• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hmm...actually, after considering the possibility of a Devil May Cry V port rather than assuming it wasn't a thing (since the absence of evidence for it isn't a disconfirmation for it), I will change my prediction slightly. I do still think that Monster Hunter is currently the more likely option, but the possibility of the Devil May Cry V port does keep Dante from being an unlikely pick.
I'm not sure if that's possible because it uses the default Resident Evil engine, as does Resident Evil 7 (duh). From what I've heard, a RE7 port was at least attempted, but they weren't satisfied with it and were forced to scrap it. While Monster Hunter Rise does use a variation of it, it's modified with the Switch's strengths and weaknesses in mind, so it only works if they're making it from the Switch from the beginning.

On the flipside, Joker got in and we still don't have Persona 5, Royal or no. If Joker can squeeze by with just Persona Q2 and a Sonic Forces costume, Dante's in a much better spot with his ports, one of which is the definitive edition for what's considered a masterpiece of DMC and the action genre as a whole. I wouldn't count Dante out just because he doesn't have a recent game on a Nintendo system, even if Rise gives Monster Hunter an edge.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
MH never needed a new game to be likely. Most third-parties don't even have a recent game they're promoting when they're announced for Smash.

Nothing this month really changed my view on a MH rep. The missing costumes are weird, but that's exactly what Geno and Lloyd supporters are saying. They could reappear at any time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't really care about Tomodachi Life, but I'd love to see people come up with more hilarious musicals.

"Oooh what have I done?"
"I've upstaged everyone!"
"I am the pretty one."
"It's a curse!"
"I can't help that I look goooood."

Getting four spirits doesn't really prove much IMO.

Shovel Knight came out at the perfect time to fit into Smash 4's DLC hour of hype and I'm sure it benefited from that and got some good voting in, which would explain why he was the only indie character to show up as an assist trophy in the next game (I think). Now it's been over 5 years and Shovel Knight is still an active franchise, but there are many indie franchises with far more active communities and much higher sales. I'm comfortable saying Shovel Knight isn't notable enough for them to make him playable.
The lack of having new games out at the moment doesn't strip you of your notoriety. The last expansions for the game came out in December of last year, they're already branching out with a board game, a spin-off in Shovel Knight Dig (no release date as far as I know, but I'd expect no later than the end of 2021), and iirc they're Yacht Club themselves are also making a new mainline title.

So yeah, it may not have much going on right this second, but there's nothing to suggest that it's a flash in the pan.

Also, on the sales point, keep in mind that Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove is effectively a collection of 4 entire games. 5 if you have it on anything that's not a 3Ds. However, each consecutive game was not only sold as a series of expansions (which means the reception is "cool, some more DLC" and not "oh wow! A new game!"), but those who bought the first campaign (which was only $10 at the time mind you) got all of it for free...unless you're a 3Ds user, though you still got most of it. It's almost a certainty that similarly popular games made way more for this reason alone.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
MH never needed a new game to be likely. Most third-parties don't even have a recent game they're promoting when they're announced for Smash.

Nothing this month really changed my view on a MH rep. The missing costumes are weird, but that's exactly what Geno and Lloyd supporters are saying. They could reappear at any time.
Yeah, but we never listened until now, did we? We seem to have a bad habit of only noticing someone if a new game happens or a new "leak" crops up, while not noticing any past achievements or merits until then. Overall, Rise was a good thing for speculation surrounding Monster Hunter since it brought attention to them, but while a big new Switch-exclusive doesn't hurt their chances, it doesn't shake things up too much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, but we never listened until now, did we? We seem to have a bad habit of only noticing someone if a new game happens or a new "leak" crops up, while not noticing any past achievements or merits until then. Overall, Rise was a good thing for speculation surrounding Monster Hunter since it brought attention to them, but while a big new Switch-exclusive doesn't hurt their chances, it doesn't shake things up too much.
I wouldn't say that a Monster Hunter character is a lock, but I do think it is likelier than before since the chances of Nintendo going "but we already have Monster Hunter in Super Smash Bros." is lower because now it can be countered by "OK, but is Monster Hunter: Rise in Super Smash Bros.?".

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care about Tomodachi Life, but I'd love to see people come up with more hilarious musicals.

"Oooh what have I done?"
"I've upstaged everyone!"
"I am the pretty one."
"It's a curse!"
"I can't help that I look goooood."

The lack of having new games out at the moment doesn't strip you of your notoriety. The last expansions for the game came out in December of last year, they're already branching out with a board game, a spin-off in Shovel Knight Dig (no release date as far as I know, but I'd expect no later than the end of 2021), and iirc they're Yacht Club themselves are also making a new mainline title.

So yeah, it may not have much going on right this second, but there's nothing to suggest that it's a flash in the pan.

Also, on the sales point, keep in mind that Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove is effectively a collection of 4 entire games. 5 if you have it on anything that's not a 3Ds. However, each consecutive game was not only sold as a series of expansions (which means the reception is "cool, some more DLC" and not "oh wow! A new game!"), but those who bought the first campaign (which was only $10 at the time mind you) got all of it for free...unless you're a 3Ds user, though you still got most of it. It's almost a certainty that similarly popular games made way more for this reason alone.
I didn't say shovel knight was dormant; I actually said the opposite "it's been over 5 years and Shovel Knight is still an active franchise"

I just think it's a quiet franchise. It doesn't have very active fan communities. People don't stream it much on twitch. Steam says people don't play it much compared to many of the other popular indies, even in the same genre, even in the days after each of its DLC releases. It's a success story for an indie game but I don't think it'll ever get a playable fighter unless it has a breakthrough that pulls it into people's attention in a major way.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I didn't say shovel knight was dormant; I actually said the opposite "it's been over 5 years and Shovel Knight is still an active franchise"

I just think it's a quiet franchise. It doesn't have very active fan communities. People don't stream it much on twitch. Steam says people don't play it much compared to many of the other popular indies, even in the same genre, even in the days after each of its DLC releases. It's a success story for an indie game but I don't think it'll ever get a playable fighter unless it has a breakthrough that pulls it into people's attention in a major way.
I brought up those incoming titles because Shovel Knight was huge when it came out. Once these new games do come out, they're likely to attract the same attention the first game did, perhaps even more. The Shovel Knight series's hype may have petered out a bit because most of its releases are DLC, but I fully disagree with the notion that it's a smaller series among indie titles, and there's not much to suggest that its popularity was just a flash in the pan.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to think Monster Hunter is now the big frontrunner for the next Capcom character in Smash. Unless Capcom at their TGS presentation suddenly announces a Switch-exclusive Devil May Cry game and/or a brand new Ace Attorney game (both of which are entirely possible), the one-two punch of Rise and Stories 2 currently gives Monster Hunter a big advantage over Dante and Phoenix Wright.
Well, there could be a potential Capcom crossover announcement during the potential Dragalia Digest presentation (Sept 27) to celebrate Dragalia Lost 2nd anniversary. This possibility could change the Capcom frontrunner, and also I think the Felyne (mascot) or Monster Rider has a shot as being the frontrunner as well.

Reminder:
The first anniversary crossover announcement was Mega Man

Then Jan 2020 was Monster Hunter

I can't wait for Street Fighter, Breath of Fire, Devil May Cry or Ace Attorney to show up in Dragalia Lost. I know for a fact that Joker or Terry are no stranger to a mobile game crossover, and they could also show up as well.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say that a Monster Hunter character is a lock, but I do think it is likelier than before since the chances of Nintendo going "but we already have Monster Hunter in Super Smash Bros." is lower because now it can be countered by "OK, but is Monster Hunter: Rise in Super Smash Bros.?".
Yeah, that and Min Min proving that a series can have a second chance even after being represented without a fighter in the base game. Sure, Rathalos was an Assist Trophy and a boss while also having an area all to itself in World of Light, but it's called Monster Hunter for a reason. Without the Hunters, it's just Monsters, and with only Rathalos and not even any other Spirits, it's just Monster, singular. I'm sure there's more than enough room for a Hunter.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that and Min Min proving that a series can have a second chance even after being represented without a fighter in the base game. Sure, Rathalos was an Assist Trophy and a boss while also having an area all to itself in World of Light, but it's called Monster Hunter for a reason. Without the Hunters, it's just Monsters, and with only Rathalos and not even any other Spirits, it's just Monster, singular. I'm sure there's more than enough room for a Hunter.
Sure, there could be room for the Hunter, but they still haven't show up as a playable character in TEPPEN, and Felyne ends up being the third Monster Hunter rep.

Speaking of TEPPEN, guess who is back

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nobody should consider that a good counterargument.

The sticking point for Monster Hunter is, and always has been, its base-game content, whether that's good enough representation, and whether more would be seen as redundant. If it's an issue, then it hasn't ceased to be an issue. If it wasn't then nothing's changed. Whether they have a new logo to put beside Smash Bros. on the trailer is irrelevant, and thinking it isn't is looking at the selection process completely backwards.

The only thing Rise and Stories 2 change is that it makes Monster Hunter more relevant and closer to Nintendo, which were qualities that the series wasn't hurting for anyway.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sure, there could be room for the Hunter, but they still haven't show up as a playable character in TEPPEN, and Felyne ends up being the third Monster Hunter rep.

Speaking of TEPPEN, guess who is back

They also haven't added Vergil and you know how much they love him.

1600498193188.png

MintPepsi

Smash Cadet

Shovel Knight came out at the perfect time to fit into Smash 4's DLC hour of hype and I'm sure it benefited from that and got some good voting in, which would explain why he was the only indie character to show up as an assist trophy in the next game (I think). Now it's been over 5 years and Shovel Knight is still an active franchise, but there are many indie franchises with far more active communities and much higher sales. I'm comfortable saying Shovel Knight isn't notable enough for them to make him playable.
Shovel Knight is absolutely notable enough I'd say. His game's impact on indie gaming was pretty major, being one of the first indie games to get big attention from big companies. Kratos was literally a boss in the Playstation version.
Also, its sales are nothing to scoff at. It's sold about 3 million copies at this point. To put that into perspective, Shantae is an indie series I often see discussed in Smash speculation yet the series has only just now hit 3 million copies sold in total. The entire series only just now sold 3 million, 5 games over 18 years and only 3 million sales in total. Shovel Knight outsold that with one game.
While there are other indie games and franchises that have sold more than Shovel Knight, Terraria and Binding of Isaac being notable examples, those indie franchises haven't really received the same attention from Nintendo that Shovel Knight has. I mean, Shovel Knight was the first third party series to get amiibo and even now it's the only indie series with an amiibo. It even has 4 amiibos at this point. Nintendo published the game in Japan and is even listed in the game's credits. The only other indie games who've received even remotely comparable amounts of love from Nintendo are Undertale and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

While the sales of his game on its own isn't enough to justify why he should be playable, it in combination with the importance he has in indie gaming culture and the love he's seen from Nintendo definitely makes him a notable character.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I think World plays a much more important role regarding the Hunter's chances than Rise does. It came out early 2018 and pushed the series from being one of the best selling franchises in Japan to being one of the best selling franchises on the planet, smashing record after record.
Ultimate was still in development back then but the roster and possibly FP1 had already been decided so no luck getting in there. Nowadays Monster Hunter is Capcom's biggest IP and has 2 new Switch exclusives coming up, one of which has been teased since early 2019, long before FP2/additional DLC has been announced. Not saying the Hunter is a lock but things are very, VERY well lined up right now for them to join Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd rather have Dante tbh....
A gaming crossover that features just Bayonetta and not the grand-daddy of the goddamn style meter?
dante shaking his head.gif

(Ignoring the real world circumstances of Smash Bros's behind the scenes negotation process), this would be the most criminal exclusion of a character since Cloud in KH3.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok I've never played Monster hunter, but I just think about something. What if instead of the Hunter, we have the Felyne. From what I see it's pretty much the series mascot, having a lot of marchandies based around it. When Monster hunter do crossover, it often involved the Felyne in some way or another ( for example the Felyne appears in Animal crossing new leaf, in Meatl gear solid peace walker and made cameo in Marvel vs Capcom 3 before the Hunter was playable later in Marvel vs Capcom infinite). The Felyne is popular enough to have his own Spin-off series in Japan. And from what I could find on the internet they do help to fight and they use different weapons and gadgets.

How would Monster hunter fans react to this? Is that possible? Is that a good outcome or the Hunter would be better?
Adding a Felyne is like adding Tails before Sonic, they're popular, yes, but the appeal of MonHun is beating the **** out of monsters and when people think of that, they think of stuff only the Hunter's capable of doing

Ok. And? This doesn't change how they chose to get a surprising amount of content from Shovel Knight instead of other indie games and ATs just so happen to include popular requests. People refused to shut up about the game for the quite a while after launch and managed to get an official crossover with God of War, perhaps the most iconic IP in Sony's library, besides, if being notable mattered as much as to exclude a character who again, has a canonical crossover with Sony's biggest IP, then we'd lose like 60 characters at minimum.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Something that I don't think has been brought up yet, but there's a Special Edition for DMC 5 with a playable Vergil.
Honestly with this announcement I don't think Monster Hunter is being pushed more than Devil May Cry is, I think they're being pushed around the same level. So I feel as though Dante and Monster Hunter are equally as likely as the Capcom rep.
Yeah, I feel the same way. The way Nintendo is treating those Monster Hunter games is definitely reminiscent of how they treated Dragon Quest XI. They’re a big deal to Nintendo & I could see them being some of the highest selling games on the Switch.

I think the relationship between Nintendo & the Monster Hunter series, as well as huge that series is, would be reason enough for MonHun to get in.

However, I could see Capcom wanting Dante instead so they can continue to push that series. After the success of DMCV, Capcom stated that they’re going to keep push the series so it can get even bigger. Smash would be a fantastic way to push DMC/Dante’s Star power. They’ve already personally seen this since I’m 99% sure Smash is the reason that Mega Man has come back.

I feel both characters would be equally big reveals. One of the biggest Japanese game series ever vs a smaller, but highly beloved character.

Honestly Capcom is such an embarrassment of riches I kind of wish they and Nintendo would just bite the bullet and official make a Nintendo vs Capcom Crossover title.
Man, I would kill for that. There’s so much potential.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If we don't get a MonHun character, we're gonna at LEAST get a Spirit event.

Those amiibo are getting Spirits.

the appeal of MonHun is beating the **** out of monsters and when people think of that, they think of stuff only the Hunter's capable of doing
No, when people think of beating the **** out of monsters, they think of the monsters.

That's why the first MH rep in Smash, and Teppen, is the monsters.

It's the same as Pokemon. People think of the Pokemon first, not the trainers.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While the obvious format for such a game would be either like Smash or like SF, my unrealistic hope would be NvC in the style of Power Stone. It would be different enough from Smash to not be directly competing with it while still being beginner friendly to those who would otherwise be put off by the pretzel motion nature of a lot of Capcom fighters. Would never happen but man it would be an incredible game.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Something that I don't think has been brought up yet, but there's a Special Edition for DMC 5 with a playable Vergil.
Honestly with this announcement I don't think Monster Hunter is being pushed more than Devil May Cry is, I think they're being pushed around the same level. So I feel as though Dante and Monster Hunter are equally as likely as the Capcom rep.
You're right. I was honestly expecting the Special Edition for DMC5 not this soon. Capcom is clearly pushing the series.
Though to be fair, DMC5 Special Edition isn't coming to Switch while MH is getting 2 exclusive games. This doesn't decide anything but it's natural for speculation to talk more about the new MH games, when they're coming to the Switch.

Devil May Cry V isn't on the Switch though, so Monster Hunter is still Nintendo's most appealing (and there for the far more likely) option.
And I doubt DMC5 is gonna be on the Switch. I don't think the console would be able to handle it. Also, DMC5 runs in the RE Engine, which as far as I know has some troubles on the Switch, according to rumours. MH Rise is running in RE Engine as well but it's a modified version made and optimized with the Switch in mind.

What I'm expecting is DMC4 being announced soon, that should run on the Switch perfectly.

I think people focus too much on which character has a new game coming out tbh. I mean, look at the first pass. Out of the third parties, Hero was the only one who had a Switch-exclusive title coming out.
I don't think this new Monster Hunter game impacts the chances of an MH rep much, he's just as likely as he was before in my eyes. Capcom rep could easily be a MH character and it could easily be Dante, I don't think one has much of an edge over the other. MH's stronger Nintendo connection doesn't really give MH the edge since Nintendo clearly isn't just prioritizing characters who have strong Nintendo connections, examples being Joker and Cloud.
And DQXI S isn't even exclusive anymore. If I'm not mistaken that version is coming to Xbox, PC and PS4 very soon.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The way Nintendo is treating those Monster Hunter games is definitely reminiscent of how they treated Dragon Quest XI. They’re a big deal to Nintendo & I could see them being some of the highest selling games on the Switch.

I think the relationship between Nintendo & the Monster Hunter series, as well as huge that series is, would be reason enough for MonHun to get in.

However, I could see Capcom wanting Dante instead so they can continue to push that series. After the success of DMCV, Capcom stated that they’re going to keep push the series so it can get even bigger. Smash would be a fantastic way to push DMC/Dante’s Star power. They’ve already personally seen this since I’m 99% sure Smash is the reason that Mega Man has come back.

I feel both characters would be equally big reveals. One of the biggest Japanese game series ever vs a smaller, but highly beloved character.

Well, Capcom could prefer Dante for whatever reason but Nintendo is calling the shots. In my eyes, it's 50-50. They have reasons for going with Monster Hunter but also reasons for Dante.

Monster Hunter is a bigger franchise and has strong Nintendo ties, in the other hand DMC is a smaller yet still popular IP and Dante has more star power, to put it in a way, than a MH character.
I believe Capcom would benefit more from adding Dante to Smash, or at least, they would in some ways. A lot of Nintendo fans overlap with MH audience. DMC not so much, and I feel there's a growing interest in the series among the Nintendo community. Putting him in Smash would help a lot to solidify his presence among Nintendo users.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nobody should consider that a good counterargument.

The sticking point for Monster Hunter is, and always has been, its base-game content, whether that's good enough representation, and whether more would be seen as redundant. If it's an issue, then it hasn't ceased to be an issue. If it wasn't then nothing's changed. Whether they have a new logo to put beside Smash Bros. on the trailer is irrelevant, and thinking it isn't is looking at the selection process completely backwards.

The only thing Rise and Stories 2 change is that it makes Monster Hunter more relevant and closer to Nintendo, which were qualities that the series wasn't hurting for anyway.
It's a perfectly good counterargument.

Without considering the new games, Nintendo has no real incentive to add more content from the series, and thus are more likely to be fine with what's there. But considering the new games, Nintendo now has an incentive to add more content anyway.

Unrelated to what's above, but I've heard that Devil May Cry V probably can't be on Switch, so my opinion of him has shifted back to unlikely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No, when people think of beating the **** out of monsters, they think of the monsters.

That's why the first MH rep in Smash, and Teppen, is the monsters.

It's the same as Pokemon. People think of the Pokemon first, not the trainers.
I'm talking strictly from a gameplay perspective as I know the cats have been playable too, do you imagine the monsters fighting cats, or Hunters?

My take on the chances of Monster Hunter is that it makes a lot of sense, possibly the most sense out of any franchise. At the same time it could pull a Resident Evil and just not happen for whatever reason.

I really wonder if the next fighter will tell us anything about the choices moving forward. I'm not expecting a big blowout or anything, but a change in perspective would be nice.

D

Deleted member

I’ve never played too much Monster Hunter but I feel the dude would make a cool addition to the game overall. As for chances... well I dunno. Might be more likely than others but I dunno, we haven’t really had anything to go off of in recent memory, unless I’m being a big dumb and missed something obvious :drshrug:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Random thought: Is it possible that the next character is from Super Mario, and they didn't reveal or hint at them at them at the Super Mario 35th Anniversary presentation because they weren't ready to reveal the character and didn't want to do a guessing game for whatever reason?

I don't find the idea all that likely since the trailer should theoretically have been finished already, but assuming it wasn't (or they're sitting on it for whatever reason) I could see a reason as to why they wouldn't want to make a guessing game like with ARMS. Said reason being that if you say that the next character is from Super Mario, a lot of people will assume that the character will be either Geno, or Waluigi, and regardless of if they pick on, the other, or more likely, neither of them, the raised hopes are sure to explode into backlash.

I know Nintendo doesn't care about backlash too much ( lol :ultbyleth:), but if it can be avoided while still aligning with their plans, that would be the way they'd want to go, no? It would be slightly uncharacteristic of them to recognize an issue like this, but I do think it there's a small possibility that they might, and react accordingly. Considering this possibility, I now think a Super Mario is possible.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Random thought: Is it possible that the next character is from Super Mario, and they didn't reveal or hint at them at them at the Super Mario 35th Anniversary presentation because they weren't ready to reveal the character and didn't want to do a guessing game for whatever reason?

I don't find the idea all that likely since the trailer should theoretically have been finished already, but assuming it wasn't (or they're sitting on it for whatever reason) I could see a reason as to why they wouldn't want to make a guessing game like with ARMS. Said reason being that if you say that the next character is from Super Mario, a lot of people will assume that the character will be either Geno, or Waluigi, and regardless of if they pick on, the other, or more likely, neither of them, the raised hopes are sure to explode into backlash.

I know Nintendo doesn't care about backlash too much ( lol :ultbyleth:), but if it can be avoided while still aligning with their plans, that would be the way they'd want to go, no? It would be slightly uncharacteristic of them to recognize an issue like this, but I do think it there's a small possibility that they might, and react accordingly. Considering this possibility, I now think a Super Mario is possible.
If it's a Mario character it's gonna be either Geno or Waluigi.

Not that it compares to a full blown Switch exclusive like MH Rise, but DMC4 is a prominent game in the series that has yet to be ported so its not as if the series is necessarily done with releases on the system.
Same. It's not like the game is bad or something. I could see Capcom not porting it to the Switch for whatever reason, but it would be strange. 5 on the Switch is a pipe dream, the only way I could see Capcom doing the effort of releasing it it's if the previous ports sold incredibly well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

If they were planning a Mario character then yes, they'd have pushed the anniversary Direct back a little longer as seen with 3DAS already having been pushed back by 5 months, they were already exclusively talking about Mario so saving another Mario announcement for a month or two is just baffling
I imagine the monsters fighting Virgil. But I doubt that's standard.
Ok smartass I imagine them eating Kunio alive now

They do seem to film showcases like 2 months in advance, so unless the trailer wouldn't have been ready, I'd think this was unlikely. It makes too much sense to include the character in that presentation if the character is from the Mario franchise. The only thing that makes me really consider it is the Mario themed Smash tournament. That's in November, right? It's weird that the tournament is so late in the year.
Ok smartass I imagine them eating Kunio alive now
Now I'm thinking about the frog platypus trying to shove the badger thing in its mouth.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
looking at the maintenance again, it's not so much the three maintenances on the same day, or that all network services will be unavailable, but one thing caught my eye

there's a "Parent/Guardian Confirmation" alongside the other maintenances. did that happen before any of the DLC characters for Smash dropped?

also, new Nate podcast feat. Jeff Grubb. interesting stuff about the GC emulator files in SM3DAS:

Last edited:
looking at the maintenance again, it's not so much the three maintenances on the same day, or that all network services will be unavailable, but one thing caught my eye

there's a "Parent/Guardian Confirmation" alongside the other maintenances. did that happen before any of the DLC characters for Smash dropped?
Is it saying that there needs to be guardian confirmation for the maintenance, or is it adding the option to ask for guardian confirmation when buying stuff? If the latter, why was that not a thing before?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is it saying that there needs to be guardian confirmation for the maintenance, or is it adding the option to ask for guardian confirmation when buying stuff? If the latter, why was that not a thing before?
the former would just be silly, it's likely the latter, and idk if there WAS such a maintenance for that before or not

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they were planning a Mario character then yes, they'd have pushed the anniversary Direct back a little longer as seen with 3DAS already having been pushed back by 5 months, they were already exclusively talking about Mario so saving another Mario announcement for a month or two is just baffling
Eeeeeh, I guess that makes sense. Like I had thought before, there's not really any reason why the trailer wouldn't be finished, so they really would have to be sitting on it for some reason and as you say, what on Earth would that reason be? I might could see them not wanting Waluigi or especially Geno in their Super Mario presentation given their likely opinions on the characters and the fact that they don't own Geno, but that's still a pretty weak argument, and they're more likely to just not add the character than not show it off with the rest of their Super Mario stuff. The trailer could also be old, and they couldn't edit in the Super Smash Bros. character, but even that's pretty flimsy since assuming it would have been played at E3 where the incentive to reveal a character like that is much higher.

Yeah, we're not getting a Super Mario character.

Rathalos burgers.
This reminds me of that time I had to do this super boring science program on the computer for school in order to find out that the T-Rex probably would have tasted like chicken...I wish I was joking.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
oh i decided to check that reddit leaker's page

unfortunately they're just as in the dark about smash as every other legit insider
welp.png

so if any twitter ""leaker"" says "it's for sure 1st party" or "def 3rd party" they're lying, much less so naming the exact series

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom