• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
Whatever the case, ROB has a whole bunch of cameos in several Nintendo games, so his appearance in Smash isn't that surprising. I'd even say he deserves to be in Smash on account of all his cameos even though his purpose was pretty dumb.

Here's a list.

Quillion

Smash Hero
And if his appearance in Smash was...another cameo, I wouldn't have an issue with it.
Nah, too much of a waste. ROB is clearly very important to Nintendo as seen through his cameos alone. Making his Smash appearance just a cameo wouldn't work.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Whatever the case, ROB has a whole bunch of cameos in several Nintendo games, so his appearance in Smash isn't that surprising. I'd even say he deserves to be in Smash on account of all his cameos even though his purpose was pretty dumb.

Here's a list.
Yeah, looking back on it now, I guess ROB making a cameo in Kirby Dream Land 3 makes his appearance in Smash not all that surprising now.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Uh, yeah. Like, who gives a ****? What does ANY of that have to do with whether a glorified CONTROLLER(and a really bad controller to to boot) should be a fighter in a fighting game?

Next we just gonna make the Power Glove a playable fighter because it was a popular meme despite being a complete piece of ****?

Also, I feel like the idea that ROB "saved the NA video game market" is...like...I don't know where you're getting that. Like, I never new ANYONE that had a ROB. But pretty much everyone I knew had the NES with Zapper.
it matters because it’s an important part of Nintendo that they’re clearly still fond of which was what smash was about in the first place

I get it from historical records

I'm not even sure about that. ROB quickly faded by the time SMB came out.
im not sure you followed that correctly

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The thing with Rob is that he was basically the real world equivalent to click bait.

He was sold to stores and investors as a new hit toy with the NES being a bonus. That's the foot hold that got the NES off the ground, but quickly people realized they were scammed by Rob but stuck around because the games were actually fun lol

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
The thing with Rob is that he was basically the real world equivalent to click bait.

He was sold to stores and investors as a new hit toy with the NES being a bonus. That's the foot hold that got the NES off the ground, but quickly people realized they were scammed by Rob but stuck around because the games were actually fun lol
Pretty much, yeah. R.O.B. was essentially a trojan horse so that retailers would be more open to having Nintendo's new console on shelves since, after the crash, video games were sorta seen as a black sheep to retailers. All R.O.B. had to do was get the eyes of consumers on the NES and the killer software, and as history has shown, it succeeded. Critically, R.O.B. and its two games were not viewed favorably.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I’m just going to post my cut predictions here and watch everyone overreact because I made some ballsy cuts. Also Aegis is now Rex and Pyra lol.
C5CD89A1-16AD-4A51-89FB-DC69C6BFD490.jpeg
C251F39D-FE32-4806-B039-90D1F3052E8A.jpeg
5582458E-C923-4596-9825-76625AF3FFB9.jpeg

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
R.O.B. Was extremely revolutionary for its time. Is it the most beloved peripheral Nintendo has made? No but it definitely was one of the big early selling points of the NES so it’s important in its legacy but not necessarily its history.

I’m just going to post my cut predictions here and watch everyone overreact because I made some ballsy cuts. Also Aegis is now Rex and Pyra lol.
I don't mind it, tbh. The thing that stuck out to me the most was Ike as DLC. But when I thought about it, he's the one Fire Emblem character in the current roster that could be sold as DLC without people blowing a gasket (maybe Robin, too, but Robin feels very base game for some reason). So well done.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Quillion

Smash Hero
Now, i present to you my own take onf the topic.
That's admittedly a reboot roster rather than a cutlist, and I stand by my predicttion that the next Smash will probably recycle assets from Ultimate to ensure most of the cast gets back in.

Not everyone mind, but most of everyone.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
For what it's worth, ROB might be the one Nintendo accessory that's the easiest to make into a character (for that matter, he has had a prior playable appearance in Mario Kart DS). Also, given his role in the Subspace Emissary, one could argue that, much like Captain Falcon, Roy, and Shiek, he might be more of a Smash character than having any association with his home series (in fact, he still doesn't even have a home stage).

Quillion

Smash Hero
For what it's worth, ROB might be the one Nintendo accessory that's the easiest to make into a character (for that matter, he has had a prior playable appearance in Mario Kart DS). Also, given his role in the Subspace Emissary, one could argue that, much like Captain Falcon, Roy, and Shiek, he might be more of a Smash character than having any association with his home series (in fact, he still doesn't even have a home stage).
Damn, I still really want a Gyromite stage.

Also a Bowser's Castle stage and a Dr. Mario stage. Seriously, you don't give Wrecking Crew a stage before freaking Dr. Mario!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think Chrom would be a better "base face" for Fire Emblem in Smash on account of him being Fire Emblem's "Cloud" or "Joker" (or "Makoto Yuki/Minato Arisato" depending on who you talk to).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Exactly. It's a piece of junk Nintendo used to trick people, and isn't really something that should be celebrated.

"Hey, remember that plastic piece of crap we used to scam US kids? We should make a Smash fighter out of that!"

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
I would like the next game to be a "Nintendo VS someone else" game, personally. But I guess don't call that a Smash game. You could basically take the Nintendo roster and basically redo it from scratch/trim it down (though Smash might still be an influence), while also having another half of the roster be mostly newcomers. It seems less disappointing than a reboot and it seems less boring to me than "Ultimate!...again!" Although I think I've said this already way earlier in the thread. Then again, if it was Nintendo VS CAPCOM, basically just make that play like a VS title, which really would be separate from regular Smash.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Well Lucas is not 100% unique; I think it's clear that he still takes less work than, for example, Porky would. That wasn't really the question, though.
I guess the question is more if you think Porky (or potentially another Mother character) would rep the series better than Lucas (or I guess Ness if that is your opinion), taking any differences in resource consumption out of the equation.

I'm not really saying it should happen; it's just sort of a hypothetical question. Yes, I agree that Mother has plenty in Smash already, if not more than enough, and I'm not really asking for more.

And since you bring it up, yeah, I would also like to hear people's thoughts on how they'd envision the Ness and/or Lucas movesets if they only used their own PSI moves and weren't amalgamations.

I also love the Thunder mechanic and am not sure what they'd use without it. And, yes, Rockin and Love for the FS.
I honestly think Porky is best represented as a boss not only for the fact that it's already established work that simply needs to be imported over but because I also think it's the best way to represent him. Smash in general should expand upon what players can do with boss battles. Boss rush is a no brainer but we should be able to order the bosses in any way we see fit and however many we want to face so that'd also include the option for a single battle with one boss. Maybe even matching them up as pairs to fight against? On top of that the ability for a player (or players plural) to play as a boss character to fight other boss characters and the regular cast of Smash would be amazing. Give each boss a block mechanic that severely reduces damage taken at the cost of being unable to attack so players can really go crazy at all levels of skill.

To add to Lucas' potential rework I just remembered the old Ness Up-Special (PK Thunder) custom moves. Namely that big green one that's bigger and more powerful but a bit slower. Give that to either Ness or Lucas to help differentiate them some more. Ness' Neutral-Special PK Flash should allow for an upward trajectory input (like hold Neutral-Special and then hold Up on the left control stick) that mimics the trajectory of his one custom move that shoots the PK Flash directly upward. Maybe to make it fair allow Lucas' PK Freeze to have a bigger horizontal trajectory should the player hold forward on the control stick (relative to where they're facing) to give the attack (PK Freeze) more distance.

Give a Ninten echo the rest of the customs like the faster PK fire that doesn't cause a firepit, the PK Thunder that hits multiple times and PSI Vacuum.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I thought Nintendo confirmed Ultimate was the last every Smash Bros.
They haven't; Sakurai seems to treat every Smash Bros. like it's the last one, but I don't see why they'd stop making a series that's consistently been one of the main reasons why many people buy Nintendo consoles for over two decades.

SmashBall001

Smash Rookie
They haven't; Sakurai seems to treat every Smash Bros. like it's the last one, but I don't see why they'd stop making a series that's consistently been one of the main reasons why many people buy Nintendo consoles for over two decades.
I agree. Heck, I'll buy the next console if there's another Smash, myself. I just seem to remember them calling it "Ultimate" as it was supposedly the last but it would be sad to kill off the series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I agree. Heck, I'll buy the next console if there's another Smash, myself. I just seem to remember them calling it "Ultimate" as it was supposedly the last but it would be sad to kill off the series.
A lot of games have "Ultimate" as a part of their title but they are not necessarily the final entry in their series.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is also a localization choice, as it's called SPECIAL in Japanese versions of the game. If it was named after its last game status, they wouldn't give it that name for only outseas releases.

(or "Makoto Yuki/Minato Arisato" depending on who you talk to).
Asking this as the guy with P3 protag pfp: Does anyone really considers him as the face of the series? I like the guy and he's really popular but I think it's hard to argue against Joker being the most recognizable character in the series at this point.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I do not know if it is true, but somewhere I read that Masahiro Sakurai was looking for someone else to continue the Super Smash Bros. series and did not find anyone. But I still have hopes for the Super Smash Bros. series that it will continue.

Quillion

Smash Hero
TBH, more game developers/studios need to take Sakurai's approach of treating each game in a series as the last, no matter how successful it is. Sakurai clearly uses that mindset to go all out with every Smash game since Melee given the time and money he's granted.

When developers don't do such, we get things like Overwatch 2 feeling like a glorified update, even in its "demo" state.

Top Bottom