• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Personally I've never had an issue with the Blade designs in Xenoblade 2, but that might be because I do watch a lot of anime that have just as sexy female characters like Kill la Kill, Cross Ange and Panty and Stocking as well as playing the Bayonetta franchise, so I don't think about it too much. It's only when the writers give stupid reasons for why certain characters wear little clothing that frustrates me, like with Quiet breathing through her skin.
Most of my issues aren't that they're sexy in the first place, it's just that I think Pyra's design is distracting (but not Mythra even though she's the one with the boob window), Brighid goes a bit too far, and Dhalia makes me uncomfortable because she's completely nude. That and it looks like her bust size is giving her spinal issues with how much she arches her back.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
The best part about the Blade designs in Xenoblade 2 is that alot of the sexy ones were designed by women and that for whatever reason breaks the Anglo-Saxons brain.
There are loads of sexy female character designs in a lot of 'nerd media' made by women but everyone just assumes it's men who are the ones concocting them.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Personally, I love Rex's salvager outfit. Idk why I just think it's a nice look. For Pythra I just slap on the Disguised Pyra & Smash Bros Mythra outfits and call it a day.
Ooh if Rex & Pyra/Mythra get in Super Smash Bros. I hope one of the costumes gives Pyra her disguise outfit. Also, I don't dislike Mythra's design at all, but I love the leggings they gave her in Super Smash Bros. I'm a sucker for mixing dark colors with bright ones.

There are loads of sexy female character designs in a lot of 'nerd media' made by women but everyone just assumes it's men who are the ones concocting them.
Iirc, Dahlia was designed by a female Japanese nsfw artist. The latter part explains a lot. Doesn't make me any less uncomfortable though.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The best part about the Blade designs in Xenoblade 2 is that alot of the sexy ones were designed by women and that for whatever reason breaks the Anglo-Saxons brain.
shame that doesn't escuse them from looking bad lol

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I also read somewhere that the artists were more-or-less allowed to design whatever they wanted, which could explain why there are so many female Blades, though I don't have a source on that.

SKX31

Smash Master
Will there still be a trend involving cramming battle royale modes into everything for Smash to follow in 2025 when Smash 6 starts development?
I could honestly see it. BRs are not going away any time soon - not when the genre's become much less associated with shooters. What with Mario 35 and Fall Guys having no issues with the size of their playerbases.

Yes, BRs have a number of problems (such as generally being resource intensive and prone to hacking), but two of the genre's key strengths are that they're low commitment - if a player loses it's easy to shrug off the loss and join another lobby within seconds - and the genre's general pick up and play nature. Those are not insignificant.

Uhmmm.... I didn't know that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got a release way back during the early Middle Ages. So you're saying that Æthelred the Unready was in reality not ready for those designs? :4pacman:

(Joke aside, one often forgotten fact's that a lot of people accept and internalize what's considered "sexy" amongst their own gender as the "standard". So I'm not surprised by that. I still kinda dislike the sexier designs because they're blatant and doesn't really fit the setting - if they wanted to go for a sexy design, they could've been a bit more subtle. That's why I prefer Bayo's.)

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Iirc, Dahlia was designed by a female Japanese nsfw artist. The latter part explains a lot. Doesn't make me any less uncomfortable though.
Dahlia is the one I have an issue with because of the fusion between the animal parts like the feet and claws with the human face. It looks so off-putting and doesn't make her look attractive. If I'd have to go for my favorite Blade design, I'd say between Zenobia's design or Herald's.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Nintendo was seriously interested in a GTA character because of its size, they’d be better off just going with a COD character. COD deals with some really mature stuff but it’s only had one major controversy surrounding it.
A generic soldier guy wouldn't be as hype though.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I’ve always thought if we get a COD character it should be someone from the Zombies mode, since there’s a bit more lenience in what can be used.

Example: Richtofen, who may be considered the most prominent character from the mode.
Only problem is his (pre-Origins) design, which they could avoid by not having it visible.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Good ol' Bayonetta. The pinnacle of subtlety. :p
I realize the irony of my statement, yes. :p I initially meant subtlety as in "I honestly think the subtle aspects of Bayo's character makes her more likeable and thusly more attractive IMHO". But eh, you got me there. ^^

And TBF Modern Warfare's Captain Price does have a very much defined character (he's pretty much the best-known character the series has). Although - unlike :ultsnake: Captain Price's a member of a real life organization: SAS and the British Army at large. I can't say that's disqualifying: Sakurai didn't reject James Bond because Bond's linked to MI6 (it was instead due to really high licensing fees and him not being a video game character). Although I'm not so sure Sakurai and co. would want to highlight SAS either.

If Nintendo was seriously interested in a GTA character because of its size, they’d be better off just going with a COD character. COD deals with some really mature stuff but it’s only had one major controversy surrounding it.
I could honestly see CoD, that said there are a couple things Nintendo would very likely want to avoid. Not just real life weaponry, but Nintendo would probably not want anything to do with the U.S. Army either (which sponsors a lot of stuff in CoD - including the U.S. Army esport team being heavily CoD-focused). If only out of not wanting the family-friendly image associated with that.

Now there's a lot of stuff CoD could do without ever mentioning any armies, I don't think excluding the U.S. Army will be an issue, even if it + no real life weaponry (for understandable reasons) limits which weapons they can use in a Smash appearance. IIRC there's enough fictional weapons to get around that (as well as attack dogs, sentry turrets etc).

Or, they could go for Richthofen as SneakyLink SneakyLink said, or lean more into the Zombies / sci fi / just pull weapons from all over the place.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I never really got the hate for the character designs in Xenoblade 2. Dahlia and Nim are the only ones I can say I despise design wise. I'm not gonna call the designs for the main cast flawless, but Rex is a good design, decent at the very least. As for the rare blades, there's plenty of good in there, so I'll leave some of my favorites here.

While on the topic of rare blades, I wonder if any of them would come as spirits if Rex and Pyra were to be one of the DLC packs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I never really got the hate for the character designs in Xenoblade 2. Dahlia and Nim are the only ones I can say I despise design wise. I'm not gonna call the designs for the main cast flawless, but Rex is a good design, decent at the very least. As for the rare blades, there's plenty of good in there, so I'll leave some of my favorites here.

While on the topic of rare blades, I wonder if any of them would come as spirits if Rex and Pyra were to be one of the DLC packs.
Dagas is the best

also Gorg, that JoJo-ass looking fish dude, what do you MEAN Hirohiko Araki didn't design him???

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I don't want COD because it is unambiguously American Military Propaganda

I don't want GTA but it would be hilarious, GTA is in a weird place IMO it has a massive player base in America and a Decent one in Japan (citation needed) but it just seems like there are to many minor things that on their own wouldn't hurt things but together they might. Things like, CERO Z, """Realistic Crimes""", The title of the game ETC. again all of these things on their own would not hurt GTA but all of them together might hurt the chances of a playable character. Now a CJ mii costume that uses the original low poly model with a massive head, that would be perfect.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Everyone here's talking about whether or not Grand Theft Auto could get a playable character, and I'm just here snickering at the thought of watching a Mii Fighter costume reveal and suddenly seeing something like "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Trevor".
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Big Smoke or we riot

cause dammit i just wanna make Big Smoke's Order memes

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Everyone here's talking about whether or not Grand Theft Auto could get a playable character, and I'm just here snickering at the thought of watching a Mii Fighter costume reveal and suddenly seeing something like "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Trevor".
SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X Carl

(I know they would almost certainly go with CJ if they did do that Carl is just a funny name)

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I think it comes from the fact that GTA is quite possibly the most infamous violent video game in history that has caused multiple panics among parents and it's name immediately evokes negative connotations for those types of people, and even for a number of people who are generally OK with stuff in video games find GTA reaching the limits of it. The only reason GTA hasn't had a controversy in years is because there hasn't been a new GTA in years, but GTAV was absolutely a controversial as hell single player experience. The game has you literally participate in a graphic torture scene while also having Trevor be this incredibly violent psychopath (which is the point, but it takes it to the point of excess) and his character is used to turn sexually assaulting another guy who is straight into a punch line multiple times in the game. Yes, that's unfortunately on brand for GTAV, but even if we get past the "think of the children" types, GTA is a really ****ing problematic series on multiple levels that has a reputation. There's no empowerment to any of it and it's commentary on society that sometimes gets attributed to it as a strength is absolutely at its weakest in GTAV where any commentary was immediately undercut by its design philosophy. Let's no whitewash how awful GTA can actually be and it's often mean spirited in its commentary still (and according to workers at Rockstar, the product of an incredibly toxic and unsustainable work environment).

Now Nintendo doesn't probably look at the empowerment angle when including Bayonetta, but Bayonetta is an unknown quantity relative to many people and her connotations are more easily navigated for inclusion in a fighting game. The second Smash Bros. X GTA comes up, you've unleashed pandora's box on to Smash and the ESRB isn't going to be kind considering they won't even seemingly allow the names of M rated games to begin with that aren't problematic in the same way the literal words Grand Theft Auto are. GTA's tendency to embrace everything controversial means there's no way around everything. Like, even if you somehow decide that GTA's controversy is not a road block, what do you do about character design? They have to use real life weapons for everything and the character will be literally grounded in real life violence for attacks if you're going to properly represent GTA at all.

GTA being a bridge too far for playable content doesn't surprise me in the least bit, there's just no real way around it being so infamous. Also, the Devil's Third content did get cut, so that's not really a point in favor of GTA in Smash to begin with.
Even if they somehow got past all of those things, which are serious issues... I'm seriously sceptical about how they could translate a game that revolves around cars, even moreso than actual racing games, into a 2D platformer. As difficult as Steve was to implement, it at least makes sense for him to mine anywhere and place blocks anywhere. GTA seems like so much more trouble than it's worth.

Hey Guys, So here's something interesting

These guys are from Crash Bandicoot. If this is not Intentional, it's a Pretty Wacky Coincendence

Credit to this topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/79046370
I always maintained that that certain infamous screenshot was a Golden Sun reference, but not a hint. If anything, this just leads me to think that either Crash isn't coming until right at the very end of the pass, or Sakurai's so excited that he's breaking his usual rules about not leaving long game hints (or he's not in at all sadface)

It's not the intended "sexiness" of the Blades itself that bothers me, it's the severe gender imbalance among the Rares and the unfortunate implications that has for the "totally not servants" Driver relationship. Like, the Blade List is mostly organised with the male ones at the start, so when the ones I hadn't pulled in that section turned out to be female as well I wasn't impressed.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Smash Ultimate will get a fully playable Grand Theft Auto character, but they come with one caveat...
... you have to hook a mic up to your Switch and control them with voice commands.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Smash Ultimate will get a fully playable Grand Theft Auto character, but they come with one caveat...
... you have to hook a mic up to your Switch and control them with voice commands.
Oh that gave me an idea

remember the PS2 survival horror game Lifeline...?

y’all were expecting Resident Evil or Fatal Frame or something but we get Rio

just don’t make any flirtatious comments at her or you’ll lose the match instantly

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
Grand Theft Auto is one of if not the most profitable gaming series at the moment, they definitely COULD get an appearance in Ultimate, but like so many others have said, it's way too much trouble than for what it's worth. Trying to make a unique character based around guns, cars and mature themes just sounds like a headache.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Ursula was my first rare blade, Ursula is one of the best healers in the game, so why does her quest line cause me so much pain? However, Zenobia is my favorite, the way she rip and tear through bosses like butter is so satisfying.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
considering they're mobage tier designs with little to no plot relevance and end up being utterly eclipsed by any character with a modicum of story importance, probably not. and i rolled every single one, mind.

if they pull an ARMS they'll reuse most of the spirits already from XB2 and just add the main blades not already present (Dromarch, Brighid, Pandoria) and the villains. Maybe Torna and Future Connected, but it's not like Joker's spirit board had anything from Royal/P5 spin-offs/other Persona stuff not in 5.

SKX31

Smash Master
Grand Theft Auto is one of if not the most profitable gaming series at the moment, they definitely COULD get an appearance in Ultimate, but like so many others have said, it's way too much trouble than for what it's worth. Trying to make a unique character based around guns, cars and mature themes just sounds like a headache.
It's a shame too, because the SSBU x GTA crossover would actually be earth-shattering if it happened.

Still though, it's borderline impossible, and to add to EricTheGamerman's view on the topic (which I agree are the fundamental problems): GTA not only embraced the "guns, cars and mature themes" topic to a much stronger extent than than :ultsnake: and :ultjoker: (whose series both tackle a lot of mature themes). GTA is also a main reason why CERO has that Z rating to begin with:

The country has largely managed to steer clear of the controversy and politically-fuelled furore surrounding videogames ratings and the sale of graphic or violent videogames to minors that continues unabated both in the US and Europe.

However, the industry's primary target for concern, Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series, has sparked a re-evaluation of the system, after GTA III was banned from being sold to minors in two prefectures and resulted in the suggestion of a voluntary program to prevent the sale of adult rated games to minors.
That's not an insignificant barrier - in the event that Sakurai got the okay from Rockstar / 2K he'd have to tackle the very same organization that didn't see Mai as appropriate for an A rated game. Chances are, CERO would not like anything above possibly Spirits / Mii costume, although I'm not fully sure I can see a possibility where those happen either.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Personally, I love Rex's salvager outfit. Idk why I just think it's a nice look. For Pythra I just slap on the Disguised Pyra & Smash Bros Mythra outfits and call it a day. Then I just ignore the crappy Blade designs like Dahlia & Kora and pretend they don't exist.
I don't know I honestly think Pyra's design is actually great overall.
The only thing I'd change is to make her 'panties' like this

Instead of

That little detail in her design seems a bit off to me, but besides that I think she has a great design. The small redesign I posted is what I would expect to see if she and Rex were to be in Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom