• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Y'know, I think Sakurai definitely made the right move giving newcomers cinematic trailers rather than putting that manpower towards cutscenes in a story mode...

But damn it, I want to desperately want to see a plot point in Subspace 2 where Sephiroth, Ganondorf, and Ridley simultaneously betray each other as this basically happens:
And then the game tells you to pick one of them to play, and it transitions into a free-for-all battle between Sephiroth, Ganondorf and Ridley, your choice getting their own cutscene where the other two gets Trophy'd/Spirit'd/Whatever and your pick then tries to fight the real villain of Subspace 2 only to get Tabuu'd.

Since Final Fantasy's still a hot topic, I made this mockup of Gilgamesh and his potential loadout after posts of just talking about him.
View attachment 295701
RT to scare Smash players
Not gonna lie, I would kind of want Gilgamesh to have a final smash with a 50/50 chance to either KO at 0% or do 1% damage.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Off-topic, but why would Eggman blast half the moon?

Doesn't he live in Earth? The damage that it would cause to life on Earth if the moon was blown in half would be immense.
I guess you could say he was a lunartic!
BAD05EAA-4E96-4939-A42E-B9DDC321F00E.gif

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you tried to have another Subspace-style adventure mode with a roster this size, a lot of the cast is gonna just have to be more-or-less left out.
Nah, I think you could make it work. A bunch of them will likely be minor characters, but so long as you can avoid them being just...there, I think it'll be fine.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If you tried to have another Subspace-style adventure mode with a roster this size, a lot of the cast is gonna just have to be more-or-less left out.
I’ve always imagined it as them splitting it into 2 campaigns, as thats roughly the size of brawls roster each.
I would rather have a super smash bros. anime series over subspace
I think a comic would work better if we weren’t restricting ourselves to video games.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would you guys say a Pokemon Sw/Sh rep is still on the table?
I'm of the belief that SwSh getting a spirit event before Vol 1 was completed doesn't really mean a Gen 8 Pokemon is out of the picture since that and the Pokemon tourney that came after were seemingly made just for the launch of Sword and Shield. It wasn't like Astral Chain or Ring Fit Adventure where the spirits came in months after their launch, so for all we know, it was only promotional material for the game rather than a Gen 8 Pokemon being too late to the Vol 2 Party.

This isn't even like a MUH FAN RULES or SAKURAI IS UNPREDICTABLE kind of thing. Sword and Shield was 1 of the most anticipated Switch games of 2019 even with the National Dex controversy, so I have to imagine we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon. It'll probably be a lot harder to say they're coming if the next 2 characters aren't a Pokemon, but it just feels like it's bound to happen eventually.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Looking forward to those Mii Costumes.

Sephiroth is going all in on giving Cloud PTSD huh?

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
Subspace barely worked with a cast of 30, much less 80. Best case scenario is to abandon the overarching story all together, focus on smaller stories crossing over 2-3 franchises, not making a wild cluster**** with boring gameplay.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Subspace barely worked with a cast of 30, much less 80. Best case scenario is to abandon the overarching story all together, focus on smaller stories crossing over 2-3 franchises, not making a wild cluster**** with boring gameplay.
i rather have character specific break teh targets, a couple more bosses and a boss rush mode, or a improved smash run...

But i won'tdeny that i would enjoy some sort of expansive multifranchise blending metroidvania.
As for complex story telling or cinematics... i think the trailers are good enough.

just...make the gim leaders and shopkeepers actual 3d models with animations and personality as NPCs and iwould be happy :D.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I remember seeing a story concept prior to Ultimate's release, where each of the original 12 had their own story with five or so other characters. That was actually a pretty good idea.

Edit: Actually, if you did it that way, you could even have stories for each of the Fighter's Passes, too, since they're basically the same size.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I had a thought that about a Potential Aeith Costume

I think it Might be Deconfirmed because If it was in, I think the Reference to a Certain something might have had her Costume in it, but that's just me

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Marcus Sellars has hint that a Among us mii costume might come to Smash: Marcus Sellars sur Twitter : "@OnTheDownLoTho It's a reality." / Twitter

I'm pretty sure he leaked some things in the past, but I'm not sure if he really have a big and good track record or not. To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if it happen because it seems that Among us was a pretty big deal for Nintendo (being the "one last thing" of the Nindies).

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Marcus Sellars has hint that a Among us mii costume might come to Smash: Marcus Sellars sur Twitter : "@OnTheDownLoTho It's a reality." / Twitter

I'm pretty sure he leaked some things in the past, but I'm not sure if he really have a big and good track record or not. To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if it happen because it seems that Among us was a pretty big deal for Nintendo (being the "one last thing" of the Nindies).
Marcus Sellars' "track record" is abysmal. This muppet merits absolutely no mind.

7NATOR

Smash Master

I'm someone that is more Lenient with Leakers than most people, even if they get stuff wrong alot of the time

But Marcus Sellars is the Most Fake Leaker I've ever seen. I believe one time he got totally Exposed for having no or Fake Sources. Do Not listen to this man

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hmm. I'm thinking now that Sans and Cuphead are out of the running, Nicalis is probably a nightmare to work with, Shantae is a spirit, Shovel Knight is an assist, and Hades just came out. That mean if we get an Indie rep it will either be the Knight or

Oh no

View attachment 295628
But Min Min IS/WAS a spirit... Oh sorry that doesn't count cause Arms is exception

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
It could still happen, as Joker only came with Persona content and nothing from SMT. Even Jack Frost was a no show.
I'm just poking fun that it is more likely we'll have another Persona character somehow than from SMT.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I'll just dip my toes in.

We aren't getting a new Smash game in at least 8 years after Ultimate. I think Nintendo knows that any Smash game won't be the same as Ultimate.
I also think we're not going to get a new smash game for at least 5+ years from today.

Look at Mario Kart 8. That was first released in 2014 and there hasn't been a new Mario kart game since (numbered entry I mean) if we're not counting MK 8 Deluxe.

They're either going to just let smash be after this fighters pass is done, or (possibly, but not likely, we shall see) announce another fighters pass to keep the $ rolling in.

From a business perspective, they might as well just keep going for as long as they can since they got a good, and rare, thing going with this.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Wait are people still throwing around the "no spirit upgrades" rule after Min Min as though somehow she wasn't just that? I'm not too confident on any spirit upgrades myself but come on, don't be silly.

If Rex ended up getting in - unlikely IMO, but not an impossibility! - would people still act as though Mii outfits hard-deconfirm and that the Rex Mii outfit just didn't count?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wait are people still throwing around the "no spirit upgrades" rule after Min Min as though somehow she wasn't just that? I'm not too confident on any spirit upgrades myself but come on, don't be silly.

If Rex ended up getting in - unlikely IMO, but not an impossibility! - would people still act as though Mii outfits hard-deconfirm and that the Rex Mii outfit just didn't count?
Well I didn't read this page, but it was likely a thing of base vs. DLC; Base roster spirits are fine because they were done first, but DLC isn't because it was supposedly decided at the same time as DLC. So like, Pokémon Sword and Shield getting spirits means that Pokémon Sword and Shield will not be getting a character.

If Rex were to get in, it would mean that Mii costumes from the first pass had no bearing on the second one.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well I didn't read this page, but it was likely a thing of base vs. DLC; Base roster spirits are fine because they were done first, but DLC isn't because it was supposedly decided at the same time as DLC. So like, Pokémon Sword and Shield getting spirits means that Pokémon Sword and Shield will not be getting a character.

If Rex were to get in, it would mean that Mii costumes from the first pass had no bearing on the second one.
I think the comment in question was regarding Shantae and Shovel Knight, who are base game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I kinda think “upgrades” should be treated similar to how we’re approaching Sephiroth, right now.

Sephiroth shows that non-protagonist picks can be DLC, but what were the circumstances that got Sephiroth into Smash? Was it because he wasn’t a protagonist, or extremely specific reasons that appear to be specific to Sephiroth?

Similarly, Min Min showed that a spirit could be upgraded to playable in the same game. That said, was Min Min added to be an “upgrade” or was there another reason?

In terms of speculation I think the real question is in terms of the “case by case” basis or if we’re gonna see a trend. I actually don’t think any single character indicates another. I don’t actually think Banjo-Kazooie indicates that specific “fan favorites” will be in, because it took more than them being a “fan favorite” pick to get in. Sephiroth appears to be an extremely specific piece of negotiation, which may not necessarily apply to somebody like Eggman.

Byleth appears to be a corporate pick that Nintendo wanted because Three Houses, “was a game that people were playing when it was announced”. Will that apply to another fighter? Who knows?

Basically, it seems extremely difficult to pin down. The only things I would argue in favor of is that Banjo and Steve, and Cloud and Sephiroth are connected to each other respectively, but that’s business related stuff.

The rest? I think it’s a much more difficult case to make. This isn’t to say we shouldn’t talk about the possibilities (I think we should), but moreso that, at the end of the day, what’s the actual, strong connection?

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
For the record, Mii outfits, Assist Trophies, the like. They do hurt a character's chances. But do they make the character impossible? Lack of precedent may make it seem that way, and yet stranger things have happened. Once upon a time it was Cloud that you'd be laughed at if you brought up as possible. And to that, really, I have to ask. How the hell did we get here!?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I kinda think “upgrades” should be treated similar to how we’re approaching Sephiroth, right now.

Sephiroth shows that non-protagonist picks can be DLC, but what were the circumstances that got Sephiroth into Smash? Was it because he wasn’t a protagonist, or extremely specific reasons that appear to be specific to Sephiroth?

Similarly, Min Min showed that a spirit could be upgraded to playable in the same game. That said, was Min Min added to be an “upgrade” or was there another reason?

In terms of speculation I think the real question is in terms of the “case by case” basis or if we’re gonna see a trend. I actually don’t think any single character indicates another. I don’t actually think Banjo-Kazooie indicates that specific “fan favorites” will be in, because it took more than them being a “fan favorite” pick to get in. Sephiroth appears to be an extremely specific piece of negotiation, which may not necessarily apply to somebody like Eggman.

Byleth appears to be a corporate pick that Nintendo wanted because Three Houses, “was a game that people were playing when it was announced”. Will that apply to another fighter? Who knows?

Basically, it seems extremely difficult to pin down. The only things I would argue in favor of is that Banjo and Steve, and Cloud and Sephiroth are connected to each other respectively, but that’s business related stuff.

The rest? I think it’s a much more difficult case to make. This isn’t to say we shouldn’t talk about the possibilities (I think we should), but moreso that, at the end of the day, what’s the actual, strong connection?
I think that's an incredibly backwards position to take. Of course every character gets in over a combination of reasons rather than a singular specific trait. The reason people point to the likes of Min Min or Sephiroth isn't because they mean that characters who are Spirits and characters from third parties already in Ultimate are likely just because of those qualities. It's because tons of characters exist that also have their unique reasons to be included, and had until now been ignored despite them solely because of one specific trait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom