• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Shroob

Sup?
I don't really mind the XB2 designs tbh.

They're very much a "Let's appeal to our Japanese audience", but that's basically Nintendo as a whole, the west is their secondary market. It's just that Xenoblade and Fire Emblem as of late are more willing to push into the very anime/fanservice-y demographics.

Perhaps it's because I've watched anime.... basically all my life, but the large majority of XB2 designs don't even phase me.

Except for one.

One of them's a bit much.

You all know the one.

Dahlia.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't really mind the XB2 designs tbh.

They're very much a "Let's appeal to our Japanese audience", but that's basically Nintendo as a whole, the west is their secondary market. It's just that Xenoblade and Fire Emblem as of late are more willing to push into the very anime/fanservice-y demographics.

Perhaps it's because I've watched anime.... basically all my life, but the large majority of XB2 designs don't even phase me.

Except for one.

One of them's a bit much.

You all know the one.

Dahlia.
Apparently XC2's designs were how they were because the game was developed by a skeleton crew, so they commissioned a lot of outside workers, among them several artists to do the character designs (among them Tetsuya Nomura of all people). Those artists were essentially given free reign to do what they wanted.

FE Awakening's fanservice was ramped up, but it still felt logical and practical in the setting for the most part. Fates went into sheer pandering levels though, and 3H almost completely abandoned the fanservice.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Apparently XC2's designs were how they were because the game was developed by a skeleton crew, so they commissioned a lot of outside workers, among them several artists to do the character designs (among them Tetsuya Nomura of all people). Those artists were essentially given free reign to do what they wanted.

FE Awakening's fanservice was ramped up, but it still felt logical and practical in the setting for the most part. Fates went into sheer pandering levels though, and 3H almost completely abandoned the fanservice.
yeah the characters look they way they do cause they were designed by a manga artist who I think has returned for 3. You can probably tell who normua did, the look is distinct

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Fates was almost embarrassing to play at times. I could do without all the face petting and blowing on characters to cool them off when they get out of the shower. It was also really creepy that you could kiss and have children with your kid sisters, some of which were clearly very under age. I’m hoping that part of Fire Emblem never returns.

As far as Monolith’s character design, I sadly have to agree in general. The first Xenoblade is one of my favorite games ever but the only character I’d say has a great design is Dunban. There are some good designs here and there but they don’t really stand up to other JRPGs in general. Even going back before Xenoblade, Baiten Kaitos has some of the worst character designs I’ve ever seen and I’ve never liked what the faces of most characters in Xenosaga looked like. The main character from Xenogears looks really cool though.

1654621679523.jpeg

Just look at these two main characters from Baiten Kaitos. I don’t understand how anyone can argue that these are good character designs. Still, I understand opinions vary so I’m interested to hear if anyone likes these designs and what you like about them.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Fates was almost embarrassing to play at times. I could do without all the face petting and blowing on characters to cool them off when they get out of the shower. It was also really creepy that you could kiss and have children with your kid sisters, some of which were clearly very under age. I’m hoping that part of Fire Emblem never returns.
If you never used the treehouse, you never had to deal with the face petting and whatnot. And the support it gave was next to nothing compared to getting it in battles and skirmishes.

Not saying to bring it back since it's very un-needed, but still, it was very easy to never have to do the face petting and whatnot.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If you never used the treehouse, you never had to deal with the face petting and whatnot. And the support it gave was next to nothing compared to getting it in battles and skirmishes.

Not saying to bring it back since it's very un-needed, but still, it was very easy to never have to do the face petting and whatnot.
In hindsight, I should have just ignored that but I didn’t realize how minimal the support advantage was at the time. I’m also someone that usually likes to try to get the most out of a game but I think I’d have been happier trying to pretend it didn’t exist.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

As far as Monolith’s character design, I sadly have to agree in general. The first Xenoblade is one of my favorite games ever but the only character I’d say has a great design is Dunban. There are some good designs here and there but they don’t really stand up to other JRPGs in general. Even going back before Xenoblade, Baiten Kaitos has some of the worst character designs I’ve ever seen and I’ve never liked what the faces of most characters in Xenosaga looked like. The main character from Xenogears looks really cool though.

View attachment 354253
Just look at these two main characters from Baiten Kaitos. I don’t understand how anyone can argue that these are good character designs. Still, I understand opinions vary so I’m interested to hear if anyone likes these designs and what you like about them.
At least ONE of the reasons to support a Baten Kaitos remake...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Uh.. wut.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Uh.. wut.

Several of these characters are Corrin’s brothers and sisters (blood relatives on Hoshido and adopted on Nohr). After this scene, a new unit is created, which is the child of Corrin and whoever they paired with. I think the worst offender on the female side is probably Elise since her design is very child like. Any of your blood relatives on Hoshido are pretty close to as bad though.

Fates bothered me because part of what I loved about Fire Emblem was the respect it showed to its female characters in Ike’s games. Those characters were really cool without needing to resort to fanservice. I loved Lucia, who was such an awesome character and Mia was really fun. Fates basically threw all that away. The gameplay was still fun but it was kind of sad to see what the series had to resort to. Thankfully, Three Houses toned everything down again and was very successful and I really liked that game.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
err no hes adopted by both
Really? I must have misunderstood the story then. I beat Hoshido’s story and watched ShadyPenguinn play through Nohr’s and for some reason I always assumed that Hoshido were his blood relatives. It’s been a while since I’ve played though. I thought you start the game with Hoshido and then get captured by Nohr early on. I must have missed the part where it said Hoshido adopted Corrin. Either way, it’s still kind of weird to have kids with your adopted siblings that you spent your whole life with.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Really? I must have misunderstood the story then. I beat Hoshido’s story and watched ShadyPenguinn play through Nohr’s and for some reason I always assumed that Hoshido were his blood relatives. It’s been a while since I’ve played though. I thought you start the game with Hoshido and then get captured by Nohr early on. I must have missed the part where it said Hoshido adopted Corrin. Either way, it’s still kind of weird to have kids with your adopted siblings that you spent your whole life with.
the hoshido king was his step father, his mother’s second husband

corrins actual father is only revealed in the 3rd parh

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Now that you mention it, I don't think AW is even guaranteed to be coming out this year anymore...
Honestly I think Nintendo may have done to Advance Wars what they did to Star Fox 2. Really hope that that’s not the case, but it probably is so rip. Hope someone who preloaded it got a rip and leaked it online cause Advance Wars ain’t coming out ANYTIME SOON!

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Honestly I think Nintendo may have done to Advance Wars what they did to Star Fox 2. Really hope that that’s not the case, but it probably is so rip. Hope someone who preloaded it got a rip and leaked it online cause Advance Wars ain’t coming out ANYTIME SOON!
Well SF2 only got canned because they didn't want it competing with SF64. I kind of doubt there's a more advanced Advance Wars in the pipeline. If the series continues, it will be on the back of this game's performance. And it's still a viable product, it's just one that they may sit on until hopefully later this year, but maybe next year.

It's not going to be vaulted for like twenty years. I do worry that it won't come out until a new system detracts from the tail-end Switch titles. Had it come out in Dec 2021 like was intended, the sales would've fared better than whenever it'll eventually release, sadly.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Well SF2 only got canned because they didn't want it competing with SF64. I kind of doubt there's a more advanced Advance Wars in the pipeline. If the series continues, it will be on the back of this game's performance. And it's still a viable product, it's just one that they may sit on until hopefully later this year, but maybe next year.

It's not going to be vaulted for like twenty years. I do worry that it won't come out until a new system detracts from the tail-end Switch titles. Had it come out in Dec 2021 like was intended, the sales would've fared better than whenever it'll eventually release, sadly.
I think it’s going to be vaulted because I doubt the Russia-Ukraine War is going to end anytime soon. As a matter of fact I bet it’s going to get worse. Far worse. That’s why I think it has been vaulted like Star Fox 2.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I think it’s going to be vaulted because I doubt the Russia-Ukraine War is going to end anytime soon. As a matter of fact I bet it’s going to get worse. Far worse. That’s why I think it has been vaulted like Star Fox 2.
This may sound insensitive but while I agree the conflict will continue, I think the media surrounding it will decline, and then when it's subsided to an extent they find sufficient, Nintendo will release the game.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
This may sound insensitive but while I agree the conflict will continue, I think the media surrounding it will decline, and then when it's subsided to an extent they find sufficient, Nintendo will release the game.
Nah. I think World War 3 is inevitable, and there’s no way in HELL they’re going to release ADVANCE WARS during a World War.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have no idea how 1-2 Switch sold well enough to warrant a sequel. I always thought that game looked pretty bad personally.
At least they're taking playtesting super seriously. We're not going to get a situation where they simply skip over playtesting because they know the game will sell like Skyward Sword (albeit that case was due to spending too much time working with the Motionplus).

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Nah. I think World War 3 is inevitable, and there’s no way in HELL they’re going to release ADVANCE WARS during a World War.
While the conflict may escalate depending on who else becomes more involved, this is still very much an alarmist take.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
While the conflict may escalate depending on who else becomes more involved, this is still very much an alarmist take.
Better to expect the worst than to expect the best and be unprepared for a potential World War. I’ve been burned too many times to expect anything but the literal worst, so this is naturally a mentality I would bring over into gaming.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Better to expect the worst than to expect the best and be unprepared for a potential World War. I’ve been burned too many times to expect anything but the literal worst, si this is naturally a mentality I would bring over into gaming.
I think there's a problem if your two modes are expect the worst and expect the best. Most realities reside somewhere in the middle, and people have intermittently been expecting World War 3 since literally the beginning of the Cold War like seventy five years ago.

Also the current situation hasn't impeded the rollout of products like CoD or Battlefield. Nintendo withdrew AW's release out of respect and propriety, but they're not going to sit on it forever. The industry is not going to stop with the military-themed games.

Rushing to extremes like actual WW3 is just going to cause stress and clouded judgments.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Um... I hate to get political, but don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit? Like, I agree that the Russia-Ukraine war isn't gonna end anytime soon, but... World War 3? Really? We're doing everything we can to PREVENT that: that's why so many countries (namely the US) refuse to get directly involved.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Um... I hate to get political, but don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit? Like, I agree that the Russia-Ukraine war isn't gonna end anytime soon, but... World War 3? Really? We're doing everything we can to PREVENT that: that's why so many countries (namely the US) refuse to get directly involved.
I’ll give it 20 years until Global Warming forces us to fight regardless of Ukraine.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
No. It's more that almost all the important details are just door-notes. For example, the reason Nohr is trying to conquer Hoshido is because they are almost out of resources and they desperately need more. This is only mentioned once and it's in Birthright when they've finally reached Nohr, where Silas mentions it to Ryoma when Ryoma asked about Nohr's state. It's never mentioned anywhere else nor in Conquest or Revelations. You would think it would be an important detail for Conquest, but no, you have to make Garon as murderous and evil as possible due to possession that is only mentioned half-way and then near the ending.

In the case for the Hoshido siblings, you never learn you were brought into the Hoshido family alongside Mikoto until the sibling who S-rank confesses to you learns from a "letter from Corrin's mother Mikoto" that you are unrelated. It's very stupid and heck, it was even spoiled ahead of time with Hinoka's C or B-Support, where Corrin and Hinoka are discussing about Hinoka and Mikoto's relationship and Corrin outright mentions, "even though she wasn't your birth mother". Which you'd think that would confirm that Mikoto and Corrin aren't related to the Hoshido siblings, but they still do that "letter" confession if you S-rank Hinoka.

Like I said, alot of Fates' important details, aside from the ones that the story calls for, are practically like door-notes. They would give very good story reasoning if mentioned early on, but they just aren't until they are just dropped. They never get mentioned until they just are. They wanted to make all the siblings, adopted or step-family, supportable and leave none out, but at the same time, rather than imply that Corrin is joining Hoshido to join his mother's family, they made the choice between "blood siblings" and "family you were raised with". Which means they have to ******** why you can S-Support with your Hoshido siblings, which even then, practically ruins the whole "your blood family" or "your adopted family"
If they wanted to allow Corrin to S-rank their Hoshido siblings, what they really should've done is one, make it "join your mother's family" or "your adopted family", then two, make them un-supportable for S-rank until half-way through the story, Ryoma is forced to reveal the truth about their blood relation due to that rogue Hoshido faction that was also mentioned in Supports, but never used in the story, trying to convince Corrin to join them over their mother's family.

Like........there's so much to unpack on why Fates' story is just such a frickin' mess and trust me, the siblings being S-Supportable is probably one of the softest issues compared to many of the much more boneheaded issues.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No. It's more that almost all the important details are just door-notes. For example, the reason Nohr is trying to conquer Hoshido is because they are almost out of resources and they desperately need more. This is only mentioned once and it's in Birthright when they've finally reached Nohr, where Silas mentions it to Ryoma when Ryoma asked about Nohr's state. It's never mentioned anywhere else nor in Conquest or Revelations. You would think it would be an important detail for Conquest, but no, you have to make Garon as murderous and evil as possible due to possession that is only mentioned half-way and then near the ending.

In the case for the Hoshido siblings, you never learn you were brought into the Hoshido family alongside Mikoto until the sibling who S-rank confesses to you learns from a "letter from Corrin's mother Mikoto" that you are unrelated. It's very stupid and heck, it was even spoiled ahead of time with Hinoka's C or B-Support, where Corrin and Hinoka are discussing about Hinoka and Mikoto's relationship and Corrin outright mentions, "even though she wasn't your birth mother". Which you'd think that would confirm that Mikoto and Corrin aren't related to the Hoshido siblings, but they still do that "letter" confession if you S-rank Hinoka.

Like I said, alot of Fates' important details, aside from the ones that the story calls for, are practically like door-notes. They would give very good story reasoning if mentioned early on, but they just aren't until they are just dropped. They never get mentioned until they just are. They wanted to make all the siblings, adopted or step-family, supportable and leave none out, but at the same time, rather than imply that Corrin is joining Hoshido to join his mother's family, they made the choice between "blood siblings" and "family you were raised with". Which means they have to ******** why you can S-Support with your Hoshido siblings, which even then, practically ruins the whole "your blood family" or "your adopted family"
If they wanted to allow Corrin to S-rank their Hoshido siblings, what they really should've done is one, make it "join your mother's family" or "your adopted family", then two, make them un-supportable for S-rank until half-way through the story, Ryoma is forced to reveal the truth about their blood relation due to that rogue Hoshido faction that was also mentioned in Supports, but never used in the story, trying to convince Corrin to join them over their mother's family.

Like........there's so much to unpack on why Fates' story is just such a frickin' mess and trust me, the siblings being S-Supportable is probably one of the softest issues compared to many of the much more boneheaded issues.
so standard jrpg

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The only thing that i can compare Fates is with Donkey Kong's Family Tree.

Due to Junior's absence in the rest of the series, the boy is now coined as the Modern DK's childhood days, whenin reality JR. is Modern DK's father while Cranky's always established as his Grandpappy since the first Country.

Top Bottom