• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Nintnedo's like the rain, and calling this situation a drought is very accurate. It's glorious and refreshing when it happens, but you never know when. You can bang at the wall and scream your lungs out, but it won't come any faster. A little more transparency would be nice, but we can't do anything about it, unfortunately.
They thought Americans liked guns and wrestling, but not IN-DEPTH PETTING OF DOGS? Way more people in this country enjoy petting dogs than guns and wrestling. On the very low chance anyone from Nintendo sees this, take notes!
Dog petting is a universal joy ingrained into all humans and anyone who can't see that clearly hasn't had a formal education. It could just be eight minutes of Sakuna playing with the Shiba and it would still be well recieved.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
We now know why Falcon's voice actor was called back for slurping sounds.
Those were some very juicy, steaming, piping hot noodles after all.

I'm sorry :roll:

They thought Americans liked guns and wrestling, but not IN-DEPTH PETTING OF DOGS? Way more people in this country enjoy petting dogs than guns and wrestling. On the very low chance anyone from Nintendo sees this, take notes!
Why not both? Give us a shooter where we can pet our guns. /s

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
You are right to some degree that its Nintendo's fault since the hardware isn't really that powerful, but that is the price for having a hybrid system since when the Switch launched its about as powerful as a handheld can be at that price and battery life. So would you rather have them sacrifice the thing that is making the Switch successful just to have more western third party support? Because I certainly won't, the Switch is my go to console for myself and many others due to its hybrid nature.
I think the Switch was a great idea for Nintendo as the 3DS was one of their best consoles so it took the development teams of 3DS and Wii U and combined them into a single system. Now Nintendo only has to make 1st party games for one console. It was also very attractive to the West similar to the Wii with its potential and design.

Switch started out very well but the later software development, marketing, etc. has gone back into the Japanese centric direction and turned off the Western audience. All the momentum from the launch is gone. Granted, they did get popular Western titles recently like Doom Eternal and Overwatch. I think Nintendo is doing better than they have in the past but weak eras such as the Gamecube and Wii U era nearly sunk the company. Nintendo tends to make a big leap forward and then take two steps back after the leap. They cannot maintain momentum, at least outside of Japan.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Welp, all is forgiven.

Seriously though, why couldn't this or Ryza be in the NA Direct?

Now I'm even more confused why they werent in the direct themselves... it just baffles me

Seems like the Geno thread has had an even harder time dealing with the Direct than this thread and the social thread.

Haven't decided yet whether or not I was fully expecting that.
I am not surprised at all and afraid to even look there. How bad is it?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Similar to the Treehouse event they did before, I think this is a means for them to further trim the fat from their main Directs. Directs had a tendancy to get bogged down with a lot of third party junk that wasn't that interesting. This new partner showcase series and reveals like the Treehouse Bakugan thing may be their method of appeasing their advertising partners while letting them have more freedom with their first party reveals.
This all just means that if we do get a full direct at some point this year, we'll probably get a REALLY tight one. Not the longest, but the most dense with first party stuff.

As for why the Japanese one was so much better than the American one, that's just probably up to NoA being dumb about what they assume would appeal to the American market over the Japanese one. Of the games not discussed in the American one, two of them were SUPER Japanese focused. Ryza's more general and the more Japanese ones do look better and more interesting to me (and probably a lot of people) but the marketing team probably just made bad calls based on what they assumed people would be more into.
Like, I get what you're saying, but SMTV (and Nocturne) definitely would have been saved for the "main" Direct if that was the case, I think.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I am not surprised at all and afraid to even look there. How bad is it?
Well...

Holy mother of ****. I got up at 7 in the morning to watch 45 seconds of chibi WWE?! Nothing but literal SHOVELWARE?! **** you, Nintendo. You've hit a new low. You literally managed to take gutter-level expectations....and SUBVERT them! Wow. Just wow.

"Wake me up when September ends..."

It's official. Nintendo has absolutely nothing up their sleeve this year.
Obviously I'm pretty mad and if I could piss lightning bolts DIRECTLY into Furukawa's ear canal, I ****in' would BUT I'm still adamant about good news coming. As I've talked about in the past, dates are a ***** to get down and why I usually don't bother. Basically a lot of people were led to believe that today would be THE Direct and a lot of people are fuming, even people who get paid to do this. There's obviously a misunderstanding and you can't have virtually everyone with insider info saying something substantial is coming soon and then literally all of them be totally wrong. Getting an exact date wrong is one thing, getting literally months of info that a whole sprawling network of people have heard is quite another.

The last one had a little bit of truth to it, but the Furukawa part came off as a little aggressive.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
They might do a showcase focused on first party projects, maybe? Those Mario remasters gotta be announced somewhere. IDK, this whole thing is weird.

Anyways, Atelier and Sakuna for Smash those games look heckin' wholesome and amazing.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If only a TimeSplitters trilogy and a WWF No Mercy remake appeared instead of Rogue Company and that cartoony WWE game that I've already forgotten the name of... then I would enjoy the direct.

Oh well. I can still dream. At least it's physically impossible to take that away.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well...

The last one had a little bit of truth to it, but the Furukawa part came off as a little aggressive.
It’s like they didn’t read the part about “Business Partners”

Anything Square Enix would probably be saved for a full direct

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Anyways, Atelier and Sakuna for Smash
Wouldn't their games be shown in the worldwide Directs as well if they were coming? Gotta help spark interest in the rest of the world outside of Smash too.

I'm not saying you can't support them, just my thoughts.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Wouldn't their games be shown in the worldwide Directs as well if they were coming? Gotta help spark interest in the rest of the world outside of Smash too.

I don't really choose the characters I support because they're likely, honestly. I just choose based off of what seems fun.

Atelier and Sakuna look rad, so put 'em in, I say.

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
January: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - A port of a relatively niche game with a few extras, and Brain Age
February: ...
March: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX - A remake of a GBA game, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons
April: ...
May: Xenoblade Chronicles DE - An enhanced remaster of a Wii game that was also ported to 3DS not too long ago.
June: Clubhouse Games 51, and some fairly short DLC for Sword/Shield, Min Min for Smash, and Ninjala
July: Paper Mario: The Origami King - A new installment of a series that's been subject of a lot of controversy over the direction already.
August: Second summer DLC for Animal Crossing
September: Crown Tundra release for Sw/Sh

I might have missed a few things, but really, these are the only truly notable releases so far this year. Out of all of those, only three games are brand new installments. Out of those three, only two have replay value, and out of those two, only one is something that's universally liked while the other is a hit or miss. I won't discredit Xenoblade, since it's a huge enjoyable game, but it's still a remake and it's the only huge release other than Animal Crossing.

Metroid Prime 4 is definitely nowhere near halfway done, since they're still hiring and Bayonetta 3 and No More Heroes 3 are pretty much in purgatory. I do not blame anyone one bit for being annoyed.

Let's compare 2019:

January: New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Feburary: Tetris 99, but this was a dead month otherwise.
March: Yoshi's Crafted World, DLC for Captain Toad, couple of Final Fantasy ports,
June: Super Mario Maker 2
July: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
August: Astrail Chain
September: Link's Awakening, Dragon Quest with exclusive content, Daemon X Machina
October: Luigi's Mansion 3, Ring Fit Adventure
November: Pokemon Sword/Shield, Mario & Sonic

Not to mention, we got practically all our Fighters Pass 1 throughout 2019. In comparison to 2019, 2020 has been downright embarrassing. I totally get there's the virus to deal with, but it's hard not to get upset when Nintendo's claiming that it hasn't effected their schedule much. Sakurai gets a pass because he made it very transparent that his team is working remotely, and things are a little tough.

And yes, I saw that tweet where Nintendo might be trying to prevent a situation where there COULD be delays, but at least throw us something even without a release date. Waiting is tolerable as long as we know what's coming in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Seems like the Geno thread has had an even harder time dealing with the Direct than this thread and the social thread.

Haven't decided yet whether or not I was fully expecting that.
I'm not surprised at all.

They got trolled by reputable insiders who we've come to trust. Say what you will about the Geno fanbase, but I think they have a certain right to get mad when it seemed like everything was set up in Geno's favor only for it to crumble in front of them.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I didn't know that only two posts apparently constitutes an entire thread.
I'd probably get flagged if I quoted the entire thread.

But seriously, it should go without saying that there's a few good seeds who didn't flip out, and those two quotes don't reflect everyone's feelings. Overall though, the thread has been pretty aggressive, even to those trying to ease the tension. I just shared two posts that caught my eye.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't surprise me if the closest we can get to a SMT rep this pass would just be Dante, which would disappointing because I think demi-fiend would be really cool if he was in smash.

SKX31

Smash Master
Lol, I just realized the last movie I saw in theatres (and will likely see for a long time) was Sonic.
That was the case for me as well.
What was it, oh yes, the Sonic movie is the #2 Worldwide for the year so far. Behind Bad Boys for Life.

And the Sonic movie will see its Chinese release soon:

January: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - A port of a relatively niche game with a few extras.
February: ...
March: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX - A remake of a GBA game, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons
April: ...
May: Xenoblade Chronicles DE - An enhanced remaster of a Wii game that was also ported to 3DS not too long ago.
June: Clubhouse Games 51, and some fairly short DLC for Sword/Shield, Min Min for Smash, and Ninjala
July: Paper Mario: The Origami King - A new installment of a series that's been subject of a lot of controversy over the direction already.

I might have missed a few things, but really, these are the only truly notable releases so far this year. I do not blame anyone one bit for being annoyed.
There's just one game missing there IIRC:

jump-rope-challenge-switch-screenshot01.jpg

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm surprised but also not surprised that there's this much upset from people about the direct. It makes sense I guess considering how much people have been waiting for more. I'd definitely call it a drought. And a tiny tiny cloud just passed by and had a few drops just to remind us that there could be some water XD

I am disappointed, but we just gotta look forward ;)

I guess I'll go back to playing some games for now.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah Geno fans got it rough. Dunno if insiders were intentionally messing with them or not, but if they were, that's not cool.
Maybe it wasn’t intentional? Maybe Geno’s bait like with the Seven Squares list?

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Not really... This is a series with deep Nintendo history that spans nearly 3 decades. I can definitely see it happen on it's own merits without any synergy needed.

As for whom however, yes I do think it depends on timing. If SMTV is somehow out by the first half of 2021, I could see the new protagonist. Otherwise, it's very likely gonna be Demifiend, even if you take the Nocturne remaster out if the equation.
Yes but all I’m saying is we should take caution when it comes to game promotions a lot of people done that for other games like doom eternal and dmc3 & it didn’t end well. But aside from that since it’s a switch exclusive this time around + it’s history with Nintendo back in the nes days that you mentioned & it being a simultaneously release as well as it being on the same tier as :ultcorrinf::ulthero:&:ultbyleth:. I can at defiantly see Nintendo wanting to promote it as a fighter but I can’t say for certain since all we got was a year release but we’ll see, if it’s somewhere in the fall then it would line perfectly for challenger pack 9

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
oh ****, I forgot Dante was a boss in Nocturne. Wonder if they kept him in
Seems like it. Dante was only in one version of the game, and was replaced with Raidou, the protagonist of the Demon Summoner series in other versions.

Guess who showed up in the trailer today?

Not Dante, that's for sure.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well...

Jesus, and i was worried i came off too harsh and angry lol.

They might do a showcase focused on first party projects, maybe? Those Mario remasters gotta be announced somewhere. IDK, this whole thing is weird.

Anyways, Atelier and Sakuna for Smash those games look heckin' wholesome and amazing.
I gotta make that ryza for smash thread tonight for sure. She really would. e a fun addition. Plus i can use that not a smash hint shot of the envelope too lol.

Sakuna i hope at least gets a Mii costume. This game has been in work for ages, a 2 man studio, and ninte do has a keen interest in it. It deserves a mii swordfighter costume at the very least.

They got mentioned on twitter, so thats something... but i dont want to say not being shown on the na direct hurts them. That was more marketing being a colossal failure at NoA recently.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Seems like it. Dante was only in one version of the game, and was replaced with Raidou, the protagonist of the Demon Summoner series in other versions.

Guess who showed up in the trailer today?

Not Dante, that's for sure.
Maybe they’ll include both Raidou AND Dante?

please?

zferolie

Smash Hero
What was it, oh yes, the Sonic movie is the #2 Worldwide for the year so far. Behind Bad Boys for Life.

View attachment 279473
I miss movie theaters a bit, but i have a drive in movie theater close to me i will be using... once they start putting out new movies. Right now its just old movies which is not a bad idea its just i wanna see new stuff. I was tempted to go see jurrasic part jaws double feature though.

And lol that sonic 06 part.

I'm surprised but also not surprised that there's this much upset from people about the direct. It makes sense I guess considering how much people have been waiting for more. I'd definitely call it a drought. And a tiny tiny cloud just passed by and had a few drops just to remind us that there could be some water XD

I am disappointed, but we just gotta look forward ;)

I guess I'll go back to playing some games for now.
Yeah i should get back to work on FGO summer 2 rerun. Need to make sure best girl Nitocris wins this part of the race

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Maybe they’ll include both Raidou AND Dante?

please?
It's the same boss fight, so again, doubtful.

It's probable that Atlus just didn't want to pay Capcom for the royalties at this time. I'm sure they're a lot higher this time around given DMCV boosting the series to new heights.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Posted this on the Geno Thread because of the Hype Surrounding him, but this Is Also Especially useful for Speculation down the Road (Potentially)

A Fellow Brother on Gamefaqs might have found something interesting

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78859459/942350976

Shout out to Psystrike95. If you read the Post, it would seem that everytime that the New Tag dissappears, we get a 3rd Party Character. If the New Tag Stays up, we are getting a 1st Party Character (This seem to Apply to DLC Characters, I think with Base it was every character)

We need to do further investigation with the Internet Archive, but if this is actually a thing, This could be useful for Predicting Characters. Yes

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not surprised at all.

They got trolled by reputable insiders who we've come to trust. Say what you will about the Geno fanbase, but I think they have a certain right to get mad when it seemed like everything was set up in Geno's favor only for it to crumble in front of them.
At the same time, this isn't a first for them. As someone who followed the Ridley support thread(s) for years, it got to a point where most people stopped investing so much emotion into leaks and rumors. There had been so many broken promises, trolls, and fake leaks over the years that even Ridley supporters themselves were writing off Verge and several other insiders leaking Ridley for Ultimate.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the disappointment. It's the lack of caution which leads to outrage that confuses me. After all this time, the Geno thread really shouldn't have its bad reputation anymore. The thread should've gotten to a point where we can have a Direct or character reveal without fear of the thread being locked.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I Posted this on the Geno Thread because of the Hype Surrounding him, but this Is Also Especially useful for Speculation down the Road (Potentially)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78859459/942350976

Shout out to Psystrike95. If you read the Post, it would seem that everytime that the New Tag dissappears, we get a 3rd Party Character. If the New Tag Stays up, we are getting a 1st Party Character (This seem to Apply to DLC Characters, I think with Base it was every character)

We need to do further investigation with the Internet Archive, but if this is actually a thing, This could be useful for Predicting Characters. Yes
Byleth is my favorite third party character

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I recall the new tag going down before Isabelle’s reveal, and I don’t think the new tag went away between Hero/Banjo and Terry either

Eldrake

Smash Lord

View attachment 279473
-30% capacity max + empty seat between each person.
-Temperature checks for customers
-No food and drink allowed
-No movies longer than 2 hours
-No criticism of Sonic 06 allowed

That is... oddly specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom