• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I've been exploring the web, looking around here. I've seen some people say that Steve is the worst addition to Smash Bros and is so mind-boggingly bad that's transcended any level of absurdity. Is Steve really that bad for some of you guys?

I know I expressed early in the day that I was very happy with the reveal, so I don't want to come off as rubbing it in. It's just that, why is it such a bad thing that a character from a kid's game gets into a game that's aimed for kids? (E-10+ to be specific).

There's four slots left, and some people are acting like this is the end of the world, that there's no hope for the rest of the pass.

You can feel free to disagree with me, but I think Steve certainly earned his spot into Smash and I'm more than happy he's in. Minecraft, one of the best selling games. He has a unique, extremely creative moveset that looks like a lot of fun to learn (in my opinion). He brings a unique stage and music.

If a character comes out in the future that I don't like (which is inevitable), I'll congratulate the fans and express disappointment. But some of these reactions to Steve are so dramatic that it sounds like it's coming straight from the mouth of "one of those cringey Minecraft kids."

Nobody is owed anything. It's acceptable to be disappointed, and any negative feelings to the reveal are valid. But all I'm saying is, if a character I dislike gets in, I'm not going to act like it's the worst thing to ever happen to Smash.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I've been exploring the web, looking around here. I've seen some people say that Steve is the worst addition to Smash Bros and is so mind-boggingly bad that's transcended any level of absurdity. Is Steve really that bad for some of you guys?

I know I expressed early in the day that I was very happy with the reveal, so I don't want to come off as rubbing it in. It's just that, why is it such a bad thing that a character from a kid's game gets into a game that's aimed for kids? (E-10+ to be specific).

There's four slots left, and some people are acting like this is the end of the world, that there's no hope for the rest of the pass.

You can feel free to disagree with me, but I think Steve certainly earned his spot into Smash and I'm more than happy he's in. Minecraft, one of the best selling games. He has a unique, extremely creative moveset that looks like a lot of fun to learn (in my opinion). He brings a unique stage and music.

If a character comes out in the future that I don't like (which is inevitable), I'll congratulate the fans and express disappointment. But some of these reactions to Steve are so dramatic that it sounds like it's coming straight from the mouth of "one of those cringey Minecraft kids."

Nobody is owed anything. It's acceptable to be disappointed, and any negative feelings to the reveal are valid. But all I'm saying is, if a character I dislike gets in, I'm not going to act like it's the worst thing to ever happen to Smash.
I am excited for Steve, actually. I agree with what you said, by the way.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I might as well post this here, but since Fighters Pass 1 every challenger has consistently come with 4 NEW costume and 0-2 returning ones. A week or so ago people found out that Nintendo skipped a couple posts that would likely come with the announcement of fighter 7. I think in total 7-8 posts were skipped, and people theorized that we'll be getting 6 mii costumes due to this, which has only happened with Joker's presentation.

So if trends are to be followed, it'll be 4 new costumes and 2 returning costumes. Which ones do you think will return; the costumes are very likely to be paired.
  • 2x Monster Hunter costumes
  • Geno and Chocobo
  • Gil and Lloyd

I've stated this before, but I am really interested in the upcoming costume wave. If 2x MH comes, that'll not only affect the chances of MH; but also someone like Dante as well. People would argue that if Dante was planned, they would've just saved MH costumes for Dante (Kinda like Rayman and the Ubisoft costumes) and Dante could have came with 4 DMC and the 2 MH costumes. Lloyd returning would practically kill the chances of a Namco character. Geno would deconfirm... well, Geno.

Obviously this is assuming that trends consistently follow through, and that the predictions of a 6th mii costume is correct. If either is incorrect, it doesn't really matter.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly depending on if its sheer size was a major pull for Steve's inclusion (I must stress that while the size of Minecraft was definitely something that factored into his inclusion we don't know how large a role it played) then I think a Pokemon is pretty likely. Nowhere near confirmed but pretty likely since Pokemon big yada yada, new gens always get represented just as long as there is an opportunity for them to add one yada yada.

In terms of Mario characters, I'm still pretty confident we are getting some fan favourite character (Like BK etc) and the most popular one not in the game yet to me is Geno or Waluigi so im thinking a Mario rep is likely too. More confident in Geno tbh but we'll see
Truly- based on how Sakurai has spoken, I think Nintendo seems to ask for series. Im not sure if I truly believe this, but they asked for 'ARMS, New Game, Minecraft," according to him. So, if Nintendo asked for a 'Mario character,' it wouldnt be either of these, it would be Paper Mario, Captain Toad, or perhaps someone else. I don't see how Nintendo would find it beneficial to add Geno as more than a costume.

TheBeastHimself

I am excited for Steve, actually. I agree with what you said, by the way.
Thank you. I'm very excited for Steve, and I believe there's a fine line between disappointment and trying to ruin people's hype.

Like, imagine Travis Touchdown gets in and everyone praises him in this thread, then I come in saying "what a stupid character from a game barely anyone has heard. The bar keeps getting lower for Smash characters, guess they'll let anyone in at this point." Of course, a quote like that doesn't ruin somebody's day, but it just adds unnecessary negativity to the people who are happy.

I guarantee you some of you guys have a most wanted that I would roll my eyes at if they got in, but I'm not going to give you a powerpoint presentation on why they suck when they get in.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Truly- based on how Sakurai has spoken, I think Nintendo seems to ask for series. Im not sure if I truly believe this, but they asked for 'ARMS, New Game, Minecraft," according to him. So, if Nintendo asked for a 'Mario character,' it wouldnt be either of these, it would be Paper Mario, Captain Toad, or perhaps someone else. I don't see how Nintendo would find it beneficial to add Geno as more than a costume.
It's one of my main reasons for doubting Geno. Not only do they not own him, but they seem to want nothing to do with characters like him and Waluigi.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Xbox has a thing to say regarding the criticism over Steve's animations :p

There really is no way to improve Steve. If you try to animate him like a normal human being, he looks worse. If you try to make him look normal then he doesn't look like he belongs in Minecraft.

Steve is such an ugly looking character in my opinion.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Thank you. I'm very excited for Steve, and I believe there's a fine line between disappointment and trying to ruin people's hype.

Like, imagine Travis Touchdown gets in and everyone praises him in this thread, then I come in saying "what a stupid character from a game barely anyone has heard. The bar keeps getting lower for Smash characters, guess they'll let anyone in at this point." Of course, a quote like that doesn't ruin somebody's day, but it just adds unnecessary negativity to the people who are happy.

I guarantee you some of you guys have a most wanted that I would roll my eyes at if they got in, but I'm not going to give you a powerpoint presentation on why they suck when they get in.
Quite sad, isn't it?

But yeah, the fact that people think they are "owed" a character, I say, is one of the reasons, if not, the reason why we, as the Smash fanbase are quite divided and resort to bullying others in the first place.

TheBeastHimself

Maybe I just have a very stupid sense of humor, but I think Steve being so out of place is absolutely hilarious and also the point. I mean, the first time they show him in game, he literally turns to the camera and tea-bags, as if to say "don't take me seriously because I'm not meant to be taken seriously."

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As someone who does not like Steve, even I can agree that talking about Byleth's mixed reception at this point is just absurd. It's been close to ten months people...
It doesnt matter if it has been two years. I still think it was the wrong choice. And I will say that for Bayonetta, Corrin, and keep that statement coming. I spent six whole dollars on each- I can ***** for an eternity, according to internet law.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I might as well post this here, but since Fighters Pass 1 every challenger has consistently come with 4 NEW costume and 0-2 returning ones. A week or so ago people found out that Nintendo skipped a couple posts that would likely come with the announcement of fighter 7. I think in total 7-8 posts were skipped, and people theorized that we'll be getting 6 mii costumes due to this, which has only happened with Joker's presentation.

So if trends are to be followed, it'll be 4 new costumes and 2 returning costumes. Which ones do you think will return; the costumes are very likely to be paired.
  • 2x Monster Hunter costumes
  • Geno and Chocobo
  • Gil and Lloyd

I've stated this before, but I am really interested in the upcoming costume wave. If 2x MH comes, that'll not only affect the chances of MH; but also someone like Dante as well. People would argue that if Dante was planned, they would've just saved MH costumes for Dante (Kinda like Rayman and the Ubisoft costumes) and Dante could have came with 4 DMC and the 2 MH costumes. Lloyd returning would practically kill the chances of a Namco character. Geno would deconfirm... well, Geno.

Obviously this is assuming that trends consistently follow through, and that the predictions of a 6th mii costume is correct. If either is incorrect, it doesn't really matter.
Well if they are doing 6 costumes again, it adds credence that this is the last of the DLC. We stopped getting 6 costumes with Hero, around the time it was said FP2 was Decided upon to be made. going back to 6 Costumes would show these are the last characters for real

I think Monster Hunter fits the best for Steve personally. I think Gil and Lloyd would fit better with an RPG characters since we all know we will get at least one in this past 95% sure.

There's also something else I wonder

1. Do they also ask for Content from Specific companies, like Nintendo saying they want a character from SNK, or a Character from Atlus, something like that?

2. Even if Sakurai is not able to make a character from Nintendo's Suggestion, do they make a comprisise and go for Mii Costumes/Spirits instead?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I thought about that too

what might have helped is that Minecraft was used as "Leakbait" for Banjo in FP1, Since after that happened, i bet people stopped paying attention to Minecraft getting in, until Steve just showed up like that. I guess also because Microsoft also worked on Smash by allowing banjo, negotations were probably much easier to finalize in Secret for Steve. I mean, if this was 3 years in the making, they were using Smoke screens and Sneaky tactics. Harada would be Proud

Honestly, that kinda makes me think we won't get a new Western company in the game though, unless it's Crash. honestly I'm seeing Crash as a mii costume at best right now though, I don't know about you
That doesnt seem possible. A crash who cannot spin is not Crash for anyone. And the Miis cannot spin.

TheBeastHimself

It doesnt matter if it has been two years. I still think it was the wrong choice. And I will say that for Bayonetta, Corrin, and keep that statement coming. I spent six whole dollars on each- I can ***** for an eternity, according to internet law.
I'm curious. What makes you dislike the inclusion of Bayonetta, Corrin, and Byleth but not Steve? I feel like most people disliking those characters would have a disliking for Steve.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Random question

what would you like to see in version 9.0 overall?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
There really is no way to improve Steve. If you try to animate him like a normal human being, he looks worse. If you try to make him look normal then he doesn't look like he belongs in Minecraft.

Its almost like his design is complete garbage and thats why a lot of people DONT LIKE HIM.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Steve is an ugly character, but I thought something like the left one looked fine, all things considered.

I still think it's preferable for the purposes of Smash, frankly. And the pose is more dynamic.

Even most of the mockups I saw, which were presumably made by Steve fans, were made with something closer to this than what we got.

Walmart Gaming says it's Geno so I believe them.

/s
Jokes on you, Sakurai runs the Walmart Gaming Canada account.

It's the perfect disguise.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know, I guess an important question to ask is why would Nintendo choose your Most wanted?
Kazuma Kiryu is practically the modern day mascot for Sega in Japan.

All things considered if Sega got a character is be willing to bet they'd pick him for that alone.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Idk I'm not at all confident in Captain Toad unfortunately and Paper Mario is a long shot due to the spirit event. Although it's somewhat different due to tehm.having their own series and such, BK were pretty much in the same boat as Geno. Yeah they were more iconic than him once but in the modern era they are in a similar boat where they were only going to be picked based on fan demand as history from 20 years prior would have made little business sense. I still view those 2 as the most likely as in this era it's a similar situation. Still think it's likely they just outright pick a fan favourite. I'm sure Banjo got Nintendo more open to the idea of adding characters who pretty much appeal solely to the fandom.

D

Deleted member

It is very apparent that the 2 most consistent things to come out of DLC are characters having a specific gimmick/mechanic that's mostly based from the games they come from and everyone having a cinematic Final Smash. These have been the pattern for both Fighter Passes so far, and I don't think that's going to change. It certainly makes me wonder what the gimmicks/mechanics for the next 4 characters are going to be. I even have a few ideas for certain franchises, but I'll save those for after the Steve presentation airs in case certain Mii Costumes get revealed and it happens to be somebody I talked about.

I also have to mention Steve's block ability must've taken a ****load of time to work on with what Sakurai said about reworking all the stages, and that's probably why we haven't gotten a reveal for quite some time. He does seem like the big character for the E3 reveal, but even without COVID striking the whole world to shambles, would they have managed to get a trailer ready in time for their E3 Direct?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm curious. What makes you dislike the inclusion of Bayonetta, Corrin, and Byleth but not Steve? I feel like most people disliking those characters would have a disliking for Steve.
I have personal picks, absolutely.
But overall, I want the new fighters to actually mean something.
I think Corrin, Byleth, and Bayonetta, were basically trash.

Now-- gameplay wise, yes, I think they are all fun. And that weighs in some. But as far as speculation goes, I want a character of gravitas. It's fun to be surprised, but it's more fun (and longer lasting) for a character to impact the importance of Smash as a gaming legacy museum.

Random question

what would you like to see in version 9.0 overall?
Mine's pretty dull, but just keep improving balance of characters that aren't very good. A lot of balance patches have done wonders for characters, and I'd like to see that continue.

I don't think it's happening, but I do want a boss rush mode. That was some of the most fun I had in Brawl back in the day.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It's very very divided. Minecraft is one of the most sold and played games, so of course there's lots of fans out there.
I think they're a good addition to smash, but they don't mean much to me, and i also understand the sentiment of not wanting minecraft in smash, it's such a bland character, not everyone puts much into them, if minecraft doesn't have a special meaning to them.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Steve is an ugly character, but I thought something like the left one looked fine, all things considered.

I still think it's preferable for the purposes of Smash, frankly. And the pose is more dynamic.

Even most of the mockups I saw, which were presumably made by Steve fans, were made with something closer to this than what we got.

Jokes on you, Sakurai runs the Walmart Gaming Canada account.

It's the perfect disguise.
I like the Ultimate render of Steve better; he might be ugly in both versions (he definitely is, but that's part of the charm), but in the Smash one I think it's more expressive. Yes, it seems less expressive but I think it's actually more. The Ultimate render seems like he's trying hard to look like a pile of blocks, he is saying "I'm just a block" so much, while the left one is more plastic-y and has a soulless "New Super Mario Bros"-like feel, generic running pose included.

ANd BTW I can't wait to see cubic Kirby.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Idk I'm not at all confident in Captain Toad unfortunately and Paper Mario is a long shot due to the spirit event. Although it's somewhat different due to tehm.having their own series and such, BK were pretty much in the same boat as Geno. Yeah they were more iconic than him once but in the modern era they are in a similar boat where they were only going to be picked based on fan demand as history from 20 years prior would have made little business sense. I still view those 2 as the most likely as in this era it's a similar situation. Still think it's likely they just outright pick a fan favourite. I'm sure Banjo got Nintendo more open to the idea of adding characters who pretty much appeal solely to the fandom.
Similar, sure. The same? I just dont see it that way. I mean, Banjo not only had his own franchise, but was on the box for the N64. Geno... works as a Mii Premium costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom