• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, change of pace:

How in the world is Steve going to work on custom stages?
You can choose the terrains right? I never bothered with custom stages but either A: Players are able to pick terrains and as a result, Steve's earnings, or B: It pulls a Omega style and uses a set order of materials

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Coming from someone who isn't exactly super confident in his chances...

That doesn't mean Geno's will come back, IMO. There's definitely the possibility he makes it in and brings the Chocobo hat with him. It's kind of a moot point either way, honestly: He could come back as a Mii, or he could come back as a fighter. It's one of the reasons I don't think you can use the Mii costume as an indication of anything right now.
At the absolute bare minimum, nothing that's happened so far in the second pass has suggested Geno would be playable aside from, "He's still missing."

I'll argue that Heihachi and Gil returning indicates more costumes will return in the remaining four character bundles. By association, I believe that makes Geno and every other costume appear less likely.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm curious to see how the rest of the fighters will end up in terms of complex mechanics. There's been some interesting distinctions for many characters in the first and second passes thus far, and outside one more simple figure like a Crash, I can't help but suspect many of the rest might have their own gimmick of some sort.

Shroob

Sup?
No seriously, you'd think that creeper mii costume for example would be a really juicy, tempting costume to leak. He had space for a third mii too! I guess leakers work in mysterious ways...
Back when it leaked, Doomguy was THE fotm character, so it's obvious as hell why Cacodemon was chosen.

I love debating and discussing leaks, even if they're fake... just... not this one. It has nothing to do with the characters it implies to be coming, it's the fact that any time it's brought up, you know that the person who brought it up 100% believes it to be absolutely 100% true and isn't willing to see it any other way because anything you present to them isn't good enough.

This leak just makes me soo...damn tired.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
No seriously, you'd think that creeper mii costume for example would be a really juicy, tempting costume to leak. He had space for a third mii too! I guess leakers work in mysterious ways...
If it were in there, it probably would just be a hat or at most a mask.

I don't think anyone could predict this eldritch abomination:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, change of pace:

How in the world is Steve going to work on custom stages?
The materials you can choose for stages have various physics, and I'd assume they added appropriate block types to the materials' code, like wood for wood, iron for steel, but not wool for carpet/denim/yarn since it's not used.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Maybe I'm alone, but I really like it.

Unironically.
Oh, don't misunderstand me, I adore it.

But I am terrified of it, and the power it will allow me to wield.

I can play as Bomberman's head on a Creeper's body. This is a power no one should be able to have, and finally proves how science has gone too far.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ok, so you mean to tell me:
View attachment 288228
Insane, this character is completely insane. Also, poor Charizard, poor Pit, and especially poor Meta Knight...
View attachment 288230

Amaterasu, got this covered.
Don't forget that Alpharad mentioned that:

1. He has a Funny Aerial (F-Air).
  2. His sword swings alone will create TDS - Toxic Doubles Strats. Not to mention everything else with Steve's moveset.
  3. He thought Steve is going to be one of the funniest characters to play as period, which feeds into the second point.

I truly hate to dig up this horse skeleton, but didn’t ol’ Vergeben mention hearing about Hyabusa coming to Smash last year? Given that we did end up getting Minecraft content after all... maybe his other misses might come true as well?

(Apologies if you all talked about this, I haven’t been on SB in a few weeks)
It's going to be really interesting regardless. Especially now when one of the GameFAQs threads was about how he was "UTTERLY REDEEMED". Not putting the qoutation marks for sarcasm's sake, that's how the most recent GameFAQs thread was named.

I'm not inclined to believe that he's that accurate, but it's much, much better than dragging the dead horse that is Cacomallow along.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Maybe I'm alone, but I really like it.

Unironically.
I think that most people like it, Rayman fans being the one big exception. I especially laughed my ass off when the ******* suplexed someone into oblivion, Mii trailers have underrated ass gags to the point I believe Sakurai would have had Cloud rip his own goddamn head off VS Travis Mii if possible

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
One thing about Steve's costumes (both his alts and the Mii Costumes in his wave):

We got Zombie and Enderman for alts. For Miis, Creeper, Pig and the Armor...

...but not the Skeleton?

Seriously, I would have thought the Skeleton would be a way better fit for a costume than Creeper and Pig, at least.

Shroob

Sup?
Don't forget that Alpharad mentioned that:

1. He has a Funny Aerial (F-Air).
  2. His sword swings alone will create TDS - Toxic Doubles Strats. Not to mention everything else with Steve's moveset.
  3. He thought Steve is going to be one of the funniest characters to play as period, which feeds into the second point.

It's going to be really interesting regardless. Especially now when one of the GameFAQs threads was about how he was "UTTERLY REDEEMED". Not putting the qoutation marks for sarcasm's sake, that's how the most recent GameFAQs thread was named.

I'm not inclined to believe that he's that accurate, but it's much, much better than dragging the dead horse that is Cacomallow along.
Here's what he had to say:

Vergeben 2 days ago#162
axedad posted...
@Vergeben I remember you mentioned in the past that you heard that there were talks about ryu hayabusa being one of the fighters but in the end he may have been delayed to enter the second wave of DLC, now that Minecraft content finally came and as how sakurai mentioned he reworked all stages to add the blocks gimmick to the game, it is possible that hayabusa may also be coming ? What are your thoughts?
Stay tuned?
I'll keep looking into it. But the discussions did happen with Koei Tecmo in regards to Smash. Since Nintendo is so close with Koei Tecmo, I'd be surprised if those discussions fell through and didn't result in anything.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Vergeben 2 days ago#162
axedad posted...

Stay tuned?
I'll keep looking into it. But the discussions did happen with Koei Tecmo in regards to Smash. Since Nintendo is so close with Koei Tecmo, I'd be surprised if those discussions fell through and didn't result in anything.
Maybe the discussions coulda been for Byleth cause KT was involved in 3H? Idk

also let me know when he says what he’s found about the LoL rumor

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
One thing about Steve's costumes (both his alts and the Mii Costumes in his wave):

We got Zombie and Enderman for alts. For Miis, Creeper, Pig and the Armor...

...but not the Skeleton?

Seriously, I would have thought the Skeleton would be a way better fit for a costume than Creeper and Pig, at least.
I'd assume this was why Sakurai mentioned them but never showed skeletons in the back so that it could be shown to Chinese audiences, but he still showed the spirits, including one for the skeleton. Maybe it was considered too generic?

CureParfait

Smash Ace

This is Music Menu Theory. I'm not the one that made it

Apprantly it's saying that since Minecraft will be under Persona Box, that it will take 2 New Franchises to make a perfect square. Therefor, 2 of the DLC Characters are coming from represented Franchises. I don't know how important a Perfect Square is, but eh
My guesses if that theory is correct

Represented- Pokemon, Mario series
New Franchises- Guilty Gear (or Blazblue), Danganronpa

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Can't be about that. Koei has no copyright power over Three Houses at all and the topic was about including characters from them. Not to mention the possibility that those old Ryu Hayabusa rumours could be still standing on something depending on how long Steve's been in the low burner.

SKX31

Smash Master

Vergeben 2 days ago#162
axedad posted...

Stay tuned?
I wouldn't be surprised since KT already has an AT in the game. So them possibly discussing a character is not farfetched, since - again - the close relationship between KT and Nintendo that goes back 5+ years.

It's for a similar reason why I wouldn't be surprised if he gets confidents about (one version of) the LoL rumor / leak. Sure, it's a 4Chan leak (take it with a massive grain of salt), but Tencent's been hugging Nintendo for the past 2 or so years, and Nintendo's evidently comfortable with letting Tencent develop Pokemon Unite / distribute the Switch officially in China. That's not unlike Nintendo being comfortable with KT developing Hyrule Warriors games (collorary: We'll simply have to see if Nintendo is comfortable with Tencent developing console games - Tencent reportedly wants to.).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

If the talks with Koei Tecmo were specifically for Smash, it wouldn't be for Byleth because despite working on Three Houses, they have no ownership over the IP or character.

If it's Smash related, it's probably Ryu Hayabusa.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Whether people think Rayman is likely or not, I don't get how the limbless Minecraft miis affect his chances. It proves that a mii of him is possible for sure, but technically every character in speculation is possible as a Mii. Doesn't really increase nor decrease the outcome. Just my 2 cents.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
While KT obviously don't own Three Houses, I would like to remind people that they did in fact help with Byleth's trailer, so they would have had to be contacted post-launch for that regardless.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Can't be about that. Koei has no copyright power over Three Houses at all and the topic was about including characters from them. Not to mention the possibility that those old Ryu Hayabusa rumours could be still standing on something depending on how long Steve's been in the low burner.
Maybe they talked with them about sending Sakurai a beta build of 3H so he could actually know what character he was going to make

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
While KT obviously don't own Three Houses, I would like to remind people that they did in fact help with Byleth's trailer, so they would have had to be contacted post-launch for that regardless.

Makes since that Koei Tecmo did the dialog, since all three of the writes for Three Houses are Koei Tecmo employees.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I humbly disagree with most of this post (not trying to be mean). Here are my thoughts:

CacoMallow is not dead yet. I would say it is unlikely to happen but not dead. Why did it take so long to get Gil who was in Smash 4? Where is the Geno Mii costume? It seems like Nintendo is content to hold off on some Mii costumes as has been show with how they handled the returning costumes.
Here's the thing. A returning costume with "the work already done and just needing to be ported over" (it doesn't work that way, but let's just pretend they don't have to recreate it from the ground up for a new engine) is not the same as a brand new costume needing to be made from scratch. I mean sure, it's entirely possible some DLC team interns are just instructed to make a ton of mii costumes since they don't take as much time as characters in the same way Xander Mobus is made to announce a ton of characters that will never be in the game to prevent leaks from him, but do you really think that's likely? When by all indication some of these characters need all hands on deck like with Steve? If anything, it sounds like making the Mii costumes ON TOP of programming the actual fighters make the former a secondary concern and just having them ready to go years in advance seems unlikely.

Mario characters could still happen. Sakurai rarely shows any pattern with his reveals. This is one of the few reveals that has lined up with an actual event (the Minecraft Live event). Traditionally, character reveals have NOT lined up with any anniversary or events, even when it was convenient to do so.
Sure, but there were people absolutely convinced that Geno was coming in FP7 based on the tournament and the anniversary in general. So if we flip that line of thinking around, the first reaction shouldn't be "oh, I guess the tournament meant nothing", it should be "I guess we're not getting Geno/Waluigi".

Personally, I think the tournament meant nothing. If Geno happens, he happens, but he will be unrelated to Cacomallow or anything that has to do with the anniversary.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
So like, why does everyone think Dante has a chance in smash? Just cus Itsuno said DMC had to be on switch before he’d be in smash? I really do want Dante or Nero, but I really don’t think there’s any evidence for them? Some leakers have heard him? Are they credible? Sure there’s M theory, but that could be any character from an M-rated game! I’d say something from Monster Hunter has more of a chance since that series has sold way more and is probably more popular. Like, what substantial evidence is there for Dante? And I’m not talking like Geno coincidences, I mean real cold hard evidence for Dante.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Maybe they talked with them about sending Sakurai a beta build of 3H so he could actually know what character he was going to make
Well, according to the statement posted above, they only collaborated in the dialogues, so that's out of the question.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So like, why does everyone think Dante has a chance in smash? Just cus Itsuno said DMC had to be on switch before he’d be in smash? I really do want Dante or Nero, but I really don’t think there’s any evidence for them? Some leakers have heard him? Are they credible? Sure there’s M theory, but that could be any character from an M-rated game! I’d say something from Monster Hunter has more of a chance since that series has sold way more and is probably more popular. Like, what substantial evidence is there for Dante? And I’m not talking like Geno coincidences, I mean real cold hard evidence for Dante.
bandwagoning from those Tweets a few years back most likely.

I don't think he's as likely as people make him out to be and that Monster Hunter has a far better shot regarding another Capcom rep. Watch that Monster Hunter gets in coming with a Dante Mii Swordfighter. :yeahboi:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Were those old Hayabusa leaks "Sakurai talked with KT", or "Sakurai talked with KT about Ryu Hayabusa"? I genuinely can't remember.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Were those old Hayabusa leaks "Sakurai talked with KT", or "Sakurai talked with KT about Ryu Hayabusa"? I genuinely can't remember.
They were a pair of leaks involving two guys who claimed to have heard most of the DLC characters (with Ryu being among them) and Vergeben claimed they probably just heard of talks between Nintendo and K-T.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Itsuno cheekily acknowledging Dante's Smash popularity and claiming we need to demand DMC for Switch first doesn't really mean anything as it's a good way to boost publicity. DMC getting confirmed for the Switch shortly after, meaning both Itsuno and Nintendo were both very much aware that DMC was heading to the Switch before Itsuno said that suggests nothing either. But DMC3 getting a console exclusive definitive edition is VERY strange, especially as 3's been brought over to every non Nintendo console since the ps2.

TLDR: DMC3 Switch port sus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom