• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
At least your producer hasn’t announced they’re officially done with your series

case in point::ultness::ultlucas:
The alternatives were
1- Never announce its done, and the fans would always ask for more, even when it would not come.
2- Create more story that he doesnt have his full investment within, which would show in the game.

The best scenario is the current one, where the producer is honest, and has the ability to change his mind in the future (to the shock of all the fans).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The WORST case scenario for a game (that I can think of) is something like Mario & Luigi (the company went out of business), or Chibi Robo- where the company abandons all the charm and uniqueness of the game, then completely stops updating information on themselves to the point that you don't even know if they are defunct.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So uh

today is Tuesday

I’m totally expecting either another tourney or themed spirit event with base game spirits only. I’d LIKE new Spirits but... haha... hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... sobs
Spirit Event circling around every major candidate at the moment. Dante, Geno, Monster Hunter, etc. %$#@ you all, never ask me for anything ever again.

This serves as the final step in Adol's rise in popularity, cementing him as the No. 1 of SmashBoards, as all his competition is dead

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Spirit Event circling around every major candidate at the moment. Dante, Geno, Monster Hunter, etc. %$#@ you all, never ask me for anything ever again.

This serves as the final step in Adol's rise in popularity, cementing him as the No. 1 of SmashBoards, as all his competition is dead
Geno’s a Spirit in base though, so he’s not truly out until his Mii Costume returns :p

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The Game Awards showed off a DLC character ONCE. Pretty sure it was a fluke; just a gimmick because it made sense for the reveal to be Joker 'hijacking' the announcements to deliver his calling card. It was also good timing because while the game was just short of being able to be included in the ceremony, this was a good way to advertise not only it, but the Fighter's Pass as well despite missing the window.

I sincerely doubt we're getting anything at the Game Awards again so setting yourselves up as even cautiously optimistic is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

We don't have too much longer to go; late December or early January we'll get our next announcement. Just hold out a bit longer and think up another game; like 5 characters that haven't been thought of in the last 2 years of Speculation or something.
I really don't understand this. There is absolutely NO reason why Nintendo can't just show off a character trailer at TGA. There's no need for a gimmick.

I just don't get this near certitude that a reveal isn't going to happen. TGA is a HUGE platform. It has a larger audience than Nintendo's own E3, so if they're able to show something I see no good reason why they shouldn't. This is something to take advantage of.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What does everyone think of Lara Croft? I don't see her talked about much. Don't see too many requests for her, but regardless I think tons of people would be excited if she made it.
She is my most wanted Square Enix character, and the one that I think has the best shot.
Sora is a close second for me, but Lara Croft is better known outside of gaming, largely due to legacy and the 3 movies.

I would lose my mind if she were announced for Smash, and even more if they advertised Smash before the movie of Tomb Raider 4 (assuming that theaters ever regain popularity).

ZelDan

Smash Master
Joker was shown off during TGA 2018

Apparently Byleth was originally intended to be shown off during TGA 2019. he ultimately wasn't but the fact he was even considered for it (according to rumors anyways) still is kinda important I think.

So yeah, I could see a Smash announcement happening during TGA 2020. Not going to say it's guaranteed or super likely or anything like that but don't it's all that unlikely either.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Except these events introduce no more than 4 spirits for convenience's sake, so people will still latch on to several characters that didn't get culled.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't mind her despite never having played the classic games, that said she more than earns her spot in the roster more so than Sora (Though he's more Disney), Geno, and I admit that I want more 2B. Rather unfortunate she's overshadowed, probably has to do with the fact people see her bringing nothing interesting because I guess apparently you're only so if you have cool*** powers or abilities.
Gordon Freeman and Master Chief are discussed more often than Lara.
Besides her lackluster affilations with Nintendo (her games have been on Nintendo consoles before), I think she offers very little that would interest people.
When I think of Lara, I think of her acrobatics and dual wielding pistols.
If anything, Lara Croft is a lesser Bayonetta, just without the Wicked Weaves and Witch Time.
LARA CROFT

Style: ACTION SURVIVAL

Standard Special: Dual Pistols. Lara holds B and rapidly fires her pistols. Once she hits a target, it locks on. When locked onto a target, she cannot Shield or Dodge without releasing B. However, if she does use the Sheild button, this gives her the ability to lock onto a second target if near first target, and each of the two targets gets hit at half speed (as they each only have one pistol locked on). Lara has full mobility while shooting.

Side Special: Bow and Arrow; Lara can press the combination multiple times to switch arrow types, indicated by a meter on the bottom. The options are
  • Standard Arrow (slightly faster than others)
  • Fire Arrow (slightly more damage)
  • Poison Arrow (Damage that lngers)
  • Explosive Arrow (Slightly More Radius of Damage
  • Piercing Arrow (can go through opponent and hit multiple)

UP Special: Skilled Climber. Lara throws out a grappling hook. It is longer than the average tether grab, and Is able to be aimed. If it lands, Lara climbs up the rope, and then can continue to climb up the stage by another half of the rope’s length.

Down Special: Endure. Lara Croft is known to survive, and this move helps her in multiple ways. For several frames once pressed, Lara will enter an invincible mode. This will mean she can survive a couple of hits without taking damage or knockback, break a counter used on her, move through rapid fire attacks. It is also used passively to help her survive for slighter longer when swimming, and passively keeps her from taking damage or effect from stage hazards.

Links of inspiration:

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
So uh

today is Tuesday

I’m totally expecting either another tourney or themed spirit event with base game spirits only. I’d LIKE new Spirits but... haha... hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... sobs
I'm waiting for spirits from BlazBlue for some reason.
Don't know why. ¯\_ (ツ) _

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The only thing that I'm expecting to happen at VGA is Ghosts of Tsushima snagging the GOTY from LOU2 like Sekiro stole it under Death Stranding's nose.

As it rightfully deserves.
I honestly expect Animal Crossing. Not explicitly from sales, but because it was a calming presence that the World really needed in 2020; it's rare for a game to be so personal to so many people as a means of bonding. It was actual therapy on a massive scale, enough to be acknowledged by advertising agencies (like KFC) and campaigning US presidents (Biden), to have sketches on SNL and be mentioned in multiple other ways. As far as actual impact on the world, there is not a game that can touch Animal Crossing and what it brought this year.

None of you are ready for when Animal Crossing takes GOTY. :4pacman:
Regardless of the awards this year, Animal Crossing was the literal game of year. Starting New Horizons whilst under lockdown will be a real common joint-memory for people when they look back at 2020 in years to come.

That or Among Us.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
The WORST case scenario for a game (that I can think of) is something like Mario & Luigi (the company went out of business), or Chibi Robo- where the company abandons all the charm and uniqueness of the game, then completely stops updating information on themselves to the point that you don't even know if they are defunct.
Or be a Konami franchise that gets banished to pachinko land. (Goemon and Silent Hill)

SKX31

Smash Master
Mother 3 was a damn good end to the series though, I'd rather it have a good end than it be milked for all eternity.
Ultra MOTHER 2+1: Episode 2+1 Unite Survive Andromeda 8K ReMix Deluxe Beatles Edition Season 4.20 starring Mai. And Knuckles. Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.

Proudly sponsored by Mountain Dew and KitKat.

That, or themed event with recurring spirits

OR, while this has an EXTREMELY slim chance of happening, new spirits
I kinda wonder why such spirit events with new spirits have - seemingly - slowed down... but it might be that there simply aren't that many cases where the talks go ahead. Some Spirits by themselves are rather minor in scope and promoted temporarily, so that might be two contributing factors.

Also, to follow up a bit from earlier:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ultra MOTHER 2+1: Episode 2+1 Unite Survive Andromeda 8K ReMix Deluxe Beatles Edition Season 4.20 starring Mai. And Knuckles. Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.

Proudly sponsored by Mountain Dew and KitKat.

I kinda wonder why such spirit events with new spirits have - seemingly - slowed down... but it might be that there simply aren't that many cases where the talks go ahead. Some Spirits by themselves are rather minor in scope and promoted temporarily, so that might be two contributing factors.

Also, to follow up a bit from earlier:

Don’t they eventually get permanently added to the rotation though?

speaking of which when was the last permanent addition?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only one I really want in smash is 2B, with Siegfried, Akira Howard, Tracer, Morrigan and Estelle Bright being runner ups if she doesn't get in. But other than 2B, the roster is perfect
If you're lucky, 2B could be one of those "Sakurai picks" as Joker and Terry were.

I also want her as well. She'd be very fun and interesting to play.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have everything I want in the DLC except Waluigi.
The only one I really want in smash is 2B, with Siegfried, Akira Howard, Tracer, Morrigan and Estelle Bright being runner ups if she doesn't get in. But other than 2B, the roster is perfect
My #1 want since base is Elma. Lesser key wants are Neku, Octoling, and my two pipe dreams, KOS-MOS and Black Shadow. Just give me ONE of them at least please 🥺

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I got my top 3 I wanted:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultridley:

Anyone else is just icing on cake, one of those I got being:ultminmin

Those icing on cake being.

2B
Amaterasu
Black Shadow
Crash Bandicoot
Cynthia (Garchomp, Milotic, Spiritomb)
Doom Slayer
Elma
Kat
Kratos & Atreus
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Medusa
Nightmare
Phoenix Wright
Ryu Hayabusa

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Say, have they even announced the nominees yet? Because they only have about a month left to do so.
The Game Awards have not released nominations, though this did cause me to go signup for updates (and to learn that its not the video game awards, its just The Game Awards. In which case they (should) have categories for other types of games, such as board games and card games.
Or be a Konami franchise that gets banished to pachinko land. (Goemon and Silent Hill)
I'm still waiting on Frogger. If there is another Konami character (now that Bomberman is likely not an option), I'd want Frogger. LEGENDARY.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
My most wanted was Banjo since Melee. I'm now on the Phoenix Wright train and if he gets in then I'm honestly not even sure who I would want next.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Like everyone else, I'd like to get at least one of my most wanteds as DLC. I don't count Joker because before his reveal I didn't even think about Persona in Smash at that point, my brain just believed it was impossible I guess. And Terry despite being a 10/10 character I wasn't really a longtime supporter or anything.

In the end I feel like I can't really complain, maybe I'll be lucky and get a character, maybe not. It's not gonna be the end of the world, as long as the remaining DLC packs have interesting content and the new fighters bring fun and some new ideas with their movesets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom