• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I actually like how assist trophies have slowly been transformed from abstract concepts and a manner to represent games that don’t easily support a fighter to instead being a consolation prize for popular characters that just couldn’t make the cut. The number of cool fighter ideas outnumbers the amount of characters that can realistically be in the game, so putting them in the role closest to being a fighter that isn’t actually a fighter is probably the best option.

I’m also not sure where this idea that a character being an assist trophy kills their support or dooms them to forever being locked into that role in the fanbase’s eyes comes from. Waluigi is a candidate for the most popular newcomer choice generally and a lot of that is because people want to see him break from his assist trophy status.

Where it kind of sucks being an assist trophy is that it seems to eliminate the possibility that same character could be DLC, but this has really only effected Spring Man thus far and the vast majority of assist trophies don’t seem to be the types of characters that Sakurai wants as DLC (third parties, promotional characters, and cut veterans).
id say the reverse has happened, with assist trophies starting out more abstract and having become more of a consolation prize. A lot of them have got so many moves that they don’t so much assist as take over

I certainly miss some of the simpler ones like excite bike and infantry and tanks

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m also not sure where this idea that a character being an assist trophy kills their support or dooms them to forever being locked into that role in the fanbase’s eyes comes from. Waluigi is a candidate for the most popular newcomer choice generally and a lot of that is because people want to see him break from his assist trophy status.
Waluigi is lucky that he already has millions that want to play as him in Smash. The rest of the ATs...not so much, except maybe the Sonic characters.

There's also the whole "every character must be a super-recent first-party or super-huge third-party or they're impossible to get into Smash" mindset which would affect a lot of these ATs even if they weren't ATs, but when they're both ATs and not super-recent first-parties/super-huge third-parties, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I mentioned Klonoa a few pages back, i think he fits perfectly as an assist trophy, all he does in his games is pick stuff up and throw them, that feels like something that could be easily made into an assist trophy, picking up items and your opponents and throwing them around.

Though if that were to happen it would also be cool if the most popular song from the series were included in the others section of the music list

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Waluigi is lucky that he already has millions that want to play as him in Smash. The rest of the ATs...not so much, except maybe the Sonic
I disagree with this. Issac is the third most popular Nintendo candidate behind Waluigi and Bandana Dee. Even if there’s a gap between those two and Isaac, he still breaks the million+ threshold. Ashley, Zero, Alucard, Skull Kid, and Midna all also have sizeable followings, even if they aren’t massive.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Characters losing supporters after being disconfirmed is why the board should open character threads in between games.
Seriously, why aren't they open? It feels so backwards, the least a Smash-centric forum can do for its users is facilitate discussion for people that want to discuss the characters they want to see.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like some characters just work better as assist trophies rather than playable characters
Agreed. And by the same token, some characters would just work better as Bosses than Fighters.

Like Ganon, Andross, Mother Brain, etc.

Waluigi is lucky that he already has millions that want to play as him in Smash. The rest of the ATs...not so much, except maybe the Sonic characters.
Characters like Bomberman, Zero, Alucard, Isaac, Krystal and Shovel Knight also have their supporters.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He is, unfortunately. Just a really ****ty character concept.
I think it's a really cool idea that was halfway thrown in the garbage. Something like that needed to be front and center or at least a constant force to be reckoned with and instead they made him a jabber that appears like three times and then turns into a puddle.

And then they didn't even put him in MvCI where he'd fit even better! Though to be fair it's MvCI so they'd probably do the same thing with him story-wise, except he'd only appear once.

I...do not agree. I think the Aztec warrior thing is...okay. But his hair is REAL dumb.
It's a cool idea that should have been shot down pretty quickly upon realizing that the physics engine was not their friend. At the very least they should have key-framed it. But nope, let's just let it flop around and clip through him and itself every time he moves.

If pessimism is met with acceptance, nothing changes.
Well that's a raw line. It's also pretty true. I'll have to remember this one.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Characters losing supporters after being disconfirmed is why the board should open character threads in between games.
I remember there was contention whether they'd even have this thread after Ultimate ended, or just confine Smash speculation to the social thread.

But yeah, this is the first time there hasn't been character-specific threads since, I think, pre-Smash 4. The Ultimate support threads opened in 2017, which was before we even knew about Ultimate. And before that, there was the social group for individual character support.

I think the argument for it being premature is a little weak when I don't think there's any question that, regardless of what form it takes, there will be more Smash, and there will be more newcomers.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Consider me +1 for opening character threads ahead of time before the next game is revealed.
I honestly think it should've happened earlier, since we're most likely past the initial project plan phase for next Smash at this point.
Yeah, it's always weird to me that the only time the request threads are open, is when they have the least impact. Because by the time a new Smash is announced, the roster is pretty much already decided.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I’d also like to see a forum that fills the function Rate their Chances thread had with one specific character being the subject of discussion for a single day. RtC doesn’t really work devoid of the context of a new Smash, but it would help focus discussion and get us thinking about unconventional choices, which may help shape visions for what the next Smash may look like.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Agreed. And by the same token, some characters would just work better as Bosses than Fighters.

Like Ganon, Andross, Mother Brain, etc.
Honestly, classic pig Ganon would work for a good playable character. Better than the version of Ridley we have now. I ironically find Ridley as a Boss in Brawl (regular Ridley not Meta Ridley) a better representation than the playable version of Ridley in Ultimate. He's just awkward and heavily forced in. Not a popular take I know, but if Ridley was my most wanted character I wouldn't be satisfied with this, at all. I still love his inclusion cause he's in cause of pure fan demand, but yeah... I think they'd do Ganon more justice than Ridley is all am saying.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d also like to see a forum that fills the function Rate their Chances thread had with one specific character being the subject of discussion for a single day. RtC doesn’t really work devoid of the context of a new Smash, but it would help focus discussion and get us thinking about unconventional choices, which may help shape visions for what the next Smash may look like.
We actually did that during the DLC cycle for Ultimate. It was a lot of fun. It gave me the chance to talk about a lot of my favorites and learn things about other people’s favorites I wasn’t very familiar with. It was definitely a good way to avoid just repeating the same things over and over again like we can sometimes do here.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I feel like this thread would go in a lot less circles if character support threads were opened back up. Because I don’t know about you, spending nearly three years in this thread rehashing the same topics over and over and over again genuinely exhausts me. At least with character support threads, we’re all good to talk about our favorite characters.

Basically what I’m saying is, the character support threads should be opened back up, and I think I’d like to start a rally in this thread.

#ReleaseCharacterSupportThreads #Justice4SupportThreads

Who’s with me?!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like this thread would go in a lot less circles if character support threads were opened back up. Because I don’t know about you, spending nearly three years in this thread rehashing the same topics over and over and over again genuinely exhausts me. At least with character support threads, we’re all good to talk about our favorite characters.

Basically what I’m saying is, the character support threads should be opened back up, and I think I’d like to start a rally in this thread.

Who’s with me?!
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me too and I’ve brought up the idea a few times myself. I wonder if there just isn’t enough traffic to the site during the offseason to warrant multiple support threads? I know I got almost no replies in my own threads even during active speculation season. Though that’s probably more because I tend to have very different preferences in characters compared to the general Smash fanbase. Still, I think it’s a good idea that could help generate more varied discussion even if my specific topics never really catch on.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing so. The "official" ones are locked but they also exist in the Ultimate Character section. Since we don't have a new game yet there's no section for character discussion either. However! We have the Nintenzone. So if anyone wants to make a character support thread feel free. Once the new game is announced then any support threads here can be moved and any old ones that aren't remade can also be moved and unlocked.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Honestly, classic pig Ganon would work for a good playable character.
Disagree. Ganon's best representation is the one he has currently.

Better than the version of Ridley we have now. I ironically find Ridley as a Boss in Brawl (regular Ridley not Meta Ridley) a better representation than the playable version of Ridley in Ultimate. He's just awkward and heavily forced in.
Agree! Ridley was better as a Boss.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can agree to disagree. I think amongst potential Zelda newcomers, Impa and Ganon are the best choices in terms of longevity in the series and with consistent roles.
I don't want them to cut Ridley, rather fix him... make him larger at least.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Yeah, I definitely understand the opinion that Ridley worked better as a boss. In a sense, I agree but I’m still really happy he’s playable regardless. Ridley is just such a unique character and I love playable villains in Smash. I also like seeing more serious nonhuman characters. Smash doesn’t really have a ton of those at the moment see Ridley is a very welcome addition in my eyes.

I don't want them to cut Ridley, rather fix him... make him larger at least.
That I can agree with. I’d love if Smash made a few characters that are meant to be imposing like Bowser, Ridley, and K. Rool larger than they currently are. They don’t have to be massive but I think they could stand to be a bit bigger. Bowser was actually a good size until Smash 4. When they made him stand upright, they had to shrink his model by a good amount which resulted in him looking a bit odd in scale now.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Who’s with me?!
100% down with this. Gives a good idea which characters are most popular. And more on topic subjects. It's only for the better.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Bomberman not being playable is a tragedy, but I always get weirdly hyped whenever his AT shows up.

But yeah Bomberman is n.1 in my personal list of characters who should get promoted to playable next game.
It does feel like Sakurai, with him giving his Mii costume alternate colors and using the X Bomb as a reference to his bombs, seems to be toying with the idea of him being a playable character, so who knows? He just might get promoted next game.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ridley is a strange design since he seems to be designed as a heavyweight fighter without the overall raw power or knockback resistance of one. In return, he's quite fast for a heavyweight fighter, and has multiple jumps. The problem is that he's fast...for a heavyweight fighter. It makes sense because his mobility likely wasn't meant to be a strength in an of itself, but rather in conjunction with other heavy traits like big buttons that allow you to smother your opponent in advantage. This is something that he does well, but if he's not able to get things going, this tradeoff becomes more of a weakness than a strength, and it will always be a limiting factor for his game plan.

More than that though, he suffers from a very unbalanced moveset within its own context. It's not Zelda tier where she only has, like, 3 good moves amongst a pile of pretty crappy ones, but it does allow for certain attacks to take over the moveset when playing, and not in a way that feels intentional like with Duck Hunt's Trick Shot. Characters with this issue tend not to feel great, and this is made worse by some wonky animations that come from a clunky workaround with his logical range. His forward aerial, for example, is very needlessly cramped feeling just because they didn't actually want him to extend his tail very far and add a ton of rang to it.

Then there's Wing Blitz. Why is it not omni-directional? Why do I have to go backward if I want to go up and to the side? I get that they wanted to make it unique, and this is basically just Fire Fox with some changes, and heavy characters are supposed to have a limited recovery but for one, Fire Fox is a limited recovery move, and for two, Ridley is supposed to be an aerial based character. Making his recovery move so awkward to control makes detracts from his fantasy of being most at home in the air. And it's not like it wouldn't be unique after that either since a single hit Fire Fox that spikes when you angle it downward would be super cool.

Lastly...Why does he not have pogo tail? This is like his most notable attack, even more so than his plasma breath. Why is it not here in any form? Why is his down aerial a really slow stall-and-fall stomp with his feet? If I were to change 1 thing about the character, I would make his down aerial a downward tail stab. The move would spike at the tip, and if he hits the ground, a shield, or an opponent with it, he bounces upward. If he hits the ground with it, not only does he bounce upward, he regains his double jumps, allowing him to stay in the air longer. If you really want him to keep the stall-and-fall, at least make it like Raptor Boost where he travels down, and then when either the ground or an opponent gets into range, he stabs them, with the same or similar benefits as before. With this version of the move you could even throw in the ability to do 1-2 extra ground stabs to mixup punish timings. You could also combine the two ideas, allowing Ridley to choose whether to do a regular down aerial, or to stall-and-fall based on whether or not the player is still holding the button at the end of the start lag. This would be a very simple way of establishing his air superiority by giving him more control of his aerial mobility and disadvantage state.

While I mostly talked about what's weird about him, I think Ridley's design is actually pretty decent. The main problem I see is that it just wasn't pushed far enough, and not even in a "he needs gimmicks" kinda way. His strength tradeoffs don't quite balance themselves out enough for him to be as effective as he was intended to be, and his kit is poorly balanced in regards to itself. He also just has a few oddities that work against the fun he was supposed to allow you to have. I always thought it would be cool if he had a flight mechanic that was sort of a combination of Float and Robo Burner, but all he really needs is some rebalancing of how useful his tools are, and a new Link or Greninja-esque down aerial.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While I mostly talked about what's weird about him, I think Ridley's design is actually pretty decent. The main problem I see is that it just wasn't pushed far enough, and not even in a "he needs gimmicks" kinda way. His strength tradeoffs don't quite balance themselves out enough for him to be as effective as he was intended to be, and his kit is poorly balanced in regards to itself. He also just has a few oddities that work against the fun he was supposed to allow you to have. I always thought it would be cool if he had a flight mechanic that was sort of a combination of Float and Robo Burner, but all he really needs is some rebalancing of how useful his tools are, and a new Link or Greninja-esque down aerial.
I made a post about this earlier, but when I was looking at the competitive thread a few months back and in general they felt his moves are good and have practical uses (all non-Down Aerials, tilts, FSmash, USmash, Plasma Breath), he's just lacking enough that he struggles with camping or getting overwhelmed. When an opponent can keep him from playing his game, he has trouble getting back.

Some tweaks like more range on moves like FSmash would go a long way to help him as he's on the cusp of being a great character, he just feels restrained in certain ways. Removing some (not all, he'd risk being broken) would truly allow him to spread his wings.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
For Ridley I'd just want faster specials more than anything. Wing Blitz having limited directions isn't honestly that bad, but that coupled with its slow start up makes it super predictable. Plasma Breath is way too slow and doesn't give you time to shield yourself from anything, and Skewer is Skewer. Space Pirate Rush I think would be broken if It was faster, though, I guess it's fine the way it is.
That and more air speed. Ridley only really needs a couple more ways to force his opponent to play his game.
You also kinda miss a real down aerial, but the neutral aerial is so fast and has so much range below Ridley I think I get why they gave him a down aerial that you use to land instead. Only problem is the move sucks.

There's nothing fundamentally misdesigned about him, though. He just needs some buffs. I'd have a harder time making K. Rool more powerful without making him too powerful. Not that K. Rool is badly designed either, but he's probably overall less conventional than Ridley.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
That I can agree with. I’d love if Smash made a few characters that are meant to be imposing like Bowser, Ridley, and K. Rool larger than they currently are. They don’t have to be massive but I think they could stand to be a bit bigger. Bowser was actually a good size until Smash 4. When they made him stand upright, they had to shrink his model by a good amount which resulted in him looking a bit odd in scale now.
100%, Bowser, Ridley and K. Rool look so dumb at their current sizes. Bowser and K Rool technically being smaller than DK is wild. I actually modded Ultimate to make Bowser about as big as he is in Melee/Brawl and the result looks so much more natural.

bowser big.png

I mean there's a few minor issues like DK's new cargo throw animation having Bowser clip through DK's head a bit, but overall it feels much better. Sometimes I forget this isn't his actual Ultimate size even.

Lastly...Why does he not have pogo tail?
Only thing I can think of is that a traditional pogo tail would have ridiculous range even by Ridley standards, and if it meteor smashed on top of that, RIP anybody offstage. I do agree that a tail strike from above would be appreciated if they can manage, I just don't know how not to make it busted. I do remember hearing someone suggest making Ridley's Down B strike downwards if used in the air, so maybe that would work?

I do think on paper, Ridley's playstyle and moveset design work (which is high praise from someone who was firmly on the "Ridley cannot work in Smash" train pre Ultimate lol), but like you said, it feels restrained in some areas. I would like it to be pushed more, but I also feel like Ridley is the type of character that runs the risk of being overwhelming if you make the wrong changes.... NGL sometimes I think he was better as a boss after all, but I'm not gonna be a hater today lol.

At the very least though, he should have like 1-2 more jumps and more air speed. I don't think that would split his balance in half. If they can manage it, I'd also love for him to be a bit taller and heavier (he went from "Too Big for Smash" to "why isn't he bigger" lol. Bro needs a Hot Pocket).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wing Blitz having limited directions isn't honestly that bad, but that coupled with its slow start up makes it super predictable.
The latter part I think is intentional since he follows the heavy design philosophy of "power big so therefore recovery bad", and one of the ways of doing that is by making his recovery predictable. On top of that, Wing Blitz is pretty darn strong, so I doubt the devs want him to put opponents in situations where he can end combos with it for K.O.s at silly percentages. Making it faster could also allow for jumpscare downward Wing Blitz spikes, which would be really funny, but maybe not the healthiest thing design-wise at any skill level.

I really don't see any reason why it shouldn't be omni-directional though.

I'd have a harder time making K. Rool more powerful without making him too powerful. Not that K. Rool is badly designed either, but he's probably overall less conventional than Ridley.
Yeah King K. Rool's main issue is that he's a noob stomper to an even further degree than his archetype normally is, so any buffs you make have to be to his skill ceiling, and can't really touch his skill floor.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Only thing I can think of is that a traditional pogo tail would have ridiculous range even by Ridley standards, and if it meteor smashed on top of that, RIP anybody offstage. I do agree that a tail strike from above would be appreciated if they can manage, I just don't know how not to make it busted. I do remember hearing someone suggest making Ridley's Down B strike downwards if used in the air, so maybe that would work?
I mean.

It can't be anymore ridiculous than that.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ridley's recovery is more like a fighter jet. It seems to be influenced by some of his battles where he starts off way back then zooms at you like a giant arrow.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If they were to ever bring gliding back as a mechanic and Ridley was given Charizard’s glide, how much would that help him competitively? Having that boost to recovery would be great but would it make Ridley overpowered?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If they were to ever bring gliding back as a mechanic and Ridley was given Charizard’s glide, how much would that help him competitively? Having that boost to recovery would be great but would it make Ridley overpowered?
Personally I find the glide a little awkward to use so I wouldn’t especially want it. I’d rather just give Ridley another jump or two, would help give him a safer way to get back to stage than his extremely laggy Side and Up B but would hardly make him overpowered. I’m still a bit confused why Ridley only has three jumps in the first place, you could at least give him a conservative four jumps like Pit / Pittoo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
IIRC, the entire mechanic as it existed in SSBB was broken, but it's implimentation in Elytra is not nearly as powerful so it could be salvaged.

Personally, I found the mechanic to be finicky, so I didn't really like it. Perhaps you could put it back onto special moves like Shuttle Loop, but I dunno.

Personally I find the glide a little awkward to use so I wouldn’t especially want it. I’d rather just give Ridley another jump or two, would help give him a safer way to get back to stage than his extremely laggy Side and Up B but would hardly make him overpowered. I’m still a bit confused why Ridley only has three jumps in the first place, you could at least give him a conservative four jumps like Pit / Pittoo.
Charizard also only has 2 so maybe they're basing it off of that?

The only other heavy with more than one is King Dedede, and he clearly pays for it in other ways so maybe they just thought it'd be too powerful.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
The latter part I think is intentional since he follows the heavy design philosophy of "power big so therefore recovery bad", and one of the ways of doing that is by making his recovery predictable. On top of that, Wing Blitz is pretty darn strong, so I doubt the devs want him to put opponents in situations where he can end combos with it for K.O.s at silly percentages. Making it faster could also allow for jumpscare downward Wing Blitz spikes, which would be really funny, but maybe not the healthiest thing design-wise at any skill level.

I really don't see any reason why it shouldn't be omni-directional though.
Eh, the limited directions are definitely arbitrary. I think it's to make the attack more distinct from the Fire Fox-like moves, and in exchange Ridley's wings are invincible and the move hits very hard.
It's just that it doesn't work all that well as a recovery. It's also too slow to use it as a finisher as well...
Since the wings are invincible I kinda use it like I would use Banjo's Wonderwing, to punish predictable attacks, but the rest of Ridley's body is still vulnerable and some attacks still hit him.
It's a decent move, it does a lot of things but nothing particularly well. Maybe it would be best in the long run to sacrifice one of its aspects (recovery/strenght/invincibility) to boost the others? Or just make It omnidirectional and call it a day.

The spikes are definitely funny, though. I looove landing those 🙏

Last edited:
Top Bottom