• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Now a Capcom character is by no means guaranteed, but given its status and that its been the position of Smash DLC before, well people will conclude that is has a decent chance as much as anything. With them I believe its a case of people having looked at the significant franchises that have been done (Mega Man, Street Fighter) ones that are considered less likely via Spirits (Resident Evil) and then essentially concluding at the really big ones that are left (Devil May Cry & Monster Hunter). There are other Capcom fighters as possibilities certainly, but given we just got a character from the best selling game of all time, its naturally a little harder to imagine going from that to the likes of Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins.

But with Smash you never know. How many would have guessed that an SNK character would get a selection given its relatively diminished status as of late? There's nothing really stopping Nintendo from selecting a Phoenix Wright unless you assume they're going for an assumed big AAA franchise for every character, which as we've seen they haven't.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I just don't know how they would promote an M-rated character with the ESRB's stricter rules about promotion of M rated games.

Whether people think Rayman is likely or not, I don't get how the limbless Minecraft miis affect his chances. It proves that a mii of him is possible for sure, but technically every character in speculation is possible as a Mii. Doesn't really increase nor decrease the outcome. Just my 2 cents.
From what I've gathered, it's more about when NDAs would have taken affect and when Ubisoft employees stopped talking about Smash. It's not exactly new, but with Steve apparently having talks since 5 years ago, some old things we thought were bunk might have actually been about talks happening for characters appearing much later. Rayman is one of the characters that are a bit suspicious because of that. It could mean nothing, but it also might not.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just don't know how they would promote an M-rated character with the ESRB's stricter rules about promotion of M rated games.
What do you mean? The characters still the character even if they can’t show the logo. And that’s LITERALLY only the US so it’s a nonproblem.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
From what I've gathered, it's more about when NDAs would have taken affect and when Ubisoft employees stopped talking about Smash. It's not exactly new, but with Steve apparently having talks since 5 years ago, some old things we thought were bunk might have actually been about talks happening for characters appearing much later. Rayman is one of the characters that are a bit suspicious because of that. It could mean nothing, but it also might not.
Oh yeah I understand people speculating that. I'm just saying I've seen people say "Limbless miis? Damn Rayman's chances just went down." Which doesn't make sense cause any character was possible as a Mii from the start.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What do you mean? The characters still the character even if they can’t show the logo. And that’s LITERALLY only the US so it’s a nonproblem.
They would be forced to just shadowdrop the character in the US with no fanfare, which I don't think that Sakurai would do.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
....How? The character is still going to be in Smash and their series will be called whatever it is in game. A 25-40 minute trailer is just a trailer.
"Super Smash Bros. x Ryu Hayabusa" won't be as hype bringing as "Super Smash Bros. x Ninja Gaiden". It would put all the focus on Ryu himself rather than on his franchise. This is fine with Mii Costumes, but not for a full on playable character.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
"Super Smash Bros. x Ryu Hayabusa" won't be as hype bringing as "Super Smash Bros. x Ninja Gaiden". It would put all the focus on Ryu himself rather than on his franchise.
Kiiiinda thinking you're looking at things from a too binary perspective.

Ehm, right, where was I, there. Officially in NA they wouldn't use "Devil May Cry" "Ninja Gaiden" (unless they use the NES loophole), "Mortal Kombat" etc.

But unofficial news spread? That is, people sharing news of Twitter, Youtube etc.? That's not going to be limited by ESRB, and of course a lot of people would equate the M-rated characters with their respective franchises, ESRB rules be damned. (and that's not getting into the JP / EU streams which IIRC NA people can still access...)

Shroob

Sup?
"Super Smash Bros. x Ryu Hayabusa" won't be as hype bringing as "Super Smash Bros. x Ninja Gaiden". It would put all the focus on Ryu himself rather than on his franchise.
And again, why couldn't they take the loophole?

Like, it's not the first time where they've hyper-focused on a certain point of a franchise's life and not its newest installment.

1601768286966.png

They haven't used this Castlevania logo since... I wanna say the SNES? N64?

Just say Ryu's from the classic Ninja Gaiden series on NES, boom loophole.

I dont recall the NES games being rated M. Just treat him as a Retro and call it a day.View attachment 288245
That could get a bit awkward if he pulls moves or music from newer games. I don't know how the ESRB handles people talking about games, but if just mentioning an M-rated game is a concern, we either see a very censored presentation or the presentation is rated M.

That is, assuming ESRB cares about talking points, and they might not.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Itsuno cheekily acknowledging Dante's Smash popularity and claiming we need to demand DMC for Switch first doesn't really mean anything as it's a good way to boost publicity. DMC getting confirmed for the Switch shortly after, meaning both Itsuno and Nintendo were both very much aware that DMC was heading to the Switch before Itsuno said that suggests nothing either. But DMC3 getting a console exclusive definitive edition is VERY strange, especially as 3's been brought over to every non Nintendo console since the ps2.

TLDR: DMC3 Switch port sus
Hmm🤔 I guess I didn’t see the significance of the that.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I don't think that they would want to represent just the classics, especially considering that there is far more moveset potential in the modern games.
Using the classic logo wouldn't mean they'd just be representing the old games though.
Castlevania uses it's old logo but they've represented almost the entire series, including the Lords of Shadow games which are rated M

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That could get a bit awkward if he pulls moves or music from newer games. I don't know how the ESRB handles people talking about games, but if just mentioning an M-rated game is a concern, we either see a very censored presentation or the presentation is rated M.

That is, assuming ESRB cares about talking points, and they might not.
I mean, assuming the only issue is the title, I'd imagine the ESRB wouldn't care too much about the content.

But in the end, the whole thing's stupid. America not liking M-rated titles didn't stop Nintendo from adding the Mii Costumes, and it won't stop them from adding a fighter.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
They would be forced to just shadowdrop the character in the US with no fanfare, which I don't think that Sakurai would do.
No they wouldn’t? It’s not like showing the character shoots up the rating. It’s the games logo. Which is why Altair, Vault Boy, and Travis were all presented as x their name instead of x their series. All they gotta do is change the Smash x “Halo” or “Doom” to Smash x Master Chief or Doom Slayer which is ironic. You don’t see them showing Bayonetta and kicking up the rating.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No they wouldn’t? It’s not like showing the character shoots up the rating. It’s the games logo. Which is why Altair, Vault Boy, and Travis were all presented as x their name instead of x their series. All they gotta do is change the Smash x “Halo” or “Doom” to Smash x Master Chief or Doom Slayer which is ironic.
It would overall lessen Smash as a crossover by putting all the focus straight on Ryu himself rather than the Ninja Gaiden franchise. I honestly think that they'll just go for a tamer Koei Tecmo IP.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It would overall lessen Smash as a crossover by putting all the focus straight on Ryu himself rather than the Ninja Gaiden franchise. I honestly think that they'll just go for a tamer Koei Tecmo IP.
Hayabusa is less of a problem because the old games weren’t even rated M so they could just use the NES games logo. Don’t even have to do the workaround I mentioned.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I can't see them dedicating three DLC packs to Microsoft characters.
I'm taking that risk. I know there aren't any patterns but going for it anyway.

2019: Banjo
2020: Steve
2021: Master Chief

Also factoring in the relationship Nintendo and Microsoft have.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
No they wouldn’t? It’s not like showing the character shoots up the rating. It’s the games logo. Which is why Altair, Vault Boy, and Travis were all presented as x their name instead of x their series. All they gotta do is change the Smash x “Halo” or “Doom” to Smash x Master Chief or Doom Slayer which is ironic.
Smash x Doom

Smash x Doom Slayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom