• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Okay, but why would he be considered? We know that Smash games rarely deviate from their project plan, with the only real known exception being Sonic in Brawl. By the time that 2 was out, I'm pretty sure that Ultimate was way too far into its development to even consider someone like him.
Unless you're referring to the first Fighter Pass, in which case, fair enough.

There's no need to entertain him. Just move on.
Chorus Kids.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wait if Steve was in the works for five years then what would’ve happened if there was no Fighters Pass 2?
Five years ago the talks were not "hey can you put Steve in Smash, but only in the second wave of DLC to a game that's three years away?"

It was
Party A: "Minecraft in Smash?"
and Party B: "let me get back to you on that"

If nothing concrete had materialized, or the game didn't go past FP1, Steve just wouldn't have made it in. I'm sure he's not the first third-party to have a tumultuous path to the roster, and I'm sure some of those paths don't end up with inclusion.

SKX31

Smash Master
Heyo

Ya want a really ****ed theory?

Multi weapons theory

Go
I'mma use everyone's favorite bespectabled scientist for this:

Yup, that's right. Gordon Freeman.

Crowbar? Check.

Hornet Gun / Hivehand? Yes.

Snarks? Of course.

Hopper Mines? Gotcha.

RPG? Yup.

Gravity Gun? You bet.

Fits extremely neatly with this theory, so of course he's a lock. :4pacman:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hmm...so the reason why rating matters is because it was removed from advertising materials for Volume 2?

That's potentially more interesting than I thought.

EDIT: Actually can somebody show me what they're talking about? I may understand it more that way. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
fair enough. I interpreted it as "I would've liked to add an Arms character and Mr. Xeno Blade the second, but the timeline didn't line up" but it's not definite.

(I feel it's worth adding that I have absolutely no stakes in the Xenoblade series. I own Definitive Edition and that's it.(
That's still very different from being considered or outright planned, for some reason people don't seem to realize that.

Also, question, anyone else feel like today didn't actually happen? An AT model becoming playable, a character requested for well over a decade becoming a Mii costume despite having everything going for him and Minecraft being real with the jankiest animated model in the game? I still can't wrap my head around it, Steve's techroll is so ****ing ominous too

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I truly hate to dig up this horse skeleton, but didn’t ol’ Vergeben mention hearing about Hyabusa coming to Smash last year? Given that we did end up getting Minecraft content after all... maybe his other misses might come true as well?

(Apologies if you all talked about this, I haven’t been on SB in a few weeks)

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Chorus Kids.
Also fair enough, but that's kind of the opposite situation, wouldn't you say? Like, a character being scrapped over the course of development isn't quite the same as an entirely new character being added in despite not being part of the project plan.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't even think the Negotiations were the problem for Steve (though it could have been an hassle). I think the main thing was just Implementing him in Smash. as it seemed by time of Base game and even FP1, Sakurai might have saw the task too daunting, which might be why Negotiations were put on hold for 5 Years

Like if you compare Steve to the base game newcomers (which there weren't too many unique Ones) Steve is Crazy complicated. I don't even think Hero is as Complicated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in other News, I did the math regarding Mii Costumes, and my Results

I think we are getting at least 1 character from a Represented Franchise, or we are getting a character that might have issues with costumes like Banjo (Crash could fit the bill)

Ivander

Smash Legend
I just realised.....

We keep questioning why the Monster Hunter Mii costumes haven't come back considering they'd be perfect for coming back with Rathalos in-game. I just remembered that because the Monster Hunter Mii costumes actually change between genders, the female versions of the outfits have up-skirt shots.

They might've been more forgiving to the outfits for Smash 4, but now, maybe not so much?

Shroob

Sup?
Hmm...so the reason why rating matters is because it was removed from advertising materials for Volume 2?

That's potentially more interesting than I thought.

EDIT: Actually can somebody show me what they're talking about? I may understand it more that way. Thanks in advance!
1601760847984.png

Remember this?

1601760860568.png

Notice a difference?

Notice how the 2nd pass doesn't have 'em? Notice how M-rated games don't get their franchises named directly?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just realised.....

We keep questioning why the Monster Hunter Mii costumes haven't come back considering they'd be perfect for coming back with Rathalos in-game. I just remembered that because the Monster Hunter Mii costumes actually change between genders, the female versions of the outfits have up-skirt shots.

They might've been more forgiving to the outfits for Smash 4, but now, maybe not so much?
I doubt it, otherwise Bayo and Palutena would have needed to get changed once again, Sakurai already expressed frustration with CERO being finicky about upskirts in Smash 4, Wonder Pink's trophy being the best example

D

Deleted member

Wait if Steve was in the works for five years then what would’ve happened if there was no Fighters Pass 2?
Didn't Sakurai mention when he announced Fighter Pass 2, he originally thought that 1 or 2 fighters would suffice.

I would guess that Steve is one of them if he really was planned for 5 years, so probably would be sold as standalone DLC.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Okay, but why would he be considered? We know that Smash games rarely deviate from their project plan, with the only real known exception being Sonic in Brawl. By the time that 2 was out, I'm pretty sure that Ultimate was way too far into its development to even consider someone like him.
Unless you're referring to the first Fighter Pass, in which case, fair enough.
Probably the same reason ARMS was considered, the same reason why Sakurai mentioned those 2 specific games when talking about obvious inclusions, and why he explained the reason they ultimately had no fighter.
Minecraft was considered for years, yet still didn't enter proper planning until last year.
I understand some people have twisted Sakurai's statement to mean "they were planned from the beginning and didn't make it due to lack of time" but you people are now doing the opposite with trying to twist it into meaning there were never any talks regarding these games. If there weren't why even talk about them? Why explain their absence, and not the absence of any other game released after 2015?

It's funny how most people who actually read that interview walk away with the same impression of what Sakurai meant except for the people who really, really dislike XB2.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm still convinced M theory means nothing for the fighters pass because it revolves around American editors knowing who all the characters are. Sakurai and his team aren't editing the U.S. versions of Smash reveals. NoA is. And we know that fighters are being kept secret even within the company.
They could just have been told to remove those graphics without being told why.

They could just have been told to remove those graphics without being told why.
By who, though? Do you think Sakurai's team has a working knowledge of the ESRB? I could see the possibility that maybe someone like Doug Bowser knows who the characters are, but there's also a good possibility he has no idea. We don't know either way, so we still can't make any solid conclusions as to what the motivations are. It's just as likely (or more) to be a precautionary measure as it is to be a big plan based on known info.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I understand some people have twisted Sakurai's statement to mean "they were planned from the beginning and didn't make it due to lack of time" but you people are now doing the opposite with trying to twist it into meaning there were never any talks regarding these games. If there weren't why even talk about them? Why explain their absence, and not the absence of any other game released after 2015?
. . .Because people were loudly wondering about their exclusions? There were plenty of people who predicated/requested characters from both games for base roster, so it makes sense to explain why they weren't included. Still doesn't mean that they were considered.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
By who, though? Do you think Sakurai's team has a working knowledge of the ESRB? I could see the possibility that maybe someone like Doug Bowser knows who the characters are, but there's also a good possibility he has no idea. We don't know either way, so we still can't make any solid conclusions as to what the motivations are. It's just as likely (or more) to be a precautionary measure as it is to be a big plan based on known info.
NoA informs NCL of ESRB's new policies -> NCL evaluates how this will affect their titles -> communicates necessary changes back to NoA.

I.D.

Smash Lord
. . .Because people were loudly wondering about their exclusions? There were plenty of people who predicated/requested characters from both games for base roster, so it makes sense to explain why they weren't included. Still doesn't mean that they were considered.
Oh? Are you some sort of mind reader? Sakurai certainly didn't imply he was talking about people's expectations at any point during that interview, and the interviewer didn't ask about that sort of thing either. Seems like a whole lot of assumptions to me.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Oh jeese, forgot to respond. My bad! Been busy today.

Alright im not a math wiz xD how do you find out the future dates through this?
To respond to Thewafflemaker2000 first, you have to convert the dates. Every date is within the scale of January 2019. Specifically, as an example, 0 is December 31st, 2018 while 1 is January 1st, 2019. This also means if you put February 1st, 2019 into the equation, it has to be January 32nd, 2019 if that makes sense.

I made this decision because all dates had to be within their own universal scale, or the math wouldn't work. And January 2019 seemed like the easiest to do.

I'm so happy this wasn't on my SAT's. Why are there two columns beneath half the dates that are unexplained???
Those are just the preconverted dates to the scale of I mentioned earlier. Just for ease of use, I put them there like that lol.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I got two things to say after the Steve presentation. First as a Travis supporter I gotta get this out of the way.

Now for M theory, its looking more and more likely something is going on with the ESRB. Japan and Europe have a completely different rating system and board and yet they still get shown the logo's for rated M games. Plus I wonder if M Theory could explain why Joker's presentation was shadow drop with the Nintendo direct narrator instead of Sakurai? That presentation is such an outline in fact Joker as a whole is kinda an outliner due to being the only rated M fighter so far and his presentation being the only one without Sakurai and to get shadow drop.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Plus I wonder if M Theory could explain why Joker's presentation was shadow drop with the Nintendo direct narrator instead of Sakurai? That presentation is such an outline in fact Joker as a whole is kinda an outliner due to being the only rated M fighter so far and his presentation being the only one without Sakurai and to get shadow drop.
The ESRB changed their rules after Terry was released. We got the Sakurai Presents series after Joker because it was cheaper, nothing else.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
But ya, if we're doing M theory as a potential happening, putting my chips in on Dante for no reason other than I see him as the most likely Capcom rep, in my opinion, and nothing more.

We still got 2 Monster Hunter Mii costumes, and I don't see those two coming one at a time, those will 100% come together, so if they're gonna drop anywhere, I feel like it'll be Dante, again, IMO.

NoA informs NCL of ESRB's new policies -> NCL evaluates how this will affect their titles -> communicates necessary changes back to NoA.
Very possible.

The other thing is that they already had to deal with the problem because Joker exists and may have just kept things consistent because nothing with the ESRB has changed since then.

I do want to say that I don't think an M-rated character is unlikely. I just don't think the marketing stuff tells us anything.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
M theory is worth checking into but I don't think that Hayabusa would be the M rated one as the original NES game I'm pretty sure is not rated M and they would probably use that as the game they choose to associate him with on the pack screen but both series would be represented

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
M theory is worth checking into but I don't think that Hayabusa would be the M rated one as the original NES game I'm pretty sure is not rated M and they would probably use that as the game they choose to associate him with
They'd probably represent classic and modern Ninja Gaiden alike in the challenger pack, and use the classic games as a loophole so it's not Super Smash Bros. X Ryu Hayabusa.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh? Are you some sort of mind reader? Sakurai certainly didn't imply he was talking about people's expectations at any point during that interview, and the interviewer didn't ask about that sort of thing either. Seems like a whole lot of assumptions to me.
Uh-huh. And of course your interpretation of that interview is entirely assumption free.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Also, if I were a betting man, here's the potential amiibo dates I'd look out for:

• February 12th, 2021: 3D World Launch
  • March 26th, 2021: Possible Switch Pro Launch

imo, I think March 26th would make the most sense because it would probably be a repeat of September 20th, 2019. With it being a Nintendo launch day of sorts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom