• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If a new F-Zero game is coming then for the love of god don't shove in unnecessary gimmicks. Let me race with full speed on my pro controller. **** the joycons and their drifting.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Harsh, but very true. Geno fans tend to be very vocal on wanting him. Honestly, I never got how Geno fans swarmed into smash fanbase so much... was it due to project M putting him in?
I think it was because Geno was already a fairly popular character in the Mario fanbase, and in the early days of the internet Nintendo and their close friends were dominant in speculation. From what I've heard, his support began to go quiet until he got a Mii and Sakurai said he though he'd be cool to be playable. I think the Grinch leak may have stoked the flames further, but I wouldn't know enough to say.
But yeah. If it weren't for the interview, I think Geno would be in the same spot as Krystal and Ashley at the moment; Fairly popular, but generally passed over.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Harsh, but very true. Geno fans tend to be very vocal on wanting him. Honestly, I never got how Geno fans swarmed into smash fanbase so much... was it due to project M putting him in?
It was much longer than that. Back in the early Brawl days, people cared less about whether or not a character felt like they belonged in an elite gaming hall of fame, and Geno just happened to pick up more steam than a lot of other minor characters. It helps that the Rawest Forest animation had recently come out (it was a song, but then got its own music video in June 2007), reminding people of SMRPG.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm hearing some folks are thinking Tanabe's interview today hurts Geno's chances?

Honestly...I'm not quite sure what to think on that one. People here who are familiar with me already know I've never given him great odds, but as for whethe or not this particular interview means bad news or nothing at all...I think I'll need a bit to think about it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm hearing some folks are thinking Tanabe's interview today hurts Geno's chances?

Honestly...I'm not quite sure what to think on that one. People here who are familiar with me already know I've never given him great odds, but as for whethe or not this particular interview means bad news or nothing at all...I think I'll need a bit to think about it.
I'd think those purists at Nintendo wouldn't have even let Geno and Waluigi have spirits/a Mii costume/an AT if they truly would be obstacles for their chances at playability.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
So an F-Zero game...

F-Zero .... racing game ... in space ...

Could certainly explain that Star Fox Grand Prix rumor. Right?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Y'know what would be kinda neat, assuming F-Zero Switch is actually real?

They add Samus into the game as a racer and by doing so connect the F-Zero and the Metroid universes together in a weird but somehow pretty awesome twist. (and we get other cameo appearances by Fox and Falco as well as the smaller than bottlecap sized Olimar, and wynaut throw ROB in the mix too)

i still lowkey want samus and capt falcon in mario kart tbh

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Y'know what would be kinda neat, assuming F-Zero Switch is actually real?

They add Samus into the game as a racer and by doing so connect the F-Zero and the Metroid universes together in a weird but somehow pretty awesome twist. (and we get other cameo appearances by Fox and Falco as well as the smaller than bottlecap sized Olimar, and wynaut throw ROB in the mix too
ROB deserves it after he got kicked out of Mario Kart. Still mad

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So an F-Zero game...

F-Zero .... racing game ... in space ...

Could certainly explain that Star Fox Grand Prix rumor. Right?
One F-Zero racer is James McCloud, who is a Star Fox tribute. And is not to be confused with Fox's dad.

...did they trick insiders into thinking we'd get a Star Fox racer by showing them gameplay solely featuring a bunch of Little Wyverns?

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
I remember people thinking the rumored Star Fox Grand Prix turned out to actually be the Starlink game. Which makes no sense, since the rumor was Retro Studios designing it. For a project to switch developers is nuts, and would've been leaked since contracts would've changed.

A simple ASSET and IP change would make more sense.

Heck ... "Star Fox Grand Prix" could've been the damn CODENAME for the project. There's never been a Grand Prix for Starfox .... there's been a Grand Prix for F-Zero.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You thought it was Star Fox Grand Prix, BUT IT WAS ME, F-ZERO!
Star Fox Grand Prix was in development hell for so long they started over with F-Zero instead. After more development hell, they finally decided to make it a grandiose Star Fox X F-Zero ambitious crossover destructive racing game with elements from both franchises.

Joycons still required, though. :bowsette:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think this is just a case where geno got a lot of legacy Because of fans in smash speculation.
When Sakurai said that he considered putting Geno in, I think that sparked even more traffic for him. Maybe right now people don't remember that too much, but it did raise things for Geno quite a bit and help the train get even bigger :)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I know Monday is an odd day to have a Direct. Not out of the realm of possibility though.

But what about the announcement? Have they ever done an announcement on a Saturday or Sunday before?
Are people already forgetting the ARMS presentation being announced on a Friday and coming out on a Monday?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I don’t know how Geno fans are still so confidant after Heihachi popping up in Min Min’s DLC wave. That Mii costume proves they’re still releasing Smash 4-era costumes and that they will drop them whenever they please; how that didn’t put the fear of God in each and every one of them is beyond me.

EDIT: Re-reading this, it sounds like I’m being hostile to Geno fans, which was not my intention. Sorry if it comes off that way to anyone.
Honestly, I commend them for being so committed. Before DLC, I like most of us probably did thought Geno had a shot for base game, considering we did get K. Rool and Ridley base game. I do think the possibility of us getting another Square character is pretty likely, considering they are supporting the game with finally giving us spirits, I do think we are going to get another Square character within this pass, and Square has proven that they go for their bigger characters or franchises for paid DLC now whoever that ends up being (Sora, Laura Croft, 2B, Neku) that costume is more than likely going to come back. Either that or Geno ends up being something like they did with the first Pass with Piranah Plant and whoever Square chooses ends up being the paid DLC character for the pass instead. I'm kind of surprised that no one hasn't thought of that as a possibility.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Normally I would take a jump in pages to mean something happened while I was gone, but something tells me regardless of a Direct announcement tomorrow, the page count is gonna jump up anyways.

...Potentially even more than if a Direct got announced. :p

Shroob

Sup?
Tomorrow will be a very awkward day, because even if there isn't a Direct announced, we technically could get one the following 2 days.

I can't really recall any times that a General Direct was announced on a weekend, but they've done it multiple times for other, small presentations.

MooMew64

Tomorrow will be a very awkward day, because even if there isn't a Direct announced, we technically could get one the following 2 days.

I can't really recall any times that a General Direct was announced on a weekend, but they've done it multiple times for other, small presentations.
Nate Drake, to my knowledge, never denied it wouldn't be another Mini shadow drop. :nifty:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
"The next Smash character will be... someone from Tetris!"

Can't wait for the debates on whether it's the L block, the J block, or the T block.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom