• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I probably gave a bad example there.

Now i just saw this and found it funny. The Tecmo Koei Twitter for NA specifically said did you watch the japanese direct mini to see the announcment for the new Ryza game. This is so funny and odd situation here.
...Now I question why on earth they didn't bother to put it in the US one. There's no way to know. That is strange, I agree.

I'm not saying it can't be more on NOA, but we lack too many behind the scenes information, so.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
This might be unpopular to say here, but I'm very close to hoping Nintendo goes third-party. And I'm not saying that just because I'm "salty" about this Direct. The Switch had a great first year or so, but since then... it's been fairly Wii U-esque. And this year is shaping up to be nearly as bad as the worst from that era.

The only thing keeping me from really wanting this to happen is Nintendo's better policy on censorship. And yes, I'm aware that Nintendo isn't going third party regardless of what I want. lol

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It feels so good watching the people who believed the leaks suffer knowing that I was right all along.
So you're a masochist who enjoy seeing people suffer with a superiority complex who need to be right about something about video game to refill that self-esteem? :bobomb:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This might be unpopular to say here, but I'm very close to hoping Nintendo goes third-party. And I'm not saying that just because I'm "salty" about this Direct. The Switch had a great first year or so, but since then... it's been fairly Wii U-esque. And this year is shaping up to be nearly as bad as the worst from that era.

The only thing keeping me from really wanting for this to happen is Nintendo's better policy on censorship. And yes, I'm aware that Nintendo isn't going third party regardless of what I want. lol
Gooigi's Mansion released last year, you don't get to compare this to the Wii U

Seriously though Nintendo's having a trash 2020 but to compare it to the Wii U is ridiculous, not only did we still get some pretty high-tier games in AC and Xenoblade, but also the sheer amount of high profile exclusives from third parties that have been announced is something that would never have happened on Wii U.

D

Deleted member

Who said anything about a Direct tomorrow, if I read correctly?
We were all hyped to high heaven this morning because it was last night that Resetera was going off with a leaker saying that there'd be a Direct tomorrow (Monday). He also had alluded to it being pleasing to a lot of us and other leakers started boarding the hype train as well.

Unfortunately, the train went too fast, shot past its intended station, and angered all of us waiting on the platform for good news.

He was right in that there would be a direct, but apparently the fact that the direct would in fact be part of a series of directs completely evaded him. Now, I guess its that there's a direct we'll all appreciate eventually but God only knows when since we haven't a clue as to when the next in this set of mini directs will release or what areas they'll cover or even how many there'll be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

The only thing keeping me from really wanting this to happen is Nintendo's better policy on censorship. And yes, I'm aware that Nintendo isn't going third party regardless of what I want. lol
Can't wait for Mario '66 where Mario need to kiss a real life animal to save the day from Omega Satan.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Trolling
So you're a masochist who enjoy seeing people suffer with a superiority complex who need to be right about something about video game to refill that self-esteem? :bobomb:
If there's anything I've learned from Kirby's down air, it's that suffering can be fun if the right people are targeted. And the people that were targeted were the people who thought we were going to get a full direct. Therefore, it was fun.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
We were all hyped to high heaven this morning because it was last night that Resetera was going off with a leaker saying that there'd be a Direct tomorrow (Monday). He also had alluded to it being pleasing to a lot of us and other leakers started boarding the hype train as well.

Unfortunately, the train went too fast, shot past its intended station, and angered all of us waiting on the platform for good news.

He was right in that there would be a direct, but apparently the fact that the direct would in fact be part of a series of directs completely evaded him. Now, I guess its that there's a direct we'll all appreciate eventually but God only knows when since we haven't a clue as to when the next in this set of mini directs will release or what areas they'll cover.
I think everyone is taking the idea of "series" too generously. People are taking this to mean "Oh so we'll have episodic Directs! Probably a better one in a week or two" when it really means "This is a new thing we're going to do every few months"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
it's that suffering can be fun if the right people are targeted. And the people that were targeted were the people who thought we were going to get a full direct. Therefore, it was fun.
If you think anyone need to suffer, humiliated, mocked and laughed at, about Video games, then you need to check your priorities.

D

Deleted member

I think everyone is taking the idea of "series" too generously. People are taking this to mean "Oh so we'll have episodic Directs! Probably a better one in a week or two" when it really means "This is a new thing we're going to do every few months"

Yeah, I know, that's why I said we've got no idea when the next will even release or what content it will cover. I meant to add "Or even how many there will be" but in my hastily written rant, I forgot lol.

I could have worded it better, but it doesn't really matter in the end. People will still look at the word 'series' and think a string of consistent and timely videos.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

Last year was arguably better then 2017 though. Nintendo had published at least one major a month during the latter half of the year and some months had multiple games.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If there's anything I've learned from Kirby's down air, it's that suffering can be fun if the right people are targeted. And the people that were targeted were the people who thought we were going to get a full direct. Therefore, it was fun.
Now That's What I Call Edgy

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know i just saw this tweet and i can beleive this 1 part of the trailer was why Ryza 2 wasnt on the NA direct

Just imagine how some of the more vocal smash fans would be.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I swear you must’ve ripped this straight from a mid-2000s emo band. Beyond satire.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
While I don't particularly endorse people harassing "insiders" for uncontrolled hype, I do think people are far too kind of leaker culture here.

These are leakers people. There's a reason companies hire people just to manage community and social networking, and it's because you need to be very controlled and careful around how you interact with fans.
If some rando decides that they would rather have all the attention and glory and start leaking stuff, it's on them when those fans turn rabid on them and start calling for their head. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T LEAK STUFF. Well, one reason of many.

Sure, let's call for human decency and for people to control their expectations, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend leakers aren't the cause of their own demise.

Gooigi's Mansion released last year, you don't get to compare this to the Wii U

Seriously though Nintendo's having a trash 2020 but to compare it to the Wii U is ridiculous, not only did we still get some pretty high-tier games in AC and Xenoblade, but also the sheer amount of high profile exclusives from third parties that have been announced is something that would never have happened on Wii U.
While I somewhat agree with this, I would counter that three years into the Wii U the stuff we got first party included the likes of Splatoon, Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Yoshi's Woolly World. Sure, we also got a lot of stinkers (ew Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Amiibo Festival), but those other titles were phenomenal at worst.

This year you mention AC and Xenoblade, but one of those is a remake of a ten-year old game. And, hot take, the content in this AC pales in comparison to previous installments due to the desire to pace out seasonal releases, so it's still kind of a slow burn title with a slow drip of RNG-fueled content. Also it was supposed to be a 2019, just got pushed to 2020.
So yea, this is a terrible year for first-party Nintendo.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
You know i just saw this tweet and i can beleive this 1 part of the trailer was why Ryza 2 wasnt on the NA direct

Just imagine how some of the more vocal smash fans would be.
I know this is a joke, but I mean, remember the Shantae window?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

He was right in that there would be a direct, but apparently the fact that the direct would in fact be part of a series of directs completely evaded him. Now, I guess its that there's a direct we'll all appreciate eventually but God only knows when since we haven't a clue as to when the next in this set of mini directs will release or what areas they'll cover.
Ot maybe combined it's a good direct. Luckily for us they're all spread out so we can possible have a another craptastic one next month

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Here's where it reveals Sakurai hates Persona fans and wants to rightfully put SMT back on the throne, be it Demifiend or the new guy, one of their gimmicks is deal triple damage to Joker specifically
Ironically I think some people would be okay with that, anything in order to counter Joker.

Talking about King of Fighers, KOFXV was slated for a 2020 release date and we haven't even had a general reveal yet. Kind of saddens me it's pretty much implied to be delayed at this point. It's one of the games I'm looking the most forward to at this point along with SMT and GG Strive.
Well, while not super likely I think there's still some hope. KoFXV could appear at Xbox's Showcase this week. Also, I think that the Tokyo Game Show is still a thing, that's another place where it could appear.
I'm also looking forward to the game.

I can't believe Ryza and Paper Mario are confirmed for The King of Fighters XV
Ryza and Paper Mario on KoFXV? Day 1 buy.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh by the Way, The New tag did dissapper between Hero/Banjo and Terry

https://web.archive.org/web/20190815115325/www.smashbros.com/en_US/

It Also wasn't there with before Joker

https://web.archive.org/web/20181128195343/https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/

So the whole thing with the New Tag dissappering with 3rd Parties, and staying with 1st parties seems to be a Thing, FOR DLC ONLY Though.

There's also a fact that every 3rd Party DLC Released a Day or Straight after their Presents Video. Byleth and Min-Min, the 1st parties, took about a Week-2 Weeks to release

My Theory is that with Nintendo Characters, They want to remain as Secret as Possible for some reason, even more than the 3rd parties, so there's more Precaution to making sure as Few people know as possible. Make of all this as you will

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I've never been a fan of leaks in general. Sure it gives us something to talk about but if right it spoils if wrong leads to disappointment. And usually when they are wrong its because what they ended up better than the reality

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Call me crazy but I think Dante is coming to smash. I'm if he's the next fighter but I'm pretty sure he'll be announced soon

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Last year was arguably better then 2017 though. Nintendo had published at least one major a month during the latter half of the year and some months had multiple games.
I think 2017 was still better. We had BotW, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey. There was also ARMS and XC2, but those weren't as big. That's not to say 2019 wasn't good, but SwSh was the only game that had massive appeal. SMM2 sold well, but it died pretty quickly. LM3, 3H, and YCW had a decent following, but they weren't comparable to the "big three" of 2017.

I'd say 2018 was the worst. Ultimate was pretty much the only "big" game, unless you count Let's Go, a couple of Kanto remakes. There was Kirby, Labo, and a lot of ports, but overall, not much going on from Nintendo.

Depending on what else gets released this year, 2020 could end up being the worst year. New Horizons prevents this year from being the clear loser, but Origami King ain't gonna cut it. We need either one more major new game, or quite a few smaller games with a decent sized fanbase.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Lowkey, I could see Dante as a big reason why Fighter Pass 2 might take much longer than usual

They probably want to make his Moveset the Biggest Moveset even seen in Smash. Implementing all those moves though will take alot of Time, and Alot of Balancing, and Alot of Animating and stuff

WaxPython

Smash Ace

3rd party? Didn't work out for Sega.

Lowkey, I could see Dante as a big reason why Fighter Pass 2 might take much longer than usual

They probably want to make his Moveset the Biggest Moveset even seen in Smash. Implementing all those moves though will take alot of Time, and Alot of Balancing, and Alot of Animating and stuff
This and some news from Japan that didn't make it to mainstream western media also kinda makes me think Dante is imminent. Isn't the DMC producer close with Smash bros executives and he said he wants Dante in smash once the games are on Nintendo platforms?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ironically I think some people would be okay with that, anything in order to counter Joker.
Everyone cheers until people realize Demifiend can do this to high level players
There was a problem fetching the tweet

For real I did some research and Nocturne's battle system is quite possibly my favourite turn based combat system just by reading how it works, a combat system that rewards the player for making the correct play while punishing bad plays sounds like an explosively fun character to play and fight

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm pretty neutral on Dante's chances. I could see him get in, but I could also just as easily see him being glossed over completely.

I do think the Smash fanbase has started exaggerating his chances ever since the beginning of this year when that "I would like to see Dante in Smash" comment was made though.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I think 2017 was still better. We had BotW, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey. There was also ARMS and XC2, but those weren't as big. That's not to say 2019 wasn't good, but SwSh was the only game that had massive appeal. SMM2 sold well, but it died pretty quickly. LM3, 3H, and YCW had a decent following, but they weren't comparable to the "big three" of 2017.

I'd say 2018 was the worst. Ultimate was pretty much the only "big" game, unless you count Let's Go, a couple of Kanto remakes. There was Kirby, Labo, and a lot of ports, but overall, not much going on from Nintendo.

Depending on what else gets released this year, 2020 could end up being the worst year. New Horizons prevents this year from being the clear loser, but Origami King ain't gonna cut it. We need either one more major new game, or quite a few smaller games with a decent sized fanbase.
While I do love BOTW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, and Xenoblade 2, but outside of Arms it was mostly ports of Wii U games like Mario Kart 8 and Pokken. With 2019, I felt the quality was way more consistent and had better variety just in the summer alone we had Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem, Three Houses and Astral Chain all of which were very different from each to the point and yet fantastic at the same time and then in fall we had Link's Awakening, Luigi's Manson, and Pokemon while I do prefer the summer line up that is a still a solid line up and third party support was objectively better in 2019, we had late, but great ports of Witcher 3, Hellblade, Assassin's Creed 4, and Dragon Quest 11, third party exclusives like Deamon x Machina, Collection of Mana, and same day releases for Wolfenstein Young Blood, Mortal Kombat 11, Crash Team Racing.

Everyone cheers until people realize Demifiend can do this to high level players
There was a problem fetching the tweet

For real I did some research and Nocturne's battle system is quite possibly my favourite turn based combat system just by reading how it works, a combat system that rewards the player for making the correct play while punishing bad plays sounds like an explosively fun character to play and fight
I can already see the unironic Dark Souls comparisons in reviews when this remaster releases.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
A5450088-5512-4E08-A2EF-3D02EEAA3F1F.jpeg

“So you think watching a fanbase suffer is funny?”

I do. And I’m tired of pretending it’s not. Comedy is subjective, Murray. Alll of you, the system that knows so much, you decide what’s right or wrong - the same way you decide what’s funneh, or not.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Maybe it's just 'cause I love just about all of Nintendo's IPs, but I wouldn't really say any year has felt like a "Wii U year" to me. Like, even controversial/divisive games like Kirby: Star Allies and Mario Tennis Aces were solid games IMO. Heck, I even had fun with Let's Go and SwSh.

Honestly, this year's output hasn't been completely horrible IMO: It's just is lacking wide appeal games and proper communication (which kinda can't be helped given the pandemic), so while I am disappointed in some of Nintendo's output this year, it's far from bad in my eyes. Animal Crossing is fantastic, Club House Games is a great casual game, and Paper Mario turned out shockingly pretty good. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon looked fun but I lacked the time for it, and Xenoblade ain't my jam, but I'm not gonna pretend they don't exist. This year has definitely been a focus on smaller games that, unfortunately, only appeal to very specific fans, and that's not gonna make everyone happy.

It also helps that I don't play exclusively Nintendo games: I play a bunch of indie and third party stuff too, so that helps offset the dry spells. Of course, this is all subjective, and I won't fault people for not liking how Nintendo's handled the Switch, but so far it's given me some of the best Nintendo games I've ever played in BotW, Mario Odyssey, Three Houses, Ultimate, Splatoon 2, and Luigi's Mansion 3.

Just my two cents on the matter. :dr^_^:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Oh by the Way, The New tag did dissapper between Hero/Banjo and Terry

https://web.archive.org/web/20190815115325/www.smashbros.com/en_US/

It Also wasn't there with before Joker

https://web.archive.org/web/20181128195343/https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/

So the whole thing with the New Tag dissappering with 3rd Parties, and staying with 1st parties seems to be a Thing, FOR DLC ONLY Though.

There's also a fact that every 3rd Party DLC Released a Day or Straight after their Presents Video. Byleth and Min-Min, the 1st parties, took about a Week-2 Weeks to release

My Theory is that with Nintendo Characters, They want to remain as Secret as Possible for some reason, even more than the 3rd parties, so there's more Precaution to making sure as Few people know as possible. Make of all this as you will
This is pretty much a stretch & a coincidence. They take off the tag when the feel like it

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As disappointed as I am in Nintendo's current absolute lack of communication and as absolutely valid as the continued frustration at Nintendo's inability to communicate compared to other gaming companies, I do think people need to recognize how much better things are than the Wii U era or even periods in the Wii era TBH. 2017 and 2019 have been two of Nintendo's best years as a developer period with an amazing onslaught of quality titles. 2018 was weaker, but still had consistent releases and Smash to cap it off. 2020 has had Animal Crossing New Horizons and while not everyone's cup of tea, is generally considered one of the Switch's best titles and one of, if not the, best Animal Crossing games to date and keeps the system in the public consciousness. Those kinds of major releases may not be as often as people would prefer, but they will always carry a lot of weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom