• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

osby

Smash Obsessed
Of course they are most interested in the Big Booba girls!
Of Course!

Weird it isnt mario or any other main Character?
Pyra and Mythra are also the main characters of their game though.

According to the original article, people who voted for them also cited their moveset as one of their appeals. Just because a character is designed to be sexy doesn't mean that's all people like about them.

Is diddy kong really the LEAST popular over there? That's kinda crazy. I wonder if that has anything to do with him being a western developed character.
I doubt that's the main reason, as there's a pretty small difference between the votes he got compared to Peach, Simon, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You do realize a game can have more than one main character, right?
of course they can but doesn’t make them all equal

Rex is the character the story follows completely, pyra and mythra drop out of it at points. Monolith refers to him as the main character.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
This is only tangentially related to Smash, but Daisy got a Universal Studios mascot! She's one of only 7 characters to get one (alongside Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser and Yoshi). Seems weird because she's the single most superfluous and unnecessary addition to Smash, but if Nintendo were to get more corporate about the roster, she'd probably be a high priority character.

Which leads me to this question... do you guys think the higher ups at Nintendo might have more of a say on the roster instead of Sakurai this time around? He'll definitely have some role in the decision making, but perhaps not the final say. The Ultimate DLC seems to point towards that tbh.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is only tangentially related to Smash, but Daisy got a Universal Studios mascot! She's one of only 7 characters to get one (alongside Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser and Yoshi). Seems weird because she's the single most superfluous and unnecessary addition to Smash, but if Nintendo were to get more corporate about the roster, she'd probably be a high priority character.

Which leads me to this question... do you guys think the higher ups at Nintendo might have more of a say on the roster instead of Sakurai this time around? He'll definitely have some role in the decision making, but perhaps not the final say. The Ultimate DLC seems to point towards that tbh.
yeah that is a good point. Daisy is completely superfluous. I suppose Nintendo may want to maintain control or they may want even more control over the roster.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman

Nintendo could certainly try and persuade Sakurai to lean towards certain characters or options. They could also just give more vague requirements, like ‘include a new Animal Crossing character’ or ‘we need a Xenoblade echo fighter, have your pick’.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I think the "Daisy is superfluous" argument died with Wonder...

But TBH, hasn't Nintendo ALWAYS had a degree of control over Sakurai? Ultimate DLC isn't the only instance of that I'm pretty sure.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
K.Rool over Diddy is nonsense. Brawl was the time Diddy was chosen over K.Rool out of popularity, a clear cut in popularity and importance. The fact it took K.Rool so long to get in only adds to these facts. It's especially weird since K.Rool isn't showing up as much as Diddy either.

I think neither of these characters will get cut actually, and never should be considered to either. DKC only has 3 characters, all unique. All strong and important and popular characters. There's no weak link here. Unlike other franchises as Mario (Daisy, Piranha Plant, Dr.Mario) Zelda (Young Link, Sheik) Pokémon (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu) Metroid (Dark Samus, maybe even Zero Suit Samus). So therefore I don't consider any cuts in DKC sensible.

The fact that this is a choice I see so many make here is pure ignorance to me.
King K. Rool over Diddy Kong is definitely a bad decision. One is a Super Mario mascot and appears in basically every spin-off, and the other hasn't had an appearance other than Smash since the Wii. I also agree that King K. Rool isn't really a weak link in the context of the Donkey Kong franchise, as while the series has abandoned him, it also hasn't gotten very far without him, and he still retains his classic villain status.

In the wider context of Smash, he's definitely a pretty big cut, as a character well loved enough to get him in in the first place, but he's he's still an abandoned villain at this point. If when deciding upon the next roster there isn't enough room for three Donkey Kong characters, King K. Rool is the only sensible option.

Is diddy kong really the LEAST popular over there? That's kinda crazy. I wonder if that has anything to do with him being a western developed character.
Could easily have to do with a high skill ceiling and a lack of the charm he has in other games.

of course they can but doesn’t make them all equal

Rex is the character the story follows completely, pyra and mythra drop out of it at points. Monolith refers to him as the main character.
IIRC, they only ever leave the party one time, and when they do the story is still revolving around them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
View attachment 391809
6. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
7. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
8. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
9. Nightmare [Soulcalibur]
10. Kazuma Kiryu [Like a Dragon]
Okay, I just started playing River City Girls 2 yesterday and my brother and I decided to try out Riki and Kunio in this one. How would you feel if they went with those designs for Smash over their classic ones? I actually prefer their modern designs from this game. They also have completely unique movesets in RCG2 so they wouldn’t really work as alts or echoes if they based it on those games. I think Riki is my favorite of the two and he’s got cool shadow effects and clones. Kunio does have Sweet Chin Music as an up heavy though so that’s a point in his favor lol. My favorite so far is still Misako but she’s not as likely as either Riki or Kunio.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Overall, Rex is the core protagonist among the three main characters. That's what essentially is being said. Neither the first game nor the last game to do so. That's why he was considered among the moveset first. Basically in the way that Pokemon Trainer is compared to the other three Pokemon(giving commands and all). Unfortunately, that wasn't entirely plausible due to limitations. That, and I think Rex was supposed to take action beyond giving commands anyway? I forget.

But anyway, Nintendo's involvement in the DLC made sense; they're the ones who went to Sakurai to get it started. That, and Sakurai himself is getting older. Trying to maintain all the decisions is pretty damn stressful. Nintendo helping more relieves that a bit. Finally, do note that by default, a lot of decisions do need to go through Nintendo. They don't fully own Pokemon, but more importantly, some stuff Sakurai can't do with them even when being given the hard decision(sometimes) to choose who he wants overall as a character. He can only pick so many costumes. 3rd party licensing is a given on its own, but let's also note how particular they can be about costumes and representation. As Sakurai isn't the owner of Smash itself, Nintendo will have a representative there since they literally own the franchise. It makes sense they're reasonably involved. It's their game. They would always be involved anyway.

As for them helping with the roster more, it's not surprising anyway. As I said a bit before, Sakurai's getting older. That, and while Sakurai sees it more as a celebration, Nintendo is going to see business as part of it a tad more. It's their product at the end of the day, so that makes a lot of sense. Even then, it's clear they've still given him tons of control. It was already noted that if a character couldn't work, Sakurai can say "no" to it. It's implied he never said no, but all he said was nobody in Pass 1 was rejected for moveset issues. We don't know enough about Pass 2, though. Beyond Rex not being able to fully be utilized, respectively).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Overall, Rex is the core protagonist among the three main characters. That's what essentially is being said. Neither the first game nor the last game to do so. That's why he was considered among the moveset first. Basically in the way that Pokemon Trainer is compared to the other three Pokemon(giving commands and all). Unfortunately, that wasn't entirely plausible due to limitations. That, and I think Rex was supposed to take action beyond giving commands anyway? I forget.

But anyway, Nintendo's involvement in the DLC made sense; they're the ones who went to Sakurai to get it started. That, and Sakurai himself is getting older. Trying to maintain all the decisions is pretty damn stressful. Nintendo helping more relieves that a bit. Finally, do note that by default, a lot of decisions do need to go through Nintendo. They don't fully own Pokemon, but more importantly, some stuff Sakurai can't do with them even when being given the hard decision(sometimes) to choose who he wants overall as a character. He can only pick so many costumes. 3rd party licensing is a given on its own, but let's also note how particular they can be about costumes and representation. As Sakurai isn't the owner of Smash itself, Nintendo will have a representative there since they literally own the franchise. It makes sense they're reasonably involved. It's their game. They would always be involved anyway.

As for them helping with the roster more, it's not surprising anyway. As I said a bit before, Sakurai's getting older. That, and while Sakurai sees it more as a celebration, Nintendo is going to see business as part of it a tad more. It's their product at the end of the day, so that makes a lot of sense. Even then, it's clear they've still given him tons of control. It was already noted that if a character couldn't work, Sakurai can say "no" to it. It's implied he never said no, but all he said was nobody in Pass 1 was rejected for moveset issues. We don't know enough about Pass 2, though. Beyond Rex not being able to fully be utilized, respectively).
The way Rex works is that Pyra and Mythra basically stand in the background and channel to him. Depending on whether Pyra or Mythra is out, Rex’s weapon and moveset change corresponding to each of them. Pyra never really physically fights from what I remember and Mythra is only playable in the Torna expansion. So it’s not really the same as Pokemon Trainer where he gives commands to them. It’s probably closer to the reverse.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The way Rex works is that Pyra and Mythra basically stand in the background and channel to him. Depending on whether Pyra or Mythra is out, Rex’s weapon and moveset change corresponding to each of them. Pyra never really physically fights from what I remember and Mythra is only playable in the Torna expansion. So it’s not really the same as Pokemon Trainer where he gives commands to them. It’s probably closer to the reverse.
I mean how Smash would do it. At least, that's the impression I got later on with how he wanted to implement Rex.

But true, quite the opposite otherwise~

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You can command your Blades to do Blade Specials, but other than that, the driver does the fighting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean how Smash would do it. At least, that's the impression I got later on with how he wanted to implement Rex.

well from sakurai said the choices included Rex and pyra on stage at the same time or Rex with pyra appearing occasionally basically the reverse of what we got

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Rex's moveset doesn't change when swapping Pyra/Mythra since they both have greatswords, it's the other blades that change his arts and stuff. They do have different Blade Specials though.

Also, Pyra fights Malos herself in her awakening cutscene. This is likely because she's that powerful and Rex was that bad at it, but she did hold her own there.

IIRC that was a brief consideration after his initial idea didn't work, which was passed because it felt like they were snubbing Pyra. The initial idea was implied to be like the Ice Climbers, which baffles me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think the easiest and most faithful way to do it would have just been to make Rex a stance character and have either Pyra or Mythra stand in the background like Pokemon Trainer to help show what stance he’s currently in. The Final Smash and taunts could stay the same but in reverse.

Rex's moveset doesn't change when swapping Pyra/Mythra since they both have greatswords, it's the other blades that change his arts and stuff. They do have different Blade Specials though.

Also, Pyra fights Malos herself in her awakening cutscene. This is likely because she's that powerful and Rex was that bad at it, but she did hold her own there.

IIRC that was a brief consideration after his initial idea didn't work, which was passed because it felt like they were snubbing Pyra. The initial idea was implied to be like the Ice Climbers, which baffles me.
Good call on that. I beat the game but it’s been a long time so I forgot they didn’t actually give Rex different attacks beyond specials. Once I got Nia, Morag, and Zeke, I basically never used anyone else for my memory is particularly fuzzy in Rex and Tora.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, let's play a roster game: I'm gonna take the first playable reps of each series and sort them into a table:
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Marth​
Mr. Game & Watch​
Pit​
Wario​
Olimar​
R.O.B.​
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt​
Inkling​
Min Min​
Snake​
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Ryu​
Cloud​
Bayonetta​
Simon​
Joker​
Hero​
Banjo & Kazooie​
Terry​
Steve​
Kazuya​
Sora​
Mii​

Let's try building a roster for the next game around this table.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the easiest and most faithful way to do it would have just been to make Rex a stance character and have either Pyra or Mythra stand in the background like Pokemon Trainer to help show what stance he’s currently in. The Final Smash and taunts could stay the same but in reverse.

Good call on that. I beat the game but it’s been a long time so I forgot they didn’t actually give Rex different attacks beyond specials. Once I got Nia, Morag, and Zeke, I basically never used anyone else for my memory is particularly fuzzy in Rex and Tora.
I also recall sakurai saying he thought of the background appearances but decided the fans wouldn’t want that. I think it was in their showcase I’m not 100% sure

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, let's play a roster game: I'm gonna take the first playable reps of each series and sort them into a table:
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Marth​
Mr. Game & Watch​
Pit​
Wario​
Olimar​
R.O.B.​
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt​
Inkling​
Min Min​
Snake​
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Ryu​
Cloud​
Bayonetta​
Simon​
Joker​
Hero​
Banjo & Kazooie​
Terry​
Steve​
Kazuya​
Sora​
Mii​

Just for something for people to keep in mind;

Mii Fighters are specifically Smash Bros. representatives. A Generic Mii is not playable under the normal Mii Franchise. While they somewhat are treated as both, it's still a SSB character. That's not saying it should've been, but that's pretty much their hard spot now.

Anyway, I don't have the brain energy for a full list, but I can do at least one franchise;

The Legend of Zelda: Link, Sheik, Zelda, Ganondorf, Young Link(unless they add a fourth Link based upon the new artstyle, anyway. They actually do use Young Link to represent the very specific Switch remake design, so he's possibly the more relevant one. Otherwise, Toon Link. I doubt we're keeping both Child Links, but one'll still be there).

Minor other notes I can think of quickly: Richter was part of the same reveal as Simon, so they're both essentially first(they were intended to come together anyway. It's actually quite important to note that we weren't going to get one or the other. Both were chosen so we had a good one for the East and West to latch onto. Alucard was the first considered otherwise). Villager and Isabelle are both locks for next game.

I also recall sakurai saying he thought of the background appearances but decided the fans wouldn’t want that. I think it was in their showcase I’m not 100% sure
That must've been where I got the impression, heh.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's a Rivals of Aether mod for Zeke & Pandoria that's essentially just how Rex & Pyra should have worked. The Affinity Tether(TM) fills up a meter that powers up your attacks so long as you are close enough to each other. For this purpose, Pandoria can keep up with Zeke's walking speed, and has a little bit of AI allowing her to jump back on stage if she needs to. She can't keep up with his run speed however, so running after your enemies will probably result in your meter going down a tad. However, Zeke isn't really a high mobility character, so the radius is big enough for you to effectively play neutral. You're main concern there is getting hit.

Down Special swaps to Pandoria, who has a half moveset consisting of Blade Specials that chain into and out of Zeke's attacks. While swapped to Pandoria, you can move her around to position her attacks, and after using a Blade Special, you automatically swap back to Zeke for easier combos.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
There's a Rivals of Aether mod for Zeke & Pandoria that's essentially just how Rex & Pyra should have worked. The Affinity Tether(TM) fills up a meter that powers up your attacks so long as you are close enough to each other. For this purpose, Pandoria can keep up with Zeke's walking speed, and has a little bit of AI allowing her to jump back on stage if she needs to. She can't keep up with his run speed however, so running after your enemies will probably result in your meter going down a tad. However, Zeke isn't really a high mobility character, so the radius is big enough for you to effectively play neutral. You're main concern there is getting hit.

Down Special swaps to Pandoria, who has a half moveset consisting of Blade Specials that chain into and out of Zeke's attacks. While swapped to Pandoria, you can move her around to position her attacks, and after using a Blade Special, you automatically swap back to Zeke for easier combos.
Now imagine 8 of those things frying up your Switch.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Mine changes from time to time but here’s my current top 10 as of right now:

1) Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
2) Magus (Chrono Trigger)
3) Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
4) Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
5) Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)
6) Vi (League of Legends)
7) Zero (Mega Man)
8) Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
9) Gengar (Pokémon)
10) Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think they might just do Ultimate's routine over again, where Nintendo is only explicitly choosing the characters for DLC and Sakurai gets to pick most of the base roster. Although I feel like Nintendo may have particular requests / mandates about which veterans should stick around - even if it's just a small list, there are probably a select few characters they're not going to let them cut. So perhaps one of those characters Nintendo would want them to hold onto is Daisy, depending on how big that list of characters may be. Personally I see her sticking around either way.

Otherwise I think Nintendo will nudge Sakurai in certain directions, but will give him the final say. For all we know, that may be how it's worked up to this point anyway - and Sakurai apparently had the power to veto the choices he didn't think were feasible during DLC, too. I'm sure Nintendo has some input on which games are most important at the moment, which series may have a future and that would further validate some characters under consideration. Or discourage Sakurai from pursuing another who has no identifiable future.

Like, I don't think Nintendo would have let Sakurai make Smash Ultimate without Inkling. This time around they may strongly advise him to add Octoling and another Animal Crossing character, to keep Smash in line with their largest brands. I think that's a pretty reasonable thing to believe, although I think otherwise they'll be pretty hands off and let him do his thing up until those big collaborations get involved again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think they might just do Ultimate's routine over again, where Nintendo is only explicitly choosing the characters for DLC and Sakurai gets to pick most of the base roster. Although I feel like Nintendo may have particular requests / mandates about which veterans should stick around - even if it's just a small list, there are probably a select few characters they're not going to let them cut. So perhaps one of those characters Nintendo would want them to hold onto is Daisy, depending on how big that list of characters may be. Personally I see her sticking around either way.

Otherwise I think Nintendo will nudge Sakurai in certain directions, but will give him the final say. For all we know, that may be how it's worked up to this point anyway - and Sakurai apparently had the power to veto the choices he didn't think were feasible during DLC, too. I'm sure Nintendo has some input on which games are most important at the moment, which series may have a future and that would further validate some characters under consideration. Or discourage Sakurai from pursuing another who has no identifiable future.

Like, I don't think Nintendo would have let Sakurai make Smash Ultimate without Inkling. This time around they may strongly advise him to add Octoling and another Animal Crossing character, to keep Smash in line with their largest brands. I think that's a pretty reasonable thing to believe, although I think otherwise they'll be pretty hands off and let him do his thing up until those big collaborations get involved again.
In any case, Sakurai isn't someone who'll randomly add characters solely based on his likes. He showed in the past that he knew he's making a product for Nintendo and knows the importance of cross-promotion.

I can't see him pushing out big names or series entirely or neglecting the new releases. Actually, I think the main difference in a Nintendo-selected roster would be the lack of out-of-the-wall picks and guest fighters - and maybe how side characters/echoes are picked.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can't see him pushing out big names or series entirely or neglecting the new releases. Actually, I think the main difference in a Nintendo-selected roster would be the lack of out-of-the-wall picks and guest fighters - and maybe how side characters/echoes are picked.
I agree, and I think that's one of his strengths in this role. He can structure a roster that feels suited to whatever Nintendo is doing at that point in time, but will make more unorthodox design choices or subversive characters choices that still make it surprising. Like Bowser Jr using the Clown Car, or opting for Robin over Chrom for variety sake. Let alone someone like Wii Fit Trainer. He's got a very masterful way of celebrating Nintendo history, largely building off their recent activity and avoiding making it feel like going through the motions.

And for the record, I'm sure Sakurai would have added Inkling either way. I'm just saying if he DIDN'T have Inkling in that project plan, Nintendo probably would have strongly advised him to do so. There are certain mandates I believe Nintendo would put in place if Sakurai went really out of control and started cutting major characters, but I'm sure they never really have to execute them because it's so obvious just to bring those characters back anyway.

So I'm with you on that, although it's funny to imagine a scenario where Sakurai just has his hands completely tied. The closest we've heard to anything like that is how Nintendo kept "encouraging" him to add Steve, although I'm certain that was played up for comedic effect.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Nintendo would have the final say in everything I would think since Sakurai is literally working for them. He's under contract, so I guess there could be some amount of creative control negotiated through that, but of course any of this would be agreed to by Nintendo from the start.

However, it seems like there is a great deal of trust from both ends, so he is probably granted quite a bit of freedom with the understanding that he'll pretty much respect their wishes on his own.

From what we know and how I understand it, it seems like Sakurai drafts a proposal, which includes the roster, and Nintendo approves/disapproves. Though it is unclear to me how much instruction/feedback/discussion goes on before, after, or during the drafting of this plan.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I don’t think my Top 10 changes very often ‘cause I don’t play a too wide variety of games, but I think this is it. Tried to avoid double-dipping for series and tried to go for more mainstream ideas rather than things like Loki for Fire Emblem or Beedle for Zelda.

1. Master Kohga (The Legend of Zelda)
2. Toadette (Super Mario)
3. Off the Hook (Splatoon)
4. Zagreus (Hades)
5. Alear (Fire Emblem)
6. Nabbit (Super Mario)
7. Red (Angry Birds)
8. Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
9. Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong)
10. Ghost Gang (Pac-Man)

Honorable mentions to Impa, Cap’n Cuttlefish, Octoling, Anna, Midna, Balloon Fighter, Dixie, BWD, Chorus Kids, Excitebiker and Magolor.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, I just started playing River City Girls 2 yesterday and my brother and I decided to try out Riki and Kunio in this one. How would you feel if they went with those designs for Smash over their classic ones?
It's not my preference. The other design is the one they've used in, like, 50 games.

But if it gets them into Smash, I'll take any design I can get.

All of them?

And I don't even mean that as an EiH thing. It's only 40 characters. Any Smash game could easily support all of them.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's not my preference. The other design is the one they've used in, like, 50 games.

But if it gets them into Smash, I'll take any design I can get.

All of them?

And I don't even mean that as an EiH thing. It's only 40 characters. Any Smash game could easily support all of them.
Geez, there’s that many River City games? I wonder if there’s a way to get both designs in as alts. The classic designs would have to be a bit more realistically proportioned than usual and less Chibi but it should be possible. Do either of them play like they do in River City Girls in other games? I am enjoying their movesets and I think they’d translate almost perfectly to Smash. You’ve already got directional specials and Smash attacks, a neutral combo, grabs, pummels, and throws as well as a different aerial attacks.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Marth​
Mr. Game & Watch​
Pit​
Wario​
Olimar​
R.O.B.​
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt​
Inkling​
Min Min​
Snake​
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Ryu​
Cloud​
Bayonetta​
Simon​
Joker​
Hero​
Banjo & Kazooie​
Terry​
Steve​
Kazuya​
Sora​
Mii​

Perhaps you could make an argument to bundle the third parties with their parent company. For example, Sonic is the primary Sega character, Ryu for Capcom, Pac-Man for Bandai Namco, etc.

Other than that, this is just the basics. Weirdly enough, with so much diversity across many series, it’s… not as exciting. Everyone has already seen the Mario V Sonic, or Link V Cloud matchups.

This is why I think supplemental picks for many series are great, especially for Nintendo’s bigger names. Stuff like Ridley V Isabelle, essentially.

A wider variety of recurring fan-favourites like Luigi, Or Ganondorf? Bring them in.

Characters from different entries with rotating casts, such as Fire Emblem, Pokémon, and Xenoblade? They’re unique, and have their own merits to be included.

I think it might be okay to sacrifice the scope of multiple series in favour of depth of a dozen of series with extras going into the next game.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Marth​
Mr. Game & Watch​
Pit​
Wario​
Olimar​
R.O.B.​
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt​
Inkling​
Min Min​
Snake​
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Ryu​
Cloud​
Bayonetta​
Simon​
Joker​
Hero​
Banjo & Kazooie​
Terry​
Steve​
Kazuya​
Sora​
Mii​

Smash Bros. if the first party franchises were treated the same as the third party DLC franchises.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Marth​
Mr. Game & Watch​
Pit​
Wario​
Olimar​
R.O.B.​
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt​
Inkling​
Min Min​
Snake​
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Ryu​
Cloud​
Bayonetta​
Simon​
Joker​
Hero​
Banjo & Kazooie​
Terry​
Steve​
Kazuya​
Sora​
Mii​

Interesting... I'm actually curious to know if ALL these franchises even return.

Top Bottom