• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. I can finally be at peace.
Good thing. Cause you're damn sure not gettin Terrarian now. :p

I will say though, I wasn't really expecting this much disdain and indifference.
You should have. This was a pick for "the kids". A massive trend that a lot of us were too old for.

Here's the thing-- even if you don't like Steve, this makes the Fighters Pass more sellable, and brings huge attention to Smash as a game.
Lol, yeah, Smash Bros. was really hurtin' for attention.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I didn't call Steve, but I definitely kept telling everyone that Minecraft was possible and IF he was in, they'd stick with Minecraft's core animations and design, not needlessly revamping it to an HD white fade that Smash Ultimate has.

And I was ****ing right.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ok here's something that ticks me a bit. They gave the character a GLIDE. When they removed it from other characters XD Come on
I doubt it would work even remotely the same due to how broken it was.
I'm with Puppy here - Gliding was straight up jank in Brawl because it was insanely precise with its angling and one could attack out of the glide. Also, :metaknight:could glide twice by abusing Shuttle Loop (thus Meta Knight could Scrooge underneath the stage, which is one of the many reasons he was considered "broken" in Brawl).

Apparently gliding was supposed to return in 4, but alas, that didn't happen.

We didn't get that close of a look to really tell, but chances are that Steve's glide will not have the same maneuverability as Brawl's glide.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This times 9000. Here's the thing-- even if you don't like Steve, this makes the Fighters Pass more sellable, and brings huge attention to Smash as a game. THIS MEANS we are more likely to get a third pass. There should be 0 disappointment. (How Ironic it would be if behind the scenes, Steve makes your own character a reality in the future).
...I don't see it. It's not a matter of money, it's about project priorities. Sakurai has explicitly stated that he doesn't like working on a project for too long and has confirmed that Volume 2 is the last.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I've always thought that Steve would have an interesting moveset but It wasn't really a character I would invest all of my hype into. But once I heard the Minecraft Bat sound I popped off I'm happier than I expected.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also when u come to think about it

that initial Reddit leak was SOMEWHAT correct at least when it came to Smash

unexpected (everyone kept doubling down on MonHun, Geno, Chief, Hayabusa and other “safe” picks) and he IS popular in the west

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This times 9000. Here's the thing-- even if you don't like Steve, this makes the Fighters Pass more sellable, and brings huge attention to Smash as a game. THIS MEANS we are more likely to get a third pass. There should be 0 disappointment. (How Ironic it would be if behind the scenes, Steve makes your own character a reality in the future).
Even if not, it was sooooo great to see her as excited, if not more, excited than I am about the new fighter coming to the game. I'm pretty excited as well, but my sister's reaction makes it 10x better.

If you watch the video at 2:28,, you can see steve boosting horizontally, from right to left, and then angling down and slamming into the ground when going into the ground:
Hmm...It actually looks more like a Side Special here. I still don't think it will be the actual gliding mechanic (it was removed from everyone for a very good reason), and I'd be willing to bet him dipping down is the end lag of the move, but it is possible that there's some sort of gliding mechanic in place. I guess we won't know until Saturday.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm with Puppy here - Gliding was straight up jank in Brawl because it was insanely precise with its angling and one could attack out of the glide. Also, :metaknight:could glide twice by abusing Shuttle Loop (thus Meta Knight could Scrooge underneath the stage, which is one of the many reasons he was considered "broken" in Brawl).

Apparently gliding was supposed to return in 4, but alas, that didn't happen.

We didn't get that close of a look to really tell, but chances are that Steve's glide will not have the same maneuverability as Brawl's glide.
At 2:28 you can see the glide and angling with it downwards like we could before

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even if not, it was sooooo great to see her as excited, if not more, excited than I am about the new fighter coming to the game. I'm pretty excited as well, but my sister's reaction makes it 10x better.

Hmn...It actually looks more like a Side Special here. I still don't think it will be the actual gliding mechanic (it was removed from everyone for a very good reason), and I'd be willing to bet him dipping down is the end lag of the move, but it is possible that there's some sort of gliding mechanic in place. I guess we won't know until Saturday.
I'm pretty sure it's angling that's going on there, the end lag is from crashing into the ground with it.

Anyway, we'll see when sakurai presents it ;)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You ever sit down and think that Ryu just goes around multiple universes fighting the weirdest ****

Ryu vs Minecraft Steve is probably one of the strangest matchups I could ever think of lmao
I mean after he was in a heckin FAMILY GUY FLASH GAME Steve is normal fare for him I’d bet

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You ever sit down and think that Ryu just goes around multiple universes fighting the weirdest ****

Ryu vs Minecraft Steve is probably one of the strangest matchups I could ever think of lmao
It'd honestly be easier to classify who he hasn't fought at this point lol

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I only played Minecraft once or twice back in high school around 2010, so I don't have much attachment to the series but I respect it's legacy and it helped bring Banjo-Kazooie to Smash. In a game with Mario, Link, Sonic, Mega Man, Simon Belmont, etc, gaming icons, Steve fits right in.

I'm most curious about what the next 4 DLC characters will bring, Min-Min & Steve are pretty outlier for the standard Smash character.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One final comment: Please expect their blocky models and low-res textures to NOT be the only way Steve and Alex and Zombie and Enderman stick out from the rest of the pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom