mansion
Yoshi's Island
WarioWare
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
Pokémon
Fire Emblem
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros.
Brain Age

Donkey Kong Country
Famicom Detective Club
Advance Wars
Big Brain Academy
BOXBOY!
Rhythm Heaven
Art Academy
Style Savvy
Tomodachi Life

Star Fox
EarthBound
F-Zero
Kid Icarus
Wii Fit
Punch-Out!!
Excitebike
Balloon Fight
Famicom Fairytales
StarTropics
Panel de Pon
1080° Snowboarding
Wave Race
Custom Robo
Sin & Punishment
Kururin
Golden Sun
The Legendary Starfy
Magical Starsign
Chibi-Robo
Jam with the Band
Hotel Dusk
Fossil Fighters
Nintendogs
Steel Diver
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Fluidity

box boy has a new game on the switch. And I believe last years big brain academy was new as well

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Tbh I always see Daisy as more fitting for boxing games than Peach
Yeah, but at the same time Peach was considered for Punch-Out Wii, and I think Daisy could also make a good substitute for Little Mac considering she would totally enter a Boxing League one day for fun. Someone familiar as a player character to help sell copies, yet also someone who would still fit into the world of Punch-Out with relative ease.
box boy has a new game on the switch. And I believe last years big brain academy was new as well
There was also two new Famicom Detective Club Games last year. Remakes, yes, but there were indeed new entries last year.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero

Luigi's Mansion
Yoshi's Island
WarioWare
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
Pokémon
Fire Emblem
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros.
Brain Age

Donkey Kong Country
Famicom Detective Club
Advance Wars
Big Brain Academy
BOXBOY!
Rhythm Heaven
Art Academy
Style Savvy
Tomodachi Life

Star Fox
EarthBound
F-Zero
Kid Icarus
Wii Fit
Punch-Out!!
Excitebike
Balloon Fight
Famicom Fairytales
StarTropics
Panel de Pon
1080° Snowboarding
Wave Race
Custom Robo
Sin & Punishment
Kururin
Golden Sun
The Legendary Starfy
Magical Starsign
Chibi-Robo
Jam with the Band
Hotel Dusk
Fossil Fighters
Nintendogs
Steel Diver
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Fluidity

What if we compared that with Sony IE? Like I said earlier, they seem to prefer to regularly release major IPs that just come and go mostly rather than maintain older ones as long as possible.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Tangentially related, but the first known fighting video game was a boxing arcade title: Sega's Heavyweight Champ from 1976. It's now considered lost media with no working cabinets in existence, and is so obscure that we didn't even have footage of it until a San Diego news station uploaded a 1977 news report about arcades on their YouTube channel (notice the different pronunciation of Sega to show you how unknown the company was to the American public at this point):

"Seega" ha!

Ivander

Smash Legend
...I literally said Remakes fell under Dormant in the post lol.
Entries under "Dormant" have either received enhanced ports or remasters for the Switch
I mean, some people may think remakes are different from enhanced ports or remasters. Considering most enhanced ports or remasters tend to look at the same as the original, but higher definition and sometimes a couple new things. Or some people look at the difference between the original Famicom Detective Club games and it's remakes and think of them as like Resident Evil and it's remake. Something that very much feels like it was made from the ground up than just ported and enhanced or remastered.

If anything, the loose terming of remake, remaster and enhanced port for marketing has probably perverted people's views on what actually is a remake, remaster and enhanced port. Like wasn't Wind Waker for Wii U described as a remake by Nintendo before it came out and looked more like a remastered or enhanced port?
as well as potentially Glass Joe in drag looking to cheat because of his losing streak, and still having a massive losing streak regardless, with the ending having him be exposed live.
Nah, that really doesn't fit him. Glass Joe is not a cheater. Heck, if using real boxing rules and whatnot, Glass Joe only has 1 infraction which is just the length of his hair being longer than the requirement. Otherwise, he, alongside Sandman and Piston Honda(who has 2), have the lowest amount of infractions for the Punch Out Wii boxers. So no, keep Glass Joe as the man with a mind of steel he's always been.
If you have to make a joke about Glass Joe, why not just make his wife or girlfriend be one of the Last 3 toughest boxers you face? For the stereotypical, "Weak Husband/Strong Wife" trope?

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Nah, that really doesn't fit him. Glass Joe is not a cheater. Heck, if using real boxing rules and whatnot, Glass Joe only has 1 infraction which is just the length of his hair being longer than the requirement. Otherwise, he, alongside Sandman and Piston Honda(who has 2), have the lowest amount of infractions for the Punch Out Wii boxers. So no, keep Glass Joe as the man with a mind of steel he's always been.
If you have to make a joke about Glass Joe, why not just make his wife or girlfriend be one of the Last 3 toughest boxers you face? For the stereotypical, "Weak Husband/Strong Wife" trope?
True. Actually, idea. What if Glass Joe us in the ring for the first round of the final boxer, but then he gets squashed because he’s Glass Joe, and then you actually fight the Champ.

Ivander

Smash Legend
True. Actually, idea. What if Glass Joe us in the ring for the first round of the final boxer, but then he gets squashed because he’s Glass Joe, and then you actually fight the Champ.
😰 I know Glass Joe is often the butt monkey of getting beaten over and over. But why do you want to keep hurting him? Seriously, the man is just trying to do his best. Why does he need to get hurt indiscriminately? 😰

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
😰 I know Glass Joe is often the butt monkey of getting beaten over and over. But why do you want to keep hurting him? Seriously, the man is just trying to do his best. Why does he need to get hurt indiscriminately? 😰
Because it’s funny lol.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm starting to think inner-city street brawler beat-em-up hero is just as stereotypical/archetypical as sword-wielding RPG hero and gun-toting marine shooter hero.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Four Horsemen of Apocalypse:
  1. Platform Scrimblo
  2. JRPG Swordguy
  3. Brawler Punchydude
  4. Pewpew Marine
Strange how Smash has so much of the former two yet so little of the latter two.
----
Also, there's gi-wearing shoto fighter hero.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm starting to think inner-city street brawler beat-em-up hero is just as stereotypical/archetypical as sword-wielding RPG hero and gun-toting marine shooter hero.
Where were you during the 90s, when beat-em-ups and fighting games were all the rage back then?

Also, Ryu, Ken, Terry and Kazuya do count as Brawler Punchydude.
Four Horsemen of Apocalypse:
  1. Platform Scrimblo
  2. JRPG Swordguy
  3. Brawler Punchydude
  4. Pewpew Marine
Does Spaceship McShootemup serve under any of them?

Top Bottom