• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
But are they really Indie anymore? Originially yes, for sure, but when Microsoft buys your studio, it's not really Indie anymore...
I don't really count Steve as Indie anymore. If he got in a previous entry before the Microsoft buyout I'd count but I don't really count him as such now. That's not a bad thing but I don't consider him as an indie rep.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I don’t have any words and I know you don’t want to hear them.

I understand your anger, your frustration, your sadness. Everything you’re feeling – I get it.

This isn’t the character I imagined, and certainly not the one I wanted. Thank you for being there the entire way.
haha 2019 tampa bay lightning joke

"I understood that reference"- Captain America, me

In any event, I'm fine with this, actually. Seeing Steve is hilarious and unexpected, but also proves how creative Sakurai and the dev team can be.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Eh, can't really be mad at this since the reason he's in is perfectly understandable. Have little attachment to Minecraft so I'm not freaking out either way.
Although, this is another western third-party we're having which makes me a bit concerned for two of my most wanted. They're still in a better spot than Chief at the moment. I always expected Steve over MC but I'll pour one out for his fans.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
This thread is moving really fast so I’m not sure if it was brought up. But man we missed a really good hint at Steve’s inclusion in hindsight.

One of the developers at Mojang said Steve in Smash would be stupid (specifically Steve) early last year (before Banjo), but then deleted those tweets later in the year.

I know the Steve for Smash Twitter brought that up, but I don’t remember seeing it here.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Guys, I can't even come to explain just how much of a good addition Steve was for Smash. After so many droughts and a lot of uncertainty regarding the direction this DLC season would be taking, Steve came in to remind everyone this game is a celebration of the whole media, and it's just so satisfying to finally have a direct confirmation that we're still getting big names into the roster.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I never really played Minecraft.... but it seemed like the rumor mill was heavily suggesting Tracer yesterday and I never really played Overwatch either.

Ultimately, I'm ambivalent. As long as the kit is good (and it looks good), I'm happy.

Can't wait to see the mii costumes on Saturday

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty indifferent for this one, especially knowing we've already gotten Banjo. If we hadn't, I'd be pretty down.

I never played Minecraft and honestly never really got the appeal (being 25, I knew some people who liked it), but it is certainly a big enough game and deserves it. I'm just glad it wasn't a character from a series we already have well represented, especially Pokemon. Stage looks pretty strong, which is what I always expected would be the best part of a Minecraft character.

Probably will never play as Steve, but no way it is the most disappointing though considering Byleth exists.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Fr I would've been shocked if we didn't get any bit of Minecraft content by the end of Ultimate's run. We're talking about the single best selling video game of all time.

Now if you told me like a couple hours ago it'd be more than just a Mii costume or a bunch of spirits, I would've given you the good ol Cole Phelps lol.

I love this timeline

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Why do people put Minecraft and Fortnite together in terms of Smash speculation like one means the other? :191: It's ignorant and distasteful.
How? I meant that Fortnite is another huge game? Its kind of in the same boat at Steve and made battle royale popular.

Calling me ignorant for that and not knowing what I meant doesn't work.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
I'm completely fine with Steve being in. Really a rather obvious choice after we got FP 2 announced with B&K out of the way. I actually can't believe that people are this shocked by this Minecraft content was always going to get in in some form at least.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How? I meant that Fortnite is another huge game? Its kind of in the same boat at Steve and made battle royale popular.

Calling me ignorant for that and not knowing what I meant doesn't work.
I disagree. I apologize if Sunkern's words got to you but I don't see Steve getting in as a Fortnite content guarantee.

Momentary

Smash Cadet
It may not have been my wanted but Zhuges comment got me prepped up for it and i actually found my self kind of hyped. I also think my little brother will enjoy the reveal after school so thats a plus.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I will not settle for Lloyd being a Mii costume. He will make it as a fighter. I believe. And I will keep believing 'til the day he makes it in. That is all.
Honestly given how many Tales characters use overlapping moves (Like Lloyd, Guy, Cless, and Stahn)... I could easily see a Tales "Multiple Alts" character happening and Lloyd being one of them. (With a similar TP gimmick to Hero's MP)

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
It's unfortunate seeing Master Chief get dunked on in two different DLC passes, but look at my signature - it's hard to be too upset over it ¯\(ツ)

tfw master chief could actually be a mii costume

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
I disagree. I apologize if Sunkern's words got to you but I don't see Steve getting in as a Fortnite content guarantee.
Never said it was a guarantee either, just that he has a shot. Steve was off the table for many before this.

A lot of assumptions.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
So much salt for Minecraft being perceived as a "kids" game... May I remind all of you that the game released in 2009, and none of the "kids" you talk about were even born then? You were those kids. It's a game that revolutionized gaming as a whole, with procedural generation and sandbox options. You could argue that the style doesn't fit Smash, or that you don't like the character, but don't belittle the game itself. You've probably played it, even if not for long, which is more than any of the other potential picks can ever claim.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Never said it was a guarantee either, just that he has a shot. Steve was off the table for many before this.
****, first mistake for those many, he's been on my radar for years.

A lot of assumptions.
I am blinded with pride and excitement currently, it's hard to not pop off when something that people kept saying wouldn't happen happened exactly how you said it would happen. Again, I apologize.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
We better get a FNAF Costume with the Pack

Also, I could see Travis, Reimu, and Hollow Knight (Among other Indies) Showing up as Costumes in Steve?'s Pack, considering he started as an Indie. Not to say all these characters will be costumes, but yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom