• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Also, don't forget that many people speculate that Cloud was someone Nintendo had to fight to put into the base game, and that Sephiroth was something they had to do in order for FFVII to have music and spirits.

Now imagine having to do that with four Square-Enix characters from three franchises if that's true.
This literally was baseless speculation. The reason FF had no music in the base game is because FF7’s music rights were Byzantine at the time. Licensing the rights to use songs globally was a hassle. Nintendo and Sakurai even said so themselves in the Sephiroth presentation.

Now that you have an existing contract and deal in place to negotiate from, it’s much easier.
They play nice now, but what's to say they will in the future? What if we get another Konami incident and at least one of the companies burn all of their bridges. What if we have a Square Enix where the relationship breaks down because one side goes in a direction the other doesn't like? What if the consolidation we're seeing with gaming companies causes a shift in the relationship that can't be mended?

The problem with this point is that it's grounded in the present and assumes nothing will majorly shift in the future. No one would've guessed Konami would implode and leave Snake out of luck for Smash 4 back in Brawl, but that happened and we can't pretend it's not a possibility. It's also ignoring that we don't know how the negotiations all went for every single character. There could've been more disagreements, stresses, and other issues that we may not know about that could get worse with time.

At the end of the day there's always going to be risks with working with an outside party and that can affect the possibility of keeping every character, and that's ignoring all of the developmental headaches with keeping and balancing nearly 100 characters. Money does talk, but even it can only do so much, and we have to consider the possibility that some things can't pan out even with the best effort. If even Sakurai has his doubts, then we shouldn't take it lightly.
The thing is, we can’t speculate too hard on what companies will or will not be in a good state in the future. With the limited info we have, things seem fine. Even Konami does not seem to be in a situation where it will implode like it did in the early 2010s. Could something like that happen? Sure. Could someone get bought out, like Sega or Capcom? Sure. But we won’t know that. Right now, every company in smash seems to be stable and the relationships seem to be fine. There really is no point in whatabouting with possible scenarios when right now it seems that we won’t be needing to worry about that. Sure, it’s possible something like that can happen. Given the information we have right now, it does not seem probable though that we will see a Konami situation again. That seems to be the exception, not the norm.
TCT~Phantom, you make some great points, but I gotta stop you on a couple things.

Chrom re-used the exact same model from Robin's Final Smash. Programming-wise, he doesn't seem very complicated either, just being Roy without the fire effects and inserting Ike's Up-B. He was very much a budget character. Granted, having a different Up-B does set him apart as a clone, but among the best in the series? I mean, Brawl arguably having nothing but semi-clones seems like a pretty high bar there.

Quantity over quality, though. I still maintain that, while Ultimate has a LOT you can do, it's dragged down significantly by its sheer lack of variety. That said, I don't think having a large number of Spirits is particularly worth boasting about. Keep in mind, they had foregone having trophies this time around, and while there's a lot more Spirits than there were trophies in previous games, they still seem extremely simple to do. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if fan modders could make a Spirit editor, allowing you to set some conditions for a battle and insert some PNG file within less than a minute (for all I know, they probably already did so, but I don't look into the modding community that much). Compare that to the work of making a 3D model for a trophy, or even importing an existing 3D model from another game. Even so, I do appreciate that Spirits have at least some kind of gameplay purpose at all, whereas trophies were literally just collectibles meant to be viewed in a gallery separate from the main game.

But yes, I really don't think it'd be hard to build off of Ultimate. Sakurai said that there was a small number of newcomers due to EIH, but as you pointed out, those numbers are fudged a bit given the number of veterans that weren't in Smash4 who essentially had to be built from the ground up (to say nothing of all the tweaks to Smash4 veterans), and especially the returning HD stages. I can't say how much tinkering needs to be done to simply port over old assets (and I wouldn't underestimate the fact that competitive fighting games require a delicate balancing process), but considering what Ultimate could accomplish with only a 2.5 year development cycle, I get the impression that Sakurai was just paying lip service for the most part. Could EIH reach a point of unsustainability? Possibly, though it ultimately comes down to how much time and money is willing to be put into keeping it (and with any luck, Smash doesn't just pull a Pokemon, cheaping out in both quantity and quality because they wanted to rush out a new title so damn badly..... in fact, Sora Ltd. has a fairly different work ethic from The Pokemon Company in general).
Chrom for the limited resources they put into him turned out fantastic. By having his sword function differently from Roy’s while also giving him a different recovery you are able to make him play differently while keeping some of Roy’s own natural design traits. You trade the risk of Roy sweet and sour spots for risk in survivability. You keep the theme of Roy being the aggressive risky swordsman but shift the risk in a different direction. It’s a great design that lets you have a clone that while inspired by the original, played differently enough they feel distinct.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom for the limited resources they put into him turned out fantastic. By having his sword function differently from Roy’s while also giving him a different recovery you are able to make him play differently while keeping some of Roy’s own natural design traits. You trade the risk of Roy sweet and sour spots for risk in survivability. You keep the theme of Roy being the aggressive risky swordsman but shift the risk in a different direction. It’s a great design that lets you have a clone that while inspired by the original, played differently enough they feel distinct.
Chrom is honestly the most clever Echo addition we've had so far. And his inclusion made me wish we had more Echo Fighters. Lucina definitely have me the same idea before in Smash 4.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing is, we can’t speculate too hard on what companies will or will not be in a good state in the future. With the limited info we have, things seem fine. Even Konami does not seem to be in a situation where it will implode like it did in the early 2010s. Could something like that happen? Sure. Could someone get bought out, like Sega or Capcom? Sure. But we won’t know that. Right now, every company in smash seems to be stable and the relationships seem to be fine. There really is no point in whatabouting with possible scenarios when right now it seems that we won’t be needing to worry about that. Sure, it’s possible something like that can happen. Given the information we have right now, it does not seem probable though that we will see a Konami situation again. That seems to be the exception, not the norm.
The problem with that point is we're discussing a future game and by that nature 'whatabouting' is going to be a part of the conversation. Even saying that third party relationships will remain constant with today is toeing that as we're making assumptions about companies with limited information about what happened in the development of Ultimate itself and anything going on within the companies behind the scenes. The only information we really have to work with are the drips Sakurai has given us over the years, and even than I doubt he told us all of the potential trouble and headaches he may've had to endure to get Ultimate to the state it is now.

Additionally, we've already seen a major shake-up in the industry with Activision getting bought out by Microsoft, and there are rumblings of other potential buyouts happening behind the scenes if we are to believe the insiders. That's already a wrinkle in the conversation that we didn't really consider or discuss before this year and more of those are probably going to pop up. We may not get another Konami case, but there are other potential issues that can lead to a similar outcome, and this is especially the case as Third Parties are outside of Nintendo's control and have their own agendas and demands that may not line up with theirs.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
That reminds me; if you could select a bonus fighter and it wasn’t Piranha Plant, who would you go with?

Personally, I’d go with Waluigi.
If the pick can be anyone I want: It's really tough to choose between Dixie Kong or Medusa.

If the pick has to be WTF out-of-nowhere like Piranha Plant: A Guardian from LoZ: Breath of the Wild.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I know this is impossible but I would love to see a Super Smash Bros. game released as a Tactical role-playing game.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Nintendo multiple times touted the massive sales of Smash DLC in their financial reports. In 2020 for instance they showed how it was one of their largest sources of revenue. If anything, you are understating the size Smash has grown to. Smash Ultimate as of last counting sold over 27 million units. That’s almost more than Brawl, Melee, and Smash 4 Wii U combined. People were willing to pay 55 dollars for both fighters passes. If only 10% of the ultimate audience bought only the two passes, that’s almost $150,000,000 in revenue (note: this is assuming USD and a stable conversion rate across all currencies). That is not taking into account people who only bought one pass, individual characters, or Mii Costumes. This is also a conservative estimate. Odds are, ultimates DLC alone did even better than this admittedly conservative estimate.

Now, is part of that due to just the install base being big? Sure, but it’s also the culture that smash has built around it. Smash has become this massive celebration of gaming, where whatever character comes in will have a portion of the audience excited. This is the community that got excited over Plant being added. This is where Joker’s smash reveal was the keynote announcement of the VGA’s. Where Sephiroth’s was one of the opening announcements the next year. Big announcements like Steve caused such a deafening amount of hype. Nintendo knows how to please the crowd and hype up their game.
Despite all that, they didn't do a third pass. Of course, you could argue that this has to do with content burnout and say that they'll come around eventually. But (1) this remains to be seen and lacks precedent (no, MK8's DLC is nothing like adding the kind of Smash content people are asking for); and (2) even if more content for Ultimate were worth doing after a certain amount of time, it eventually becomes less worth it relative to making something new when Ultimate can only get more and more aged and stale for the average consumer.

One other thing you miss is that putting third party picks like say Halo in is a good move to introduce smash to new audiences. The hype that Terry, Steve, or Joker for instance brought from their communities was big. I know transitional fighting game fans who were ecstatic Terry was in. I know people who bought smash ultimate just to play as Steve. I know JRPG fans who do not like smash who gave it a spin due to Joker. Smash also introduces other people to those games. Think of how beloved games like Three Houses, Persona 5, or Bayonetta 2 have become because smash helped shine a spotlight on them. Smash does wonders for advertising and bringing in new people both to itself and the games it advertises.
I don't doubt that adding third party franchises can expand the audience; it is a consideration I neglected to mention even though I think the number of people who will buy the game just for one particular third party character is fairly small, even in cases like Steve or Chief. You said above that basically any character, even an oddball like Plant, can hype people up, in which case I don't see as much upshot to adding third parties specifically.
I also don't doubt that third parties are highly profitable. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am against the audience expanding; however, I don't want them to give in to crowd-pleasing if it means sacrificing the original identity of the game and/or makes having a fair roster selection even more difficult than it already is.

Finally, you bring up that people have unreasonable expectations for an Ultimate deluxe. I’d argue Ultimate Deluxe is honestly one of the most reasonable takes you can have so long as you do not expect the moon. For starters, economically Ultimate Deluxe makes a ton of sense. We know that Smash sold like hot cakes both in terms of DLC and in terms of game sales. Nintendo is going to want to have a new smash game on their next system. Using Ultimate as a base honestly makes sense to save money.You have a well balanced roster that is well animated. Why spend money and resources redoing all that from the ground up when you could just port it? Consumer wise it also makes sense to pander to the base and do an Ult Deluxe. Ult as I said above sold over 27 million copies. It’s clear people love it and I doubt Nintendo especially nowadays wants to rock the boat that much. Nintendo also has historically wanted a new smash ready for its next system within the first few years. Since melee, Nintendo has shot for smash launches early within a systems lifespan. Nintendo could easily have their next system out by 2024-2025. Why risk not having a killer app within reason for your system when you could just do Ult Deluxe alongside another big first party release? For Nintendo, Ult Deluxe makes the most sense and is just the path of least resistance to them.
The post you're quoting was about not expecting too much from an Ult Deluxe in terms of new content, if it were to happen. That post wasn't about having unreasonable expectations on whether it will happen at all. Just that Ult Deluxe happening doesn't automatically mean a ton of new characters and modes.
Regardless, of course they're going to reuse as many assets as they can. They always do that. But on new hardware it's highly likely that they're only going to be able to reuse a limited amount or at least have to significantly update it, and besides that, I don't want shortcuts if they conflict with good design or roster choices. You can't just assume that porting is going to be the path of least resistance when you don't know how good Ultimate will even look on the new hardware and you don't know how well the game will age. Maybe they don't want to proverbially rock the boat but they will have to eventually, maybe sooner than some would hope.
From another perspective, having the Smash team invest resources into an updated port when they're likely going to want a brand new game on the new hardware at some point down the line might be disadvantageous if it forces that desired new game further out into the system's lifetime.

I’d say that EiH is much more likely to continue than the thanos snap to third parties and the roster in general some people like you want, or that it’s pointless and unrealistic to think that the roster needs reevaluation because characters like Corrin or Incineroar made it in
Again, the post you're quoting was not telling people they can't want an Ult Deluxe, just that it might not be as good as they expect if they do in fact get it (I'm sorry if it came off wrong or too strong). Tempering expectations. And believe me, my own expectations have been adequately tempered after the last few speculation cycles. I am fully prepared for the third party stampede to continue, but again the post you're quoting wasn't really about whether my personal asks are going to happen.
Lastly, please stop singling out Corrin and Incineroar when I've made it clear that those are far from the only reconsiderations I'd advocate for. It's a reduction that dismisses the rest of what I've said.

Even if we would have Ult Deluxe meet the bare minimum for a port with Sakurai at the helm at launch, it would still probably do well. If it had say a conservative number of newcomers (let’s say 6-8 unique newcomers going off the development for Ult with EiH and having to make the cut characters from the ground up), some new stages, changes to classic modes after the DLC and new characters, and improved online, it would still get a ton of hype. You could easily have more newcomers, new single player modes, or what have you. Assuming the worst case scenario of small single player expansions that only happen to accommodate the new characters, some new characters and stages, and a vastly superior online, it would still sell amazingly and generate hype. I think those are very conservative expectations for going into an Ult Deluxe. You could easily have more content since they do not need to focus resources on recreating characters or animations.
What you're describing sounds pretty expansive for a port; a conservative expectation would be, well, a port, which is the same game put onto new hardware. Sure, what you're suggesting would perform well, but how much better than a straight port relative to the amount of effort it would take? What if porting isn't even feasible to begin with? "Could easily have" more content is not the same as adding that content being worth it relative to doing nothing and porting the game as-is, or relative to making a new game to fulfill a new vision for the series.

Letting Nintendo or Sakurai use Ultimate as a canvas for the next game honestly is a best case scenario overall.
Again, they're going to use as much as they can if it still fits with their design and/or roster decisions/vision. But it may not all be feasible or even desirable if they have other ideas for the series.

I know you might have issues with ultimate because it has transitioned away from the outdated Nintendo all star mindset,
Actually, the base game content has stayed fairly true to the allstar mindset, even if it is not as much as I would like. Basically all the base game third party newcomer additions (so not including vets) have been limited to the retro icons aside from Snake, and the rest have largely been important Nintendo characters. Sure, there are a lot of decisions, even ones on the first party side, that I disagree with; however, it is still a highly Nintendo-focused game in terms of new base game content. I'm arguing that they should stick more closely to that largely more coherent vision.

Smash has transitioned into becoming one of if not the greatest crossover in gaming
You could have maybe said that back in 64 just on the basis of having Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, and Pikachu together.

I know in the past you threw a fit over “irrelevant” characters like Corrin or Incineroar being in the roster. While you might not like those characters, you have to accept that your view on the roster is fringe at best.
Again, please don't characterize my perspective like that. I also don't think I have done anything resembling a fit; I am generally careful to think through what I say and not become excessively emotionally invested over what is just a game. I'm writing this stuff for fun, you know.
And I'm fine with my opinions being unpopular. Nobody has to agree. The post you're quoting wasn't principally about my own asks anyway, even though of course personal bias always drips into things.

Sakurai does not actively look through the roster culling characters no longer relevant. Neither does Nintendo
I mean, they do when they have to. Several characters have been cut or been considered for cutting, or been given potentially perilously low priority for various reasons. I argue that they should be less averse to cutting than they have been, but it is clear that they do to some extent consider whether vets are worth adding again relative to other characters they could roster (although again I think that vets shouldn't be given added priority just on the basis of being vets).

you don’t get the right to call Ult Deluxe unrealistic when much of what you actively talk about in terms of the direction of smash is far more unrealistic.
I mean, I've acknowledged the unlikelihood of several things I've asked for, and people are allowed to tell me they're unlikely. It's not unfair discussion and comes with no aim of making it personal or hurting any feelings.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given how much Nintendo's dominating a lot of the Japanese marketplace (and is in a decent spot to continue doing so when/if the next Smash comes out), that does make me curious in regard to non-Ninentedo characters. Between that element and various Western companies potentially getting acquired, I could see them leaning even more into Japanese third parties given the possible ease of work involved.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If there is an Adventure Mode in Super Smash Bros. 6, I wonder who the final boss will be. At The Subspace Emissary at Super Smash Bros. Brawl was Tabuu, while in World of Light at Super Smash Bros. Ultimate were Galeem and Dharkon. In Super Smash Bros 6 who will be the final boss? Especially for the simple bosses who will they be?

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I've been playing Kirby Fighters 2 and trying out Ninja Kirby. I can picture Ryu Hayabusa's moveset having some similarities to him, seeing as he does some of those same attacks in the Ninja Gaiden series. Abilities like the projectile (which could either be a kunai or shuriken), the Wall Jump, the Stealth Dash, and the Air Drop (which is obviously the Izuna Drop) are all abilities that Hayabusa would most likely use if he was in Smash.

Plus, Kirby's Hayabusa hat would look more like the Ninja appearance than all the others in Smash so far, so I can picture some sort of nod to that.

1645299403242.png

But he'll need a mask, so he'll probably look more like this:

1645299481377.png

But still, this does in some ways ease my disappointment over Hayabusa not being in. This gives me a better idea of what he could have been like in a game like this.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Given how much Nintendo's dominating a lot of the Japanese marketplace (and is in a decent spot to continue doing so when/if the next Smash comes out), that does make me curious in regard to non-Ninentedo characters. Between that element and various Western companies potentially getting acquired, I could see them leaning even more into Japanese third parties given the possible ease of work involved.
I can see that. Despite popular belief, there are still PLENTY on Japanese third parties that could potentially be added to Smash, and I'm not just talking about the ones from companies already in...

Stratos

Smash Ace
I would not want to lose hope for Super Smash Bros. 6, I would like to at least hope that Masahiro Sakurai will give someone else permission to continue the Super Smash Bros. series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't doubt that adding third party franchises can expand the audience; it is a consideration I neglected to mention even though I think the number of people who will buy the game just for one particular third party character is fairly small, even in cases like Steve or Chief. You said above that basically any character, even an oddball like Plant, can hype people up, in which case I don't see as much upshot to adding third parties specifically.
Really it seems more like the popularity of the system that a Smash game is on is what truly effects the popularity of that Smash game, rather than who owns the characters that get added. IE:
  • The gargantuan success of the Wii helped Brawl sell its 12 million copies
  • The 3DS and especially the Wii U were less popular than their predecessors, thus Smash 4 only outsold Brawl if you combine the two versions' sales and even then there could be a lot of overlap between those who bought the Wii U and 3DS versions
  • The Switch took a while to finally outsell the Wii, but even prior to that, virtually every single multi-million selling Nintendo franchise that got a Switch game had that Switch game break sales records for that franchise, from Mario Kart to Animal Crossing to Zelda. Naturally this would be applied to Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
The problem with that point is we're discussing a future game and by that nature 'whatabouting' is going to be a part of the conversation. Even saying that third party relationships will remain constant with today is toeing that as we're making assumptions about companies with limited information about what happened in the development of Ultimate itself and anything going on within the companies behind the scenes. The only information we really have to work with are the drips Sakurai has given us over the years, and even than I doubt he told us all of the potential trouble and headaches he may've had to endure to get Ultimate to the state it is now.

Additionally, we've already seen a major shake-up in the industry with Activision getting bought out by Microsoft, and there are rumblings of other potential buyouts happening behind the scenes if we are to believe the insiders. That's already a wrinkle in the conversation that we didn't really consider or discuss before this year and more of those are probably going to pop up. We may not get another Konami case, but there are other potential issues that can lead to a similar outcome, and this is especially the case as Third Parties are outside of Nintendo's control and have their own agendas and demands that may not line up with theirs.
First and foremost as it's already been stated there are pre-existing modern contracts that can more easily work as a starting point for future negotiations.

If it's fair to assume Bamco develops the next game then their characters are safe.

With Bamco comes a two-fold solid relationship with Capcom on both Nintendo's and Bamco's ends so I think they're safe too.

Microsoft's strategy has clearly been to play nice with Nintendo so I think they're safe.

SNK seems legitimately eager to oblige haha. I'd actually love to see Metal Slug get a double echo/costume swap solution between the 2 male and 2 female leads. Anyway Terry is safe.

Square Enix has clearly made a bigger commitment to Smash so while it might still feel a little uneasy to us fans; I think, realistically, they're safe too, and that's especially considering all the Nintendo exclusives they've been churning out even going so far as to there actually being a real chance at potentially reviving Mario RPG of all things as things currently stand with them. As far as Disney is concerned the executive that talked with Sakurai at the initial meeting was seemingly (based on the story) very engaged with making it happen. I think with the established contract acting as a base and the extremely good reception Sora's inclusion received coupled with Square's desire to put him in makes him safer than we probably are comfortable expecting. Disney has gone on record multiple times saying that while they own the IP they always honor Square's wishes when it comes to the original Kingdom Hearts characters.

SEGA has a long-established history with Nintendo such as doing the latest F-Zero game, allowing Nintendo to publish the Bayonetta sequels and even having an exclusivity contract with for their mascot Sonic with Nintendo for a time and have allowed for Sonic to carry over for 3 consecutive Smash games as a base character no problem and have recently let Bayonetta carry over 2 consecutive games and have allowed Joker into Ultimate. So coupling these things together we can assume SEGA characters are safe.

That leaves just Konami. Well they came back, didn't they? We had to nix the old Metal Gear series logo but we got Snake back. Konami's current strategy is to license their IPs out which is what Smash literally is for them. I think adding Simon/Ricther sweetened the deal for both sides though. Maybe they just need another character like Bomberman or something to help move them toward a resolution that brings their veterans back? Who knows? They're the shakiest. It's just baseless speculation but of all the companies I could see them being unreasonable enough to actually leverage denying Nintendo "Everyone is Here!" to the point that Nintendo walks away. I hope their business relationship is better than that and with 2 separate Smash games having been negotiated for with them I'd say that it's at least a decent business relationship at worst.

Then finally there's the Acquisition Wars to consider.

If Microsoft gets any of these companies then it's safe. I guess it's somewhat harder for foreign companies to purchase Japanese ones? I've heard that a lot but I haven't seen any proof of there actually being an established law of the sort. I do recognize that there might be a strong cultural resistance to the prospect of a foreign buyout but money talks past the language barrier.

If Sony does then it's a little less safe but not really as unsafe as people are making it out to be. Sony would have to make a business decision in the case of acquiring any of these companies with regards to Smash. Would they rather spend their own time and resources developing a direct competitor, which comes with all the marketing and distribution responsibilities, or let Nintendo do all of that for them, promote their characters to Nintendo's audience, and get Nintendo's direct involvement with Smash at EVO the fighting game tournament circuit they now own? I'd say it's much better business to go to Smash.

If it's Tencent then I don't know at that point. Tencent's strategy has been to purchase minority stakes in most the companies they invest in and on top of that they did work with the Pokemon Company recently for Pokemon Unite. So it might not be so bad for Smash if they acquired say SNK or something.

Companies like Ubisoft, Take-Two or EA I highly doubt would be able to acquire a Japanese company if it's already a big ask for the likes of Microsoft to do it.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s not that Japanese companies can’t be bought out or, as some people like to miscommunication, that it’s illegal for a U.S. company to acquire a Japanese company. It’s just Japanese companies aren’t often looking to sell. Hostile takeovers are exceedingly unpopular over there because that’s seen as a shady way of acquisition and from what I heard is considered disrespectful in Japanese culture.

If Sega all of a sudden decided, “hm you know what? That $7B Microsoft put up last year does sound good right now,” they could sell. It would take mutual agreements and years upon years of negotiations due to a language barrier among the other acquisition mumbo jumbo but if a Microsoft deal with either Konami or Sega is actually happening right now we either won’t see it for another 2 or 3 years or if it is announced soon it’s been in the works for several years already.

Could you imagine Microsoft now owning Sega and having Sonic, Banjo, Crash, Spyro, and more all under the same umbrella? Wild.

I know this is impossible but I would love to see a Super Smash Bros. game released as a Tactical role-playing game.
This was from a while back, but I want to express my appreciation for the idea that Smash Bros straight-up becomes Fire Emblem. Not even the Fire Emblem fighting game that people occasionally joke about.

On a serious note, a Nintendo crossover TRPG would be pretty cool. They could do some cool stuff that incorporates abilities from different series as unique options (for instance, Link with a hookshot for movement, Shulk being a buff/debuff guy, Mario breaking walls made of brick, etc.). I wouldn't want it to replace the fighting game, though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This was from a while back, but I want to express my appreciation for the idea that Smash Bros straight-up becomes Fire Emblem. Not even the Fire Emblem fighting game that people occasionally joke about.

On a serious note, a Nintendo crossover TRPG would be pretty cool. They could do some cool stuff that incorporates abilities from different series as unique options (for instance, Link with a hookshot for movement, Shulk being a buff/debuff guy, Mario breaking walls made of brick, etc.). I wouldn't want it to replace the fighting game, though.
I made a thread about just this few hours back. But yes, Smash and Fire Emblem mix well. I could actually easily imagine most Smash characters working as Fire Emblem units.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It’s not that Japanese companies can’t be bought out or, as some people like to miscommunication, that it’s illegal for a U.S. company to acquire a Japanese company. It’s just Japanese companies aren’t often looking to sell. Hostile takeovers are exceedingly unpopular over there because that’s seen as a shady way of acquisition and from what I heard is considered disrespectful in Japanese culture.

If Sega all of a sudden decided, “hm you know what? That $7B Microsoft put up last year does sound good right now,” they could sell. It would take mutual agreements and years upon years of negotiations due to a language barrier among the other acquisition mumbo jumbo but if a Microsoft deal with either Konami or Sega is actually happening right now we either won’t see it for another 2 or 3 years or if it is announced soon it’s been in the works for several years already.

Could you imagine Microsoft now owning Sega and having Sonic, Banjo, Crash, Spyro, and more all under the same umbrella? Wild.
If they decide to bring back Skylanders, they'd have SO many characters to work with...

What? I had this idea of Skylanders being partly a celebration of platformers, don't judge me.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
That reminds me; if you could select a bonus fighter and it wasn’t Piranha Plant, who would you go with?

What makes a fighter "bonus"?

Can I just...pick anyone?
Based on the context, I’m assuming they mean a first party character like plant that at launch we would be able to get for free.

One thing that makes this kind of hard for me being as objective as possible is that part of why plant worked as a bonus was specifically because it was such a low impact fighter. If you did not own Smash at launch, Plant would likely not be a character that you would experience hardcore fomo over. Like, imagine if instead we got Bandana Dee. On paper, that would be super cool. But in practice it leaves you with this awkward taste in your mouth of where if you didn’t happen to get smash early, you are stuck paying money for a character mana got for free. It’s a weird little detail, but it’s still one I could see making some people upset.

If I got to choose my bonus character, it depends if I can get a stage too. If so, I’d go with Takamaru from Mysterious Murasame Castle. I think he would be an awesome retro rep that would give us a cool samurai character to play as. But if we are going with something like plant where it can’t come with a stage, that makes things tougher. I’d still probably lean Takamaru, but I could easily see myself pushing for something like Excitebiker or Mach Rider instead. Something retro, smaller, and/or first party would be my choice.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I would swap Incineroar and Plant, by making the last base game character a logical Mario character (probably Waluigi or Toad) and making the bonus character a bizarre Pokemon pick. There's lots of options here. We could add...
  • Hydregion or Rotom, in the "I never thought about this but **** yeah" category
  • Ledian or Farfetch'd, in the "we're getting more attention in a crossover game than we do in real ones (this is before Gen 8, i.e before Sirfech'd)" category
  • Ariados or Uxie, in the "Ok I guess" category.
  • Quilfish or Celesteela, in the "Twitter burns with the hatred of a thousand suns" category
  • You know what? **** the pokemon, we could just add a person. why the hell can't professor oak beat you up?

Stratos

Smash Ace
Waluigi must have his own set of video games to have moves based on there, otherwise he will have to moves based on sports games of Mario.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Eternal Darkness just can’t catch a break, man. :034:
It is stuck in eter...nevermind.

I wonder if they'd change sanity effects that are more obvious when you're not playing the game on a CRT TV from 2003? Doesn't make any sense to have a Switch in handheld mode shift into "video mode" with a green VIDEO in the top-right corner.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Based on the context, I’m assuming they mean a first party character like plant that at launch we would be able to get for free.

One thing that makes this kind of hard for me being as objective as possible is that part of why plant worked as a bonus was specifically because it was such a low impact fighter. If you did not own Smash at launch, Plant would likely not be a character that you would experience hardcore fomo over. Like, imagine if instead we got Bandana Dee. On paper, that would be super cool. But in practice it leaves you with this awkward taste in your mouth of where if you didn’t happen to get smash early, you are stuck paying money for a character mana got for free. It’s a weird little detail, but it’s still one I could see making some people upset.
Pretty much this. For as much crap as Piranha Plant gets, I thought it was the perfect choice for a bonus character. It gets to act as a very bizarre surprise, but it's lowkey enough for its presence in the game to be completely optional, while also getting to act as an added incentive for early adopters. It's exactly what it is, a bonus, and little more. Not only that, but the way it was revealed as a bonus is pretty important when you consider that Ultimate's entire roster was being revealed prior to release (likely because they KNEW people would just spoil everything before the thing could even hit its street date), so it essentially got to be the Mr. Game & Watch or Duck Hunt of Ultimate while not having the honor of being the last base game character (though granted, not a lot of people were satisfied with Inceneroar being in that position either, but I guess both fighters were downplayed during the final pre-release Direct in lieu of World of Light's reveal).

Something I feel a lot of people don't really comprehend is that, if they included someone like Waluigi or Crash or whoever in place of Plant, their fans would likely be pissed that their favorite character was getting shafted like that. Just thrown in there as an early freebie with very little fanfare, an awkward middle ground where they're not even worthy of including in the base game or their own DLC pack. On top of that, another bonus DLC character likely wouldn't have come with their own stage or music (granted, the franchise Plant's attached to already has that in spades, but consider that Waluigi is also a Mario character, so he'd end up without his own home stage). Of course, you'd have people who would be happy just to have that character in the game at all, but it still seems like a lose-lose scenario for Nintendo and Sakurai regardless. The unexpected inclusion of a random Mario enemy really was the best thing they could go with. I guess the alternative would've been to not have an early bonus at all, but are people so hateful of Piranha Plant that they'd prefer to have nothing in its place?

As an aside, I really like that they almost immediately made Piranha Plant available for regular purchase afterwards. I've experience far too many games that made pre-order bonuses exclusive to the pre-order. I mean, getting bonus content for free instead of paying for it is still a nice incentive to get a game early, but no, several publishers would prefer to prey on FOMO, and it sickens me. One thing I will disagree with, though, is Piranha Plant's pricing. I mean, sure, I could understand an added cost to getting the game late but still wanting all the content (or just happening to be a genuine fan of the Mario enemy), but making it cost more than a stand-alone Challenger Pack? When it's JUST the character, no soundtracks or stage? They could stand to dial that back a bit.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Figured I'd share this, given the recent talk of preservation:

I know Nintendo is protective over the IPs when it comes to other companies doing them, but like....what is it with Nintendo and Gamecube games in particular where there seem to be issues in general?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know Nintendo is protective over the IPs when it comes to other companies doing them, but like....what is it with Nintendo and Gamecube games in particular where there seem to be issues in general?
Personally, I felt like Nintendo wants people to forget about the Gamecube (as it was their biggest failure pre-Wii U), but at the same time they... don't? Does that make any sense?

Although in this case, it might have something to do with ex-Silicon Knights members. Or so I heard. Don't know the full details, aside from the fact one of them pleaded guilty of sexual assault charges.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
GameCube biggest failure ? How? It has prime games as Melee, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Mario Sunshine, and actually had relative good hardware. These are also games praised to the current day, and get remakes too. I don't really get it ? Maybe they just feel the GameCube isn't quote retro enough? They seem to have a same sort of hesitation with Gameboy Advance games, and maybe just wait for the nostalgia to really hit ?

Kinda baffles me you'd say that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
GameCube biggest failure ? How? It has prime games as Melee, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Mario Sunshine, and actually had relative good hardware. These are also games praised to the current day, and get remakes too. I don't really get it ? Maybe they just feel the GameCube isn't quote retro enough? They seem to have a same sort of hesitation with Gameboy Advance games, and maybe just wait for the nostalgia to really hit ?

Even pre-Wii U, it still wasn't Nintendo's biggest failure. That biggest failure is something brought to you by the colors red and black. And eyestrain.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Something I feel a lot of people don't really comprehend is that, if they included someone like Waluigi or Crash or whoever in place of Plant, their fans would likely be pissed that their favorite character was getting shafted like that. Just thrown in there as an early freebie with very little fanfare, an awkward middle ground where they're not even worthy of including in the base game or their own DLC pack. On top of that, another bonus DLC character likely wouldn't have come with their own stage or music (granted, the franchise Plant's attached to already has that in spades, but consider that Waluigi is also a Mario character, so he'd end up without his own home stage). Of course, you'd have people who would be happy just to have that character in the game at all, but it still seems like a lose-lose scenario for Nintendo and Sakurai regardless. The unexpected inclusion of a random Mario enemy really was the best thing they could go with.
What about Mewtwo in Smash 4? I don't remember how all the reactions were, but it went over fine if not positively with most of the general audience.
I get what you're saying about a "bonus" character being a different circumstance than those in which popular requests are usually added; however, I don't think it follows that a popular character would go over poorly as a bonus fighter or that a generic Mario enemy was the only or best option.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Even pre-Wii U, it still wasn't Nintendo's biggest failure. That biggest failure is something brought to you by the colors red and black. And eyestrain.
Personally I think GameCube did it just about as good as N64 right ? But both aren't SNES level, and I feel the Switch is a huge redeemer for Nintendo , alongside the Wii. Those and the 3DS might've been the most successful overall systems of Nintendo.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I doubt it's a "**** the gamecube" thing. They probably just don't think an Eternal Darkness sequel would be worth making, and so they don't.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think it is probably more of Nintendo not too interested in the IP thing than a Gamecube issue.

Top Bottom