• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm sure it is fake, but don't hold having an Origami King trailer against the leak: pretty much every Direct features a "go buy this game that just came out!" segment. If anything, it's the supposed Clubhouse Games DLC that's unlikeliest of all.
As ridiculous as Clubhouse Games DLC is I can't lie, I'd pay an extra five dollars for a fully-fledged game of Go, a sliding game like Rush Hour, and like Roulette or Gin Rummy or something. Generic brand Monopoly. Who knows. I've been playing Clubhouse Games every day and having a lot of fun.

No way it's happening though.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Not as small as Atelier, that’s for sure. Just going from the games themselves every iteration, not version, of Ninja Gaiden has sold over a million copies. Atelier’s highest grossing game is Ryza which has only barely hit 450,000. Overall Atelier has probably made more than Ninja Gaiden if we don’t take DOA into effect but Atelier is a annual franchise so it’s not a surprise it pulls in a pretty good bit.

In terms of the Smash fan base? Yeah, no, we’re not huge but we’re notable at the moment just because people have been paying attention. Even still, Atelier is almost NEVER in the public eye even for the games themselves let alone one of the characters in Smash.

I don’t see Atelier getting a character before Hayabusa gets in. The only character I can see taking a place over Hayabusa is William Adams from Nioh and that’s only because of the fact that Nioh is a ****ing hit right now.

KT did say they were hoping they could give Ninja Gaiden news “soon” last year and what that means is up in the air but it’d be quite nice if that news was either a new Ninja Gaiden, Hayabusa in Smash, or both. You never know.

I don’t think we’re a HUGE fan base but I don’t think that makes Atelier more likely just for the sake of it being brought up on a 4Chan post.
Hayabusa is also 1000x more recognizable even if his series has been dormant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTIB4w-Gq4

At two minutes into this GameStop video, the person speaking says "everyone freaked out when Geno was announced for Smash". The edit shows the spirit battle but the wording is strange. The theory going around by some is that this was recorded before the event that this was supposed to be revealed at.

My confusion lies in the fact that if they knew who was next they would have the press kit and proper render or screenshots for him, and if it was a legitimate accidental leak they'd have edited the line out completely.

It's a strange situation to be sure.
Yeah, this is a load of nothing. This is just normie speak for “People freaked out when he appeared in Smash as a spirit”.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'll copy and paste what I wrote on the Geno thread. At least most of it.

I went onto the person's twitter, and I think the most likely thing is that this was recorded all the way back in June (at least the audio was). Don't want to get any more personal, but I think her twitter activity in the last 2 weeks is a big hit to the "leaks" chances. Nintendo had their E3 cancellation revealed since May. Even if they gave out information to Gamestop first, I don't think that they gave them out information on this Direct any earlier than the start of July.

So unless she has some best sources in the industry who told them that Geno was a fighter in June, I doubt that the video is "leaking" anything.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Smash fans and making a chicken out of a feather, name a better duo. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If this was a legit leak then that means a script editor missed leaking Geno, the script reader missed it when recording the video and that a video editor also missed it. Feels like a hell of a lot of mistakes
Not to mention that, at least according to people who have done some digging, this lady's been recovering from some form of surgery for a few weeks now, meaning this isn't 'new'.

This was likely filmed back sometime in June before her surgery, and I don't see Nintendo dropping information about fp7 over a month in advance.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Geno cannot be in smash because his name is too close to Genocide.

This is the actual reason why hes been left to rot in obscurity. How did i know? Dr. Disrespect told me before he got banned

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not to mention that, at least according to people who have done some digging, this lady's been recovering from some form of surgery for a few weeks now, meaning this isn't 'new'.

This was likely filmed back sometime in June before her surgery, and I don't see Nintendo dropping information about fp7 over a month in advance.
E3 being cancelled was already known long beforehand then too. I've heard the argument that she's editted the video herself because apparantly that's the norm because of the pandemic but that means she came across her own line about Geno, knew she needed some visual key for the video and didn't realize "Alright, time for a visual key for Geno in Smash. Wait hold up" and then edit the line out. At that point ****'s just funny at how bad one person screwes up

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Atelier being a Koei series with a bunch of Switch ports and a recent push into the West got me like:

KatarinaThonk.png

Shroob

Sup?
I just don't buy the "leak".

I know I'll come off as the big bad Geno-hating boogeyman, but **** doesn't line up if we consider some thing:

1#: Nintendo cancels their E3 plans in early May, meaning that most likely, companies like Gamestop are not sent press kits for E3 because, well, there IS no E3.

2#: This woman's been recovering from surgery over the last few weeks, meaning this video was not filmed recently, most likely filmed sometime in June.

So to come to the conclusion that this poor phrasing means Geno is confirmed, that would mean that Nintendo would have sent out press kits over an entire MONTH in advance.

The fact that well respected and known leakers only just recently learned the potential drop date of a Direct, I'm really not believing that this would happen.

I don't hate Geno in the slightest, but looking at this from a non-biased standpoint, **** don't add up.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can someone tell me what is going on with this Ryza character, as well the Geno Gamestop?
(I'm starting to get confused.)
Two different "leaks" of varying legitimacy.

Very low legitimacy, but they're still varying.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Atelier being a Koei series with a bunch of Switch ports and a recent push into the West got me like:

View attachment 278632
Hayabusa fans seen crying in the back after one alchemist girl gets a Smash invite
I just don't buy the "leak".

I know I'll come off as the big bad Geno-hating boogeyman, but **** doesn't line up if we consider some thing:

1#: Nintendo cancels their E3 plans in May, meaning that most likely, companies like Gamestop are not sent press kits for E3 because, well, there IS no E3.

2#: This woman's been recovering from surgery over the last few weeks, meaning this video was not filmed recently, most likely filmed sometime in June.

So to come to the conclusion that this poor phrasing means Geno is confirmed, that would mean that Nintendo would have sent out press kits over an entire MONTH in advance.

The fact that well respected and known leakers only just recently learned the potential drop date of a Direct, I'm really not believing that this would happen.

I don't hate Geno in the slightest, but looking at this from a non-biased standpoint, **** don't add up.
Honestly, all the things that needed to go wrong for this to be a genuine leak is close to "I stole a switch with the Smash demo but when I tried datamining it the console explode but Gardevoir and Gothitelle are in"

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I can give people hopping on the Ryza thing. I mean, people can easily know about something legit and sneak it into a fake leak, but whatever, that's at least worth discussion. I mean I wouldn't mind it for sure, I'm always up for more female reps in Ultimate and she could have a really neat kit/gimmick, not to mention that leak also said Bayonetta 3 trailer which I'm all for. Still seriously doubt it though.

But is this Geno thing literally just that video above? The one where she's clearly just mispeaking and means "when Geno was shown as a Spirit in Smash"? Why else would she use the footage of his spirit battle while saying it? Like, I get people being bored and wanting something to discuss but come on, that's just ridiculous.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What's a 4th party(non-video game) character you would want in Smash, if any?
That’s easy!

Captain N from Captain N The Game Master cartoon

Nester from the Nintendo Power magazine with some moves from Pilotwings 64 and Nester’s Funky Bowling and his own comics

And of course...

Jessie and James aka Team Rocket with Meowth as the main playable Pokémon and Ekans and Koffing (or Arbok and Weezing) taking turns as Meowth’s tag team partner (switch Poison-Type Pokémon via Down Special)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If anyone wants to double check, yes, Pamela's been pretty much out of commission all of July, so it's incredibly unlikely this was filmed this month.
You're changing sides, Shroob? :073: I talked about it being recorded earlier in Geno thread, but that's so ****ing weird to keep it on the backburner for so long.

Shroob

Sup?
You're changing sides, Shroob? :073: I talked about it being recorded earlier in Geno thread, but that's so ****ing weird to keep it on the backburner for so long.
Changing sides? I've been on Team#Notarealleak since the start, lol.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Changing sides? I've been on Team#Notarealleak since the start, lol.
Aye man you always gotta know the stitch. :secretkpop: But man, this **** is just bizarre. Hopefully the reveal of anything can get this mess out of the water, whether it actually be Geno or ****ing I don't know, Ginger Trunks.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm getting flashbacks of the Rayman and Raiden leaks from Smash 4.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
[

One of the things that confuses me most about that thread, is how they seem to think there is a good chance we will get both Geno and Waluigi, I don't see getting two characters in the same series in the same pass.
It's odd, I've posted in that thread, I've never thought both were coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTIB4w-Gq4

At two minutes into this GameStop video, the person speaking says "everyone freaked out when Geno was announced for Smash". The edit shows the spirit battle but the wording is strange. The theory going around by some is that this was recorded before the event that this was supposed to be revealed at.

My confusion lies in the fact that if they knew who was next they would have the press kit and proper render or screenshots for him, and if it was a legitimate accidental leak they'd have edited the line out completely.

It's a strange situation to be sure.

First time I've ever seen someone mention press kits for smash dlc characters. Previous ones haven't had them

Shroob

Sup?
It's odd, I've posted in that thread, I've never thought both were coming.

First time I've ever seen someone mention press kits for smash dlc characters. Previous ones haven't had them
I feel like if a character is going to be released in a General Direct, which is what everyone's assuming right now, it'd be obvious that the DLC character would be thrown into a press kit, it's how websites have articles and images at the ready mere minutes after the presentation ends.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I feel like if a character is going to be released in a General Direct, which is what everyone's assuming right now, it'd be obvious that the DLC character would be thrown into a press kit, it's how websites have articles and images at the ready mere minutes after the presentation ends.

Im not asking about your opinion. No other dlc characters have had press kits, just curious why that trend was bucked suddenly

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No other dlc characters have had press kits, just curious why that trend was bucked suddenly
Wait.

How do you know other DLC characters didn't have press kits?

Logic would dictate they would.

Shroob

Sup?
Im not asking about your opinion. No other dlc characters have had press kits, just curious why that trend was bucked suddenly
Can we confirm that they haven't? I'm not an employee of Gamespot or any gaming journalism website, but those sites seem to have full-fledged articles ready merely minutes after their reveals, meaning that they had to have gotten their info slightly early somehow.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm pretty sure that Joker got a Press kit even back in december 7, with the famous quote saying that he was representing Persona and Shin Megami Tensei's history with Nintendo, but that might be my memory being...
Foggy.

Ah.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Press kits are a thing yes and they’re usually kept so under wraps because it usually just goes to one person and if the leak comes from that site or whatever it means one person leaked it and that one person is going to lose their job. One journalist gets the press kit to write the article. Not the whole company. Only other person I would think would know about the character at that point would be the editor.

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I'm pretty sure that Joker got a Press kit even back in december 7, with the famous quote saying that he was representing Persona and Shin Megami Tensei's history with Nintendo, but that might be my memory being...
Foggy.

Ah.
I think you all are confused about the meaning of a press kit versus mere promotional images. One is a designated package sent to journalists, the latter is freely available. All smash ultimate dlc has been the loose format, with all official renders and artwork being revealed through the site, and the samurai presents

EDIT. There's a more succinct way to put this, I'll revisit what I mean once I get some coffee in me haha

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Not buying the Atelier leak but it's always nice to see characters who aren't being talked about much have a day in the limelight of the speculation scene.
Also if you've never heard anything about the series before I highly recommend checking out some of the OSTs because those games have some serious bangers!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Figured I'd ask another question because I don't have anything else better to do with my life:

What's a 4th party(non-video game) character you would want in Smash, if any?

unless you knew me from the social thread my answer is gonna be very confusing lol
Mine IMO has to be Chronojet Dragon. Now if that name doesn't ring a bell at all, don't worry. It's not a character I feel basically anyone but me knows around here
I've already kinda accepted my most wanteds(being basically all card game characters) are never getting in. Ever. But I still like to speculate on them because I find that more enjoyable than debating on the likelihoods of "who is the most likely to get into Smash right now"
To me Chronojet just looks ****ing cool. That and his whole Stride(essentially reverse time travel where you bring your future self to you) thing is interesting enough I feel it could be a very interesting moveset, in a manner similar to Joker but instead of just Joker's main persona you have a few more options. Really though I just like how he looks. he's a kickass metal dragon who gives no ****s and has WHEELS for feet. ****ING WHEELS. ..how cool is that?
For me, it's Lincoln from The Loud House... Would be funny seeing a scrawny 11-year old beat up frigging Galeem and Dharkon, two powerful gods of light and darkness.

Also Godzilla would be awesome to have!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Not buying the Atelier leak but it's always nice to see characters who aren't being talked about much have a day in the limelight of the speculation scene.
Also if you've never heard anything about the series before I highly recommend checking out some of the OSTs because those games have some serious bangers!
Atelier Ryza is definitely a game I'd get if I had the money.

I'd say time as well but that hasn't stopped my backlog from growing exponentially.

I'm also definitely interested in writing about it as a less popular series that has a viable chance for playable inclusion.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yes and no, press kits don't have any sort of universal "secrecy" to them, depends by company. Some have their kits freely available to download off their site, but oftentimes it's a direct contact affair with the journalist. For Smash Ultimate, there have been no press kits sent out for the DLC characters. All promotional material has been publicly released information. I'm willing to take an L on this theory, I just know a friend I do some contract work for occasionally for has never received any but is on the Nintendo press list. Seems too specific and odd an exclusion.
Then that'd be a huge blow against the current Geno leak, no?

If you're saying that there aren't any press kits sent out for DLC, then Gamespot would have 0 idea who the next DLC character is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think you all are confused about the meaning of a press kit versus mere promotional images. One is a designated package sent to journalists, the latter is freely available. All smash ultimate dlc has been the loose format, with all official renders and artwork being revealed through the site, and the samurai presents

EDIT. There's a more succinct way to put this, I'll revisit what I mean once I get some coffee in me haha
That doesn't disprove press kits as like Shroob said, they had articles up the minute characters were announced. If they didn't get press kits, they would have to be able to write articles with multiple sentences and then release those articles in an impossibly short span of time

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I seriously doubt that Nintendo doesn't send out press kits for Smash characters, gaming news sites are a big part of building hype for the mainstream gaming audience (as in, the people who aren't necessarily going to be watching a Nintendo Direct). Press kits are probably not sent too far in advance to avoid leaks, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom