• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I'll will respond to you though: Dixie Kong was the co-protagonist of DKC2 and protagonist of DKC3. She has been in a playable role as just as many times as DK and Diddy in the DKC games. Her moveset would mostly invole around her hair so she is unique. Dixie Kong is an important DKC character just like how Bandana Dee is to Kirby.
I feel she's decent enough in terms of popularity even if most of the DK attention goes to DK. I think the main split here stems from how she isn't the main character I guess? Sure Animal Crossing would now fall into this made up A tier of popularity but would the Able Sisters really reach that level with the series? Some might say yes, some might say no. DKC as a series sell pretty well but I'd argue series like Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda sell even better and not all their supporting characters would reach this illusive A tier. Some of their secondary characters really wouldn't be too recognizable to even some random people on the street.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Dovahkiin seems like a pretty decent guess, maybe even Gordon, but I'd argue they're still decently talked about, if we take this "leak" at face value,

How about Grand Theft Auto?

I know, I know, please hear me out on this one. This is a series with two particular games I personally love for all the effort, love, and quality put into them, like Smash Bros. As such, I felt compelled to get more people thinking about this inclusion by wasting my time on a full presentation with essentially all the content that could be added just to get a few people either thinking about the idea or maybe even supporting it. Hopefully you go through the ideas and let me know your thoughts, (even if you despise everything about it.) Have a nice day! Thanks for giving this post any of your time.

The looks and style are all captured in the presentations so I hope some of you get a kick out of that.

Here is an Imgur link with both GTA V and San Andreas Concepts and pitch presented fully.

Here is a google drive link to the PowerPoint presentations. You can do anything you want with them. Use them to your hearts content.

First Section is Grand Theft Auto V with Michael having Franklin and Trevor as echos: An unlikely but best case scenario for representing GTAV but all three of them could be the standalone fighter. Michael is mainly first because he was created first, you control him first in GTAV and he's always put first when Rockstar orders them but Franklin is my personal pick for a standalone fighter and Trevor is the fan favorite and the one who made the biggest splash so it could be any of them. It is what it is, but the other characters could be part of two Special Ability inspired Final Smashes.

Second Section is what if CJ from San Andreas was the only GTA fighter: Not as likely as V but the main community and meme love he has in the west shouldn't be underestimated. Franklin could also be an echo fighter with some slight changes. I designed CJ to be from his endgame appearance so he's more skilled with weapons and has a more similar body build to Franklin instead of being as skinny.

I felt the best way to go about representation is to make one game specifically take center stage like how Persona 5 and Final Fantasy VII did since they all have enough uniqueness to them like Fire Emblem characters. The series is to broad and expansive to represent all of them equally well and GTA V fits mainly well as the Ultimate GTA bringing all the big elements people love back in one way or another to an extent. The other games and characters like Tommy from Vice City will mostly get music, spirits, costumes, and stage cameos. In the end, I'll still be glad with any Rockstar Games anti-hero being represented.

As a certain gunslinger would say, I implore you to read through and think about this.

Why did I do this? I guess it was the potential.

Sources:

Grand Theft Auto Clones Wikipedia article

Free GTAV crashes the Epic Games store

GTAV World Records

GTAV breaks sales records in Japan shattering the records from Vice City

GTAV alone has sold over 130 million copies

Sakurai takes his hat off for Red Dead Redemption 2

Wikipedia: Grand Theft Auto V list of accolades

GTAV Metacritic

GTASA Metacritic

Dan Houser and Reggie talk about each others' companies respectfully

LA Noire coming to Nintendo Switch with the next generation versions

GTA Chinatown Wars at Nintendo's 2008 E3

TakeTwo says Switch games have been successful

Microsoft and Nintendo relationship

If you take anything from this, please check out the music, A lot of it is great.
V Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1tOGflDc6nspnc3whGu6NOnXgsfkV3T5
SA Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1tOGflDc6ntGwA9SiEcjWAul4ozJOSiw

If you take anything else from this or maybe don't even like this idea, inclusion, or moveset. I hope you at least see it as a way to realize how the character you personally want may be more likely than you expect from taking a look at these once impossible crossovers. I'd personally be almost has happy to see one of them just be a Mii costume or some of them to be spirits in this amazing gaming celebration.
What do you mean CJ has a jetpack?! I thought this was just a game about gangsters!

Since when did he get a jetpack?!

Since when?!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Actually, I was thinking of a popular character in the west that isn't talked about much.

Maybe the leaker is referring to Lara Croft? (That's if it's real)
Yeah, no one ever talks about Lara Croft being in Smash. It's surprising since she is literally one of if not the most iconic female gaming character. She got the Guinness World record for being the most recognizable female gaming characters and 5 other records for something else.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean CJ has a jetpack?! I thought this was just a game about gangsters!

Since when did he get a jetpack?!

Since when?!
Since 2004.

GTA as a series is similar to Metal Gear mainly because it's serious with comedic elements, but will have borderline super humans with multiple weapons at once with time altering special abilities taking down private armies and the FBI at once, stealing a jetpack from area 69, a clone army from Elon Musk trying to nuke the planet to name a few.

Supernatural elements like Bigfoot, The Beast, aliens, ghosts, giants, vampires, and time travelers are canon to the Rockstar Universe with plenty of easter eggs and random encounters.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This may be the one thing I disagree with you on, and I know a lot of people would give me **** for speaking my opinion on this. I really don't view Dixie Kong as this legendary "last Nintendo All-Star" that so many others do, and maybe that's because my overall lack of experience with DK games in general.

I always thought Dixie was big in DKC2/3, then kinda fell off as a character in miscellaneous spin-offs, only to be revived in DKTF.

Currently, I don't see what Dixie would bring to DK representation in Smash that DK, Diddy, and K. Rool already don't.

:ultdk: - The main character.

:ultdiddy:- The second main character who has appeared so, so many times in many games.

:ultkrool: - The most iconic DK antagonist.

What would Dixie be? The supporting character who appears on every now and then but not too often?

(I'm treating this as a learning opportunity, not as a way to bash Dixie for the sake of it because as I've stated previously, she's such a cool character. I want to learn more about what exactly qualifies Dixie for her own character, because I can only see her as a Diddy/Dixie tag-team in Smash. I believe there are a lot more characters who better qualify as "The Last Nintendo All-Star" considering how little importance DK games have seem to become in recent times, which is sad.)
While I wouldn't necessarily consider Dixie an A Lister (though that's more to with Nintendo doing gimmicky games for Donkey Kong in one decade and only two new games from the franchise in the one after) I do think she is distinct with her concept and a bit with gameplay. The latter is easy to describe as she's not only in many DK fan's mind the preferred character for both DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze, but also her method of control/abilities does change the way the games are typically played vs. a Diddy, Kiddy, or Cranky.

Secondly I'd argue that after Samus, Dixie was the second most prominent playable female character for Nintendo. While controlling Peach or Zelda in the 90s was a rare novelty (or in the case of American SMB2 necessary by circumstance) Rare put Dixie front and center in the DKC games, to the point where she's the undisputed main character of DKC3. And given the amount of Kongs that have been introduced, its telling that she both endured and was brought back in a prominent role over the likes of all the also rans that were created (Kiddy, Chunky, Tiny, Lanky, etc).

And while I fully admit the most prominent days of Donkey Kong Country were some time ago, its hard to underrate just how big they were. Of the top 10 best selling SNES games, 7 of them were packaged in with the system at some point and thus had that as a boost to their numbers (including the original DKC). Two of the ones that didn't have that advantage, and still made the list? Diddy's Kong Quest and Dixie's Double Trouble, titles without Donkey Kong himself as playable, but with Dixie.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To be fair, Crown Tundra will at least be better than Isle of Armor by virtue of having tbe Galarian Legendary Birds. Seriously, why don't we ever talk about THEM?

Also:

I think I know what the next Square Enix Spirit Event will be. ;)

(I hope people get the reference...)
Yooooo Live A Live getting acknowledgement!!! Gimme that Switch port please

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, I think it's safe to say we aren't getting F7 in September. Crown Tundra news is on the second to last day of September, so either they announce a Sakurai Presents the same day, or they shadowdrop the character on Wednesday. Neither seem particularly likely TBH.

If we don't get an announcement for a Sakurai Presents by Wednesday, then I'm willing to bet we aren't getting anything this week. We'll see how this 7/11 ad plays out, but time is limited.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That reddit post is very interesting.

I'm betting we'll get an announcement of a reveal this week. Reveal itself could be next week.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm not going to lie but I'm hoping the Smash character will coincide with Pokemon this week.

As many Pokemon as there is. I for one would love to see Cynthia as a fighter with the Pokemon Trainer gimmick just for Garchomp. We need a shark character in the roster.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Bro they can’t go another month without Smash news. They’re already pushing it as is
I have a strong feeling whoever we do get will at least be big in some way. Whether the moveset is complex/unique like Min Min, they include echo fighter(s), their stage is ambitious in some way, or all of the above. Could even just be all the next 5 fighters in some way.

Either that or the Smash team with DLC is even smaller than they were during FP1.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not going to lie but I'm hoping the Smash character will coincide with Pokemon this week.

As many Pokemon as there is. I for one would love to see Cynthia as a fighter with the Pokemon Trainer gimmick just for Garchomp. We need a shark character in the roster.
Cynthia would be awesome, and we do have a support page for her, but my guess it would have to do with one of the newer pokemon. (if anyting)

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Found another screenshot from the Geno thread (yeah you don’t have to tell me, I only check that place for potential rumors)

So FP7 is most likely third party, from a new franchise that is unexpected but “popular in the west”. It could be a western IP nobody expects (like LoL) or a Japanese IP that has a lot of western fans (TWEWY?)
I highly doubt it. TCPI would not talk about a new game while they're trying to promote their Pokemon content of the year as it's not how they handle marketing. They want to keep the focus on the product that's coming out very soon rather then push something that will come out later in the future, even during the days of Let's Go where they mentioned the next Pokemon Switch game it only got stray mentions up until next year. So if the Gen 2 re-release is a thing and it comes out late next year then that's something they'll talk about in the early months of that year, not now.

Super Metroid is another questionable point since as said before Sakamoto stated that they had no plans for any remake as of mid-2018 and in that same interview they give a little wink-wink nudge-nudge to the teaser at the end of Samus Returns. So whatever they have in mind for the next 2D Metroid seems to be connected to that teaser, not a remake.

Even ignoring both of those points, I don't buy that last line as it's so wishiwashi that it has a very wide net to cast. A large number of characters can fit into that description and it barely narrows down who we could expect from it depending on your interpretation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wasn't this EXACT leak posted several pages back and immediately dismissed?

EDIT: Now I get it. When I last saw this leak pop up, it was before the SwSh direct announcement. Now that it's come out, this leak suddenly has life. Alright, fair development.

Last edited by a moderator:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Honestly, no Xenoblade characters are A listers. I'll just head out.
I'd agree with that, but Dixie isn't A lister neither. In the context of Smash and DLC, I mean. And to being concrete, I'm guessing this "A lister" thing comes from fan demand and popularity within Smash. Following that, while I don't see Rex as an A lister character, he definitely is more A lister in my eyes than Dixie. Sure, he doesn't have as much as history as Dixie. But nowadays, I feel Rex has significant more popularity and buzz around him in Smash speculation. Granted, said momentum will probably fade away with time if he isn't part of Pass 2, and Dixie will probably maintain her fanbase, even if she doesn't seem to have an astounding support.

And I'd rather have Dixie before Rex, so it's not like I'm biased or something.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Man this announcement could come whenever, but if I were to bet, I'm not betting next week all the time. Statistically, that seems to fail. I'll just say it's not happening in September.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
honestly if we dont get anything this week or next id just like them to be transparent and be like "hey theres a delay" or something

I dont think id mind this gigantic gap in news if we just had a lil bit of transparency with whats going on

but its nintendo so I know they wont do that

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't hate Dixie, but I never really understand the idea that she was "the last Nintendo all stars". It feels like the idea is that after Dixie every Nintendo character would be "hitting the bottom of the barrel" but I highly disagree with that idea. There's some more modern Nintendo characters like Ring fit and Astral chain that, while they don't have the history of Dixie, are really popular and a big deal to be in Smash eventually. Pokémon will always stuck, so that will made new characters probably each new Smash. I would argue that Toad is a pretty big Nintendo all stars not in the game, probably more popular and bigger than Dixie. And there's plenty of retro characters that have a huge following like Isaac, Takamaru etc.

There's many more that I'm missing, but the idea that Dixie is the last Nintendo all stars just feels to me like hard gatekeeping more than something that is actually true.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Secondly I'd argue that after Samus, Dixie was the second most prominent playable female character for Nintendo. While controlling Peach or Zelda in the 90s was a rare novelty (or in the case of American SMB2 necessary by circumstance) Rare put Dixie front and center in the DKC games, to the point where she's the undisputed main character of DKC3.
I mean, granted, she did star in a game, but that one game isn't even a fraction as well known as the Zelda and Mario franchises. Calling her more prominent than Zelda or Peach is nonsense.

And given the amount of Kongs that have been introduced, its telling that she both endured and was brought back in a prominent role over the likes of all the also rans that were created (Kiddy, Chunky, Tiny, Lanky, etc).
Yeah, but those all come from a single 3D DKC game. The reason you haven't seen them again likely has less to do with popularity, and more to do with there not having been another 3d DKC game.

There's some more modern Nintendo characters like Ring fit and Astral chain that, while they don't have the history of Dixie, are really popular and a big deal to be in Smash eventually.
LOL, what?!

Nobody outside this community gives a **** about Astral Chain.

Honestly, no Xenoblade characters are A listers. I'll just head out.
100%.

Every Nintendo A-lister is already in Smash.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Y'all acting like Pokemon was this unexpected drop, when I've been over here screaming from the rooftop about it. :mybodyisreggie:

But next week will be very telling. I 100% doubt Smash is coming this week, but after this week, we enter a very strange limbo state. Nintendo has no releases until the 30th, depending on when Crown Tundra comes out, and their last game, Mario 35, will have come out this week. Assuming Crown Tundra doesn't launch next week, and they continue to keep up this "Big drop per week" pattern.... next week's a huge void, assuming Crown Tundra doesn't drop next week, that is.

But as for Smash? Yeah, not happening this week IMO. But hey, pretty much everything is finally "out of the way", if nothing more.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it would be more fair to say Dixie is another Nintendo All Star rather than the last one. Keep in mind I'm of the opinion that Zelda should have Impa and Kirby the likes Bandana Dee, so clearly there are other first party franchises that feel missing with the characters in Smash as well.
Yeah, it's kinda hard to gauge who's what when everyone has different opinions. It's all fine and dandy to say you're supporting an all-star, but saying they're the only all-star is just asking for trouble.
LOL, what?!

Nobody outside this community givesa **** about Astral Chain.
Are you sure you want to do this, SmashBoards user DarthEnderX?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean, granted, she did star in a game, but that one game isn't even a fraction as well known as the Zelda and Mario franchises. Calling her more prominent than Zelda or Peach is nonsense.

Yeah, but those all come from a single 3D DKC game. The reason you haven't seen them again likely has less to do with popularity, and more to do with there not having been anothers 3d DKC game.
Note that I said for the time she was the most prominent playable female Nintendo character after Samus. If you wish to say there have been games with Zelda and Peach since the late 90s that really rectified that and they've surpassed her in that role, I'd be inclined to agree.

Secondly its worth noting that some of those characters have come back, just not in notable roles. Lanky returned in Barrel Blast and Tiny returned both for that game and the remake of Diddy Kong Racing, neither of which were 3D Platformers. In fact Kiddy, the one who was not from a 3D game has made the least amount of appearances, with his appearance as a spirit being the first time he's appeared since Donkey Kong Land. Yet it was Dixie chosen to appear in Tropical Freeze and not those two.

Shroob

Sup?
Its always next week tbh lmao

Next week were gonna be saying "its gonna be next week"
Kinda has to be when we're getting about 1~ big drop per week, which is still holding up. No one can say for sure if this will carry over into October, but at least at the moment, when the Crown Tundra news drops, and assuming it doesn't drop next week, nor does another brand new shadowdrop game, next week's void of news for the first time in forever.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't hate Dixie, but I never really understand the idea that she was "the last Nintendo all stars". It feels like the idea is that after Dixie every Nintendo character would be "hitting the bottom of the barrel" but I highly disagree with that idea. There's some more modern Nintendo characters like Ring fit and Astral chain that, while they don't have the history of Dixie, are really popular and a big deal to be in Smash eventually. Pokémon will always stuck, so that will made new characters probably each new Smash. I would argue that Toad is a pretty big Nintendo all stars not in the game, probably more popular and bigger than Dixie. And there's plenty of retro characters that have a huge following like Isaac, Takamaru etc.

There's many more that I'm missing, but the idea that Dixie is the last Nintendo all stars just feels to me like hard gatekeeping more than something that is actually true.
Calling her "the last Nintendo All Star" or any other character just feels very forced in my opinion, to the point it feels a bit... stupid and cheesy? No offense.
It's like calling Shantae "Indie Queen", something I have read multiple times here and on Twitter. I don't think these titles make any good for the characters, specially when said titles are not an official thing, just something someone made up and thought it was cool, then others started using it.

In Dixie's case, I guess she being the "last Nintendo All Star" is just trying to create a narrative where her absence from the roster is almost unforgivable while at the same time trying to elevate her with the likes of Mario, Link, Pikachu, Samus, etc.
Also, while I do think she's a great Nintendo character that could totally be in Smash, I think that in the end by going with titles like that you're gonna create the opposite effect on some people, because some fans of other Nintendo characters could feel "offended". As you said, the All Star thingy could make some folks think that after Dixie, the rest of Nintendo options would be just hitting the bottom of the barrel. And I don't really think that's the case.

Not saying some Dixie fans are doing this on purpose, I strongly doubt it, but I just believe the Nintendo All Star thing is a bit cheesy and for people who isn't really into Dixie, it could end being more negative than positive.

D

Deleted member

I still think we’re putting this week in the trash a bit to early. I mean we’re only on Monday for Phosphora’s sake.....

Like I pointed out, last week gave us two "big" announcements (Kirby Fighters 2 and the AC update).

We could possibly get two announcements this week too (Crown Tundra and Smash?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's no way Nintendo could afford Heavy, it costs $400,000 to fire his weapon for twelve seconds.
It's worth every penny.

Nevermind its likely fake.

In that case, betting Travis Touchdown.
Y'all still on the Travis hype train, huh? I get the interview thing, but that interview makes you think he's the immediate next choice? He could just as easily be fourth, fifth, or last, but y'all really aiming for the next one for sure?

Shroob

Sup?
I still think we’re putting this week in the trash a bit to early. I mean we’re only on Monday for Phosphora’s sake.....

Like I pointed out, last week gave us two "big" announcements (Kirby Fighters 2 and the AC update).

We could possibly get two announcements this week too (Crown Tundra and Smash?).
Even though it's not new news, there is a thing to remember that Mario 35(The limited time free game), launches this week. We already know about it, but the question is if that'd be a "big" thing, which none of us can say for sure.

At this point, I think next week is very good, unless Crown Tundra comes out next week which.... who knows at that point lmao.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I suppose it depends on what standards we're holding them to. KF2 was a small game and the AC update was just a free thing, so they're pretty small on their own. Pokemon is obviously pretty big, but on the other hand TPC just kinda does their own thing. Still, Pokemon news and other news generally don't release in the same week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom