• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Interesting you say that, because I feel that if Sakurai's current project is not Smash then Alear's chances are very thin. Because Sakurai's current project was probably not close to being done when Engage came out in Jan 23, so if Smash is put off until after his current job, that likely pushes the project plan quite far after Engage's release. And also pushes Smash way far away from Engage's timeframe of actual marketing relevance.
Well, if a new Smash is coming out in 2026 or 2027 since that'd be a year or two past the release of the Switch 2 as every game except 64 has done, then I feel like it makes sense for the pre-production plan to have happened last year and then two or so years of development (I think the longest dev time Smash has had is nearly three years), so that means the pre-production plan would happen when Engage is still recent enough to not worry about competition from an upcoming game. We typically get the newest protag, so Alear would be next up in line.

It'd basically be like how Awakening came out in 2012, and Smash 4's production started in early 2012, but Chrom was still on the plan before being replaced by Robin so an Awakening character was always going to happen anyway.

This is part of why I feel like it's potentially possible for us to get Alear in the base game and whoever the next protag is in DLC, sort of like Robin and Corrin in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'd be fine if Marth just takes his Engage move as a Final Smash. With how cinematic and detailed Final Smashes have become lately, the generic Critical Hit animation kinda sticks out
Still, Marth/Lucina's critical hit with Smash Ball is the strongest final smash out of all fighters. Kill confirm at 0% and longest horizontal range

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well, if a new Smash is coming out in 2026 or 2027 since that'd be a year or two past the release of the Switch 2 as every game except 64 has done, then I feel like it makes sense for the pre-production plan to have happened last year and then two or so years of development (I think the longest dev time Smash has had is nearly three years), so that means the pre-production plan would happen when Engage is still recent enough to not worry about competition from an upcoming game. We typically get the newest protag, so Alear would be next up in line.

This is part of why I feel like it's potentially possible for us to get Alear in the base game and whoever the next protag is in DLC, sort of like Robin and Corrin in Smash 4.
I think this is not accounting for the fact that Sakurai's current project didn't have the team assembled to start actual development until Apr 22. I find it unlikely that project would have been far enough along only 1 yr or 1yr and some change into development for Sakurai to start working on pre-production for Smash 6.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The argument was that it was a special case because it was decided on before Three Houses released, which is a rare situation in Smash. It was also a unique situation because he had to play the game itself in secret, where not even fellow employees could see.

For what it's worth I already conceded that FE just got lucky with the release dates and that there wasn't a dedicated "New FE placeholder" slot chosen in advance, so you don't have to keep bringing how it "isn't actually special" multiple times in you post, I heard you the first time. My point of contention is that the "Sakurai needs to watch his words because they get taken out of context" thing stems from how everyone on social media jumped to the conclusion that anything he said related to Smash. Byleth wasn't special in that regard because Sakurai just doesn't discuss fighters before their official reveal, but they were special because Sakurai had to hide the gameplay from Nintendo employees as well; Usually, I'd imagine he'd be able to discuss games with employees because most of the time he plays games that are officially released

But eh, I already admitted that there isn't a special FE reserve slot in the base game, so this debate probably won't go anywhere but in circles. Let's just drop it here :drshrug:
Right. I misunderstood you meant a secret from employees too. That's a very big deal and I'm thinking of why that could be. Leakers, maybe?

We're on the same page, yeah~

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dunno if Gullveig would be a popular choice anymore.

When all we had was her design people loved her (for very obvious and base reasons). When we actually learned about her, people quickly turned. Her story and writing are actively messy and confusing. It makes Fates look good by comparison.

Veronica at least gets more popular the more she shows up.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
If the next Smash game ever decides to add in licensed music, which it probably won't, it'd be pretty wild if they could use songs like Way To Fall (Metal Gear Solid 3), The Man Who Sold The World or even Nuclear (Metal Gear Solid V).
How about Happy Together? or the Wendy Koopa cover of Girls Wanna Have Fun from the SMB3 cartoon? (The latter is more of a joke pick)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Interesting you say that, because I feel that if Sakurai's current project is not Smash then Alear's chances are very thin. Because Sakurai's current project was probably not close to being done when Engage came out in Jan 23, so if Smash is put off until after his current job, that likely pushes the project plan quite far after Engage's release. And also pushes Smash way far away from Engage's timeframe of actual marketing relevance.
Adding to this, if Sakurai isn't working on Smash for his super special secret project, the likelihood of a new Fire Emblem character is actually higher. Sakurai's current project is slated to be revealed "soon," so it's probably close to completion. In that case, the next Smash game's roster should be settled around now (Though that's imprecise; It might not be set until early 2025, or alternatively, it might have been drafted up already). In that case, we'll most likely see some early Switch 2 characters, like how Brawl had Ike and Lucario and 4 had Robin, Greninja, and Palutena (Technically her redesign debuted in Brawl, but let's be real, she's an Uprising character).

Furthermore, Sakurai expressed regret about how there wasn't enough time to plan for ARMS and XC2 in the base game; If he's not working on Smash right now, I'm quite certain he'd want to avoid repeating that - Especially since, again, Smash usually has characters from recent releases on the current systems. Given the usual 2-year release cycle for Fire Emblem, we're very likely to see a new Fire Emblem for the Switch 2's launch year, if not a Day One release; Given Fire Emblem's rotating cast, that lines up quite well with the Smash window.

For what it's worth, we're most likely getting MP4 and a new Mario in 2025 too, but since those games have consistent main characters, they're less likely to have a new fighter to cover a recent release. There's also the matter of Pokemon, since Z-A is revisiting Kalos and a Gen X game would have to come later. If the design drafts are ready I'm quite certain they'll reserve a Gen X slot like usual, but that depends on how far along that game is; It could come out in 2026 in time for a 2026/2027 Smash release, but there's also the chance Gen X would be too late in the pipeline to have the concept art ready. Xenoblade games also have rotating casts and seem to release about 2-3 years apart, not counting DLC, so we might see a new Xenoblade in 2025; Still, I'm not sure if it's as consistent a pattern as Fire Emblem, so it's a bit harder to predict
Right. I misunderstood you meant a secret from employees too. That's a very big deal and I'm thinking of why that could be. Leakers, maybe?

We're on the same page, yeah~
Probably, yeah. It was a mid-development ROM, so nobody beyond the Three Houses devs were supposed to see it. Same way Sakurai couldn't just blab about Smash development secrets to the Zelda devs or the Luigi's Mansion devs; They weren't in on the development, so they weren't supposed to see anything about the game that wasn't officially revealed

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think this is not accounting for the fact that Sakurai's current project didn't have the team assembled to start actual development until Apr 22. I find it unlikely that project would have been far enough along only 1 yr or 1yr and some change into development for Sakurai to start working on pre-production for Smash 6.
That's possible, but it depends on what kind of project it is, because they still found time to do new Spirit Events and fix the GSP glitch. Plus we're talking about pre-production where Sakurai makes his project plan and likely plans out some moveset stuff being last year rather than full on production with the full force of the team, meaning full on production would likely start sometime this year after his late 2021/early 2022 project has been in development for about two years.

I think it would be odd for pre-production on Smash to have not even STARTED yet, especially after Sakurai's video mentioned something about overlap with projects lol

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Still, Marth/Lucina's critical hit with Smash Ball is the strongest final smash out of all fighters. Kill confirm at 0% and longest horizontal range
Bro I don't care if it teleports you to the blastzone directly, it is way lamer than what he does in FE Engage and it's even more lame looking on Lucina where it's not even her original move.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know who else is benefitting from this timing? A certain series that got a game a couple of months before the project plan deadline AND got another game two years after. :bowsette:
If I may throw her hat/helmet into the mix here, Nintendo seems fairly keen on pushing Mona almost as much as Ashley ever since Gold came out in 2018, especially over there.

Like, she's definitely getting pushed as the 'Princess Peach' to Wario's 'Mario by them...
Mona_Gold.png

TFW you recognize that Ashley is the only character that makes sense for a second Warioware rep but also you don't care about Ashley in the slightest compared to the rest of the cast
Ngl, I think THIS pretty much sums up my feelings towards Ashley in Smash (and possibly the character in general). Like, she's most likely the next option for a playable Wario rep, but I'm more invested in Mona, so...

Ivander

Smash Legend
I dunno if Gullveig would be a popular choice anymore.

When all we had was her design people loved her (for very obvious and base reasons). When we actually learned about her, people quickly turned. Her story and writing are actively messy and confusing. It makes Fates look good by comparison.

Veronica at least gets more popular the more she shows up.
I hardly saw people turn against her when they learned that she was Seidr who started losing herself after she was forced to put down Heidr. and were pretty okay with her being a tragic villain.

If anything, the thing that just got on people's nerve was how forced the romance between Seidr(and thus Kvasir and Gullveig) and the Summoner was...especially that scene which literally amounted to a nothing burger because it felt like halfway, the story might have changed direction or something. To many people, it really felt too much like an author trying to do a romance between their OC and the character, which really doesn't work well when the OC is a mute Self-insert(because let's be honest, if it was Manga Kiran, people would understand why they'd fall so fast for the lovable dork).
The story definitely had alot of issues, but Gullveig's(and Kvasir and Seidr's) tragic nature was one of the things I've seen most people say was one of the better things about the Book, much like how Fates has potential with it's background and story, it was just written and done very poorly.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Furthermore, Sakurai expressed regret about how there wasn't enough time to plan for ARMS and XC2 in the base game; If he's not working on Smash right now, I'm quite certain he'd want to avoid repeating that - Especially since, again, Smash usually has characters from recent releases on the current systems. Given the usual 2-year release cycle for Fire Emblem, we're very likely to see a new Fire Emblem for the Switch 2's launch year, if not a Day One release; Given Fire Emblem's rotating cast, that lines up quite well with the Smash window.
Correction. It's not that there "wasn't enough time". It was that timing of releases made it impossible because they were non-factors when the project plan was being drafted.

Poor timing =/= not enough time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hope the next game changes Marth's original taunt from "Keep your eyes open!" back to "Everyone, watch me!" to make it more accurate to what he's saying in Japanese.
Honestly I completely disagree. The localized version gets the connotation of what he was saying in Japanese across much better than a direct translation. The original meaning of the line was less "Marth puts himself at the center of attention" and more "Marth is rallying his troops to keep their eyes forward, since he's leading the charge." So "Keep your eyes open!" gets this across much better than a direct translation after years and years of Awkward Zombie-esque fandom mischaracterization stemming from the literal meaning of the Japanese line out of context.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Adding to this, if Sakurai isn't working on Smash for his super special secret project, the likelihood of a new Fire Emblem character is actually higher. Sakurai's current project is slated to be revealed "soon," so it's probably close to completion. In that case, the next Smash game's roster should be settled around now (Though that's imprecise; It might not be set until early 2025, or alternatively, it might have been drafted up already). In that case, we'll most likely see some early Switch 2 characters, like how Brawl had Ike and Lucario and 4 had Robin, Greninja, and Palutena (Technically her redesign debuted in Brawl, but let's be real, she's an Uprising character).

For what it's worth, we're most likely getting MP4 and a new Mario in 2025 too, but since those games have consistent main characters, they're less likely to have a new fighter to cover a recent release. There's also the matter of Pokemon, since Z-A is revisiting Kalos and a Gen X game would have to come later. If the design drafts are ready I'm quite certain they'll reserve a Gen X slot like usual, but that depends on how far along that game is; It could come out in 2026 in time for a 2026/2027 Smash release, but there's also the chance Gen X would be too late in the pipeline to have the concept art ready. Xenoblade games also have rotating casts and seem to release about 2-3 years apart, not counting DLC, so we might see a new Xenoblade in 2025; Still, I'm not sure if it's as consistent a pattern as Fire Emblem, so it's a bit harder to predict
Well, if we're talking about a hypothetical FE character even newer than Alear, then it's tricky. It's pretty safe to say something FE is cooking for the Switch 2, but probably not done yet and definitely not releasing until at least mid/late 2025, so if the Smash project plan was done, say, this year, then I doubt a character from said game would be able to make it in. In this scenario of the project plan being this year, it seems most likely to me that there is no recent FE newcomer in base game.
For Switch 2 characters in general, though, the chances are much higher if the project plan is not until later this year or next year.
Lastly, just keep in mind that, based on what Sakurai has said about Robin, Corrin, and Byleth, they probably won't have any kind of mandate to include a recent FE character, and the timing is just one factor of many. FE's timeline has had a fair chunk of luck in lining up a lot, although some of that luck is made by its frequent and consistent release schedule.

As for the ARMS/XBC2 situation for base Ult, that kind of thing is unavoidably going to happen every time pretty much. Simply because there are always games releasing between the roster cutoff point and the end of development, and any scenarios of spots being held for characters from recent games, like Incineroar's spot, have been stated to be atypical cases. They know that, whatever the chosen timeline is, there's going to be candidates that have bad timing. We saw the ARMS/XBC2 situation play out just fine thru DLC, though, so idk if Sakurai really regrets anything about that situation at this point.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Honestly I completely disagree. The localized version gets the connotation of what he was saying in Japanese across much better than a direct translation. The original meaning of the line was less "Marth puts himself at the center of attention" and more "Marth is rallying his troops to keep their eyes forward, since he's leading the charge." So "Keep your eyes open!" gets this across much better than a direct translation after years and years of Awkward Zombie-esque fandom mischaracterization stemming from the literal meaning of the Japanese line out of context.
Well, I guess you could probably mix the two and it could probably be something like "Everyone, keep your eyes open!"

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, I guess you could probably mix the two and it could probably be something like "Everyone, keep your eyes open!"
The "Everyone" part really isn't needed. The point still gets across without it.

Maybe if taunts are longer again, I could see it, but it's really not needed.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Here's a question, what would you like to see from the next smash in terms of mechanics? Could be huge sweeping changes or just small tweaks, want to hear about what people want out of the gameplay after playing Ultimate for many years
I kinda want them to bring back perfect shielding to reflect projectiles. For giggles

Another thing I want to see is Negative Penalty from Guilty Gear Strive. In Strive, each character has a Tension Gauge, which is the game's super meter. If a player plays too defensively (e.g. turtling, running away from the opponent, refusing to attack for long periods of time), then the Negative Penalty is incurred, lowering the Tension Gauge and making it harder to fill for 20 seconds after.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If the next Smash game ever decides to add in licensed music, which it probably won't, it'd be pretty wild if they could use songs like Way To Fall (Metal Gear Solid 3), The Man Who Sold The World or even Nuclear (Metal Gear Solid V).
Well this feels absent from the Sonic list, endless posibilities sung by the guy from bowling for soup.

For some reason i find the idea of Ed sheerans "celestial" being in smash funny.

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question, what would you like to see from the next smash in terms of mechanics? Could be huge sweeping changes or just small tweaks, want to hear about what people want out of the gameplay after playing Ultimate for many years
i know this could be seen as controversial due to it being a massive change, but if the next smash is a reboot, id love to see it take a platform/arena fighter approach. if bamco helps develop it again, they could take a lot of inspiration from sparking zero while still keeping it a platform fighter. i do imagine that everything would need to be reworked though

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I've said this before, but I still think it'd be pretty cool if the music direction for the next game took a switch to primarily rock and jazz-funk music.

Maybe even, as unlikely as it sounds, some 90s/early 2000s-style dance-pop music.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Correction. It's not that there "wasn't enough time". It was that timing of releases made it impossible because they were non-factors when the project plan was being drafted.

Poor timing =/= not enough time.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. Less "not enough time" and more "was drafted too soon to add them." Sakurai's still said he wanted to add them if he knew about them, but I made it sound less like that and more like they were being worked on but didn't have enough time before launch

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. Less "not enough time" and more "was drafted too soon to add them." Sakurai's still said he wanted to add them if he knew about them, but I made it sound less like that and more like they were being worked on but didn't have enough time before launch
Sakurai actually never said that.

He merely said it was a "strange omission" to not have fighters from those two titles. And it was a follow-up to him saying the Inklings were probably seen as a given for inclusion.

Which....when you factor in the speculation scene early on, yeah, an ARMS character and a Xenoblade 2 character were outright expected just like Inkling and a Sun/Moon Pokémon. So to not have them would be conspicuous with the explanation being the games came much too late for consideration.

And given how we got :ultminmin and :ultpyra: :ultmythra: as DLC later, that was very much his way to "rectify" those omissions.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sakurai actually never said that.

He merely said it was a "strange omission" to not have fighters from those two titles. And it was a follow-up to him saying the Inklings were probably seen as a given for inclusion.

Which....when you factor in the speculation scene early on, yeah, an ARMS character and a Xenoblade 2 character were outright expected just like Inkling and a Sun/Moon Pokémon.
Ah, so it wasn't a hard confirmation that we would've gotten ARMS and XC2. Given that we later got Min Min and Pyra, it's likely that Sakurai would've added them in base had the roster been settled later, but not guaranteed

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Guys, I just made a whole poll showing a bunch of super wanted first party characters.
No you didn't. Because you didn't include any non-1P characters for comparison.

You went to a bunch of franchise-specific fan communities, asked them to click their favorite character, then try to pass off a few hundred votes as proof of "massive fan demand".

We aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel, you just have particular tastes.
Show me a poll where you went to a Halo community, Monster Hunter community or Fortnite community and ask them to vote for Master Chief, Palico or Jonesy and we'll see whose tastes are particular.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No you didn't. Because you didn't include any non-1P characters for comparison.

You went to a bunch of franchise-specific fan communities, asked them to click their favorite character, then try to pass off a few hundred votes as proof of "massive fan demand".

Show me a poll where you went to a Halo community, Monster Hunter community or Fortnite community and ask them to vote for Master Chief, Palico or Jonesy and we'll see whose tastes are particular.
Hey. I'm working on that part next.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
I find it fascinating that Smash Ultimate lasted long enough that it kinda covers three generations of Pokemon
I can only imagine the hell that will be deciding new Poké Ball summons and music post-Sun/Moon (not post Gen 7 in general as there's also ULTRA Sun/Moon to factor).

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
A little off topic so apologies for that but I've been thinking about this since the other day:

So, I've never been an Urban Champion supporter but the conversation a few pages back, started by smashkirby smashkirby got me thinking, and before I realized, I was actually trying to work out a move set that I think would fit the guy.

So, here's that move set I guess, for anyone that feels like giving it a read.
Also, a rough doodle to accompany said move set. (Very rough and doesn't cover everything as I didn't have time when I started and when I came back to it today, I got lazy. :drshrug:)

I wanted a to go for a retro, but not entirely retro look if that makes sense? Rather than referencing his own game art, I used his sprite and Balloon Fighter. I was thinking that he could maybe be an older teenager or young adult. I was also trying to aim for a look that could pass him off as the Ballon Fighter's son or nephew or something. Odd direction I know, but it just felt like it worked to me idk.
urbanchamp.png
Forgive the cluttered labels, I should have spaced them and the doodles better. I wanted Champ (I will be referring to him as such from here on,) to have pretty basic moves. I feel like he ought to be simple and straight forward, so he doesn't have any moves that are too crazy or flashy for the most part.

He is just a guy that gets into street fights (albeit limited to punching) with little else to Urban Champion as a game, so I think keeping things simple works for him. I mostly aimed for what could be considered a sort of middle ground between :ultmario:and:ultlittlemac:

Input

Move Name

Description

Neutral Attack

Jab & Straight

A short jab followed by a straight punch. Based on his sprite.

Forward Tilt

Body Blow

A quick but strong body blow. Poor range but can be combo-ed into from Neutral Attack.

Up Tilt

Backhand Sweep

An overhead, backhand swing. Think Shaggy Up Tilt if you've played Multiversus.

Down Tilt

Crouch Jab & Straight

The same as his Neutral Attack but done while crouched. Useful for hitting small characters and can still be linked into other attacks like F-Tilt.

Dash Attack

Running Swing

This one is pretty much the exact same thing as Little Mac and Mii Gunner's.

Forward Smash

Hook Punch

A heavy hook punch that has Champ step forward a bit. Partly inspired by Luke's Stand HP in Street Fighter 6.

Up Smash

Uppercut

A strong uppercut that springs up from a crouching position. A classic/standard fighting game move.

Down Smash

Down Swing

Somewhat similar to his Dash Attack. Champ rears back before delivering a punch straight down, knocking opponents into the ground. Or spiking them at the ledge.

OR sending them down a manhole on the Urban Champion stage that would accompany his inclusion.

Neutral Air

Double Knee Splash

An airborne double-knee attack. It's functionally a body splash but with a focus on the knees for the posing.

Alternatively, I could see him pulling off a classic s*x kick N-Air.

Forward Air

Air Hook

A semi-underhand, hook punch with his right. Think of Doc F-Air but with his fist's arc coming from below instead of an overhead strike.

Back Air

Turn Back Punch

Champ twists around while swing his arm. Similar to Mac's Back Air.

Up Air

Swiping Upper

A sweeping uppercut performed overhead.

My doodle kind of looks like a DP but that wasn't the intent. If you've played Multiversus, think more along the lines of Shaggy's Up Air.

Down Air

Hammer Fist

Champ brings both fists together for a hammering strike. Similar to Diddy or Mii Brawler's D-Air attacks.

Grab

He grabs you. Nothing special here.

Pummel

Headbutt

Headbutts you like Mario's own pummel.

Forward Throw

Straight Slugger

Holds opponents by the collar before slugging them in the face to launch them away.

Back Throw

Shoulder Throw

Closely resembles Terry's Buster Throw.

Up Throw

Lift Upper

Holds opponents by the collar before launching them with a quick uppercut.

Down Throw

Pin Pummel

Champ pins the opponent to the ground before delivering a barrage of quick punches, the last hit launching them slightly. This one's for damage, not for KO's. Partly inspired by attacks used by both Sean and Luke in the Street Fighter series.

Neutral Special

Tumble Punch
--------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------

A strong wind-up punch that sends foes into a tumbling state on hit. (Think of the sort of cartoon wind-up punch you'd see from a character like Popeye.)

When used on the ground, this will send foes tumbling backward along the ground rather than launching them outright.

This move is at its strongest when used on stages with walk-offs as it will send opponents tumbling right into the blast zone if used close enough. (Mimicking how you beat opponents in Urban Champion.)

On more standard stages like FD, BF, etc. opponents will roll off the side of the stage ledge, exiting the tumble state but setting them up for potential edge guard opportunities.

If the opponent hits a wall, a wall splat will occur, briefly leaving them vulnerable for a possible follow up.

While in the tumble state, opponents will crash into other opponents, dealing damage to them. They will also break any destructible terrain they collide with (like the blocks on Green Greens, etc.)

The amount of time opponents spend in the tumbling state will increase the higher their damage is; however, the speed of the tumble is much faster than that of the original Urban Champion (instead using Smash's existing tumble parameters as a base).

The speed varies based on percent, being comparable to that of being launched (though again with only one set direction.)

The change in speed is to minimize the time opponents spend in state of helplessness, quickly returning control to the player.

Side Special

Champ Charge
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An armored shoulder tackle.

A short distance burst option with light armor properties, allowing Urban Champ to power through weaker hits and most projectiles.

The armor's damage threshold is 15%, meaning it will beat out most tilts and aerials but loses out to charged smash attacks and strong hits from naturally heavy hitters like Ganondorf, Dedede and K. Rool. (ex. Dash attack + some aerials for those mentioned.)

Up Special

Jump Upper
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A simple but effective, jumping uppercut.

Most similar to Dr. Mario's Super Jump Punch but with a little less power and slightly more vertical distance than horizontal.

Down Special

Heads Up!!

(Here's the one move in his kit that makes things a bit more weird/unpredictable: a non-traditional projectile from above.)

A time lapse special that spawns an item in the air.

Upon use, a marker appears high in the air directly above Urban Champ. After a short period (probably 5 or so seconds,) an item will spawn in the air where the marker was placed. The item then falls straight down, dealing damage to anyone standing below it (including Urban Champ himself.)

The item that spawns is random, with each item dealing different amounts of damage, knockback, and potentially having other properties.

The most common item spawned, is a flowerpot like the ones dropped in Urban Champion. The possible items are as follows:
Most Common

Flowerpot (Urban Champion): 12% damage

Common

Decorative Pot/Jar (Zelda series): 12% damage

The appearance of the pot can vary too, with a handful of designs pulled from different Zelda games.

Upon breaking, instead of having been empty, there's a chance that the player hit will collect a Heart or some Rupees. The Rupees don't do anything and are just there as another fun reference, but the Heart will heal you for 5% of the damage you just took.

Jar (Kid Icarus): 12% damage

These were all over the Underworld in the original Kid Icarus.

Sunflower Vase (Starfy): 12% damage

Vase of Roses (Starfy): 12% damage

Tea Kettle (Starfy): 12% damage

Has the added benefit of not immediately breaking allowing players to use it as a throwing item.

Coffee Mug (Chibi-Robo!): 8% damage

Has a picture of Drake Redcrest on it.

Tin Can (Hogan's Alley): 5%

Not very strong but it can be thrown too. No explosion like Duck Hunt's though.

Uncommon

Painting (Framed)
: 14% damage

Framed paintings all come in the same size, but they can depict artwork referencing a variety of games including Super Mario 64, Luigi's Mansion, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and more.

Painting (Canvas): 14% damage

The possible canvases all come in one size, but they can depict artwork referencing a variety of games including Art Academy, the Kirby series and more.

Potted Piranha Plant (Mario series): 12% damage. Rather than breaking. a small Piranha Plant will pop outand bite at players. It can be easily defeated or will disappear on its own after a bit.
(Not to be confused with our playable plant :ultpiranha:)

Goomba's Shoe (Mario series): 12% damage. May or may not contain a Goomba.

Horned Statuette (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess): 25% damage

Shouldn't this be back at the Temple of Time?

Rocky (Kirby series): 25% damage.

Drops like a rock.

Kirby can suck him up if he's in the match, but he won't get any additional Stone abilities. Otherwise, he'll walk around for a little bit before disappearing.

Telephone (Earthbound): 15% damage

You rang? Oh, it's for Ness.

Jar (Kid Icarus): 12% damage

Same kind as before, but this one had a Shemum hiding inside!

1729740827672.png

Block (Stack Up): 6% damage. Throwable.

Comes in several colors.

Bowling Ball (Animal Crossing series, because taken off Villager. Could double as a Wii Sports item too technically.): 17% damage (just like a clean hit from Villager's F-Smash.)

Pitfall (Animal Crossing series): deals 18% damage.

Behaves as though it were dropped so it cannot be caught or picked up, instead burying opponents immediately or laying a pitfall upon contact with the ground.

Telly Vision (Chibi-Robo!): 20% damage

Telly will drop onto the stage dazed. After shaking it off, he'll take flight and fly off screen.

Rare

Bob-omb (Mario series): 30.6% damage.

Behaves as though it were spawned like in Sudden Death, though it can be caught with proper timing.

Thwomp(Mario series): 30% damage

Artsy Ghost (Mother 3): 14% damage

Looks like a regular painting at first glance, but it'll levitate and fly towards players after landing so watch out! (Can be dispatched with a few hits.)

Yellow Wollywog (Pikmin series): 30% damage

It'll target the closest player and try jumping again after landing so try to take it out quickly!

Block Stack (Stack Up): 30% damage. Attack the stack to knock it over and add several throwable blocks into the mix.

You should let R.O.B. handle these.

TV + NES/Famicom: A CRT television with an NES (or Famicom) sitting on top.

Deals a whopping 35% in damage. (CRTs are heavy.)

The screen also has a chance of displaying one of the following games, each with a 2.5% chance of appearing.

• Urban Champion
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Dr. Mario
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II
  • Metroid
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Mother (Uses a Famicom)
  • Fire Emblem (Uses a Famicom)
  • Kid Icarus
  • Wario's Woods
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Duck Hunt
  • Ice Climber
  • Balloon Fight
  • Excitebike
  • Gyromite
  • Stack Up
  • Hogan's Alley
  • Wild Gunman
  • Mach Rider
  • Devil World
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Wrecking Crew
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Famicom)
  • FDC: The Missing Heir (Famicom)
  • FDC: The Girl Who Stands Behind (Famicom)
  • Shin Onigashima (Famicom)
  • Yuyuki (Famicom)
  • Gumshoe
  • Startropics
  • Startropics II

Super Rare

Elephant Mario (+ the others too maybe?): 35% damage.

Nothing beats a ground pound.

1729741513044.png

Fat Guy (Yoshi series): 35% damage. After landing he'll wander around for a bit, dealing contact damage. He can be KO'd but it'll take a few hits.

I'd like one large Shy Guy please.

1729741626232.png

Armos (Zelda series): 30% damage.

After landing the Armos will remain dormant and disappear if you leave it alone. Get too close and it'll spring to life, hopping around to chase after players. As you might expect, Armos, is in fact, armored so be careful when engaging with it.

Beamos (Zelda series): 30% damage

After landing Beamos will fire a laser at the closest player. It'll disappear on its own after a little while, but you can take it out in a single strike if you aim for the eye.

Metroid Capsule (Super Metroid): 30% damage

A baby Metroid captured in a capsule, similar to the one Ridley carries off in the opening of Super Metroid.

Upon landing, the capsule will remain on stage for a short while before disappearing. Sometimes the glass will crack only to disappear anyway, however, there is also a chance that the glass fully breaks, freeing the baby Metroid who will feed on any players it can manage to latch onto.

Moundo (Kirby series): 35% damage

Just like Rocky.

TV + SNES: 35% damage.

A CRT television with a Super Nintendo sitting on top.

The screen also has a chance of displaying one of the following games, each with a 5% chance.
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Mario Paint
  • DKC
  • DKC 2
  • DKC 3
  • A Link to the Past
  • Super Metroid
  • Kirby Superstar
  • Star Fox
  • F-Zero
  • Mother 2/Earthbound
  • FE: Mystery of the Emblem
  • FE: Genealogy of the Holy War
  • FE: Thracia 776
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Pilotwings
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Battle Clash

Ultra Rare

Mad Piano (Super Mario 64): Deals 40% damage on impact and will angrily hop upon landing, dealing another 8-20% if all hits connect, disappearing after it's done.

Doorframe – In addition to the damage dealt upon landing, the doorknob will rattle, and the door will swing open shorty after (damaging those in the way and) revealing a character cameo. Some examples:
  • Luigi nervously looking around with his flashlight, referencing Luigi's Mansion.
  • Villager walking through the door and walking around for a bit placing a furniture item or two in the background before walking back through the door, closing it behind him
  • DK swings the door open and takes a peek will still holding the doorknob. He then slams it shut again.
  • A regular Mii walks through the door and wanders around the stage background briefly before waving goodbye and disappearing.
  • Isabelle will appear with a surprised expression. She'll then walk in and wander the stage background for a brief period, leaving fruit as a callback to her old Assist Trophy role.

TV + N64: A CRT television with a Nintendo 64 sitting on top. Has a 5% chance of appearing. The screen also has a chance of displaying one of the following games, each with a 5% chance.
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Super Mario 64
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Paper Mario
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • Star Fox 64
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Pokemon Snap
  • F-Zero X
  • Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Forest)
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Wave Race 64
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • Excitebike 64
  • Sin & Punishment
TV + GCN: 30% damage.

A CRT television with a Nintendo Gamecube sitting on top.

The screen also has a chance of displaying one of the following games, each with a 3.03% chance.
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Paper Mario: TTYD
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Super Mario Strikers
  • Mario Party 4
  • DK Jungle Beat
  • The Wind Waker
  • Twilight Princess
  • Four Swords Adventures
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Kirby's Air Ride
  • Star Fox Adventures
  • Star Fox Assault
  • Pokemon Colosseum
  • Pokemon XD
  • Pokemon Channel
  • F-Zero GX
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • Wario World
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Pikmin
  • Pikmin 2
  • Animal Crossing
  • Chibi-Robo!
  • 1080 Avalanche
  • Wave Race: Blue Storm
  • Custom Robo
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Doshin the Giant
  • Giftpia
TV + Wii: 5% chance. 30% damage.

A CRT television with a Nintendo Wii sitting on top.

The screen also has a chance of displaying one of the following games, each with a 3.03% chance.
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Mario Strikers Charged
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Link's Crossbow Training
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Kirby's Return to Dreamland
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Pokemon Battle Revolution
  • PokePark: Pikachu's Adventure
  • PokePark 2: Wonders Beyond
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  • Wario Land: Shake It!
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever
  • Animal Crossing: City Folk
  • Wii Fit
  • Punch-Out!! (Wii)
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Sports Resort
  • Wii Party
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
  • Excite Truck
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing
  • Endless Ocean
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree

No Wii U or Switch because, A. I got tired of writing this, B. This is way too long as it is, and C. HDTVs were common by the time of the Wii U. The Wii was the last one that made sense to pair with a CRT imo, since a lot of people still had them.

0% chance: ROADO ROLLA DA, WRRRYYYY

Yes, Jojo's reference and yes, this move was heavily inspired by Peacock's Shadow of Impending Doom from Skullgirls.

Some extra third-party references assuming they'd be allowed:
  • Tetris Block: Falling blocks for the item spawn and fall move.
  • Door: Zombie (Resident Evil): "Look out it's a monster!" Jill "Sandwich" Valentine
  • Door: Zombie (Minecraft)
  • TV: Persona 4
  • Moai (Gradius)
  • Tenraiha (Darkstalkers/Vampire) – One of Hsien Ko/Lei Lei's supers. I'm mostly referring to the initial hit utilizing an iron weight with a face drawn on it, however, if made as one of the rarer spawns, perhaps you could still include the barrage of spike balls as well.
Is this all way too much work for one move realistically? Absolutely. But I liked the idea and got carried away thinking of all the possibilities given how perfect a move like this would be for easter eggs and additional cameos.

And one more honorable mention to King Zora from Ocarina of Time who I also thought of including because I thought it'd be funny if he awkwardly scooted over until he fell off the stage after being summoned.

Up Taunt

Winning Pose

Strikes a winning pose like he does in Urban Champion.

Left Taunt

Fighting Pose

Strikes a fighting pose, jabbing at the air and giving a wink towards the camera.

Right Taunt

^

Down Taunt

Nothing to See Here

Whistles with his hands in his pockets and looking away from the camera as though avoiding eye contact. Based on the animation characters take when the police car appears.
No Final Smash as of yet. Still couldn't think of one that I found fitting.

I initially threw around the idea of the patrol car showing up and arresting the other players while Champ got away with pretending to not be involved. I don't think that would fly though.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Smash could add in music from other crossover games (which they probably can't), it be pretty cool if they could add in music from Marvel VS Capcom 2 (Carnival Stage, Clock Tower Stage, Swamp Stage) and Capcom VS SNK 2 (Nebuta, This Is True Love Makin', Stimulation).
They probably can, they just don't because said series aren't relevant to Smash currently, and 3rd party tracks in the Other category are pretty rare. In fact, it might even just be the Electroplankton and Snipperclips tracks.

If we were to get Ruby Heart, SonSon, & Amingo (or even just an MvC stage), we'd probably get all the MvC original tracks and maybe even a bunch of SNK vs. Capcom/SVC Chaos original tracks as well. Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom original tracks are possible too, but I wouldn't hold my breath on those.

In terms of MvC track selection, there is the issue of all the character themes being titled "Theme of [CHARACTER]", which bars us from using any Marvel character themes, and that's a huge loss (though they might could get sneaky and include them in medleys). Capcom character themes would be fair game though, and they have some bangers as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom