• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Problem is a lot of potential LGBTQ+ characters are either side characters or more generic avatars.
Like Poison would be amazing but good luck getting in when loads of key characters like Chun-Li, Bison, Cammy and Guile aren't playable.
**** ****ing sucks for us.

People wouldn't be defensive if you weren't trying to shut the convo down, just saying.
I wasn't trying to do that. I was just trying to make a suggestion. Badly made? Maybe, but controlling anyone was not what I intended to do.
[/QUOTE]

I am not, honestly. You are just not seeing what I was trying to do.

Being defensive over asking why they wanna talk about LGBT characters? :nifty: Taking LGBT characters seriously like we weren't already supposed to?

The only defensive person here is you, my man.
I don't think so. I was just trying to help.

You're not. I understand you don't want to be painted as a villain here but man you're acting like one. Chill out.

and just google sus on urban dictionary

You thought talking about LGBT characters was "problematic"? :drshrug: Who are you saving us from by zipping our lips?
Once again, I wasn't doing that.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't a ghost character from Paper Mario TYD also either trans, female presenting, or genderfluid? I know this isn't exactly Newcomer Speculation stuff - though I guess I support characters like Birdo being included, so~

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ok but

so long gay bowser

need I say more?
ACKSHUALLY
Wasn't a ghost character from Paper Mario TYD also either trans, female presenting, or genderfluid? I know this isn't exactly Newcomer Speculation stuff - though I guess I support characters like Birdo being included, so~
Yeah, that would be Vivian. She's supposed to be trans in most versions, but this was from the 2003's, so social norms at the time led to that being censored out in some translations.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Vivian is presented as being trans in the Japanese version of TTYD.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I want to talk about this, because I was just curious with who was a part of the LGBTQ+ community in Smash.

There is nothing wrong with the question at all, and you are just being annoying. If you are so annoyed with the discussion, then leave.
Trust me, I am not. I have no problem with LGBTQs whatsoever. Really, I have none. I was just trying to help out with something that just ended up getting overblown. I had my fears of what would happen, but I meant no harm to anyone.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think so. I was just trying to help.
Help with what? :drshrug: Certainly wasn't helping to answer Shiny's question because you surely didn't want it answered.

Once again, I wasn't doing that.
Then what was problematic about the topic? Speak for yourself instead of always trying to shield yourself.

D

Deleted member

Based on the RTC of characters who had highest ratings.

If these were the five characters. How satisfied would you be?

Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Professor Layton, Rex, and Ryu Hayabusa.
That would be lit, while I don't really care for Lara or Ryu, Crash and Layton is cool, and Rex is super hype for me. Overall, I gave 7.5/10

Also, so we're getting maintenance on the 14th, but why would that have to do with smash. Can someone explain this to me, cheers!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Vivian. I think she was transgender in Japan, but all references to that were removed in the international versions, because of course they were.

And hey, I doubt that the mods will mind too terribly much if we go a bit off-topic. We really haven't been getting much in the way of Smash-relevant news recently, after all.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Help with what? :drshrug: Certainly wasn't helping to answer Shiny's question because you surely didn't want it answered.

Then what was problematic about the topic? Speak for yourself instead of always trying to shield yourself.
Once again, you don't know what I was doing. I don't even know what Shiny asked. But this is turning into an unneeded argument. Just let it go. I was trying to speak for myself. Some people just made assumptions about me, or what I was doing. Like I said, I meant no harm.

7NATOR

Smash Master
ACKSHUALLY

Yeah, that would be Vivian. She's supposed to be trans in most versions, but this was from the 2003's, so social norms at the time led to that being censored out.
There actually used to be someone named Gay Bowser, but it seems that's not the case. I think the guy might have died, in which case, R.I.P

Since we're talking about characters that are Bi and Homo-Sexual, what about characters that are Asexual?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, so we're getting maintenance on the 14th, but why would that have to do with smash. Can someone explain this to me, cheers!
It's tradition for Smash speculators to assume any period of maintenance is related to Smash even though it only happened around 1% of the time,

That's all there is to it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Vivian. I think she was transgender in Japan, but all references to that were removed in the international versions, because of course they were.

And hey, I doubt that the mods will mind too terribly much if we go a bit off-topic. We really haven't been getting much in the way of Smash-relevant news recently, after all.
If we're being specific, only the English and German localizations removed the mentions of masculinity. All the other translations left it intact.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Outside of completely avatar characters like Villager and Miis (where you make up their identity), I think the only canonically LGBTQ+ playable characters in Smash are Corrin and Byleth who are both bi.

Pretty sure every other instance is either headcanon, subtext, or misunderstandings.

Though depending on how whether Snake is simply Solid Snake or meant to be all the Snakes I suppose we could add him to the mix. Big Boss is bi I think.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Once again, you don't know what I was doing. I don't even know what Shiny asked. But this is turning into an unneeded argument. Just let it go. I was trying to speak for myself. Some people just made assumptions about me, or what I was doing. Like I said, I meant no harm.
Then I guess this is a lesson to read before you try to dive in and "save" someone from the horrific discussion of... LGBT characters. :191: I'm kidding if you couldn't tell.

I think the only canonically LGBTQ+ playable characters in Smash are Corrin and Byleth who are both bi.
That's what I was thinking as well, the rest that come to mind are headcanons like Ike. Couldn't tell you about Bayonetta though, I don't play her games.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Outside of completely avatar characters like Villager and Miis (where you make up their identity), I think the only canonically LGBTQ+ playable characters in Smash are Corrin and Byleth who are both bi.

Pretty sure every other instance is either headcanon, subtext, or misunderstandings.

Though depending on how whether Snake is simply Solid Snake or meant to be all the Snakes I suppose we could add him to the mix. Big Boss is bi I think.
Snake is basically his MGS2 suit with Big Boss's face from MGS3 so I guess Big Boss counts.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
There actually used to be someone named Gay Bowser, but it seems that's not the case. I think the guy might have died, in which case, R.I.P

Since we're talking about characters that are Bi and Homo-Sexual, what about characters that are Asexual?
Yeah, seems about right. A nun-humanoid robot is probably the best we could hope for.

Ha! More like Bi-g Boss, am I right?

I mean, yeah, but I think we should stick to video game characters for this.

Pearl & Marina would be pretty cool to see in Smash, though they weren’t confirmed as lovers as much as heavily headcanoned to be
Oh yeah, those two are also pretty easy to read as a couple. Kinda like Flick and C.J. (I think that was his English name?) in New Horizons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Spongebob's in Smash confirmed?
I thought he meant video game characters for a second, my bad.

Spongebob isn't a video game character, but hey, he appeared in multiple games before.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That's what I was thinking as well, the rest that come to mind are headcanons like Ike. Couldn't tell you about Bayonetta though, I don't play her games.
There's a lot of implications with Luka and Jeanne in her games, but Bayonetta kinda behaves in a flirty way in general, so whether it's just that or there is actually something going on with either of them is up for debate.

No actual confirmation, iirc.

I think 7NATOR means characters in Smash...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Then I guess this is a lesson to read before you try to dive in and "save" someone from the horrific discussion of... LGBT characters. :191: I'm kidding if you couldn't tell.

Very funny, but don't assume something about me, let alone others, just because of a text sentence of what I said. Text only tells so much, and I was not raising my voice with that first post. I only said that because, well, I thought the mods would step in and do something about it, as if it was against the rules. I could have been wrong, but believe me, I have been to places where it was the case.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I do have to wonder, within the context of that Suda quote about Travis, how much pull Sakurai would have if Suda really asked nicely.

Considering the amount of DLC newcomers we’ve had, it’s almost along the lines of the total newcomers we’ve had in precious Smash games. It’s almost like it’s a new game...hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom