• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I definitely feel the idea was considered but not seen as feasible.

Especially since Sakurai is (supposedly) on record for having been thinking on how to feature Mega Mewtwo (Y) during development.

Yeah, if it was feasible, it would've been base. At least, that's the impression I get. Though I'm glad we got more characters, if, for whatever reason, another character couldn't make it in because Mewtwo did.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
re: Min Min, I think people are vastly underestimating how much sense it makes to bring this character back.

I have a gut feeling that all three of the first party DLC characters (excluding Plant, since that's kind of a special case) may as well return. It's likely that we'll be losing a fair number of other DLC characters for one reason or another, since they're third party, but there's little reason to part ways with the first party newcomers.
Well the reason would be a notably reduced number of total spots.

Many people agree that the next roster will, and probably should, highlight what the previous console generation had to offer.
I don't agree with this. At least not in terms of console beginning to end being the partition. I think previous Smash games did because they didn't have much if any DLC, so there was a much greater span of time between roster selection periods, and therefore a generation of content to cover.

There are still a good many titles which came out too late to be major DLC - basically everything mid-2019 and afterwards - and which will likely make up a good portion of the base content, but stuff from before then has already been covered.

Byleth, Min Min and Pyra / Mythra got us a head start on that which otherwise would not have been feasible. As it currently stands Min Min is the newest IP represented in Smash... that's a very valuable thing to lose.
Well one, not if Nintendo doesn't plan to use the IP. ARMS as an IP is probably among the least valuable on the roster.

And two, there will probably be a newer IP in the next Smash, like Ring Fit. So ARMS... would be the second, potentially third newest IP. Which... isn't that profound.

Simply put, if you're going to put characters like Ring Fit Trainee and Officer Howard on your roster there is zero reason that Min Min shouldn't be there with them, period. These two are pretty much in the exact same state of limbo as ARMS is.
The difference is that those two are still in the window Smash would look back towards when compiling base - they happened since the previous round of character inclusion. ARMS has elapsed outside that window, because its window was when Ultimate's DLC was being decided.

It will have gone one cycle without any updates. Because the cycle isn't system to system, it's based on developments during the interim of Smash's selection phase to next selection phase. If it was system to system, Ultimate should've continued to include Wii U and 3DS characters instead of ones like Min Min, Byleth and Pyra/Mythra, and saved them for Smash 6.

But each selection period looks back at what's happened since the last. ARMS hasn't happened since the last. Ring Fit and Astral Chain have.

Not to mention these are some of the last characters the team would have worked on, so (like it or not) these characters could probably be brought in largely unchanged.
Right but if things were based on ease, clones would be the least likely to be cut, assuming their base returned. But that's not how it goes.

I also think we need to start easing up on seniority and past priority as some law of the land. For now I understand, because it's one of the only definitive things we have to point to. But I think continuing to say "this character has been around since Melee / Brawl, they'll get in over x or y" is unsustainable, or will at least make the series very stagnant moving forward. I'm willing to do away with a handful of series staples in favor of new faces, or giving newbies from Smash 4 or Ultimate another chance instead. Cycling out the new faces every game just to make way for the same 30-40 old ones is gonna get stale, and new characters will continue to enter the fray as mainstays. I can't tell you how Sakurai and Co will choose to handle this but I don't think it's a tried and true defense anymore.
I sort of agree, insofar as I think characters will be cut despite seniority and past priority, but not insofar as I don't think those things are still factors. I just think the quantity of cuts will demand verging into exclusions that were previously considered safer.

I think some of the new additions will remain - Inkling, Ridley, Isabelle. I hope K. Rool sticks around, and I think there's a good chance he will. The thing about Incineroar, Byleth and Pyra/Mythra is in addition to being recent, they were added in part to coincide with a then-current release. The absence of that reasoning will weaken their cases, as will the fact that all three of those series will likely expand, and that two already have a lot of characters. Not that I'm saying they'll definitely be cut (though I don't have high hopes for big fire cat), I actually think Byleth is likelier than Corrin and at least one of the Marth clones - just that I don't think any of them are safe.

And it's not even because Min Min is new that I think she's in a tenuous situation, it's that ARMS is small for a series in Smash - it has one game and it did good but not amazing - and it hasn't had anything since it got included. I do think seniority is also a factor, but by no means the only, or even biggest one. If there are sizeable cuts, there are just a lot of other options that outclass her. But if ARMS returns, it's a completely different story.

The new third-parties I have no clue how many we keep, other than definitely not all. I could see losing half of them, but there's a big plus/minus window of plausibility either way imo.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
So do you guys feel the roster is going to be slightly smaller than Ultimate, slightly bigger, or modified to a Wii U/3DS number?
My prediction scrapes up to being just slightly larger than launch day Ultimate, and even then that count is padded by seven echoes and Mii Fighters. For what it's worth, I don't see the launch day veteran count being anywhere above 60, though I'm wagering it'll be around the 55-58 mark.
My justification comes mainly from some assumptions; that a decent number of the newcomers I'm predicting will be based off of pre-existing data (either from other fighters or from Assist Trophies), that stage development will be almost exclusively focused on brand new stages (with the grand majority of past stages already having relatively up-to-date data thanks to the bulk of them being remade for Ultimate), and that there won't be a "story" mode for the game (though this one's more just me being biased towards wanting Smash Run and variants of it to replace Adventure Mode outright).
I've been pretty confident that regardless of what happens, there's going to be a lot more focus on post-launch content this time around, so outside of a freak "built-from-scratch" outcome, I'd wager the end total will at least slightly scrape past Ultimate's end total.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I just mean if seniority wasn't a favorable factor for priority, if vets were prioritized simply based on who they were, their non-Smash resume and their stature (and their originality), I don't think Jigglypuff would have perfect attendance.

And yeah other newer characters got priority over Jiggs, who in the past has been a low priority character - but that's only an indictment of the character's case. None of the other O12 have ever been at risk of being cut, apart from Ness, who was going to get a direct replacement. It's not like we would've received Igglybuff in Jigglypuff's absence.

If seniority didn't aid characters, and she was deprived of that boon, it's possible priority would've been cast differently, and she'd have been edged out.
Yeah I agree that if Jigglypuff weren't a vet then it probably wouldn't have gotten into Melee, Brawl, etc. What I was contesting is saying Jigglypuff being in more games than other vets who did get cut is what saved it. I guess idk if by "seniority" you just meant "having been in Smash before at all" or "having been in Smash for longer than X other character."

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
I can promise you it would be much more disappointing if none of them came back. I’m sorry but it’s a really bad excuse. It’s not defensible to be saying this and adding Sol either - I like Sol, I think he’d be a great add, but we’re talking about cutting Ryu here. He was literally in Smash 4 AND in Ultimate base (obviously) without Kazuya and Terry already.

Some really interesting priorities here. Can’t say I understand why Pit isn’t there but Palutena is, but I kind of respect the audacity lol. Cutting Diddy, Meta Knight and Ridley is pretty ridiculous too but honestly I don’t feel like hounding on you for it. I know you’re working under pretty strict slot restrictions. I think I’d be pretty damn upset if ZSS got added back and Ridley didn’t, though. And I love K. Rool but I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to keep him without Diddy.

Mr. Game & Watch and Little Mac are pretty notable losses too. I’d probably trade one of the seven Pokemon to see one of these sole series representatives come back, personally. If it’s a 50 character roster then that’s a lot of space for any single series to be taking… for perspective, that’s technically a smaller roster than Smash 4 base.
-Yeah, you're right about Ryu... I just personally don't play him so didn't prioritize him. I'd cut Suicune and maybe Crash/Lucario to add in Ryu and Chun Li (Personally I'd prioritize Chun over Kazuya or Terry, or even Ken tbh)
-I kept Palu over Pit because my third eye peered beyond the veil and I saw that was what's going to happen. If you cant see my vision then sorry not sorry.
-K Rool over Diddy, I only had room for one and while I think 'seniority' is important, the problem with taking a 'last hired first fired' approach is that eventually you just end up with brawl's roster plus a few third parties. I agree that diddy is more important from the perspective of the DK franchise, but I decided to keep the newer guy instead.
-About ZSS, I've said before in this thread that I think she is important not just for representing her series but because she is one of the only 'realistically proportioned female martial artists that don't use magic'. Her and Captain Falcon I'd say are locks just because they are the most 'normal' fighters. Sakurai gets a lot of use out of them, like how falc was the base for the fighting polygon team, and if they continue to do stuff like spirit battles I think it would be important to have a more generic character that can fit many roles. I dunno this is just me trying to guess how sakurai would see the roster.
-I think Game and Watch and Rob are important to the cast because they are very beginner friendly, G&W's randomness especially being something beginners latch onto because it lets them sometimes do cool stuff without trying too hard. I think whether or not they get in is based entirely on if they have suitable replacements in terms of beginner friendliness.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
The idea of "it was going to be in base".

We have absolutely no source that says Mewtwo would have been part of the base roster.

Furthermore the 50-Facts Extravaganza mentions nothing about the data being too old.

Rather, it was a Famitsu article in September 2014 (before Mewtwo) talking about bringing back characters from Melee in general being more difficult due to the aged data, with no direct mention of Mewtwo specifically for obvious reasons.
In fact, don't we have direct evidence that Mewtwo wasn't going to be in Smash 4's base game? Sakurai was pretty vocal about not withholding base game content for DLC during the pre-Smash 4 days. There was an interview where he said that if Smash 4 were to have DLC, it'd be worked on after the base game, and that they wouldn't intentionally postpone content for post-launch support. Which means Mewtwo was maybe considered during the planning stages, but developed after the fact.

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
You have said there were ESRB / CERO changes. Is this true?

Would characters like Snake, Simon, Bayonetta and Joker seriously be in danger of being cut?
This was a few years ago, after base Ult but during dlc, but if an M rated franchise is included in a crossover then that will bump up the rating of the game. That's why for certain mii fighter costumes they said "smash X (character name)" instead of "smash x (series name)", because those series are M rated.
There was some discussion about this on the smash reddit when it happened.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
-I kept Palu over Pit because my third eye peered beyond the veil and I saw that was what's going to happen. If you cant see my vision then sorry not sorry.
I think your third eye needs glasses

-K Rool over Diddy, I only had room for one and while I think 'seniority' is important, the problem with taking a 'last hired first fired' approach is that eventually you just end up with brawl's roster plus a few third parties. I agree that diddy is more important from the perspective of the DK franchise, but I decided to keep the newer guy instead.
Keep in mind Diddy is also more popular and actually shows up not just in most DK games, but in a number of Mario spin-offs as well.

People don't really pay that much attention to him in Smash these days but he's definitely the kind of character that will get very popular if he's cut. I mean, he was a popular request since Melee.

-About ZSS, I've said before in this thread that I think she is important not just for representing her series but because she is one of the only 'realistically proportioned female martial artists that don't use magic'. Her and Captain Falcon I'd say are locks just because they are the most 'normal' fighters.
Those aren't real quotas though.

Also there are a number of other realistically proportioned female characters you can include, if that's an important distinction.

Sakurai gets a lot of use out of them, like how falc was the base for the fighting polygon team, and if they continue to do stuff like spirit battles I think it would be important to have a more generic character that can fit many roles. I dunno this is just me trying to guess hoe sakurai would see the roster.
Well he wouldn't keep a character because of their use as a polygon/wireframe/alloy/etc enemy. Those are even a thing anymore. The Miis have served that purpose for the last two games anyway, and they're not going anywhere.

This was a few years ago, after base Ult but during dlc, but if an M rated franchise is included in a crossover then that will bump up the rating of the game. That's why for certain mii fighter costumes they said "smash X (character name)" instead of "smash x (series name)", because those series are M rated.
The character can still be included, but it doesn't seem like the series' branding or name can be included.

So the M-rated characters don't have to be cut, but it would pose complications as to how they were handled.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
See, I've heard this. It makes sense.

But I've never seen any direct proof that this is what happened. Is there proof?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
While an interesting idea, my guess is that it would eliminate what makes Pikmin interesting, the fact you have a variety for puzzles. But him using new Pikmin(Rock and others later introduced, even Bulbmin) would heavily make him his own thing.

I doubt Alph would've only used Rock Pikmin in the first place. That requires a lot more work to balance(due to now having a very specific heavyweight only Pikmin) it out from Olimar, but having Purple Pikmin replaced by Rock Pikmin instead would only change a small part of the moveset, but add new layers as the way the niche works is changed up. It wouldn't be as much as Lucina's change either, but she also didn't have majorly changed animations to make it work. Just a removal of the Tipper mechanic(which is not a simple change either though).

Remember how you could get exclusively Purple Pikmin with Olimar in Home-Run Contest? This entirely makes it a specific focus on power attacks, with no other possible strategy(or resistances and weaknesses, respectively). So while it obviously wouldn't be as notable as Lucina is(who before Chrom and Ken, was the most changed up in terms of what is considered an Echo. Chrom is only slightly more different, and Ken tops the charts), it would still change up the tactics. Besides that, it would adhere more to the simplicity of a last minute clone with the resources given.

The real question is why the Rock Pikmin were scrapped. It could be because of a new model, or because of what niche it would easily have from Purple Pikmin, or no clear ideas on how to really separate Alph but still have an easy time making a fun moveset that doesn't take way too long. And it has to be balanced against the original(which means they're going to share a huge amount of animations). The other thing is, Pikmin & Captain is the Character. That means each Pikmin is also important. So while this can still work as Rock Pikmin & Alph, it's just that it's too different from the original for the intention. So it'd make more sense if only one Pikmin was changed out, making balance easier. But yeah, it's too bad nothing went anywhere. That could've been a fun difference.
While I do still hope Pikmin gets more 'acknowledged' reps in the future, I have to admit that these some pretty fair points as to why Pikmin hasn't expanded on the playable character front at the moment...

Say, if no one minds, I've been wanting to ask... what do you think your most-wanted character would do as an Assist Trophy character?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In fact, don't we have direct evidence that Mewtwo wasn't going to be in Smash 4's base game? Sakurai was pretty vocal about not withholding base game content for DLC during the pre-Smash 4 days. There was an interview where he said that if Smash 4 were to have DLC, it'd be worked on after the base game, and that they wouldn't intentionally postpone content for post-launch support. Which means Mewtwo was maybe considered during the planning stages, but developed after the fact.
To be fair, a comment like that is most likely PR speak. On disc DLC was a huge controversial issue back then. A lot of companies made statements like that when they were planning DLC the whole time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I do still hope Pikmin gets more 'acknowledged' reps in the future, I have to admit that these some pretty fair points as to why Pikmin hasn't expanded on the playable character front at the moment...

Say, if no one minds, I've been wanting to ask... what do you think your most-wanted character would do as an Assist Trophy character?
Hmm. For Brian(Quest 64), I imagine he'd use at least one spell of Fire, Earth, Water, and Wind. Which ones is hard to say. He has massive variety(though the game is small) overall. We have spells that can temporarily freeze someone in place(via ice or using an invisible ring of sorts), spells that can silence(so prevent special moves for a bit?), defensive buffs, offensive buffs, a spell that can remove a buff(non-passive, obviously. So it would take down a reflector after one hit, but being a projectile, would still reflect it first. Or it could de-buff Shulk's stances since those are temporarily, etc), and just general damage stuff that's close by or overall projectiles(close-by spells are more like jabs/Smash attacks in practice, but there's some cases where it is still more projectile-like). ...You can tell he fares better in design as playable than an AT due to the way his gameplay works.

And yeah, I hope we get more content. I'd love a second unique character with the tons of different Pikmin too. That's what makes it so fun. The variety~ IMO, anyway.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
-About ZSS, I've said before in this thread that I think she is important not just for representing her series but because she is one of the only 'realistically proportioned female martial artists that don't use magic'. Her and Captain Falcon I'd say are locks just because they are the most 'normal' fighters. Sakurai gets a lot of use out of them, like how falc was the base for the fighting polygon team, and if they continue to do stuff like spirit battles I think it would be important to have a more generic character that can fit many roles. I dunno this is just me trying to guess how sakurai would see the roster.
I respect this angle a lot actually, although I don't think this alone assures ZSS as a "lock" particularly. Personally I'm predicting Chun-Li for next game so even if this was something Sakurai valued, there's a much more popular female martial artist that I think is very likely to show up. And besides, why doesn't this logic apply to Sheik? I actually feel like the two have a fair bit in common. I know one is more explicitly ninja themed, but at that point we're punishing the more interesting character for being more interesting lol.

But I want to say about ZSS, even though she fulfills this gameplay niche, I would hope this process involves balancing out the importance of both gameplay essence and character essence. From a gameplay perspective, ZSS is unique. Plenty of characters are, but I digress. From a character perspective, she is not - and by this I mean she's just Samus, but in a more subjective light I don't believe she does Samus justice at all. I admit my bias, but I do not think she's a valuable character scaled up against other equally unique but vastly more dynamic characters that she would be placing over.

That doesn't necessarily correlate to likelihood. I cut ZSS from my rosters, partially because I'd rather that happen. She's the one addition that I'll be pretty open about disliking. Realistically I think it's more 50/50 - granted, I think Ridley is far more likely to return either way. He was a headlining newcomer for Ultimate... hell, pretty much the headlining newcomer for Ultimate, and is arguably more significant and more of a consistent player to the Metroid series than the Zero Suit is. I know being able to see Samus outside of the suit is valued for some, but personally I don't think it ever needed to be more than a victory screen.

...Anyway, I guess the bottom line is that if you're condensing the roster that hard, people will value being able to play as their favorite characters more than ever. Those who love Samus will have Samus either way... it just doesn't feel like an efficient use of space, when plenty of other unique, valuable archetypes are being tossed by the wayside already.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, Sakurai doesn't care one bit about "they're the same character/person" and it has no real relevance to returning a character or not. She also is not in any way keeping Samus from being good. Samus was dwindling down and doing only moderately okay at best from the original game. Even if ZSS wasn't there, her tier setting would still be highly low because her moveset hasn't gotten any buffs on its own merits.

Zero Suit Samus is a consistently returning veteran and extremely popular. She's not in any real danger. Regular Samus absolutely needs buffs, though. She was not doing well as is due to a massive increase in characters who outshine her while she's barely gotten any updates. This could be because it's hard to update her without changing her core gameplay(she may always be in a bad spot competitively for all we know) alone. He could see her moveset as doing exactly what it's meant to do and doesn't see a need for a change.

ZSS doesn't have this issue because she has a good moveset that compliments the game better. She's fast, and hits hard enough for the purpose. Not unlike Fox, Sheik, and so on. And none of them are in any real danger either. Besides that, as noted, veteran seniority matters a lot. This massively boosts their popularity as a character choice. Characters from a new franchise in an uncertain future that just came in? They're not going to be in the best potential spot. This also doesn't apply to every one-off, especially if their reasons are more unique(IC's being the Retro Rep matters a lot more than anything else, for instance), but we can't honestly say for many others. A lot of new characters in Ultimate cannot be said to be in the same position. Albeit, for the most part, there's actually few newcomers overall that are in an uncertain future situation.

If you want an interesting one otherwise, Dr. Mario was never meant to be cut in any game. He's relatively safe due to that alone. Brawl was a special case and mainly because Sonic's inclusion didn't work out super well as intended. He was meant to be started wayyyyyyyy earlier. That threw a wrench in the plans. This also applies to Roy and others, but do note that the clones may simply be included faster due to ease of work. Mewtwo may still not have made it in.

I heard of quest 64 in smash remix why this game never saw a remake prequel or remaster?
It's owned by Imagineeer, who doesn't care about it anymore. That's it.

...Also, it got a demake for the GBC and a Puzzle Game, so it did continue. The Trademark for Quest 64 also lasted only a year, so... it's clear it's just "not that popular" of a choice to keep going quickly. Besides that, Imagineer planned a sequel, but they went bankrupt before it could go anywhere(they're back now, but that's worth noting).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Interesting replies I've been seeing here. Characters like Cloud and Link seem to be the most common answers

Now... Who do you think are the least played characters in the game?
It's Zero Suit Samus. I've already answered this. :p

No, but I'd imagine it's one of the characters that feel terrible until you hit their skill floor. Banjo & Kazooie is probably the least popular (overall, not in the Smash community) of that crowd, so my guess would be them.

See, I've heard this. It makes sense.

But I've never seen any direct proof that this is what happened. Is there proof?
I'm sure you could find the documentation if you looked hard enough, but there are examples of removing M rated logos from crossovers that aren't M rated. Fall Guys X Doom is the one I've seen, though oddly certain news outlets have a variant of the trailer that does have that tagline, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

Yeah, Sakurai doesn't care one bit about "they're the same character/person" and it has no real relevance to returning a character or not. She also is not in any way keeping Samus from being good. Samus was dwindling down and doing only moderately okay at best from the original game. Even if ZSS wasn't there, her tier setting would still be highly low because her moveset hasn't gotten any buffs on its own merits.

Zero Suit Samus is a consistently returning veteran and extremely popular. She's not in any real danger. Regular Samus absolutely needs buffs, though. She was not doing well as is due to a massive increase in characters who outshine her while she's barely gotten any updates. This could be because it's hard to update her without changing her core gameplay(she may always be in a bad spot competitively for all we know) alone. He could see her moveset as doing exactly what it's meant to do and doesn't see a need for a change.
Wait, Samus is bad in Ultimate?

If you want an interesting one otherwise, Dr. Mario was never meant to be cut in any game. He's relatively safe due to that alone. Brawl was a special case and mainly because Sonic's inclusion didn't work out super well as intended. He was meant to be started wayyyyyyyy earlier. That threw a wrench in the plans. This also applies to Roy and others, but do note that the clones may simply be included faster due to ease of work. Mewtwo may still not have made it in.
The delay with Sonic was what caused the forbidden 7? Huh. What a twist!

The more you know...Also, Dr. Mario was going to be a costume in SSB4, which technically means he was going to be cut, and they just decided against it mid-development. However, the reason why Sakurai changed his mind was because he didn't want to make Dr. Mario fans sad, so he really does view same character fighters as entirely separate from each other.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait, Samus is bad in Ultimate?
Oh, right, I forgot she was reasonably buffed beforehand. Which is why I don't get the complaints about ZSS. ...It had no effect on her placement. Samus went from D tier to A tier in one game's time. That's pretty good. ZSS went from A to A-. They jumped about the same amount of spaces give or take. That said, ZSS is still widely popular, the other point being made. She's still good by all means.

The delay with Sonic was what caused the forbidden 7? Huh. What a twist!
Fun fact: Dixie Kong wasn't getting in due to her combination with Diddy not working around. Sonic however did cause delays for the rest, which explains why 6 others didn't make it in(but it's not that they all would've made it in anyway. We had whoever Pra_Mai was, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and then some returning Veterans who already had the data to be created much more easily).

The more you know...Also, Dr. Mario was going to be a costume in SSB4, which technically means he was going to be cut, and they just decided against it mid-development. However, the reason why Sakurai changed his mind was because he didn't want to make Dr. Mario fans sad, so he really does view same character fighters as entirely separate from each other.
This is also notable, because if Dr. Mario was already in Brawl... he wouldn't have been remade into a costume in 4 first. He'd already have updated data and just be easy to quickly put in. That's part of why the costume worked at first. They had outdated data but still an easy model and just needed quick textures.

That said, Lucina's a more notable one because she didn't share the same model proportions with Marth originally. They shrunk her down enough to be a costume, but then decided to split her. So she's an actual special case among those clones. Then again, Dr. Mario's the only vet. And Dark Pit is the only literal clone. I guess you could say their circumstances were unique~

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That said, Lucina's a more notable one because she didn't share the same model proportions with Marth originally. They shrunk her down enough to be a costume, but then decided to split her. So she's an actual special case among those clones. Then again, Dr. Mario's the only vet. And Dark Pit is the only literal clone. I guess you could say their circumstances were unique~
Are you talking about in their original games or in Smash specifically? Interestingly, Lucina is marginally shorter than Marth in SSB4, but this difference was reverted in Ultimate.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Are you talking about in their original games or in Smash specifically? Interestingly, Lucina is marginally shorter than Marth in SSB4, but this difference was reverted in Ultimate.
Original games. And it makes sense they made it closer. It's faster to make the Echo stuff work when there's less differences. Funny how the change that made her model similar happened in the game that Lucina has a much more different metagame now. The irony is apt~

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, who’s the male character from Shantae swinging his **** around and getting in Smash before the titular character?
I don't think Shantae has male characters.

So do you guys feel the roster is going to be slightly smaller than Ultimate, slightly bigger, or modified to a Wii U/3DS number?
EiH2!

I heard of quest 64 while playing smash remix why this game never saw a remake, prequel or remaster?
Probably because it wasn't very good. In fact it was kind of a punchline when comparing RPGs on the PS1 and RPGs on the N64.

I played through it when it was new. Only part I like was the magic system.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
K.Rool over Diddy is nonsense. Brawl was the time Diddy was chosen over K.Rool out of popularity, a clear cut in popularity and importance. The fact it took K.Rool so long to get in only adds to these facts. It's especially weird since K.Rool isn't showing up as much as Diddy either.

I think neither of these characters will get cut actually, and never should be considered to either. DKC only has 3 characters, all unique. All strong and important and popular characters. There's no weak link here. Unlike other franchises as Mario (Daisy, Piranha Plant, Dr.Mario) Zelda (Young Link, Sheik) Pokémon (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu) Metroid (Dark Samus, maybe even Zero Suit Samus). So therefore I don't consider any cuts in DKC sensible.

The fact that this is a choice I see so many make here is pure ignorance to me.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do think that some characters have been taken for granted for so long that people have forgotten the sheer value those characters brings.

We really shouldn't be considering cutting characters like Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Lucario or Ike.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I don't think Shantae has male characters.
Theres this one dude hes like a wimp! I think hes one of the only males!
No i dont think he would be playable ever!
I only watched a letsplay of shantae one for a short while and stopped playing half genie hero after having to go through a room with only one block big platforms!

Also what do you guys think "Young" Link returns but its just him:
1719913217265.png

Which makes sense cause young is a very flexible term! And I dont get why Adult Link should be based on his newest TOTK Version but we dont wanna see the newest small Link? I dont know that never made sense to me! The Only reason why Young and toon are considerd diffrent links is cause an arbitrary name change! In case you didnt know Adult Link got more New versions than Small Link!

Also i dont care which role Octoroks Have in the next game but i think they should Use THIS Design:
1719913487717.png

I dont understand why octoroks have used their 3d Designs exclusivly when they are consistently more important in 2d!
And I mean obviously Octoroks should have some role in the game be it Fighter, Stage Decoration, Mii costume, Enmey, Spirit or Assist Trophy!

Anyways thats it for now...
also octorok spirite:
1719913762379.png

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So, uh...

Who do you think are the most played characters in the game?
There was a poll done in Japan that said that Pyra/Mythra were the most popular characters.

Obviously this is just for the Japanese audience though. Not North America or Europe.

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
There was a poll done in Japan that said that Pyra/Mythra were the most popular characters.

Obviously this is just for the Japanese audience though. Not North America or Europe.
Is diddy kong really the LEAST popular over there? That's kinda crazy. I wonder if that has anything to do with him being a western developed character.

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
The character can still be included, but it doesn't seem like the series' branding or name can be included.

So the M-rated characters don't have to be cut, but it would pose complications as to how they were handled.
Yeah I think if they can't include the branding, they just arent going to include the character. The mii costumes were probably compromises that they had to do because plans were already in motion, if they were to start over from scratch i doubt they would bother.
Especially since some characters ARE the branding. How are you going to include Bayonetta without name dropping the Bayonetta series? Call her Cereza??

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Of course they are most interested in the Big Booba girls!
Of Course!

Weird it isnt mario or any other main Character?

Top Bottom