• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’ll admit that I’m biased on the subject but isn’t Gengar really high up there as far as most popular Pokémon go? I thought I remembered it winning some kind of big popularity poll as well at some point.
if memory serves, he was the fan pick for both one get a mega form and one to add to pokken

Gengar84

Smash Hero
We as MK know who the most popular Pokémon is

:206:
I love Dunsparce. I just wish they didn’t nerf status effects. Weaker Pokémon like Dunsparce relied on status to do much of anything useful. With the paralysis nerf to only reducing speed by in half rather than cutting it to 1/4th, it still gets outsped by tons of things so it can reliably paraflinch anymore, which was its only real niche.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
If anything I'd say CYL is a good indicator of one reason why Corrin is, imo, the least likely to return. Out of the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, Male Corrin is like, by far the least popular to an almost embarrassing degree. Across the six polls, he routinely ranks between 40th-80th place while pretty much everyone else is either in the top twenty consistently, or won the whole thing immediately. Yeah, Female Corrin usually ranks within the top ten female characters, but the sheer gap between her popularity and Male Corrin's popularity is more severe than every other avatar character. Like, the only Lord that Male Corrin routinely does better than is Leif...and he's the lord of an infamously-hard Japan-only SNES title that only got an actually decent fan translation a couple of years ago. That doesn't really inspire confidence.

I'm not saying Corrin is meritless, but CYL isn't exactly an indicator in Corrin's favor, and especially not Male Corrin.
Yes because if cyl was a factor marth would have been kicked out a long time ago in favor of long time iconic favorites like gatekeeper and veronica.

Using a poll that's heavily centred around a specific subset of a single audience means nothing for the general recognizability of those characters. I might as well dig out that poll that showed TF2 characters as the most-wanted for smash newcomers.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Potential Scarlet and Violet spoilers:

Anyways, does anyone think that either Koraidon or Miraidon have a shot to be chosen as the Smash rep for the next game? It would be cool to get another legendary and we haven’t had one since Mewtwo. Both of their designs are cool but I’m not sure if they are another Ridley “too big” situation since I don’t believe we know their sizes yet. We did eventually get Ridley so that might not be a barrier.

Yes, that means I caved in and watched the trailer lol. My friend says he’ll be watching all the official trailers so I’ll at least do that as well.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Metaknight. Dunsparce is Metaknight in disguise.
Lol, I think we would all be Metaknight in disguise based on “We as MK”. I’m assuming you’re typing on a cell phone? My phone’s auto correct is horrible and I pretty much only post here on my phone.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Potential Scarlet and Violet spoilers:

Anyways, does anyone think that either Koraidon or Miraidon have a shot to be chosen as the Smash rep for the next game? It would be cool to get another legendary and we haven’t had one since Mewtwo. Both of their designs are cool but I’m not sure if they are another Ridley “too big” situation since I don’t believe we know their sizes yet. We did eventually get Ridley so that might not be a barrier.

Yes, that means I caved in and watched the trailer lol. My friend says he’ll be watching all the official trailers so I’ll at least do that as well.
It's possible yeah, I see them as more likely than any other legendary before them. But we don't know the final form of the starters yet. The best bets are always either the box legendaries or one of the final form of starters, and it's honestly a little boring... I wish we could get someone like Gengar , Garchomp, Blastoise or Snorlax.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's possible yeah, I see them as more likely than any other legendary before them. But we don't know the final form of the starters yet. The best bets are always either the box legendaries or one of the final form of starters, and it's honestly a little boring... I wish we could get someone like Gengar , Garchomp, Blastoise or Snorlax.
And that assumes that we even get a Gen 9 Pokemon in the next Smash, which at this point I only expect if they put a second Smash game on the Switch.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Considering that Gengar is my favorite Pokémon ever and Blastoise is my brother’s, I definitely agree. Blastoise is also a final form of a starter though so it probably wasn’t the best example to use there. We’ve actually never had a playable box legendary Pokémon. Mewtwo is our only playable legendary Pokémon and it was never on the box of any game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Considering that Gengar is my favorite Pokémon ever and Blastoise is my brother’s, I definitely agree. Blastoise is also a final form of a starter though so it probably wasn’t the best example to use there. We’ve actually never had a playable box legendary Pokémon. Mewtwo is our only playable legendary Pokémon and it was never on the box of any game.
miraidon for smash?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Did anyone like Pokemon Rumble way back when? I played it a ton years ago.
Yes, I loved the first Pokémon Rumble game. I don’t like that they ruined it by turning it into a micro transaction game where it forces you to wait between rounds unless you pay money. I wish they’d have just continued making them in the style of the original game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I keep saying that Pokémon's starters are like Fire Emblem lords. They're the most likely to be in Smash (especially with our current track record), but also rather same-y and uninteresting compared to anyone else.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I keep saying that Pokémon's starters are like Fire Emblem lords. They're the most likely to be in Smash (especially with our current track record), but also rather same-y and uninteresting compared to anyone else.
I totally agree as a general rule. There are some exceptions if a starter happens to be one of my or my brother’s favorites, like Blastoise but that honestly has never personally been the case for me. I really like Blastoise, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, and Greninja but there are several Pokémon I like more. Blastoise is still among my most wanted because it’s always been my brother’s favorite Pokémon so that would be really cool for him. Otherwise, I’m pretty bored with both starters and Fire Emblem lords overall despite being a big fan of both series.

Honestly, it’s not even just Pokémon and Fire Emblem for me but most games in general. The main protagonist of a game is almost never my favorite character from that game but is pretty much the only one that ever gets considered for Smash. It makes logical sense but it’s kind of sad for fans of side characters and villains like myself knowing they’ll almost definitely never be playable in Smash.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I totally agree as a general rule. There are some exceptions if a starter happens to be one of my or my brother’s favorites, like Blastoise but that honestly has never personally been the case for me. I really like Blastoise, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, and Greninja but there are several Pokémon I like more. Blastoise is still among my most wanted because it’s always been my brother’s favorite Pokémon so that would be really cool for him. Otherwise, I’m pretty bored with both starters and Fire Emblem lords overall despite being a big fan of both series.

Honestly, it’s not even just Pokémon and Fire Emblem for me but most games in general. The main protagonist of a game is almost never my favorite character from that game but is pretty much the only one that ever gets considered for Smash. It makes logical sense but it’s kind of sad for fans of side characters and villains like myself knowing they’ll almost definitely never be playable in Smash.
And that's why NASB's roster selection is kinda refreshing, because they don't always go for the main protagonist.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
And that's why NASB's roster selection is kinda refreshing, because they don't always go for the main protagonist.
Yeah, I can appreciate that. Unfortunately, I’ve never really been all that into Nickelodeon properties beyond the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Avatar and Korra were great shows but I don’t have the same nostalgia for them as I do for TMNT.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Just throwing it out there:

I've grown to hate discussing "popularity" as a factor in characters getting in Smash, even outside of Pokémon. Popularity as a concept ends up being rather vague and extremely subjective, and people like to think something is more popular than it actually is due to severe confirmation bias in this fandom. I only ever discuss it as I begrudgingly admit it's somewhat of a factor.

Honestly, I'd rather discuss such factors as marketing and recurrent appearances. At least those factors are more concrete and objective.

Same going on about just feels only the biggest brand names and franchises that make most money matter.

At point, why be restricted by gaming, just go the fortnite way and open the floodgates and bring every big brand from all of media here.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Agreed.

I can't really think of a lot of non-starter, non-mascot Pokémon who've been marketed over the years. There's at least Gardevoir and Garchomp, while Lucario is kind of a pseudo-mascot thanks to being one of Gen 4's "ambassadors".

There are also meager options for non-Lord Fire Emblem characters who are marketed. If just go by marketing, all we're left with is... Tharja and Camilla.

*most media in general.

FTFY.

Unfortunately, that's a low-budget project licensed out to an indie developer, so Smash in its current state can't afford to do the same.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Agreed.

I can't really think of a lot of non-starter, non-mascot Pokémon who've been marketed over the years. There's at least Gardevoir and Garchomp, while Lucario is kind of a pseudo-mascot thanks to being one of Gen 4's "ambassadors".

There are also meager options for non-Lord Fire Emblem characters who are marketed. If just go by marketing, all we're left with is... Tharja and Camilla.

*most media in general.

FTFY.

Unfortunately, that's a low-budget project licensed out to an indie developer, so Smash in its current state can't afford to do the same.
I feel like Smash might be able to make an exception if a side character is generally much more popular than the main protagonist. For example, I could potentially see them going with Vivi over Zidane if we ever got a FFIX rep since Vivi tends to be by far the most popular character from that game. We did get Minmin over Spring Man for what I imagine to be similar reasons.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel like Smash might be able to make an exception if a side character is generally much more popular than the main protagonist. For example, I could potentially see them going with Vivi over Zidane if we ever got a FFIX rep since Vivi tends to be by far the most popular character from that game.
It's already happened with Pythra and Min Min tbf, though the former case was partly due to technical limitations.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's already happened with Pythra and Min Min tbf, though the former case was partly due to technical limitations.
I apologize to any Rex fans but that’s the only case where I was personally thankful for those technical limitations. I love Xenoblade but Rex, Tora, Popi, and half the blade designs made 2 really difficult for me to enjoy sometimes. Still a ton of fun to battle and explore and had a great soundtrack.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On the subject of Pokemon has anyone wanted to see a Pokemon fighter in smash that uses its ability? Granted some of them can’t really translate, like static or pressure to use examples from Pokemon in the game. And indeed the odd thing where lucarios gimmick is closer to the starters abilities than anything he does in game. But I think there’s some potential with stuff like weak armour or no ice

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On the subject of Pokemon has anyone wanted to see a Pokemon fighter in smash that uses its ability? Granted some of them can’t really translate, like static or pressure to use examples from Pokemon in the game. And indeed the odd thing where lucarios gimmick is closer to the starters abilities than anything he does in game. But I think there’s some potential with stuff like weak armour or no ice
Yeah, I’m always a big supporter of trying to make Smash fighters bring over as much as possible from their home games. If a Pokémon has an ability that would translate well into a Smash mechanic, I’m all for it.

Stratos

Smash Ace
For the next Nintendo console, I think we will find out somewhere in 2023, why can't it, so much time has passed since the Switch was released, won't the new console be released next year? Especially for the games that will be released there, such as the series Super Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon, Super Smash Bros. etc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I apologize to any Rex fans but that’s the only case where I was personally thankful for those technical limitations. I love Xenoblade but Rex, Tora, Popi, and half the blade designs made 2 really difficult for me to enjoy sometimes. Still a ton of fun to battle and explore and had a great soundtrack.
you find some of the blade designs hard to put up with but you’re fine with pyra and mythra?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
you find some of the blade designs hard to put up with but you’re fine with pyra and mythra?
I’m not really fine with them either but Smash fixed Mythra in my opinion. I actually like Mythra’s Smash design. I personally think that Pyra’s outfit was always bad. Neither of them were ever as bad as that rabbit blade.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m not really fine with them either but Smash fixed Mythra in my opinion. I actually like Mythra’s Smash design. I personally think that Pyra’s outfit was always bad. Neither of them were ever as bad as that rabbit blade.
its a shame cause Dahlia is overall a great character

just... the game has a serious case of Unfortunate Design Syndrome. She was one of the victims alongside Pyra

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
was boreos really that bad? Sure opening up his torso was a bit weird but he was kinda cute

Stratos

Smash Ace
In the next game of the Super Smash Bros. series, the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 will come as a newcomer (for me at least) or if not of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 then "maybe" of Xenoblade Chronicles 4, if Xenoblade Chronicles 4 is released. Okay, of course we're not going for Xenoblade Chronicles 4 yet, because Xenoblade Chronicles 3 hasn't been released yet, but it's just a theory.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
they're referring to the other rabbit

the booba rabbit
Yeah, I was talking about Dahlia, I just forgot her name. Unfortunately I never got to see her story because I refused to use her due to her design. It is a shame if she was actually a great character otherwise and I missed out.
whom are you talking….. oh. Oh no. And to think I managed to block her out

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
For the next Nintendo console, I think we will find out somewhere in 2023, why can't it, so much time has passed since the Switch was released, won't the new console be released next year? Especially for the games that will be released there, such as the series Super Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon, Super Smash Bros. etc.
I'm actually thinking 2024 to be the next console's release date and toward the end of the year.

Top Bottom