• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
Speaking of funny haha but not really WTF with Deadly Premonitions 2? Lol

. >.>;

It's like.... "Oh my Lord!" and ... Sigh.

And what's with the skateboard?

Ugh. It actually compelled me to wanna play the game, quirks aside (like choppy camera and awkward timing in cutscenes) and forgiving the ... heavy use of cliché.

Anyway, this title was a switch exclusive until recently apparently going to steam and for some reason this was newsworthy.

But along a broader topic of exclusivity and "survival horror" rep in Smash.... At this point I'd be grateful for just 1 true rep ... (Luigi survived the King Boo!) Oh yeah actually King Boo was terrifying...

King Boo for Smash.
Not sure how a character who literally can't even stand on the ground can work in Smash, but if they can make it work, I won't complain.

As far as survival horror reps go, I think any of the "classic four" of Resident Evil: Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire, stand the biggest chance.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I guess I'll share my wants for the next Smash too.

TBH, everything I want of the sequel is not a character. I posted most of these on this thread, but I'll compile them here as well.

Additions to gameplay:
  • Consolidate Cloud's Limit, Mac's KO Punch, and Terry's Desperation into a single "super meter" mechanic, and map the "Super Special" button to Y by default. You can build the super meter up to three charges, and using one super special will expend one of those charges (with a few exceptions). Super specials will be powered-up versions of existing specials, not new moves though.
  • Offer alternative movesets for certain characters (mainly the 64/Melee veterans) while keeping their original movesets as default to satiate those who want them revamped.
  • Add a "wavedash button" mapped to R by default. This would let you essentially wavedash easily, and it would even let you adjust the length of the wavedash by tilting the control stick as in Melee. What's more, all jabs and tilts as well as a few specials (like Reflector) should be cancelable with the "wavedash button", which would allow for greater grounded combo opportunities.
  • Add Small Battlefield and Smashville modes as competitive universal stage options.
Changes to gameplay:
  • Replace air dodging with air dashing ("wavedash button" in air) and air shielding. I find air dodging a bad mechanic for unnecessarily slowing down the aerial game by its very nature as an "invulnerable maneuver". Therefore, it should be separated into air dashing as the "burst air movement" option and air shielding as "aerial defense" that can be more quickly interrupted with a grab.
  • Redo most neutral airs as aerial jabs. This would give a pinch of that MvC flavor for more satisfying aerial combos.
  • Tying in with the above, make up tilts interruptible early with jump.
  • Make jabs cancelable into tilts. What I mean by this is that if you input the first few hits of a jab, the last hit can be replaced by a tilt. This can apply to both rapids and three-hitters.
  • Replace move staling with a more standard combo decay system. Like it or not, move staling overly favors the damage output of speedsters with a variety of combo moves over glaciers with one or two. Combo decay will make it so that speedsters won't utterly trounce glaciers in damage output.
Other:
  • Adventure Mode: I would like to have several "mini Adventures", like Mario Adventure, Zelda Adventure, Metroid Adventure, Pokémon Adventure, Fire Emblem Adventure, Xenoblade Adventure, etc.

Each Adventure would only be three stages plus a boss, with each being a "summary" of the series as a whole. For example, Mario Adventure would involve running in a grassland, then an underground level, then finally Bowser's Castle, and then you fight Giga Bowser at the end. The other Adventures would be like that in different franchises. Of course, the staple enemies and visuals from each franchise would be represented.
  • Special team victory animations. If you have two characters on a team that "make sense" together, like Mario and Luigi, Mario and Peach, Bowser and Jr., Link and Zelda(?), two Inklings, Chrom/Robin/Lucina, Pit and Palutena, Fox and Falco, etc., they will have a special victory pose where they can have their special interactions.
Maybe:
  • Replace spotdodging with a universal counter. Admittedly, I just thought of this since counters are such a common special, so why not make it universal?
  • "Super Throws", which would be kill throws or immobilization throws at the cost of meter. You would press Y/AB+direction while grabbing to do a super throw, and this would really bring back 64-esque kill throws for all/most characters while giving them a bigger drawback. It would free up normal throws to be exclusively for combos or keepaway.
And for everyone who says "Smash should stay simple" (while wanting Pokémon to be less simple), a few of these changes at a time would be better than all at once.
Despite playing Smash a lot against the AI, I’ve always been just a super casual player so I never really knew enough about the mechanics to have specific suggestions. As long as the game is fun to play and has a good co-op mode with a lot of my favorite characters, I’ll be happy. I don’t think I was ever good enough at the game for the advanced mechanics to come into play even though I’ve been playing since Smash 64. I don’t have any issue with more advanced mechanics being added in as long as it remains easy to pick up and play for beginners and casuals.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I'm gonna if Samus gets a skin in Fortnite, but only if the trailer seems that looks like a teaser for Prime 4 but it isn't (in other words, a fake-out trailer).
That would piss-off Metroid fans.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Despite playing Smash a lot against the AI, I’ve always been just a super casual player so I never really knew enough about the mechanics to have specific suggestions. As long as the game is fun to play and has a good co-op mode with a lot of my favorite characters, I’ll be happy. I don’t think I was ever good enough at the game for the advanced mechanics to come into play even though I’ve been playing since Smash 64.
I find that most of Smash's advanced techniques are some form of burst movement, so consolidating all of that into an explicit burst movement mechanic will solve much of the problem of Smash removing emergent tech.

The people who will complain are those who want precise Kaizo inputs like L-Canceling and One-Frame Links, but you can't please everyone.

Presumably by how they made Rosalina work
She can stand on the ground though.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I find that most of Smash's advanced techniques are some form of burst movement, so consolidating all of that into an explicit burst movement mechanic will solve much of the problem of Smash removing emergent tech.

The people who will complain are those who want precise Kaizo inputs like L-Canceling and One-Frame Links, but you can't please everyone.

She can stand on the ground though.
Does Dark Samus ever stand on the ground? As far as I remember, she’s constantly floating.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Not sure how a character who literally can't even stand on the ground can work in Smash, but if they can make it work, I won't complain.

As far as survival horror reps go, I think any of the "classic four" of Resident Evil: Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire, stand the biggest chance.
I’m rooting for Nemesis as far as survival horror reps go but he’s a bit of an underdog when compared to the more popular protagonists. There’s also his design that might have to be toned down to fit a rating suitable for Smash. I just really like the idea of a zombie being used as the playable representation of RE in Smash.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I’m rooting for Nemesis as far as survival horror reps go but he’s a bit of an underdog when compared to the more popular protagonists. There’s also his design that might have to be toned down to fit a rating suitable for Smash. I just really like the idea of a zombie being used as the playable representation of RE in Smash.
I can imagine it now... "STARS!" then "NEMESIS Joins the Battle!" splashes across the screen.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I have a question:
"When making examples for Non-Video Game / 4th Party characters that can't join Smash, why Goku is the first one that comes to our mind?"
Is not becuse childhood bias,
does anyone has the origin of the meme?

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm well with regards to the fabled 1-2 Switch sequel game I'd say they should probably just cut their losses if they're honestly THAT worried about it. I doubt the game had any serious development put into it that'd be worth risking a hit to Nintendo's reputation (it's probably the reason the game got made in the first place trying to capitalize on a cheap to make product potentially moving millions of units/downloads) though I'd argue Nintendo's positive reputation is at best a tad bit overblown or at worst unearned these days. it's definitely not the badge of quality control they still think it is (looking specifically at Super Mario Party what an absolute waste of that rebranding for the series and only to split the user base later... just completely stupid on Nintendo's part) Personally I doubt releasing a crappy game under their brand could do any serious damage even in the short-term. Nintendo fans can be loyal to the point of absurdity though that's seemingly slowly starting to crack. Children these days don't really give a **** about Nintendo like they used to and I think it's overall a good thing since it'll challenge Nintendo to do better for their existing customers.

In lighter news considering the dumpster fire that is the Xenoblade 3 Special Edition pre orders, Crash leak season is back. Source for this one is pretty good, seeing as it is the head editor of Windows Central. If you are a Crash fan, keep your expectations in check but its ok to be optimistic.
Crash?!? Is it Crash?!?! He's really great! You guys should consider supporting him as a potential entrant into SUPER!!!! SMASH!!!! BROS!!!! someday! #CRASH4SMASH

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Nintendo then Sony now Nintendo again but maybe Sony again if I can ever get a PS5.

The best in doing the worst.
Ah yes, Nintendo and their oft famous examples of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Or as I used to exclaim "typical Nintendo bull****" but alas they have the floor so to speak cause switch is awesome (like who the f has 2 ps4s or 2 xboxs but we're getting another switch for the house? Yeesh).

Oh yeah this

Now if only it worked in reverse! :4pacman:

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Lord
This story with Microsoft trying to acquire Nintendo in 1999 made me think of the following, if Nintendo were acquired by Microsoft, would it release the consoles it has invented to date or would its games be released for the XBOX console series? I'm glad that Nintendo was not bought and that no one will ever do it in the future. The Nintendo is worth a lot in itself.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This story with Microsoft trying to acquire Nintendo in 1999 made me think of the following, if Nintendo were acquired by Microsoft, would it release the consoles it has invented to date or would its games be released for the XBOX console series? I'm glad that Nintendo was not bought and that no one will ever do it in the future. The Nintendo is worth a lot in itself.
You know... That's a good question.

(I would think it's the second one.)

Quillion

Smash Hero
  • Sony is best at making new IPs.
  • Nintendo is best at maintaining their existing IPs.
  • Microsoft is best at gaining ownership of other IPs.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Eh Nintendo has more dead IPs than their living IPs
So in the last 5 years:
19/60
17/60 if not counting remakes
19 or 17/58 if not counting 101 or Fatal Frame due to their releases on other consoles.

If doing all 3DS/Wii U/Switch games:
29/60
27/58 if not counting 101 or Fatal Frame.
Done around September 2021. Basically, 17/19 franchises got a new game in the last 6 years and 27/29 out of 58/60 franchises if counting all Nintendo franchises with a new game on 3DS, Wii U and Switch. And we can add 1 more to each one for 18/20 in the last 6 years - 28/30 for all 3DS/Wii U/Switch games out of 59/61 thanks to Famincom Detective Club getting a dual remake release.
If calculating by the last 6 years, almost 1/3 of Nintendo's franchises got a game and if counting all 3DS/Wii U/Switch games, almost half of Nintendo's franchises got a game. That's honestly quite impressive.

Edit: And note that this doesn't include stand-alone games, this is for Nintendo game franchises with multiple games.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Seems everyone is expecting some sort of news for some sort of new crash project.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Seems everyone is expecting some sort of news for some sort of new crash project.
Hopefully we get it soon. SGF did NOT give me high hopes.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Eh Nintendo has more dead IPs than their living IPs
The vast majority of Nintendo's "dead" IPs are low-key or one-shot.

Sony IE tries to put out a lot of major IPs, but they mostly just come and go, either intentionally or not.

I'll let you guys decide whether which approach is better.
----
Anyway, this would be a fantastic stage idea wouldn't it? Would've been great for Ultimate's "celebration of all Smash" at any rate.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I guess to be fair, a lot of people could be expecting Nintendo to do more with them because, hey, friggin' Ice Climbers could get into Smash as early as Melee, while having Virtual Console re-releases and the like for pretty much every console generation afterwards.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I guess to be fair, a lot of people could be expecting Nintendo to do more with them because, hey, friggin' Ice Climbers could get into Smash as early as Melee, while having Virtual Console re-releases and the like for pretty much every console generation afterwards.
People expect any media company to do more with their dead franchises. Quite a bit of fans aren't one to let sleeping dogs lie.

It's no different from everyone expecting Microsoft to properly revive Rare's Nintendo-era franchises.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
People expect any media company to do more with their dead franchises. Quite a bit of fans aren't one to let sleeping dogs lie.

It's no different from everyone expecting Microsoft to properly revive Rare's Nintendo-era franchises.
to be fair we are living in the age of the reboot. how many ips have gotten remakes and reboots recently? that would have an effect of expectations i think

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
to be fair we are living in the age of the reboot. how many ips have gotten remakes and reboots recently? that would have an effect of expectations i think
Kind of ironic considering Nintendo has slowed their remakes/good-effort ports to a trickle with the Switch in favor of simple re-releases.

I'm guessing they were on top of things regarding their remake game with the GBA-3DS since their dedicated handhelds could support lower budgets, freeing up resources to work on additional content. They can't easily get away with that on the Switch.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Sony IE tries to put out a lot of major IPs, but they mostly just come and go, either intentionally or not.

I'll let you guys decide whether which approach is better.
----
Anyway, this would be a fantastic stage idea wouldn't it? Would've been great for Ultimate's "celebration of all Smash" at any rate.

if you take off one shot i could still name a lot
Punch-out, Chibi-robo, Excite, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Mother, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Game & Watch, Wario Land, Pilotwings and there are probably more these are all successful franchises that are kept dead

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Was the Shigesato Itoi's statement of "Mother series is over" an excuse or a misunderstanding of the English translation?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
if you take off one shot i could still name a lot
Punch-out, Chibi-robo, Excite, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Mother, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Game & Watch, Wario Land and there are probably more these are all successful franchises that are kept dead
I feel like Excite, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Custom Robo, and Wario Land still have potential left to be fair. Wario Land should start integrating setting elements of WarioWare and vice versa though.

Unless they can make a whole bunch of non-offensive stereotypes for new characters for another Punch-Out, I don't see a new installment happening. Chibi-Robo felt very much wrapped up in its first installment, and Mother/EarthBound also wrapped itself up with a neat little bow. Dark Dawn feels a bit of an unnecessary Boruto/Cursed Child continuation.

Top Bottom