• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wooooooooo Nintendo Horror Game Wooooooo-

never mind :scared:
There's no confirmation at the moment.

Also, a reminder that Mercury Steam, the makers of Metroid Samus Returns 3DS and Metroid Dread, had a rocky history before those games. Like if you told people before Metroid Samus Returns that Mercury Steam, the creator of the Castlevania Lords of Shadows games, would make Metroid 5, the game after Fusion, and it would be one of the most acclaimed Metroid games, those people would try to put you into a mental asylum.
Basically, if Nintendo is in charge of development, even if the team has a rocky history, the product will more than often be a good game still.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For weeks I've been thinking about what symbols these characters would have if they came as newcomers, and there are so many of them I don't know let alone imagine. Here are the characters I mention:
Well let's see:
  • My best guess for Five Nights at Freddy's Logo would be a present, or the Puppet's mask. If they're trying to pivot away from that imagery in favor of the new stuff, then I'd guess either Helpy due to his use as an in-universe mascot, or a lightning bolt, as a lot of Faz-tech uses that symbol.
  • I feel like Kyo will use Terry's logo, as King of Fighters seems to be treated as a part of the Fatal Fury series rather than it's own branch like Yoshi and Donkey Kong, but it could get something new.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Doom's logo was just the word DOOM. Could also be a Cakodemon or something.
  • Excite would get a silhouette of the wheelie sprite from Excitebike.
That's about all I got.

EDIT: I just realized if we get Excitebiker, there's a non-zero chance of Excite Bots music!

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well let's see:
  • My best guess for Five Nights at Freddy's Logo would be a present, or the Puppet's mask. If they're trying to pivot away from that imagery in favor of the new stuff, then I'd guess either Helpy due to his use as an in-universe mascot, or a lightning bolt, as a lot of Faz-tech uses that symbol.
Nah man, it’d be Freddy’s top hat. It’s iconic!

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Also, a reminder that Mercury Steam, the makers of Metroid Samus Returns 3DS and Metroid Dread, had a rocky history before those games. Like if you told people before Metroid Samus Returns that if Mercury Steam, the creator of the Castlevania Lords of Shadows games, would make Metroid 5, the game after Fusion, and it would be one of the most acclaimed Metroid games, those people would try to put you into a mental asylum.
Basically, if Nintendo is in charge of development, even if the team has a rocky history, the product will more than often be a good game still.
Worth noting that Mercury Steam did interviews after Samus Returns that basically said "Working with Nintendo made us better developers" which when expounded upon basically read as "They told us no on a lot of early builds till we met their standards and we realized what their standards were and now we want to meet those."

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Also, a reminder that Mercury Steam, the makers of Metroid Samus Returns 3DS and Metroid Dread, had a rocky history before those games. Like if you told people before Metroid Samus Returns that Mercury Steam, the creator of the Castlevania Lords of Shadows games, would make Metroid 5, the game after Fusion, and it would be one of the most acclaimed Metroid games, those people would try to put you into a mental asylum.
I loved the Lords of Shadows games but at the time I'd have been worried about them doing that to Metroid and I'd be like nah it needs to be done by Retro.

And here we are!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Worth noting that Mercury Steam did interviews after Samus Returns that basically said "Working with Nintendo made us better developers" which when expounded upon basically read as "They told us no on a lot of early builds till we met their standards and we realized what their standards were and now we want to meet those."
I think I remember WayForward saying something similar about the Advance Wars remake, about how working with Nintendo changed their perspective on game design or something?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I think I remember WayForward saying something similar about the Advance Wars remake, about how working with Nintendo changed their perspective on game design or something?
Apparently it is the result of dealing with Nintendo if the job ends where you want to do it again.

....Still want Wayforward to make a spiritual sequel to Zelda II.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think it's funny how we've gone from arguing about whether or not horror characters (specifically the monsters) would fit in smash to "ooh Nintendo's making a horror game. I don't know anything about it but I want it in Smash!"
I think most of the concern is often in regards to the CERO/ESRB Rating rather than the horror characters portrayal. Because most people don't argue much about Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy, since RE characters like Chris and Jill were in Marvel vs Capcom.
Pyramid Head does get argued a bit, but the giant knife is hardly different from Cloud's Buster Sword, Pyramid Head has been in light-hearted crossovers like Super Bomberman R, a Konami crossover racer and in a Olympic game by Konami, and he's been in joke scenes in Silent Hill too. And he can be toned a bit down to take out a couple of his 'very mature' subjects, but enough to keep his brutality and whatnot.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Speaking of other M its really weird that there are 0 metroid plushies to my knowledge?
A Metroid larva and samus shouldnt be too unfit for a soft treatment!
Why am i saying this?
I got these:
1720634407292.png
1720634475117.png
1720634511882.png
1720634577773.png

And im already upset at the lack of Zelda Plushes i cant even imagine how metroid fans feel?

The Reasons why i got each plush are:
-The Only intersting zelda plush on that site
-For the baby of my friend
-Duh
-Wanted to get whispy but he was sold out!

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Pyramid Head is one of those characters who I probably actively wouldn't want in Smash. Unless the actual creators behind the character and the game signed off on it, I think that is so actively antithetical to Silent Hill 2 and its message and what the character means. I really dislike how Pyramid Head has been trotted out for merchandising and crossovers by Konami in general, and I can't say I think Smash would be any different. It's not a matter of the care put into the character and series at that point for me.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Pyramid Head is one of those characters who I probably actively wouldn't want in Smash. Unless the actual creators behind the character and the game signed off on it, I think that is so actively antithetical to Silent Hill 2 and its message and what the character means. I really dislike how Pyramid Head has been trotted out for merchandising and crossovers by Konami in general, and I can't say I think Smash would be any different. It's not a matter of the care put into the character and series at that point for me.
I can get the sentiment, but at this point wouldn't it be kind of a lost cause to try and preserve Pyramid Head's intentions? After all the merchening and crossovers and whatnot?

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I can get the sentiment, but at this point wouldn't it be kind of a lost cause to try and preserve Pyramid Head's intentions? After all the merchening and crossovers and whatnot?
I don't think there's much merit in pushing it further in any case is the thing, especially if like, Masahiro Ito can continue to express annoyance whenever Pyramid Head is used outside of his original context lol, even with stuff like DBD where Pyramid Head actually fits he was bothered by how they went with the design that's tied to James and not the alternate design he specifically made for "okay well if pyramid head has to be used beyond silent hill 2 at least use this one".

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's a general awkwardness to how Konami's been handling Silent Hill stuff in general. It feels like a franchise that got bigger with the western audience than the one back home over time, but it doesn't do Metal Gear numbers either. So, with an IP somewhat at odds with their Japan appeal emphasis and not necessarily guaranteed to have hug sales, they're kind of attempting to figure just how much to really do with it.

It doesn't help in general that Konami generally loves to crossover their series via stuff like Bomberman cameos and while most franchises (even Metal Gear to a degree) are light/fantastical enough to easily work for that, SH's kind of an odd one given the tone. It's like if Sony did another crossover fighter where Ellie and Joel from Last of Us were doing really goofy moves/taunts; however fine many fans would be fine with that, there'd be some who would find characters from a fairly heavy drama being used in such a fashion a bit off-putting if not disrespectful.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
There's a general awkwardness to how Konami's been handling Silent Hill stuff in general. It feels like a franchise that got bigger with the western audience than the one back home over time, but it doesn't do Metal Gear numbers either. So, with an IP somewhat at odds with their Japan appeal emphasis and not necessarily guaranteed to have hug sales, they're kind of attempting to figure just how much to really do with it.

It doesn't help in general that Konami generally loves to crossover their series via stuff like Bomberman cameos and while most franchises (even Metal Gear to a degree) are light/fantastical enough to easily work for that, SH's kind of an odd one given the tone. It's like if Sony did another crossover fighter where Ellie and Joel from Last of Us were doing really goofy moves/taunts; however fine many fans would be fine with that, there'd be some who would find characters from a fairly heavy drama being used in such a fashion a bit off-putting if not disrespectful.
I think it's also a matter that a lot of the talent who made the original games is gone, and it doesn't seem like the knowledge was necessarily passed down within Konami. There's sort of a myth that most of the Metal Gear team left with Kojima to join his studio, which isn't true, a ton of them are still at Konami and working on the MGS3 remake, but the opposite is sort of true for Team Silent. They were already sort of well known for having a rotating set of talent and not necessarily keeping all the same people, but the team has been fully disbanded for a long time now and a lot of the talent has fully dispersed. Even the members who are still at Konami aren't grouped together as a cohesive team anymore, there simply isn't the manpower for them to do a Silent Hill 2 remake on their own, which is why almost all the new projects are outsourced. It's a situation Nintendo has been in a few times, and plenty of other companies as well, and combined with the series's mixed popularity it only makes sense things are the way they are.

On the crossover topic, I think for me it just strikes a lot differently when most of the creatives behind the original games and characters who should be there to approve this stuff aren't at the company anymore. I wouldn't have many issues if they were still there and fully approved, it's their art even if a fan thinks it's tonally off and thematically inappropriate, but they aren't, and you have people like Ito actively disapproving it. It's why I think it's a lot different to something like TLOU being in a PlayStation crossover, because the original creators are still there to be involved.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, he did have a new game last year.

It... it didn't exactly do too great, but hey, he did have a new game last year.
I see. Thanks for explaining.

Though I read either the N. Sane Trilogy or Crash 4 had a lot of copies sold. I don’t remember which one, and the hype can’t possibly get back up because of it, but I do think with the number of copies sold for that Crash game, the hype for Crash could go back up, eventually.

EDIT: Here it is. It is the N. Sane Trilogy.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I see. Thanks for explaining.

Though I read either the N. Sane Trilogy or Crash 4 had a lot of copies sold. I don’t remember which one, and the hype can’t possibly get back up because of it, but I do think with the number of copies sold for that Crash game, the hype for Crash could go back up, eventually.
Oh don't get it wrong, both games did very well (N. Sane Trilogy sold over 20 million, 4 sold about 5 million). I don't think Team Rumble doing poorly would have that much of an impact considering it's just a spin off, but we are getting further and further away from those prior releases without a new mainline game, and Microsoft now owning the IP doesn't exactly help either.

Crash is certainly a big enough character to get in on his own merits, but I'm not entirely confident on him being a super likely pick at the moment. Things can absolutely change between now and a couple of years, though.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh don't get it wrong, both games did very well (N. Sane Trilogy sold over 20 million, 4 sold about 5 million). I don't think Team Rumble doing poorly would have that much of an impact considering it's just a spin off, but we are getting further and further away from those prior releases without a new mainline game, and Microsoft now owning the IP doesn't exactly help either.

Crash is certainly a big enough character to get in on his own merits, but I'm not entirely confident on him being a super likely pick at the moment. Things can absolutely change between now and a couple of years, though.
I know. I am aware of that. Thanks for pointing that out though, nonetheless.

I edited my last post with a source on the 20 million thing before you said that.

Anyway, it probably is not that source I posted before that said it, but I read that a Crash 5 is probably and hopefully in the works.

Here is the source that did say it.

Even then, I am NOT actually so confident about Crash making it in the next Smash Bros. game, especially for reasons already said by others and as of now, as much as I want the marsupial to get in.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I was thinking while Microsoft owned the IP we could face a banjo kazooie situation when the deal is easier. Why do you think Microsoft would be difficult to negotiate?
Less to do with difficult negotiations and more to do with Microsoft now having access to a bunch of other characters that have been popular requests.

I can't imagine Crash would be too hard to get, but now he has to compete with characters like Master Chief and Doom Slayer. This wasn't an issue prior to Ultimate, where it was just a matter of talking to Activision.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
This made me think about Nintendo and how like some franchises are totally in house like Pikmin but then others like Star Fox or Metroid are not.
Well, yeah. Nintendo doesn't exactly have enough hands on deck to prioritize the likes of Metroid in-house over their larger series like Mario, Zelda and Splatoon. Good Vibes Gaming made a whole video on this if you haven't watched it by now:

Last edited:
Top Bottom