• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I legit think Doom Eternal is the game of the last generation, and that’s saying a lot from me.

This generation had SO many good games God of War, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Resident Evil 2, DMC5, Resident Evil VII, Monster Hunter World, I could go on and on. All those games pushed boundaries. Boundaries for world building, for storytelling, for characterization.They did wonders. Doom Eternal looked at them, then looked at itself and said “Nah, **** that. We’re a game. Let’s be a ****ing video-game”. So, that’s what they did. They made a game where you feel like the Final Boss. You’re the most powerful being in the universe and you’re one super power is that you are ****ING PISSED. The game challenges you with demon after demon after demon, some incredibly big, some incredibly annoying, some nearly indestructible and says “kick it’s ass” it doesn’t shy away from challenging you. It’ll throw you down and force you to fight your way to a bloody pulp using every Blood Punch, Flamethrower, Chainsaw, Ice Grenade, Shotgun, Rifle, Rocket Launchers, and all the assortments of big-****ing-guns. It tells you everything you have to work with and says “have fun”. It challenges you to the max...

If you want it to. Unlike the souls games that receive criticism for no easy mode, Doom Eternal doesn’t care. If you’re having fun it doesn’t matter. Play on the easiest difficulty and mow over demons with the simple pleasures of smashing them to bits with your arsenal, as long as you’re having fun.

Eternal puts the most video-gamey bull**** in the game. Poles to swing off of, chains to latch onto and pull you towards demons, 1-Up helmets, gravity lifts, wall climbing, and even some excellent First Person Platforming sections.

Doom Eternal isn’t devoid of Story though. While it does take a back seat it is very much a good damn story. Sure you can rush through and get the gist of the story and kinda just feel eh about it. But if you really want to you can dig in and read about the Maykr, their betrayal of humanity, the demons and the dark lords folly that caused the invasion of earth, the betrayer and his connection to the final boss, and even the origins and godlike deeds of the Slayer himself. And that stuff is SO GOOD. But if you don’t want the gameplay to be slogged down by it? Then hell, don’t read it, it’s not going to spitball you to death with stuff you don’t care about.

Doom Eternal is a video game through and through. It doesn’t try to be anymore than a demon slaying romp of power and yet it still is a textbook example of how to do excellent world building and characterization through story but without the need for dialogue. And that’s exactly why it’s so good.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pokemon isn't capitalized and is occasionally missing the accent mark, and other words are mispelled.
Are there two versions of this image? I see one missing accent mark, but no missing capitalization on Pokemon, and no other words misspelled.
They unironically both fit the archetype.

Sakura wars is basically just Sailor Moon but the girls are in their early 20s and pilot mechs instead of using wands.

Arle is self explanatory. Stuff like Rayearth, Doremi, or Precure are obvious inspirations.

The series pioneered the "kayo show", basically stage plays for video games and anime series which became a big thing in japan.

View attachment 291530
Well, then I would happily add both or either to my list of wanted. I mean, I've wanted to have a magical girls fighting game with Sailor Moon, Precure, Madoka... if someone knows a game like Jump Force, but that actually isn't all just 'boy cartoons,' please let me know! (And yes, I understand the troublesome phrasing of boy cartoon, I just do not know what else to say to refer to this. I'm an anime fan but no guru by any means.

D

Deleted member

The Game Awards showed off a DLC character ONCE. Pretty sure it was a fluke; just a gimmick because it made sense for the reveal to be Joker 'hijacking' the announcements to deliver his calling card. It was also good timing because while the game was just short of being able to be included in the ceremony, this was a good way to advertise not only it, but the Fighter's Pass as well despite missing the window.

I sincerely doubt we're getting anything at the Game Awards again so setting yourselves up as even cautiously optimistic is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

We don't have too much longer to go; late December or early January we'll get our next announcement. Just hold out a bit longer and think up another game; like 5 characters that haven't been thought of in the last 2 years of Speculation or something.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
The Game Awards showed off a DLC character ONCE. Pretty sure it was a fluke; just a gimmick because it made sense for the reveal to be Joker 'hijacking' the announcements to deliver his calling card. It was also good timing because while the game was just short of being able to be included in the ceremony, this was a good way to advertise not only it, but the Fighter's Pass as well despite missing the window.

I sincerely doubt we're getting anything at the Game Awards again so setting yourselves up as even cautiously optimistic is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

We don't have too much longer to go; late December or early January we'll get our next announcement. Just hold out a bit longer and think up another game; like 5 characters that haven't been thought of in the last 2 years of Speculation or something.
If there's one this year, it would be one that would enter it like Joker did. For example, Ryu Hayabusa is literally a ninja.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't know, I feel you're dismissing some things as well. I don't think saving Abby dismisses his character at all. You're forgetting that Part II doesn't happen just after Part I. Some years had passed. People change, and Joel and Ellie (and Tommy) went to live on Jackson, the closest thing to an actual and regular city in the post apocalyptic world they're living.

We did see Joel during the timeframe between the 2 games. I mean, during the multiple flashbacks, which are enough in my opinion to compensate timeskip. I guess this can sound like an 'excuse' of some sorts, but I don't think a story, or all stories, need to be super clear and guiding to the viewer/player/reader. I don't think the game needed to show us how Joel changed during his time in Jackson. The flashbacks, the playable intro with him, other info and logical deductions are enough to reach that conclusion.

I don't think he's out of character, as I said multiple times. I always felt I was looking at the same Joel.
I honestly just think some people had a hard time seeing him dying to the point they started to search reasons as why he's out of character in order to justify his death was a bad decision and feel "better" with themselves, instead of doing the logical thing in my opinion, which is thinking why he died, what led him to that fate, his role in Ellie's and Abby's story, and more. The priorities are wrong here, in my honest opinion.

Anyway, as for the God of War example, we do not see what happened to Kratos between God of War 3 and God of War 2018, something that some people criticized and felt it was needed in the game. So I don't know if it's the best comparison.
I am definitely not one of those people. When The Last Jedi was getting so much hate for what it did to Luke Skywalker I was on the other side. I understood why his soul was broken. I understood why his character changed as drastically as it did because it showed that. It showed him build up his temple it showed his regret for almost killing Ben Solo and his characterization was apt. Now I have other problems with the movie but that is NOT one and Last Jedi is actually my favorite of the Sequel movies.

The same can’t be said for Joel because even in the flashbacks you never see him care for anyone but Ellie which is on par with the personality from Part I but his uncharacteristic death is meant to be shocking. Which is a problem with media in general where writers thinking that as long as it’s shocking or surprising it’s good. And that’s not always true.

I also feel like the God of War comparison is appropriate as well, because just like Part II we don’t see what transpired before hand. God of War takes place DECADES after 3 and yet we can still see pieces of Kratos from the past through his distrust of Gods even if that includes his own son, his brutality, and his no nonsense demeanor. Flashbacks in God of War happen too but they’re infrequent but haunting because it still effects Kratos having to kill his father. Which is why he’s weary of Atreus because he could end up just like him.

I actually like Part II but the game just doesn’t land in a lot of parts. It also has this problem with making you kill stuff and then immediately being like “you should feel bad” and it just feels very artificial.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If there's one this year, it would be one that would enter it like Joker did. For example, Ryu Hayabusa is literally a ninja.
The Game Awards this year is Digital only so the theater infiltration gimmick won't have the same impact so they might not do it.

Honestly I'm not sure if the TGA's will give us a smash character I could go 50/50, I think December we will probably get info but it might not be at the TGA's

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The Game Awards this year is Digital only so the theater infiltration gimmick won't have the same impact so they might not do it.

Honestly I'm not sure if the TGA's will give us a smash character I could go 50/50, I think December we will probably get info but it might not be at the TGA's
So the next character is a professional hacker?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Out of the games I've played this year, SoR4 and Void tRrLM(); I feel have been the best of the lot for me. I still need to finish Void but the game has been a lot of fun thus far and is quite charming.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Is it unrealistic to think that if there are more characters after Fighter Pass 2 that they might not come with a stage and songs? Basically is a more stripped down set of fighters to round out Smash but without the same production/resources for levels/songs unlikely given Nintendo and Sakurai's preferred method of doing DLC or somewhat possible given that such a pass would still likely make money and finally allow both to wind down work on the game?
I expect an Echo Pack if anything we get a third pass and just four fighters. Echos wouldn't be as time-consuming. I could picture such being extra content for anyone that wanted more fighters.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It makes sense for any character to be announced at the gaming awards. It's become one of the most prestigious awards in gaming. Nintendo, whether for Smash, or BotW, has shown they at least understand how the platform can be used. While it is no certainty, especially in a year where Nintendo didn't partner with (to my recollection) any other events known for Video Games, it makes sense for anything to be announced there. No 'reveal gimmick' is needed. It could be a fricken Pokemon.

Given the likelihood of Animal Crossing winning... well, many awards... Nintendo could easily be planning something fun. Or not. Yet, it doesn't need to be anything like a 'snatched reveal.' It could just be a Pokemon. It could be anything. It's the GAME awards.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's a rare sight to even see moderators not talk about speculation in the speculation thread.
Yeah, my bad. Conversations get away from me sometimes. Especially when it comes to things I genuinely care about. Imma knock it off though.

D

Deleted member

My GotY is Bug Fables. Technically came out last November but ehhhhhhh. Honestly might be in my top 5 games period.

My favorite game I played in 2020 was Ys VIII and that didn't even come out this year.

Though, to be honest, I didn't really play many games this year anyways.
It better be good cause I’m getting it as soon as it’s on sale! But for real I’ve started getting some of its OST in my YouTube recs and damn does it have some bangers. Really looking forward to picking it up.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Does a TGA reveal absolutely need to "infiltrate" the show? Can't Nintendo just announce it normally?
I mean, even if we were talking specifically about "jape" reveals, there's more than one way to do it. The whole thing with Joker wasn't just because he's a Phantom Thief - people thought at first that it would be a P5-related announcement or a spinoff.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I mean, think of it this way:

How many mobile-first games stand up to Genshin's level? How many Indies stand up to Hades or Celeste?

It's not that we're "trained" to think otherwise, it's just that for every Hades or Hollow Knight there's over 6000 indies every year that don't come even close. Same for mobile, which is dominated by match-3s and P2W. Games like these are sadly the exception and not the rule - which in a way is a consequence of how the market works.

And this is all coming from someone who would put Hades as GOTY, by the way.
Yes, but that's not what I'm arguing. You're 100% right that a higher percentage of AAA games meet a quality standard to be considered for GotY, and that may effect how you view them, but that's what we're talking about. I'm talking about the best of the best, and the myriad of middling indies have no bearing whatsoever on how good Hades is.

In 2018, Celeste was nominated. Keighley and the crew usually throw a bone to the indies in GotY nominations the past few years, but they never win.

How would you feel if Celeste won GotY at the Game Awards over God of War, Spiderman and Red Dead 2? How would everyone react if Hades or SoR4 or Genshin Impact wins this year over Last of Us 2?

I'm going to say most of you and most of the widespread gaming audience would have some amount of shock and appall. You'd be confused and have to think hard about it. Because, as you say, your experience has told you that indie and f2p games generally aren't as good as AAA blockbuster action specticle games. But then, some are. Some are better.

I think Sakurai feels this, and it's probably why Undertale is in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It was a fluke. Joker's reveal there was a last-minute decision.
I don’t know where this “last-minute” thing keeps coming from but from a production standpoint that seems like an impossibility. What is there to back this claim up.

Personally, I feel that a new trailer for the BotW sequel would be more likely to show up at the Game Awards than Smash, mostly because of how close to the chest Smash has been. I think it's been over a year since we've gotten a Smash announcement more than a couple weeks in advance, and I don't see another character coming out before January. They could surprise us, but it would be a huge shift in how Smash has been handled lately.

I haven't played any games that came out this year, though, so what do I know?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Personally, I feel that a new trailer for the BotW sequel would be more likely to show up at the Game Awards than Smash, mostly because of how close to the chest Smash has been. I think it's been over a year since we've gotten a Smash announcement more than a couple weeks in advance, and I don't see another character coming out before January. They could surprise us, but it would be a huge shift in how Smash has been handled lately.

I haven't played any games that came out this year, though, so what do I know?
I don't expect BotW2 announcements to start up until we have had time with Hyrule Warriors AoC. The prequel to BotW could be overshadowed less than a month after release if the sequel is given more attention. This doesn't tend to happen with marketing.

I don't expect BotW2 announcements to start up until we have had time with Hyrule Warriors AoC. The prequel to BotW could be overshadowed less than a month after release if the sequel is given more attention. This doesn't tend to happen with marketing.
That's true, actually. I didn't think about that. Something else, maybe?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's true, actually. I didn't think about that. Something else, maybe?
Bayonetta 3
Pokemon Snap
Metroid 4

A new game (which would be unlikely to be revealed after Thanksgiving shopping rush but before Christmas).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If BOTW 2 happens in 2021, I'm betting it'll be showcased in the summer or maybe slightly earlier as part of a Zelda focused Direct in celebration of the franchise's 35th anniversary. As far as non Smash showcases at the Game Awards, its hard to say as Metroid 4 seems some time off (with maybe a cinematic trailer, but even that seems unlikely), Game Freak might want to do their own presentation for Pokemon related games, and its guessing in the dark for everything else.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I legit think Doom Eternal is the game of the last generation, and that’s saying a lot from me.

This generation had SO many good games God of War, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Resident Evil 2, DMC5, Resident Evil VII, Monster Hunter World, I could go on and on. All those games pushed boundaries. Boundaries for world building, for storytelling, for characterization.They did wonders. Doom Eternal looked at them, then looked at itself and said “Nah, **** that. We’re a game. Let’s be a ****ing video-game”. So, that’s what they did. They made a game where you feel like the Final Boss. You’re the most powerful being in the universe and you’re one super power is that you are ****ING PISSED. The game challenges you with demon after demon after demon, some incredibly big, some incredibly annoying, some nearly indestructible and says “kick it’s ass” it doesn’t shy away from challenging you. It’ll throw you down and force you to fight your way to a bloody pulp using every Blood Punch, Flamethrower, Chainsaw, Ice Grenade, Shotgun, Rifle, Rocket Launchers, and all the assortments of big-****ing-guns. It tells you everything you have to work with and says “have fun”. It challenges you to the max...

If you want it to. Unlike the souls games that receive criticism for no easy mode, Doom Eternal doesn’t care. If you’re having fun it doesn’t matter. Play on the easiest difficulty and mow over demons with the simple pleasures of smashing them to bits with your arsenal, as long as you’re having fun.

Eternal puts the most video-gamey bull**** in the game. Poles to swing off of, chains to latch onto and pull you towards demons, 1-Up helmets, gravity lifts, wall climbing, and even some excellent First Person Platforming sections.

Doom Eternal isn’t devoid of Story though. While it does take a back seat it is very much a good damn story. Sure you can rush through and get the gist of the story and kinda just feel eh about it. But if you really want to you can dig in and read about the Maykr, their betrayal of humanity, the demons and the dark lords folly that caused the invasion of earth, the betrayer and his connection to the final boss, and even the origins and godlike deeds of the Slayer himself. And that stuff is SO GOOD. But if you don’t want the gameplay to be slogged down by it? Then hell, don’t read it, it’s not going to spitball you to death with stuff you don’t care about.

Doom Eternal is a video game through and through. It doesn’t try to be anymore than a demon slaying romp of power and yet it still is a textbook example of how to do excellent world building and characterization through story but without the need for dialogue. And that’s exactly why it’s so good.
I haven't played Doom Eternal yet. The 2016 game was great and I enjoyed it a lot, so I'm very interested in the new one.

Personally I think this is one of the cool things of videogames. Maybe you will have to search a bit more, but you can find anything. I have moments that I feel like playing games with a big focus on the story and high production values. Then one day I'll be on the mood for more arcade experiences, such as Doom. Or maybe I'll prefer to dive in long games with deep worlds, as some RPGs or open worlds offer. At the next day, maybe I'll be playing only indie games.

What I'm saying is, I don't think one thing is better than the others. Obviously, tastes are a thing, but personally I usually can enjoy all the experiences I've mentioned.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Some of my favorite games of the 8th Generation include:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Metal Gear Solid V
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Devil May Cry 5
Ghost of Tsushima
Metroid Samus Returns
Super Mario Odyssey
God of War (2018)
Marvel's Spider-Man
Final Fantasy XV
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Nier: Automata
Persona 5
DOOM Eternal
Sonic Mania
Bayonetta 2

These are just a few off the top of my head. It's been a pretty damn solid generation with lots of great games. Lets see what the next one brings.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm not expecting anything Nintendo related at the game awards. Last year, they only had Bravely default 2 and No more heores 3, which are third party games that are exclusive to Nintendo, not actual Nintendo content. At best I think they will just showcase something related to Animal crossing like a future update.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yes, but that's not what I'm arguing. You're 100% right that a higher percentage of AAA games meet a quality standard to be considered for GotY, and that may effect how you view them, but that's what we're talking about. I'm talking about the best of the best, and the myriad of middling indies have no bearing whatsoever on how good Hades is.

In 2018, Celeste was nominated. Keighley and the crew usually throw a bone to the indies in GotY nominations the past few years, but they never win.

How would you feel if Celeste won GotY at the Game Awards over God of War, Spiderman and Red Dead 2? How would everyone react if Hades or SoR4 or Genshin Impact wins this year over Last of Us 2?

I'm going to say most of you and most of the widespread gaming audience would have some amount of shock and appall. You'd be confused and have to think hard about it. Because, as you say, your experience has told you that indie and f2p games generally aren't as good as AAA blockbuster action specticle games. But then, some are. Some are better.

I think Sakurai feels this, and it's probably why Undertale is in Smash Bros.
I mean... I don't think people would be appaled because an indie won TGA - they'd be appaled because Celeste won over GoW, Spiderman and RDR2.

I think you're conflating two very different things - the expectations people have for indie games in general and the expectations people have for titles like Celeste or Hades.

Like, if Silksong gets nominated for GOTY in 2021 and there was no Cyberpunk or God of War, people would hardly bat an eye at it winning. It's a matter of who the other candidates are and how popular they are among the general audiences.

I like Celeste a lot, but I really don't think it's a 10/10. That's why I'd find it weird, not because "it's an indie".

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There's zero reason to not include music. The music already exists.
There are reasons. It depends who has the rights. Music clearly can cost more to add, or else we would have had Bomberman and Fallout music, not to mention Final Fantasy.

So, not only is there reason, but there is precedent.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
At least your producer hasn’t announced they’re officially done with your series

case in point::ultness::ultlucas:
To be honest, I'd rather be told outright "We're done with this" than the IP being sort of in no-man's land. Case in point with my love of the Bloody Roar franchise but Konami, rather than just outright say "We ain't doing nothing with this IP cept Pachinko machines" they just leave fans in the dark for eternity with nothing but an ember of hope the franchise might see some meaningful return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom