• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I’ll give you Joker and Ryu, as they obviously are Japanese, however I would still maintain that many characters still could pass as Caucasian, be it art style or otherwise. That said, Marth and Roy previously speaking Japanese suggests they are of a Japanese-equivalent origin in their home games as well.

When looking at characters of color outside of Asian background, it would appear it’s a somewhat difficult commodity to ascertain in terms of “gaming character that is not only non-white or non-Japanese, but is a protagonist/mascot”.

In terms of what we might consider “eligible” for Smash, it’s rather difficult unfortunately.
And that's why we stan Elma.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In what way? I would say the Mario cast, Ken (who is half Japanese), the Belmonts and Terry are the only unambiguous white human characters. Everyone else is explicitly Asian (Pokemon Trainer, Joker, Corrin, Min Min), or Japanese-coded Mukokuseki (Fire Emblem characters, etc)
Mario cast as humans? What about Bowser and the other monsters?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Travis is only a matter of when Suda51 loses it and constructs his own Glastonbury and holds Sakurai hostage until Nintendo submits to his whims and finally adds Travis to Smash.
It might have happened already. Why do you think CP7 is taking this long? Sakurai can't film from his house if he's not there. :4pacman:

But tbh I feel like NMH kinda resembles Bayonetta or Banjo-Kazooie in the sense that it's a third party that might not be the biggest, but is really close to Nintendo, at heart. And, well, the former two got in, so...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Samus is totally asexual.

Fight me.

She don't need anybody. Only cute animals and hype man Anthony Higgs.
There's also the fact that anyone Samus ever seems to emotionally bond with who isn't named Anthony always seem to die a horrible, undeserved, and painful death. Samus arguably has the suckiest life of all the Nintendo protagonists, or at least one of the suckiest.
I heard Joker can date Akechi.
Could be wrong, I haven't played P5R.
I mean, he's not an official gay option, but with all the subtext he might as well be.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I haven't played the games unfortunately! I'm interested, I'd love to see how his characterization leads you to feel that way! Ace characters have it hard - if they're not SCREAMING that they're ace, people just won't believe it. It's similar for other LGBTQ+ characters, but it's always stood out to me more with ace characters because people will incorrectly assume if they're not interested in the opposite sex then they're interested in the same sex.

I like Dunban's design though, and I'm interested in the series. I'll have to check it out.
It's just that the writers at Monolith Soft seem to be quite obsessed with putting lots of (frankly rather rubbish) straight romance into their (non-X) games. So in a game where pretty much every other party member and a rather big number of NPCs are shown to be attracted to characters of the opposite sex, Dunban just stands out in that he is never shown to have any romantic or sexual interest in anyone.

Also, on the topic of Xenoblade, Mòrag and Brighid in 2 are both gay, dating each other, and are the best part of the game in terms of its writing, don't @ me.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's just that the writers at Monolith Soft seem to be quite obsessed with putting lots of (frankly rather rubbish) straight romance into their (non-X) games. So in a game where pretty much every other party member and a rather big number of NPCs are shown to be attracted to characters of the opposite sex, Dunban just stands out in that he is never shown to have any romantic or sexual interest in anyone.
I don't remember any scenes where Reyn expresses interest in anyone. Is it tucked away in one of his Heart to Hearts with Sharla or something?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I don't remember any scenes where Reyn expresses interest in anyone. Is it tucked away in one of his Heart to Hearts with Sharla or something?
From his interactions with Sharla it always seemed pretty obvious to me that they had mutual feelings for one another. He certainly did always act rather flustered when she showed any kind of interest in him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, aside from Tracer and possibly any Nintendo character, who else is LGBTQ in the video game world?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
There's also the fact that anyone Samus ever seems to emotionally bond with who isn't named Anthony always seem to die a horrible, undeserved, and painful death. Samus arguably has the suckiest life of all the Nintendo protagonists, or at least one of the suckiest.
Reminder that all of Samus's friends and family are dead, usually by Ridley/Dark Samus's hands.

Actually, Ridley could probably qualify as an asexual icon too; say what you want about him he seems to express no sexual feelings towards Samus whatsoever, romantic or predatory.
Then again he spends most fights trying to penetrate her defenses with thrusts from his long tail so what do I know.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
O RLY?

On that note, I ain't doubting that. But anyone wanna give me reasons why, if it doesn't hurt to ask?
An Essay on Ike's Sexuality

This has been long debated among the community, and I personally have debated it too often to want to put more energy into something I feel in my heart to be true.

The fact is there is no clear, definitive statement on Ike's sexuality. We only have what we can infer from the story in his two games, and in particular his interactions with the other characters. But what we can infer, frankly, is pretty clear to me that Ike was meant to be a gay character. His final scene with Soren, where Soren opens up to him and cries and he embraces him?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Also, on the topic of Xenoblade, Mòrag and Brighid in 2 are both gay, dating each other, are the best part of the game in terms of its writing, don't @ me.
And while this is the topic at hand, remember that in one of the post-game screens Nia yeets Rex out of the way and takes Pyra and Mythra for herself.

The Aegis is the property of the cat now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Reminder that all of Samus's friends and family are dead, usually by Ridley/Dark Samus's hands.

Actually, Ridley could probably qualify as an asexual icon too; say what you want about him he seems to express no sexual feelings towards Samus whatsoever, romantic or predatory.
Then again he spends most fights trying to penetrate her defenses with thrusts from his long tail so what do I know.
Ridley is murdersexual.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

This has been long debated among the community, and I personally have debated it too often to want to put more energy into something I feel in my heart to be true.

The fact is there is no clear, definitive statement on Ike's sexuality. We only have what we can infer from the story in his two games, and in particular his interactions with the other characters. But what we can infer, frankly, is pretty clear to me that Ike was meant to be a gay character. His final scene with Soren, where Soren opens up to him and cries and he embraces him?

Huh? What did Soren open up to him about, exactly?

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I don't really have the time to read that essay right now, but doesn't Ike also stand out in the regard that he only has paired endings with other male characters?

And while this is the topic at hand, remember that in one of the post-game screens Nia yeets Rex out of the way and takes Pyra and Mythra for herself.

The Aegis is the property of the cat now.
And that's why it's the only part of that version of title screen that I like.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Based on the RTC of characters who had highest ratings.

If these were the five characters. How satisfied would you be?

Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Professor Layton, Rex, and Ryu Hayabusa.
It at least partially fits my philosophy, but personally I wouldn't really care for it a ton. Ryu would be neat at least, and I'd dig all the salt Lara and Rex would supply.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From his interactions with Sharla it always seemed pretty obvious to me that they had mutual feelings for one another. He certainly did always act rather flustered when she showed any kind of interest in him.
From what I've seen in recent memory, he just seems more awkward since she keeps comparing him to her husband, but I've also only seen their first Heart to Heart and haven't seen the two interact in the later half of the game in years.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is probably the most evil character in Smash, my goodness.

And I have not even beaten a Metroid game in my life.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oppression from his brand mostly.

Also that Ike is the only person he trusts.

Personally I think Ike is a character who should be asexual as he's kind of like this force of good that disappears once the world is saved, but I understand the gay interpretation.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley is probably the most evil character in Smash, my goodness.

And I have not even beaten a Metroid game in my life.
I'm sorry Shiny, if you want to sit at the cool kids table you need to beat at least three Metroid games.

I don't write the rules.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oppression from his brand mostly.

Also that Ike is the only person he trusts.

Personally I think Ike is a character who should be asexual as he's kind of like this force of good that disappears once the world is saved, but I understand the gay interpretation.
I see. Maybe the embracing in Ike’s arms was something, but hey; anything is possible, especially with Ike being the only person Soren trusts.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
From what I've seen in recent memory, he just seems more awkward since she keeps comparing him to her husband, but I've also only seen their first Heart to Heart and haven't seen the two interact in the later half of the game in years.
Sharla and Gadolt were never married, though. And the game does push the two as a secondary couple quite a bit later on. I've played the game at least half a dozen times over the years (including DE), so I'd hope that I know what I'm talking about.

Monue

Smash Apprentice

Gets me every time. Soren is a very stoic character, he opened up his heart to Ike in a way he never had with anyone else in their last scene together.

I don't really have the time to read that essay right now, but doesn't Ike also stand out in the regard that he only has paired endings with other male characters?
Yes, this is also very true! Soren and Ranulf.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I just said some things based on something I thought was the case. Like I said, I am sorry if I meant harm, but I wasn't even trying to put my foot in my mouth.
People usually don't put their foot in their mouths on purpose, so I think we can believe you when you say you weren't trying.

Ike is a Gay ass mother ******
How can he be both gay and **** mothers? :4pacman:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I see. Maybe the embracing in Ike’s arms was something, but hey; anything is possible, especially with Ike being the only person Soren trusts.
It's one of those weird things when you're interpreting fiction.

Is a hug romantic? A sign of friendship? A simple act of kindness?

Ask 20 people and you'll probably get 20 answers.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I must say, now that we are out of the mayhem about me, I say this discussion on LGBTQs is interesting...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's one of those weird things when you're interpreting fiction.

Is a hug romantic? A sign of friendship? A simple act of kindness?

Ask 20 people and you'll probably get 20 answers.
Yeah, with people being different, there is never just one answer to anything, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom