• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

To be honest, I wouldn't be too surprised if FF6 got the FF7R treatment.
The game I'd like to get the FF7R treatment is actually FF4. When I played that game about a year ago, I felt that it was a skeleton of a good story that didn't have the proper buildup to make the events satisfying. As a result, the whole thing fell a little flat for me. Adding some extra content to flesh out everything could make it actually amazing, and I don't think it would need to be split into three+ games to do it.

But yeah, all the games between 6 and 9 have a decent chance at getting a big remake like that eventually.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Quick question: how would you guys feel if this was the DLC lineup for Ultimate?
Bonus: Bandana Waddle Dee

Vol. 1 (if it had 6 fighters)
  1. Arle
  2. Hero
  3. Banjo & Kazooie
  4. Pyra / Mythra
  5. Terry
  6. Crash
Vol. 2
  1. Min Min
  2. Dr. Eggman
  3. Sephiroth
  4. Edelgard
  5. Kazuya
  6. Sora
The same-ish?

BWD is better than Plant. Edelgard is basically the same as Byleth. Crash is worse than Steve. Eggman is, mmm, worse than Joker. And Arle is better than...nobody, I guess.

It kinda evens out.

To be honest, I wouldn't be too surprised if FF6 got the FF7R treatment.
That would be both amazing...and annoying.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Quick question: how would you guys feel if this was the DLC lineup for Ultimate?

Bonus: Bandana Waddle Dee

Vol. 1 (if it had 6 fighters)
  1. Arle
  2. Hero
  3. Banjo & Kazooie
  4. Pyra / Mythra
  5. Terry
  6. Crash
Vol. 2
  1. Min Min
  2. Dr. Eggman
  3. Sephiroth
  4. Edelgard
  5. Kazuya
  6. Sora
Hmm...I think I prefer the one we got.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I'll work on getting this, but it's after 6AM and I need sleep for work. If I have time during my shift I'll try and post it sooner.
Ok, well it's not true. When Ultimate launched it sold five million in its first week, and then between September 2020 and November 2020, it sold one million. Which seems fairly standard for a game of its trajectory two years later over the early holiday period.

I'm also not worried because Geno is in that 'inevitable' status I've mentioned more than once before, something I genuinely believe many characters fall into: there are a list of characters that WILL get into Smash EVENTUALLY just due to star power or demand because Smash HAS to cater to these things to stick around as I mentioned already. Any character that has star power or has yet to have their fan demand completely die off/became immortalized in the community after so much time being supported will eventually get into Smash...though obviously, the amount of star power or demand matters.

Also, don't undersell Ultimate for selling what it did just because it was on the Switch. This was only the second year of the consoles life cycle, and if memory serves, the Switch REALLY started selling in the 2019-2020 period and has just kept chugging along for two years. That's how it seemed to me anyway, if I'm wrong that's fine.
Currently the first and fourth best selling Switch games came out within its first two months. Evergreen titles that spend longer on the market will have a better chance, even if the console peaks later. Think about it, the first Zelda on a system always sells better than the second.

The real point is that Ultimate would have sold crazy on just about anything based on premise alone. You don't just bring back all the old characters people have missed playing for years to a game that people screech for at almost every event your company is a part of while ALSO bringing in new characters people have wanted for just as long if not longer and NOT make boatloads of cashola.
Smash will always sell very well but it will be inhibited by the limitations of the install base, which is why you can see the correlation between audience size of the system and units moved of any given Smash game, from Ultimate at the top to Smash 4 Wii U at the bottom, despite having the second most impressive roster.

That's why MK8 can sell around 9 million and MK8D sells 40 million, despite being basically the same game.

Street Fighter 6's new realistic art style sucks ass.

I wanted, like, Alpha 4 with ArcSys-level graphics. This is pretty much the exact OPPOSITE of that.
You can't have expected SF6 going the anime-ish route was at all the likely option, though.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
The game I'd like to get the FF7R treatment is actually FF4. When I played that game about a year ago, I felt that it was a skeleton of a good story that didn't have the proper buildup to make the events satisfying. As a result, the whole thing fell a little flat for me. Adding some extra content to flesh out everything could make it actually amazing, and I don't think it would need to be split into three+ games to do it.

But yeah, all the games between 6 and 9 have a decent chance at getting a big remake like that eventually.
But FF4 has already been re-released more times than probably any other Final Fantasy that isn't 1 or 2, with a full 3D remake being among those releases. And it got a direct sequel to boot. Though honestly, I wouldn't wish the FF7R treatment on anything (Nomura seems to have a ridiculously warped view on what a "remake" even is).

I'm still surprised Puyo Puyo never got anything in Smash.

Tbh, I probably would've preferred Arle as CP1.
I'm honestly kinda neutral on Arle. Can recognize that she's probably deserving, though if we were to get a puzzle loli in Smash, I'd just prefer Lip to be in first. As an aside, I happen to share my birthday with Arle (July 22).

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Ok, well it's not true. When Ultimate launched it sold five million in its first week, and then between September 2020 and November 2020, it sold one million. Which seems fairly standard for a game of its trajectory two years later over the early holiday period.
Doing a might bit of disservice here: 5 million in the launch week, sure, but how about 12 million in it's opening month? You need to give a better scale because, while impressive, doesn't begin to scratch the surface.

Now, why would I bring up something that should make my argument even weaker? Because it actually strengthens it.

2019 would only bring Ultimate to 15 million +, so while it did make more sales with more people buying the game over FP1, the cashflow really came from FP2. But wait, you were being slightly misleading here, because it actually sold another mil within the month of Dec alone. How many of those sales do ya think were parents buying Smash and FP2 so their whiny kids can play as the funny block man and they just waited for Christmas? But wait, there's MORE!

Sora was revealed and released in Oct, but a report from Nov is when we see that Ultimate hit 25 million copies sold. What does that mean? It means, my friend, that it's too damn early for Sora numbers yet. So, am I being told to believe that from Sept 2020 to Nov 2021, it was Sephiroth who got people to buy the game almost as much as it's launch month? The Aegis Girls? Min Min? Kazuya? Get real, dude. If Steve wasn't in that pass, you could MAYBE argue Sephiroth, but facts are that as big as these characters are (which realistically, two of them really just aren't) none of them compare to the blocky boi.

Now, if you are being incredibly pedantic and are arguing "Berr, they didn't sell 12 million copies between Steve's reveal to before Sephiroth's reveal, berr' then sure, you can be correct there. But if you look at an FP that had Banjo, Joker, Hero, the latest FE craze and a fighting game legend only pushed out 3 million copies and then suddenly the next pass pushes it to from 15 million to 25 million before Sora could even be factored in...you'd be a fool to think anyone but Steve brought it there. Remove Steve from the pass, and it would be lucky to hit 5 million. I won't throw in the increase from 25 to 27 mil to Steve because I'm not sure when that update was listed, but it's also not needed to make the point.

I rest my case.

First off, this is actually funny. It's almost as funny as a video that was shown to me where it's Pinocchio doing the 'I have no strings to hold me down' with Geno's head and when he falls he gets the Geno Mii Costume head. I'm going to steal this and put it to great use because I'm pretty sure many Geno fans really feel like this from time to time.

However, you guys seemingly constantly misunderstand me when I refer to this 'inevitable' thing. No, it's not just quoting a meme from a relatively well-written cinema villain: it's looking at how Sakurai gets to what people want, but slowly. The thing with big names with star power is that they will inevitably make it into Smash because Smash has to do so to stay relevant...but long-term fan requests fall into the same boat. Do you think Smash Ultimate would have sold as much if it never brought back the rest of the veterans? What about just never including Ridley, K Rool, Simon or Banjo. Do you think people would have cares as much if you just replaced those with low-requested 1st party characters? If they were replaced with big third party requests, the voices of those who felt like the FPs (especially FP2) flat out ignored them would have been so much worse. Sora was chosen BECAUSE of fan demand...wipe that away and it could have been anything else that would excite the average crowd but piss off long-term fans.

Smash HAS to appeal to both sides. It's an important balance to maintain for the rest of it's relevance. The Geno requests are still here, and they surged so hard during Ultimate it's pretty much impossible to ignore, and that's enough on it's own to have confidence in his eventual inclusion. You couldn't breath freely without someone bringing him up in some way, so acting like all of that is somehow lost of forgotten already is pure naivety. Geno was already heading to Ridley territory for being meme'd before now, and he's already there as the next 'That character will NEVER get in!' meme that people with low IQ will spread around laughing, only to act like they had faith all along when it does happen. It's the nature of this fan base.

Currently the first and fourth best selling Switch games came out within its first two months. Evergreen titles that spend longer on the market will have a better chance, even if the console peaks later. Think about it, the first Zelda on a system always sells better than the second.
That's cool, but the second, third, fifth and sixth didn't though...so who cares about this point really? Also, 1-2-Switch and to a lesser extent ARMS show that being on the market longer isn't the only factor: game has to be worth buying as well.

Smash will always sell very well but it will be inhibited by the limitations of the install base, which is why you can see the correlation between audience size of the system and units moved of any given Smash game, from Ultimate at the top to Smash 4 Wii U at the bottom, despite having the second most impressive roster.

That's why MK8 can sell around 9 million and MK8D sells 40 million, despite being basically the same game.
If Smash 4's whole thing was 'Everyone Was Here!', you would have sold a **** ton more Wii U's, so I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this. I'm not saying you don't have a point, I'm saying it doesn't really do anything against mine. More people playing your system obviously means more people likely to buy games for it, but if no one wants to buy your games because they suck, it doesn't matter how many of your systems collect dust.

I wouldn't honestly call Geno "inevitable". Geno is still a quite irrelevant character from a game that's not even getting a port despite all it's popularity, and he's no main character or a villain. Square will probably want many of their more recognizable characters before Geno too, and we've seen exactly this with Ultimate.

At some point you guys gotta learn to be content with that Mii Gunner costume.
Yeah, you know, like Lightning or Noctis or Terra...wait, didn't we get Cloud over all of those? And then Sephiroth over all of them again? Even though Square wanted Sakurai to choose one of them for Smash 4? Sometimes Sakurai comes in and grabs what he wants, he has that kind of sway.

More importantly, I THOUGHT I saw someone say irrelevant and frankly...I guess we can't learn from every other irrelevant character that has gotten in so far. It's like Smashers have brains that reset after every character with star power gets in, ignoring that the base game and the FP1 did a number on the irrelevant argument after Smash 4 sucker-punched it in the throat.

Someone here even said that he needs a remake to have and chance, and I'm just over here looking at all the new games and remakes Ridley, K Rool, OG Simon, Richter and Banjo are in wondering when I get to play those games.

Stop going back and trying to debate against things that have already been proven to not mean anything anymore. It's fine if you think Geno has little to no chance, but either say it's what you want or how you feel with no evidence, or come up with something better than him being in one game from 1996 because that just doesn't cut it anymore.

Hell, if you tell me 2B is getting in instead, I'd respect that much more than saying he's irrelevant. Saying that Square has really molded Nier into a huge success after the failure of Drakenguard and that 2B is in basically everything ever at this point and that clearly they would want her in Smash is incredibly reasonable and I have nothing against that. I would want her in Smash as well if I was the one making that decision, Geno-bias or not, it's a smart business move. Whether or not that is stronger than the likelihood that Geno placed relatively high in the actual Ballot and what Sakurai would decide is more important or valuable I think is something that can be seriously discussed.

Also no, I won't settle for less. I'll always fight for more.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Doing a might bit of disservice here: 5 million in the launch week, sure, but how about 12 million in it's opening month? You need to give a better scale because, while impressive, doesn't begin to scratch the surface.

Now, why would I bring up something that should make my argument even weaker? Because it actually strengthens it.

2019 would only bring Ultimate to 15 million +, so while it did make more sales with more people buying the game over FP1, the cashflow really came from FP2. But wait, you were being slightly misleading here, because it actually sold another mil within the month of Dec alone. How many of those sales do ya think were parents buying Smash and FP2 so their whiny kids can play as the funny block man and they just waited for Christmas? But wait, there's MORE!

Sora was revealed and released in Oct, but a report from Nov is when we see that Ultimate hit 25 million copies sold. What does that mean? It means, my friend, that it's too damn early for Sora numbers yet. So, am I being told to believe that from Sept 2020 to Nov 2021, it was Sephiroth who got people to buy the game almost as much as it's launch month? The Aegis Girls? Min Min? Kazuya? Get real, dude. If Steve wasn't in that pass, you could MAYBE argue Sephiroth, but facts are that as big as these characters are (which realistically, two of them really just aren't) none of them compare to the blocky boi.

Now, if you are being incredibly pedantic and are arguing "Berr, they didn't sell 12 million copies between Steve's reveal to before Sephiroth's reveal, berr' then sure, you can be correct there. But if you look at an FP that had Banjo, Joker, Hero, the latest FE craze and a fighting game legend only pushed out 3 million copies and then suddenly the next pass pushes it to from 15 million to 25 million before Sora could even be factored in...you'd be a fool to think anyone but Steve brought it there. Remove Steve from the pass, and it would be lucky to hit 5 million. I won't throw in the increase from 25 to 27 mil to Steve because I'm not sure when that update was listed, but it's also not needed to make the point.

I rest my case.
I don't think you know what you're talking about if you're going to post that Ultimate sold 12 million in its opening month and then attribute five million over the course of the fourteen months in question (remember it was over 20 mil in Sept 2020) to Steve, like, first of all, that's not less than half of the first month on the market (which was your original point), and second, that's not more or less in-line with how the Switch's most popular titles sell anyway.

Breath of the Wild shifted ~four million copies in 2021, and that game hasn't received any new content for like four years. These games at the front of the pack just keep selling. The DLC helps, but you're way overstating the impact of a sole character here, whether Steve or Sephiroth or Sora or anyone.

First off, this is actually funny. It's almost as funny as a video that was shown to me where it's Pinocchio doing the 'I have no strings to hold me down' with Geno's head and when he falls he gets the Geno Mii Costume head. I'm going to steal this and put it to great use because I'm pretty sure many Geno fans really feel like this from time to time.
Please proliferate it as much as you like.

However, you guys seemingly constantly misunderstand me when I refer to this 'inevitable' thing. No, it's not just quoting a meme from a relatively well-written cinema villain: it's looking at how Sakurai gets to what people want, but slowly. The thing with big names with star power is that they will inevitably make it into Smash because Smash has to do so to stay relevant...but long-term fan requests fall into the same boat. Do you think Smash Ultimate would have sold as much if it never brought back the rest of the veterans? What about just never including Ridley, K Rool, Simon or Banjo. Do you think people would have cares as much if you just replaced those with low-requested 1st party characters? If they were replaced with big third party requests, the voices of those who felt like the FPs (especially FP2) flat out ignored them would have been so much worse. Sora was chosen BECAUSE of fan demand...wipe that away and it could have been anything else that would excite the average crowd but piss off long-term fans.

Smash HAS to appeal to both sides. It's an important balance to maintain for the rest of it's relevance. The Geno requests are still here, and they surged so hard during Ultimate it's pretty much impossible to ignore, and that's enough on it's own to have confidence in his eventual inclusion. You couldn't breath freely without someone bringing him up in some way, so acting like all of that is somehow lost of forgotten already is pure naivety. Geno was already heading to Ridley territory for being meme'd before now, and he's already there as the next 'That character will NEVER get in!' meme that people with low IQ will spread around laughing, only to act like they had faith all along when it does happen. It's the nature of this fan base.
Yes, I think if you remove any single newcomer or re-added veteran, Ultimate would perform nearly indistinguishably. Success-wise, the importance of a single character isn't actually that important. At least, it hasn't been for a while.

There isn't any one character not already added that is make or break for this series. The series will succeed wildly going forward with whoever they pick, because they've already got the building blocks and recognition. You don't need Master Chief, you don't need Crash, you don't need Geno, you don't need any of them. We didn't need any of the specific newcomers we got this time, other than maybe Inkling. You need some popular newcomers, but those newcomers don't have to be one particular character.

Past that, it's just a bad idea to classify any third-party as inevitable.

That's cool, but the second, third, fifth and sixth didn't though...so who cares about this point really? Also, 1-2-Switch and to a lesser extent ARMS show that being on the market longer isn't the only factor: game has to be worth buying as well.
You seemed to care when you insinuated showing up during the console's peak and not prior to it was the formative factor for sales. If you want to brush off your own arguments, go ahead.

If Smash 4's whole thing was 'Everyone Was Here!', you would have sold a **** ton more Wii U's, so I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this. I'm not saying you don't have a point, I'm saying it doesn't really do anything against mine. More people playing your system obviously means more people likely to buy games for it, but if no one wants to buy your games because they suck, it doesn't matter how many of your systems collect dust.
I hate to break it to you but adding back Snake, ICs and Wolf (the popular ones) would not have sold a **** ton more Wii Us. That's basically just catering to the audience who already bought your product - the hardcore Smash fans.

On the other hand, you have a game that has Cloud, Ryu, Mega Man and Pac-Man, like fifteen other newcomers, and kept most of Brawl's roster, and yet Brawl sold better. And that is simply because of the drastic difference in install bases between the Wii and Wii U.

Hell, an even better example is how the 3DS version sold almost double the Wii U version, despite certainly not being considered the definitive way to play Smash. But a lot more people own a 3DS. Can't blame that one on roster differences.

Yeah, you know, like Lightning or Noctis or Terra...wait, didn't we get Cloud over all of those? And then Sephiroth over all of them again? Even though Square wanted Sakurai to choose one of them for Smash 4? Sometimes Sakurai comes in and grabs what he wants, he has that kind of sway.
Wait, your counterpoint to Diddy saying they opt for recognizable characters is saying how we got Cloud and Sephiroth as our FF characters?

Would you like to maybe think this one over again?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

More importantly, I THOUGHT I saw someone say irrelevant and frankly...I guess we can't learn from every other irrelevant character that has gotten in so far. It's like Smashers have brains that reset after every character with star power gets in, ignoring that the base game and the FP1 did a number on the irrelevant argument after Smash 4 sucker-punched it in the throat.

Someone here even said that he needs a remake to have and chance, and I'm just over here looking at all the new games and remakes Ridley, K Rool, OG Simon, Richter and Banjo are in wondering when I get to play those games.

Stop going back and trying to debate against things that have already been proven to not mean anything anymore. It's fine if you think Geno has little to no chance, but either say it's what you want or how you feel with no evidence, or come up with something better than him being in one game from 1996 because that just doesn't cut it anymore.

Hell, if you tell me 2B is getting in instead, I'd respect that much more than saying he's irrelevant. Saying that Square has really molded Nier into a huge success after the failure of Drakenguard and that 2B is in basically everything ever at this point and that clearly they would want her in Smash is incredibly reasonable and I have nothing against that. I would want her in Smash as well if I was the one making that decision, Geno-bias or not, it's a smart business move. Whether or not that is stronger than the likelihood that Geno placed relatively high in the actual Ballot and what Sakurai would decide is more important or valuable I think is something that can be seriously discussed.

Also no, I won't settle for less. I'll always fight for more.
Cloud and Sephiroth are the biggest namesakes, so they choose them. It's that simple.

Geno is in many ways less relevant than the only character you could've made this claim against, King K.Rool. You simply seem to forget that K.Rool has actual strong fan demand, his games get remakes at every opportunity, the Donkey Kong franchise is huge and on-going, and K.Rool also has a definite future.

You can't compare Geno to K.Rool. Geno is not inevitable, or even one of the most requested characters. There's also Square who has ownership over the character, and they will send in any other character over Geno, there's no profit in them to choose Geno over any other possibility.

You make it seem like Geno is the next K.Rool / Ridley, while in reality that's simply not the case.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is a lie, btw.

Sakurai talked with Nomura in the process of adding Cloud and was asked whether he was fine with him, as he's not from a new game. That's it. Nomura was still enthusiastic about the prospect of Cloud in Smash. Sakurai himself said Terra was also an option, along with some other characters. There's no confirmation of SE ever forcing Sakurai to choose Noctis or Lightning.

Making up stuff to support your argument isn't gonna make Geno more likely.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Cloud and Sephiroth are the biggest namesakes, so they choose them. It's that simple.

Geno is in many ways less relevant than the only character you could've made this claim against, King K.Rool. You simply seem to forget that K.Rool has actual strong fan demand, his games get remakes at every opportunity, the Donkey Kong franchise is huge and on-going, and K.Rool also has a definite future.
This seems like a flawed comparison to me; you act like Geno doesn't have much fan demand when that couldn't be further from the truth, and the games which feature K. Rool are fully owned by Nintendo, whereas Mario RPG's original content is owned by Square-Enix, so of course it would be easier for Nintendo to re-release a game that they fully own.

Admittedly, I don't know how likely it is that Geno will make it in as long as he's a third party character that's part of a first party Nintendo franchise (it seems like a really specific case that isn't likely to crop up elsewhere - it's not like Capcom owns the characters who were created for the Zelda Oracle games, for example), but it seems weird to point to Nintendo's ability to re-release one of their own games as proof that Geno won't make it in.

(I feel like Banjo and Kazooie would be a better comparison, since B-K and Geno are third party characters with close ties to Nintendo who have generally been seen as unlikely due to other characters historically taking priority for their parent companies)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This seems like a flawed comparison to me; you act like Geno doesn't have much fan demand when that couldn't be further from the truth, and the games which feature K. Rool are fully owned by Nintendo, whereas Mario RPG's original content is owned by Square-Enix, so of course it would be easier for Nintendo to re-release a game that they fully own.

Admittedly, I don't know how likely it is that Geno will make it in as long as he's a third party character that's part of a first party Nintendo franchise (it seems like a really specific case that isn't likely to crop up elsewhere - it's not like Capcom owns the characters who were created for the Zelda Oracle games, for example), but it seems weird to point to Nintendo's ability to re-release one of their own games as proof that Geno won't make it in. (I feel like Banjo and Kazooie would be a better comparison, since B-K and Geno are third party characters with close ties to Nintendo who have generally been seen as unlikely due to other characters taking priority for their parent companies)
Fan demand is not the same as massive fan demand. And that's what backed up K.Rool and Banjo.

Super Mario RPG is a cult classic, Donkey Kong Country and Banjo Kazooie are popular at a much bigger overall rate.

Yes Geno has fan demand. Know who also has that? Waluigi. I don't even think Waluigi and Geno are gonna make it if Smash gets a 100 character + roster.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The fact that it took Banjo and K. Rool to be at the absolute top of the ballot to get in is living proof that relevancy actually does truely matter.

The fact is that unlike :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultsora:, Geno most likely just wasn't actually that popular or high up on the ballot to really turn Nintendo or Sakurai's heads. Popular enough to get the nod as a Mii outfit and spirit, yes, but not enough to be made a priority over other bigger candidates. Same thing with characters like Krystal or Isaac, but as stated many times before, Geno has the extra problem of being owned by Square Enix, who still has a whole slew of way more popular characters to choose from.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
SMRPG and BK1's sales are actually rather close. Banjo just has more games than Geno.
Mmmm...

Banjo-Kazooie: 3.65 million
Super Mario RPG: 2.14 million

I'd say Banjo kinda has the upper hand here.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Mmmm...

Banjo-Kazooie: 3.65 million
Super Mario RPG: 2.14 million

I'd say Banjo kinda has the upper hand here.
Banjo: You can't beat me, Geno! I have the High Ground! Guh-huh!

(I'm sorry, it's a slow day at work).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I found several reddit threads about geno fandom and they all have a common... Theme I guess. Basically the geno in smash fanbase is a vocal minority of 90s era gamers whose first real exposure to Final Fantasy styles rpgs or jrpgs in general was Super Mario RPG which in turn led to fond memories of Geno and Mallow and other characters (some of the bosses were pretty cool). And as time has gone on this has ballooned into a strong sense of "c'mon Nintendo it's long overdue!" Obviously this doesn't account for ALL Geno fans as I'm there's plenty who were already into Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior, etc. But it makes sense given smash's release window when compared to SMRPG.

Personally I'm apathetic to his inclusion but I think it's probably likely he'll get in if Square Enix decides to revisit the game seeing as how there's all this talk recently about hd 2d remixes and whatnot.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I found several reddit threads about geno fandom and they all have a common... Theme I guess. Basically the geno in smash fanbase is a vocal minority of 90s era gamers whose first real exposure to Final Fantasy styles rpgs or jrpgs in general was Super Mario RPG which in turn led to fond memories of Geno and Mallow and other characters (some of the bosses were pretty cool). And as time has gone on this has ballooned into a strong sense of "c'mon Nintendo it's long overdue!" Obviously this doesn't account for ALL Geno fans as I'm there's plenty who were already into Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior, etc. But it makes sense given smash's release window when compared to SMRPG.

Personally I'm apathetic to his inclusion but I think it's probably likely he'll get in if Square Enix decides to revisit the game seeing as how there's all this talk recently about hd 2d remixes and whatnot.
I loved Super Mario RPG but I’m pretty indifferent to Geno as a character. I don’t particularly care one way or the other if he makes it in but I’ll be happy for his fans if he does. I will say that, if he does end up getting in at some point, it will have been almost 100% due to his Smash fanbase support. I don’t think there is any other logical reason he should make it in before someone like Lara Croft, Crono, or 2B. My personal most wanted Square-Enix character is Magus from Chrono Trigger with Xemnas as a close second. I’d personally also love to see Raziel but I’m not going to hold my breath on that one.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know, I joked about seeing Terranigma localized for Switch; turns out that might be the case.

Famitsu: More HD-2D Remakes to Come from Square Enix

The big money would be in Chrono Trigger and FFVI getting the treatment (the latter already apparently has the opera scene very much like HD-2D in the Pixel Remaster), though that might not be for a while. Kind of odd that there's a decent chance we'll see Bahamut Lagoon arriving on Switch sooner than something like Super Mario RPG, but here we are.
Y’all gonna be stunned when the next HD-2D game is Super Mario RPG

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With all the remakes Square has been making for the Switch, it's weird they're overlooking the most obvious of obvious of remakes for a Nintendo system, SMRPG. With Paper Mario branching off from it's original Mario RPG purposes, Mario & Luigi RPG not being a thing anymore (sadly), it's a very obvious hole in the market.

So yeah I don't think Nintendo and Square really prioritize the game, and saw it as a one time deal.

Could also explain why it never reached the European shores.
SMRPG and BK1's sales are actually rather close. Banjo just has more games than Geno.
Geno doesn't "have games", Geno, contrary to popular belief by his supporters, isn't a main character in his original game.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Believe it or not SMRPG was overall considered a disappointment in sales. It’s got a legacy now because it’s a damn good game but retroactive memory kicks in and tells us that SMRPG was incredibly successful when in actuality it didn’t do so hot.

A lot of the Mario games fell at the top of most Sales lists for SNES but for a Mario game SMRPG didn’t do very well. It actually below Mario Paint of all things.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Believe it or not SMRPG was overall considered a disappointment in sales. It’s got a legacy now because it’s a damn good game but retroactive memory kicks in and tells us that SMRPG was incredibly successful when in actuality it didn’t do so hot.

A lot of the Mario games fell at the top of most Sales lists for SNES but for a Mario game SMRPG didn’t do very well. It actually below Mario Paint of all things.
I have a feeling the main reason for that is that the N64 was just around the corner by that time. I remember renting Super Mario RPG at the time but most of my attention was on Super Mario 64. I bought another SNES many years later and finally picked up SMRPG and completed it and loved the game. I think that tends to happen with games released so late into a consoles lifespan. I partially blame that for Rogue Galaxy’s lack of success on the PS2.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The N64 could be a reason, but that was the same with Donkey Kong Country 3, and despite not selling as much as the previous two games, it didn't actually bomb.

I think the poor sales attributed to why SMRPG never hit Europe.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
With all the remakes Square has been making for the Switch, it's weird they're overlooking the most obvious of obvious of remakes for a Nintendo system, SMRPG. With Paper Mario branching off from it's original Mario RPG purposes, Mario & Luigi RPG not being a thing anymore (sadly), it's a very obvious hole in the market.

So yeah I don't think Nintendo and Square really prioritize the game, and saw it as a one time deal
Nintendo-Squenix collabs NEVER result in Geno making another appearance outside of the Mii costume. Not even when Square makes another Mario game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nintendo-Squenix collabs NEVER result in Geno making another appearance outside of the Mii costume. Not even when Square makes another Mario game.
Hence I never thought Geno was anywhere likely.

Not only irrelevant and overlooked, also ignored by his owners, no remake in sight, no main character, and has to compete with both Mario characters for a newcomer spot and Square Enix characters...

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hence I never thought Geno was anywhere likely.

Not only irrelevant and overlooked, also ignored by his owners, no main character, no remake in sight, no main character, and has to compete with both Mario characters for a newcomer spot and Square Enix characters...
You said "no main character" twice. Just thought I'd point that out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The N64 could be a reason, but that was the same with Donkey Kong Country 3, and despite not selling as much as the previous two games, it didn't actually bomb.

I think the poor sales attributed to why SMRPG never hit Europe.
From what I can tell, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, and Earthbound never came to Europe either; it seems like all of those games didn't make it to Europe due to other factors, such as having to localize dialogue-heavy games like RPGs for a bunch of different languages. (since it seems rather unlikely that Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 also had poor sales or were games/series that Square didn't prioritize, and it seems spectacularly unlikely that seemingly every single SNES RPG was a massive bomb and yet they kept getting made)

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
From what I can tell, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, and Earthbound never came to Europe either; it seems like it was due to other factors, such as having to localize dialogue-heavy games like RPGs for a bunch of different languages. (since it seems rather unlikely that Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 also had poor sales or were games/series that Square didn't prioritize)
Chrono Trigger actually kinda flopped outside of Japan when it came out. According to Wikipedia, by March 2003 it only sold 290,000 abroad, in comparison to its 2.36 million sales figures in Japan back then.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
From what I can tell, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, and Earthbound never came to Europe either; it seems like all of those games didn't make it to Europe due to other factors, such as having to localize dialogue-heavy games like RPGs for a bunch of different languages. (since it seems rather unlikely that Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 also had poor sales or were games/series that Square didn't prioritize, and it seems spectacularly unlikely that seemingly every single SNES RPG was a massive bomb and yet they kept getting made)
Yeah I know, I'm from Europe, and I was always reminded of this by Smash which also pointed out that Ness originated from a game that never made it to Europe. I love Earthbound though. But am gonna be playing it legally for the first time through the Switch SNES app.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Maybe in the future, I do not say or write that it will definitely happen, but in game series such as F-Zero and Earthbound some of their new games will be released. An example is the Punch-Out series, whose penultimate game was Super Punch-Out which was released on the SNES in 1994 and the next and last one was released on the Wii 15 years later.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be cool to add another Mii or 2 to the next Smash for the added Mii costume opportunities.

Here are some of my ideas:

• Mii Mage
  • Mii Ninja (Shinobi)
  • Mii Archer
  • Mii Dancer
I think Mii Mage is wholly unique while Ninja acts as an alternative to Swordfighter just as Archer does for Gunner and Dancer for Brawler. You could do a bunch of weapon specialists Miis but I feel that's more or less covered by the current Miis like Arthur and Aerith being Mii Swordfighter costumes despite wielding a lance and staff respectively.

While I'm on the topic I'd like to say that it'd be really cool for the updated Nintendo Switch Sports "Miis" to eventually become standardized as personalized avatars. They look great and it'd be quite the new coat of paint for the Mii concept that I feel Nintendo should always keep up to date.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While I'm on the topic I'd like to say that it'd be really cool for the updated Nintendo Switch Sports "Miis" to eventually become standardized as personalized avatars. They look great and it'd be quite the new coat of paint for the Mii concept that I feel Nintendo should always keep up to date.
I can see Sakurai utilising the new Switch Sports avatars as a way to utilize the whole "Mii with Wii sports based moveset" that people initially envisioned for the Mii's back before they where included as the Mii Fighters that we know today for the next Smash. Assuming they keep the Mii Fighters and don't just redesign them to those new avatars

Or at least, taking more advantage of the Wii/Switch series if they end up having some staying power and appearing in more games besides this upcoming game..

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
From what I understand Nintendo will not make any other acquisitions of other companies, especially those that do not have Nintendo DNA. Although Rare has been wholly owned by Microsoft since 2002, before it had a good collaboration with Nintendo, it had given the grandson of the first Donkey Kong his own series, as they made other games for Nintendo. Because of this it does not have the Rare Nintendo DNA? Shouldn't Nintendo take back the Rare? Unless Nintendo not make general acquisitions.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
From what I understand Nintendo will not make any other acquisitions of other companies, especially those that do not have Nintendo DNA. Although Rare has been wholly owned by Microsoft since 2002, before it had a good collaboration with Nintendo, it had given the grandson of the first Donkey Kong his own series, as they made other games for Nintendo. Because of this it does not have the Rare Nintendo DNA? Shouldn't Nintendo take back the Rare? Unless Nintendo not make general acquisitions.
Nintendo might make more acquisitions, they haven't ruled it out. It's just not something the company often does, so if it happens, it probably won't be at all regular, and may be limited to cases where if they don't acquire the studio, they lose them. That's what the case was for Next Level.

There's a lot of speculation as to why Nintendo didn't acquire Rare. However, they can't be bought back. Microsoft fully owns the developer, and past being unlikely to sell them, Nintendo isn't going to bother even trying to buy them back, even if they could. Not the least of which is because the studio is very different from the Rare of the 90s.

Also keep in mind the "Nintendo DNA" statement happened four presidents of Nintendo later than when Rare was sold. It's largely not the same people making the decisions.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Nintendo might make more acquisitions, they haven't ruled it out. It's just not something the company often does, so if it happens, it probably won't be at all regular, and may be limited to cases where if they don't acquire the studio, they lose them. That's what the case was for Next Level.

There's a lot of speculation as to why Nintendo didn't acquire Rare. However, they can't be bought back. Microsoft fully owns the developer, and past being unlikely to sell them, Nintendo isn't going to bother even trying to buy them back, even if they could. Not the least of which is because the studio is very different from the Rare of the 90s.

Also keep in mind the "Nintendo DNA" statement happened four presidents of Nintendo later than when Rare was sold. It's largely not the same people making the decisions.
I wrote this for the same reason as well, because Banjo and Conker made their debut in Diddy Kong Racing, which is a Donkey Kong game series, this makes the Banjo-Kazooie and Conker series spin-off of the Donkey Kong series, but Microsoft owns them.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wrote this for the same reason as well, because Banjo and Conker made their debut in Diddy Kong Racing, which is a Donkey Kong game series, this makes the Banjo-Kazooie and Conker series spin-off of the Donkey Kong series, but Microsoft owns them.
Well, Microsoft can keep Rare for all I care, but why not at least sell the Banjo-Kazooie and Conker franchises back to Nintendo, and have Nintendo purchase the creators of Yooka-Laylee, who were the old staff from Rare afterward? That probably would not be happening, but that would be a good situation for everyone, right?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

As an example, if somebody like Sony or Microsoft tried to buy, say, Intelligent Systems (I know, not at all likely, but I'm trying), than expect Nintendo to react.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
In a sense, yeah. Though I believe both characters, or at least Banjo, were already planned to have their own titles when they were added to DKR.

It boils down to how they divided up the shared properties when Rare was sold off. There is speculation that they also tried to retain the rights to Diddy, who they viewed as their de facto mascot back then. And the character being tied up in litigation may explain his complete absence from Melee, even as a trophy.

As an example, if somebody like Sony or Microsoft tried to buy, say, Intelligent Systems (I know, not at all likely, but I'm trying), than expect Nintendo to react.
Yes, the likes of IS, HAL, Game Freak, etc would be safeguarded by Nintendo. As in, they'd step in if those devs were somehow hypothetically in jeopardy. Maybe Camelot and Grezzo as well. And then the more peripheral or inessential they are to Nintendo, the less likely it seems Nintendo will intercede.
Look at AlphaDream or Cing.

Like, people suggest Nintendo acquire MercurySteam or Platinum, and I can see why they'd want that. But those companies have a much more tenuous relationship with Nintendo than the aforementioned, and it seems unlikely Nintendo would step in to buy them atm.

Though Platinum does finally seem to be looking for buyers.

And of course the landscape of the industry has changed significantly since the days of Nintendo-era Rare, so that comparison isn't so comparable anymore.

What do you guys all think?

Honestly sounds like wishful thinking.
I haven't watched the video, so if the reasoning is just because MK is getting DLC, then yeah, it's possible Smash can get more, but it probably won't. Keep in mind MK8D's DLC is being almost wholesale recycled from Tour. Smash doesn't have that active repository to work with.

Plus Sakurai like just finished telling us we were done.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Keep in mind MK8D's DLC is being almost wholesale recycled from Tour.
Even the tracks that aren't in Tour seem to be using Tour's artstyle as a means of futureproofing them. GBA Sky Garden wasn't in Tour when the DLC was announced, but it's coming real soon. I don't know if they can really do any "futureproofing" like this for Smash except, I dunno, repurposing Hero's moveset onto a character with less licensing issues?

Top Bottom