• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ya know...

If you guys don't like the conversation...

You can bring up a new topic, instead of just complaining...

:impatientsonic:
We try only to get shot down damn near instantly. I'm surprised how I had a few people try to continue the conversation for Vergil who I had brought up last night.

Although speaking of Vergil, I think I figured out a way to make an iaijutsu user work, sheathed moves are weak swings that have ok speed but unsheathed attacks are have incredibly low startup and low active frames at the tradeoff of high endlag. But here's where it becomes fun, hitting someone with an unsheathed move reduces endlag on the move. This system already exists in the game as the game is able to recognize when the Shotos and Terry hit someone, otherwise you wouldn't be able to cancel normals into specials. Rest also has this exact same idea, it has less endlag if you manage to hit someone with it. I feel that it'd really help make a fighting style completely absent in Smash stand out

7NATOR

Smash Master
Geno, in alot of ways, Is Pretty much like Shadow the Hedgehog if Shadow stayed dead and only appeared in SA2, I guess it makes sense that he got popular in Smash community despite only being in one game

Also for characters feeling like Base roster inclusions, People have said that same thing for ARMS. I think there's a likley chance that if this DLC is more low-key, alot of the characters going forward might feel like Base roster inclusions. After all, these are just extra characters that weren't planned for Playable spots intially

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Idk its just lame how well try to bring up something new to discuss and it just gets shot down or ignored for geno

this is partly why people really dislike geno lmao like

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
(Not that I want to bring him up but this thread already brought him up 0 seconds after I suggested otherwise, so) Bowser's Keep is one of the most iconic locations in SMRPG. I know everyone thinks they'd choose Forest Maze, it's still the frontrunner for Geno's stage choice. But Bowser's Keep is up there as far as other possibilities go.
If they added it as a stage I would be happy because we'd get a Bowser's Castle, but sad because the only Bowser's Castle stage would be 3rd party, and thus highly unlikely to return.

EDIT: No Paper Mario does not count!

So... am I the only one here who definitely would spend $6 on Shy Guy and/or Dry Bowser? Anyone else big enough Mario trash or is that just me? :p
Legit, I think a Goomba would make for a great fighter. It's not one that anyone would want mind you, but I think it would make a great addition nonetheless. Just...I wouldn't add it right now. Give it a game or two.

I am sorry, but I had to.
You should be the one saying they're the same picture.

I don't think anyone else thinks the two characters were in the same position.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I think that the Super Mario 35th Anniversary alone would be enough of a reason to convince the general public that the character was a good idea. They're not random characters either, Captain Toad is a named version of an iconic species to Super Smash Bros.; one so omnipresent that its baffling that their only representation in terms of fighters is as a...erm, fungi shield. King Boo is the major villain of the Luigi's Mansion series, which has been getting higher production values as of late. It's also recent enough to promote if Min Min is any indication. It would also be kind of fitting seeing as how he'd likely release in October, but that's getting into tinfoil hat territory (though Luigi's Mansion 3 did get released around Halloween...ack! No! Bad SMAAASH!!! Puppy!). He'd also be super unique, as his source material is that sweet spot where his abilities are unique, but still super nebulous, so Sakurai could go ham on his fighter design.

They both have more a lot more merit than you're giving them credit for.
Again, I’m not saying they’d be bad characters. In fact I’d love to see them both make it in eventually. But as DLC? Not gonna happen. As base game? 100%.But there’s just no reason for Nintendo to push either of them in the form of Smash DLC. Again, Byleth is a brand new character and Min Min is from a brand new Nintendo series. Captain Toad and King Boo have none of that going for them. Whereas Geno is not only a highly requested character, but also nostalgic, and we should all know by now that nostalgia sells. Adding Captain Toad or King Boo as DLC would literally just be more Mario character for no reason other than to add more Mario characters but for an extra $6

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Geno, in alot of ways, Is Pretty much like Shadow the Hedgehog if Shadow stayed dead and only appeared in SA2, I guess it makes sense that he got popular in Smash community despite only being in one game

Also for characters feeling like Base roster inclusions, People have said that same thing for ARMS. I think there's a likley chance that if this DLC is more low-key, alot of the characters going forward might feel like Base roster inclusions. After all, these are just extra characters that weren't planned for Playable spots intially
Eh, Shadow was in a mainline title. Geno is more like if Shade the Echidna was owned by BioWare.

D

Deleted member

What is the difference between Byleth and Geno's situation? We keep on talking about them over and over again.

But... if something is popular... does that not make it exciting? You'd have to be compelling and exciting to be popular, right?

I mean Banjo got in due to popularity... He was a direct inclusion from a popularity contest... As in proof, of popularity, which is also Geno's main draw.

Even then, isn't including popular things good for business?

I don't understand your logic.
King Boo and Captain Toad are more popular and relevant than Geno in the Mario universe, but they aren’t characters that would generate much, if any hype as paid DLC for Super Smash Bros. Why is this so hard to understand?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
King Boo and Captain Toad are more popular and relevant than Geno in the Mario universe, but they aren’t characters that would generate much, if any hype as paid DLC for Super Smash Bros. Why is this so hard to understand?
Because you phrased it in the most awkward way possible.

That statement makes sense. I don't agree with it necessarily but I respect the logic of it now.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Eh, Shadow was in a mainline title. Geno is more like if Shade the Echidna was owned by BioWare.
I see you remembered that Gamefaqs topic. In any case, I Compared Geno and Shadow (despite SMRPG being a Spin-oof) because both of these characters are the Serious, Cool type characters with Cool Abilities and kind of Symblozie the more serious tone of their games stories, Though Geno isn't as Edgy and be more (Intentionally) Goofy than Shadow

We try only to get shot down damn near instantly. I'm surprised how I had a few people try to continue the conversation for Vergil who I had brought up last night.

Although speaking of Vergil, I think I figured out a way to make an iaijutsu user work, sheathed moves are weak swings that have ok speed but unsheathed attacks are have incredibly low startup and low active frames at the tradeoff of high endlag. But here's where it becomes fun, hitting someone with an unsheathed move reduces endlag on the move. This system already exists in the game as the game is able to recognize when the Shotos and Terry hit someone, otherwise you wouldn't be able to cancel normals into specials. Rest also has this exact same idea, it has less endlag if you manage to hit someone with it. I feel that it'd really help make a fighting style completely absent in Smash stand out
I guess that could work. though the thing is that Vergil doesn't use the Sheath except for the start of his A Combo most of the time.

On the topic of Vergil though, he should totally be in Smash 6 as a DLC Character if Dante is a base roster character. Vergil is One of the most Iconic rivals of all time, and is One of the coolest characters ever. If I thought he was realistic, I'd actually put him In my Most wanted list with Shadow and Goku (even if Goku is deconfirmed). I hope Smash 6 takes more opportunities to add more characters from Represented 3rd party franchises, considering alot of them are Iconic, Popular, and also Requested (Most evident with Sonic Characters, and Zero)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and like always, it comes back to Geno debates. I look forward to seeing more of these in 2021 /s
And if Geno does get in and isn't mained by literally everyone on the planet, the "ugh should he really be in?" comments will continue to persist.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
In an attempt to generate new discussion:

I've been replaying The Legend of Dragoon. It has reminded me what an amazing RPG console the PS1 was. One in particular that I think would be very cool for Smash is Parasite Eve. Aya Brea is a badass and I would love to see her become playable. The series is in a weird grey area in that it started with a book but the game is its own thing (from what I understand). She isn't going to happen since the series is dead and not connected to Nintendo, but I would be interested to hear from others what their PS1 RPG character picks would be?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Again, I’m not saying they’d be bad characters. In fact I’d love to see them both make it in eventually. But as DLC? Not gonna happen. As base game? 100%.But there’s just no reason for Nintendo to push either of them in the form of Smash DLC. Again, Byleth is a brand new character and Min Min is from a brand new Nintendo series. Captain Toad and King Boo have none of that going for them. Whereas Geno is not only a highly requested character, but also nostalgic, and we should all know by now that nostalgia sells. Adding Captain Toad or King Boo as DLC would literally just be more Mario character for no reason other than to add more Mario characters but for an extra $6
Are you reading what I'm writing or discarding it because it doesn't adhere to your laser focus in terms of what's possible?

I'm not saying you think they're bad characters, I'm saying they have merits that would get them selected even given the current precedents with 1st party characters. If they're looking for Super Mario characters to add for their anniversary celebration, they're huge candidates in this regard; Captian Toad has the legacy and King Boo has the relevancy and extra promotional opportunity.

And don't forget, the Super Mario 35th Anniversary is Geno's ticket in too, which means the "adding Super Mario characters for the sake of adding Super Mario characters" is applies to him as well. Unless having other reasons for inclusion on top of that removes this...fact, for lack of a better word, in which case, I've proven that both characters have them so it doesn't apply to them either. Just because their reasons for inclusion aren't the exact same as Byleth's or Min Min's doesn't mean that they have no "real" reasons at all.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually since Sonic was mentioned, I have to Plug

I think Another Sonic character was Considered for base roster, I mean if you look at the signs, and the hints sprinkled throughout the series, you can see that Sakurai understands that Sonic is heavily associated with the other characters. Another Sonic character is a frequent Request. I just don't think it happened because lack of Priority, and also none of the Popular Options (Tails, Eggman, Shadow, & Knuckles) fit the echo build

Monster Hunter got alot more merit since Base roster Decision thanks to Monster Hunter world. Since Base roster decision where Sonic Lost world and Sonic Boom were the last games, Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces came out and both performed strongly (Mania especially, it was best selling sonic Game in 25 years, and Sonic sells best on Nintendo). Movie was coming out, Mobile Games were popping, Sonic Boom Cartoon was popping, as was the comics.

If this pass is extra, I think Another Sonic Character could fit the build. All of the popular options (Tails, Eggman, Shadow, & Knuckles), can easily re-use assets of characters, along with having unique abilities seperate from the case and Unique Playstyle. All are Iconic, All are requested, and Sega throws out licensing like Candy. 30th Anniversary coming. Yes

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

That's partly why I'm pushing Lyn so hard as she could be the perfect Vergil surrogate, especially if they use her for a Dante trailer in the future.

There's just so many ways you could really do an iaido characters that it's a wonder we haven't gotten one yet.
Stance attacks, hold attacks, form-changes, shadow-copies, wind-cutting, even the classic visual flair of a slash not registering until the swordsman puts the sword back in the sheath. it's all so very cool, but completely absent in Smash.

Until then, we have ****-posts.

Anyway, I think it goes without saying how much I like Vergil.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's just so many ways you could really do an iaido characters that it's a wonder we haven't gotten one yet.
Stance attacks, hold attacks, form-changes, shadow-copies, wind-cutting, even the classic visual flair of a slash not registering until the swordsman puts the sword back in the sheath. it's all so very cool, but completely absent in Smash.
I was actually pretty annoyed that they gave this to Lyn in Fire Emblem Warriors. They're not supposed to be copies, they're afterimages. In fact, if they were afterimages like they were supposed to be her super would look 1000x cooler than it does with the random magic Lyn copies.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Actually since Sonic was mentioned, I have to Plug

I think Another Sonic character was Considered for base roster, I mean if you look at the signs, and the hints sprinkled throughout the series, you can see that Sakurai understands that Sonic is heavily associated with the other characters. Another Sonic character is a frequent Request. I just don't think it happened because lack of Priority, and also none of the Popular Options (Tails, Eggman, Shadow, & Knuckles) fit the echo build

Monster Hunter got alot more merit since Base roster Decision thanks to Monster Hunter world. Since Base roster decision where Sonic Lost world and Sonic Boom were the last games, Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces came out and both performed strongly (Mania especially, it was best selling sonic Game in 25 years, and Sonic sells best on Nintendo). Movie was coming out, Mobile Games were popping, Sonic Boom Cartoon was popping, as was the comics.

If this pass is extra, I think Another Sonic Character could fit the build. All of the popular options (Tails, Eggman, Shadow, & Knuckles), can easily re-use assets of characters, along with having unique abilities seperate from the case and Unique Playstyle. All are Iconic, All are requested, and Sega throws out licensing like Candy. 30th Anniversary coming. Yes
Oooh, a chance for me to plug! Eggman is my second most wanted character, and would be an espeically great choice since he's the only one who played a notable role in the movie

D

Deleted member

It’s gonna be really funny if the next character does end up being Geno, is all. There’s arguably been more evidence for him than anyone else if you take everything at face value.
What evidence, may I ask?

For example, I don't think Geno had an entire direct dedicated to him like Monster Hunter.

I would say Monster Hunter is a hot contender right now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...and also none of the Popular Options (Tails, Eggman, Shadow, & Knuckles) fit the echo build...
I'm sorry but this is just false. Dr. Eggman is a prime candidate for a Sonic Echo Fighter. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. :4pacman:

It is kind of strange how we talked about Monster Hunter for one day, and then we continue to ignore them.

They have a nice chance for CP7 or CP8 in my opinion.
Probably due to the thread dynamic.

Does everyone accept the evidence? They're in. Talk about them all the time.
Does most of the thread apply skepticism? We must make sure that everyone hypes responsibly.
Does everyone sans a few people think they're unlikely? Bring them up constantly. We must dispute!

The middle option could be a contribute to dead conversations. It does make a bit of sense though. This forum is built upon debate, and you can't exactly debate anything when everyone agrees with one side to a major extent.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It is kind of strange how we talked about Monster Hunter for one day, and then we continue to ignore them.

They have a nice chance for CP7 or CP8 in my opinion.
The protagonist from Rise is more mobile than past MH protags and has that bug friend for a tether. They sure do like giving DLC characters tethers, heh. And while I highly doubt any of that is because of Smash, if a Hunter is in, this would definitely be a good-looking one in terms of moveset. And naturally, Sakurai would have known about the Rise protag far, far earlier than any of us.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If you guys want some new characters to talk about, I'm willing to give it a try... though I think the reason these attempts at bringing up new characters for discussion usually fall flat is because... well, not everyone plays and is interested in the same games, so naturally not everyone is interested in discussing a character from a game they haven't played. Again, I'll give it a try, but I'm not expecting it to go anywhere...

I've recently been playing through the Darksiders games (or at least the ones currently on the Switch), and I can still fully say that War, Death, and Strife now have my support for Smash. While I'll admit that the chances of Darksiders (or any THQ Nordic-owned series for that matter) getting into Smash is slim, in the event that it actually happens, I'll happily accept them with open arms. There's so much potential in each character for a fun Smash moveset, and they would also bring in a unique comic book-like art style that I don't think is present in the game yet (with all the "anime swordsmen" in Smash, it'd be interesting to see a "comic book swordsmen" make the cut).

... so has anyone else here played Darksiders and is interested in discussing, or will this post go nowhere as well?

Shroob

Sup?
I want at least one FP character to be a total wild card: not super requested, not leaked early, just a full 'WTF' reaction from most people
Well, that'll be difficult tbh outside of a Joker-like reveal. Considering the nature of press kits arriving earlier for gaming outlets, characters usually do leak, albeit, at the very least, sometimes, like with MinMin, they're "Leaked".

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've recently been playing through the Darksiders games (or at least the ones currently on the Switch), and I can still fully say that War, Death, and Strife now have my support for Smash. While I'll admit that the chances of Darksiders (or any THQ Nordic-owned series for that matter) getting into Smash is slim, in the event that it actually happens, I'll happily accept them with open arms. There's so much potential in each character for a fun Smash moveset, and they would also bring in a unique comic book-like art style that I don't think is present in the game yet (with all the "anime swordsmen" in Smash, it'd be interesting to see a "comic book swordsmen" make the cut).

... so has anyone else here played Darksiders and is interested in discussing, or will this post go nowhere as well?
War!

War!

What is he good for?

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

Which is to say that I would absolutely love War for reasons that I do not have time to explain. I should have gone to bed an hour ago as it is.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oooh, a chance for me to plug! Eggman is my second most wanted character, and would be an espeically great choice since he's the only one who played a notable role in the movie
My Only Problem with Eggaman is I'm very curious how they handle his Playstyle. He has too many options in terms of mechs and weapons, that there's no definitive Eggman Moveset to go with, and alot of his mechs are Too Big, but it could be done if they take liberties and get the Spirit of Eggman in his Moveset, like With Ridley. They certainly have alot to go off of

Otherwise I actually think Eggman has the most merit of all the Sonic characters to his inclusion, which I kinda don't like Since I don't want another Sonic Character in Particular, I want Shadow the Hedgehog Specifically. Though I'd be cool with Eggman and Knuckles though. I'd be dissapointed if Tails made it in, even If I do think he makes sense anyway

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
If you guys want some new characters to talk about, I'm willing to give it a try... though I think the reason these attempts at bringing up new characters for discussion usually fall flat is because... well, not everyone plays and is interested in the same games, so naturally not everyone is interested in discussing a character from a game they haven't played. Again, I'll give it a try, but I'm not expecting it to go anywhere...

I know nothing about Darksiders, but I'd just like to say the thought of saying "I main Death" is hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom