• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of Spirit Events, what is this week's Spirit Event, if there is any?
I think we're still on the Octopath event? I could be wrong, I don't know if the tournament event and spirit events are interchangeable. If so, it's a space-themed online tournament.

D

Deleted member

Any kind of Musou love and acknowledgment would be nice at this point. Whether it's Dynasty Warriors in Smash or FE Warriors/Hyrule Warriors spirits. At least that is what I think.
The only Musou acknowledgement that has happened so far is Sakurai mentioning it in Byleth's presentation, so there's that. Not really anything remote about Smash content, but it's the only Musou related thing Sakurai has brought up... ever.

I'm definitely hoping for that to change eventually.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
This should debunk the leak. The Zelda title is a literal copy paste of one of those fantendo wiki articles.

Double K

Smash Lord
Dr. Kawashima shows that characters based on real people are fair game and Dracula shows that characters who are video game adaptations of characters from classic literature are fair game. There's really nothing stopping Dynasty Warriors.
Dracula is a character in Castlevania before Bram Stoker's Dracula, or Vlad Tepes. as opposed to lu bu for example< who is basically just a straight up rip from the literary character from romance of the three kingdoms. Which is in turn, a dramatization of the historical figures recorded in Record of Three Kingdoms.

Except Dynasty Warriors has always been a video game franchise; it's Koei-Tecmo (or rather Omega-Force)'s take on that certain era of Chinese History with their versions of real life people.
It's not even that far off of Romance of the Three Kingdoms though. Dynasty Warriors is mostly a high-light reel and some fanfiction of a fanfiction.

There's a big difference between Romance of the three Kingdoms and Dynasty Warriors. This is basically like the Fate situation: Real people and mythos being used but are so far detached from their source material that they're basically fictional characters who just happen to carry a bit of the historical name and lore but those incarnations are game characters.

And really, I doubt the real Lu Bu was able to cause earthquakes and volcanic anime explosions with one swing of his weapon, causing 1000s of soldiers to fly in the air like it's raining men.

And honestly Dynasty Warriors is an influential franchise that should get some recognition in some way at some point in Smash.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms is already fiction. Records of the Three Kingdoms is the historical account.

Also no, Lu Bu actually basically was like that in the story. Maybe no volcanic explosion, but the trotting of the Red Hare was so distinct, that it brought the battle to a hallt.

Calane

Smash Ace
Atelier huh? Never heard of it before. Doesn't seem to be my type of game but I might check it out later. To the fans of the series, I'm curious. How would a character play like and what their abilities? I'm intrigued but this seems quite niche. People smack talked Terry for not knowing him and calling him "obscure". If people were like that towards a character from Fatal Fury, then I can't imagine the reactions people would have toward a rep from a series this niche. I know it's not super obscure (I read Droodle's post), but this would create some extreme salt.

But hey if a lower pantheon character can get in then that might make my man Crypto more feasible.
I'm sure Ryza's defining "gimmick" would be synthesis/alchemy (obviously). If I had to come up with a concept for her off the top of my head, it'd be something like this:

Ryza's down special spawns an alchemy pot and has her thinking about what she should make. From here, the player can press A, B, X, or Y, which all add a different ingredient. The unique ingredients mapped to those four buttons are always the same, so there's no randomness to the move. During this move, the player can only pick two ingredients to throw into the pot, but each combination produces a different item. Just to make things simple, I'll say she's able to make actual items from Ultimate itself, even if they're turned off in the match. Let's call this move "Synthesis".

Alright, so as an example, you use synthesis (Ryza's down special) and press "A" followed by "B", which causes her to toss the "A" and "B" ingredients into the pot. Let's say this results in Ryza creating a Fire Flower, so now she's able to pick it up and use it in battle. "A" and "B" would always produce a Fire Flower, so once the player learns that recipe, they can now create a Fire Flower anytime they want.

This would make it so that players can memorize recipes for Ryza's down special, and use that knowledge to their advantage.

"A" + "B" = Fire Flower.

"A" + "A" = Fire Bar

"B" + "Y" = Ray Gun

"X" + "A" = Bob-omb

"Y" + "X" = Home-Run Bat

And so on and so forth.

The animation for the move would have to be pretty quick to have it work, and you should be able to cancel the move by shielding.

Other than that, she fights with a staff and has some special attacks and whatnot, so those could be used to fill out the rest of her moveset.

That's the best I got, lol.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm sure Ryza's defining "gimmick" would be synthesis/alchemy (obviously). If I had to come up with a concept for her off the top of my head, it'd be something like this:

Ryza's down special spawns an alchemy pot and has her thinking about what she should make. From here, the player can press A, B, X, or Y, which all add a different ingredient. The unique ingredients mapped to those four buttons are always the same, so there's no randomness to the move. During this move, the player can only pick two ingredients to throw into the pot, but each combination produces a different item. Just to make things simple, I'll say she's able to make actual items from Ultimate itself, even if they're turned off in the match. Let's call this move "Synthesis".

Alright, so as an example, you use synthesis (Ryza's down special) and press "A" followed by "B", which causes her to toss the "A" and "B" ingredients into the pot. This results in Ryza creating a Fire Flower, so she's now able to pick it up and use it in battle. "A" and "B" would always produce a Fire Flower, so once the player learns that recipe, they can now create a Fire Flower anytime they want.

This would make it so that players can memorize recipes for Ryza's down special, and use that knowledge to their advantage.

"A" + "B" = Fire Flower.

"A" + "A" = Fire Bar

"B" + "Y" = Ray Gun

"X" + "A" = Bob-omb

"Y" + "X" = Home-Run Bat

And so on and so forth.

The animation for the move would have to be pretty quick to have it work, and you should be able to cancel the move by shielding.

Other than that, she fights with a staff and has some special attacks and whatnot, so those could be used to fill out the rest of her moveset.

That's the best I got, lol.
I've never played the Atelier game, but honestly that sounds like a fun concept for a character, but I would rather have her craft original items from her franchises rather than generic smash items. If I'm correct Atelier is a pretty big franchise (more than 10 games), so there's probably items from her own franchise that could work in Smash.

Calane

Smash Ace
I've never played the Atelier game, but honestly that sounds like a fun concept for a character, but I would rather have her craft original items from her franchises rather than generic smash items. If I'm correct Atelier is a pretty big franchise (more than 10 games), so there's probably items from her own franchise that could work in Smash.
Of course. I just used Smash items for simplicity's sake.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
To be fair, Ninja Gaiden hasn't seen a lot of activity lately, and unlike Banjo there really isn't that much fan demand for Ryu.
In Ninja Gaiden's defense, Koei Tecmo will often find some sort of way to put a Ninja Gaiden reference in some of their works even if the series itself isn't all too active.

Hayabusa is still one of the most prominent characters in the Dead or Alive series, had one of his ancestor's appear as hidden boss fight in Nioh (complete with Hayabusa's theme being played when you defeat him), was one of the most advertised "guest" characters in Warriors Orochi 4, and has been featured on both the NES Mini and NES Online. The Ninja Gaiden series hasn't gotten anything new in quite some time, but it's not really like a Banjo sort of scenario where Koei Tecmo is totally neglectful of it. It's pretty dang clear that even if KT isn't making any Ninja Gaiden content, they'll still find a way to have their mascot cameo in stuff.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Wait what’s going on with Geno rumor wise?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTIB4w-Gq4

At two minutes into this GameStop video, the person speaking says "everyone freaked out when Geno was announced for Smash". The edit shows the spirit battle but the wording is strange. The theory going around by some is that this was recorded before the event that this was supposed to be revealed at.

My confusion lies in the fact that if they knew who was next they would have the press kit and proper render or screenshots for him, and if it was a legitimate accidental leak they'd have edited the line out completely.

It's a strange situation to be sure.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
From the small amount of gameplay I've seen, I at least remember the explosives (Despite Ryza being a minor, which raises many questions). She could probably have a moveset using only Atelier items, though alchemy would probably get adapted in some way.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
This should debunk the leak. The Zelda title is a literal copy paste of one of those fantendo wiki articles.

To be fair, it's not the craziest idea for a name, even if fans thought of it before. BotW is kind of a modern take on the original Zelda, perhaps the sequel would be a modern take on Zelda II?
1594868673132.png

Zelda II did have this as the Game Over screen, it could theoretically be a clever callback even though it is a pretty terrible name.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Ah man, Geno thread's ****ing losing it, man. They're posting like wildfire. It'll be sad if it turns up false lmao.

Quick, hide Persona. :pI get the point I'm just memeing.
What if 2B is the next character and Geno is relegated to a Mii Costume? I thought about this and it would be so bittersweet

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What if 2B is the next character and Geno is relegated to a Mii Costume? I thought about this and it would be so bittersweet
2B's Smash icon will take five months to get into the website. Meanwhile the Geno Mii will be ripped and available use the day of reveal.

It happened with :ult_terry: and :nessecho:, quintessentially this is a proven fact.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Although it did give him trouble with the Castlevania characters.

The Curious Case of Masahiro Sakurai. Probably uses a custom controller with a benjamin button.

Holy crap Sakurai looks older at 27 than he does now what the heck
So, I'm just going to post it here, for the sake of discussion, and because Geno discord and thread are going about it.
Something something, gamestop employee "Pamela Horton" review Origami King, and talk comparision about SMRPG, and how "People freaked out when Geno was announced in smash"

They think geno got leaked by gamestop. Idk what to say or think about it.
No wait it all makes sense.

Sakurai aging backwards.

Interviews about the reaction to Geno coming before the reactions coming before the reveal.

Guys, Geno's reveal is being directed by Christopher Nolan! It all makes sense! The Direct is happening on the 20th, so it would need to be announced the Friday before, July 17th, AKA the original release date for Tenet! I'm on to you, "Sakurai", if that's even your real name.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
Long story short, it goes:
xxxx This game happened.
xxxx Then this game happened.
1897 Then the book happened.
xxxx Then this game happened.
etc.
I hope you understand that this doesn't actually invalidate my original statement, because for this to happen, you have to come up with a huge amount of lore to explain why Vlad Tepes was a vampire in the wars where he protected his country, and Bram Stoker's Dracula is Transylvanian rather than Wallachian.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If that's the logic we're going for, what if Isaac was promoted from his Assist Trophy status, only for all the Assist Trophy frontrunners to be Mii'd? Of course, Shovel Knight would be the PreMiium. And while we're at it, let's deconfirm Shantae too, for... Reasons.

Reimu's opposition must be exterminated

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If that happened, Smash discussions would...sure become interesting.
Thinking about the potency of the salt mines after a suckerpunch like that would probably disintegrate me like I was a slug.

That's because it's just going to be her ass lol
Bro Min Min already came with horny people, I don't want any more. :ghost088:

D

Deleted member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTIB4w-Gq4

At two minutes into this GameStop video, the person speaking says "everyone freaked out when Geno was announced for Smash". The edit shows the spirit battle but the wording is strange. The theory going around by some is that this was recorded before the event that this was supposed to be revealed at.

My confusion lies in the fact that if they knew who was next they would have the press kit and proper render or screenshots for him, and if it was a legitimate accidental leak they'd have edited the line out completely.

It's a strange situation to be sure.
cjgeno.png

My take is that this is a throwaway line by the reviewer which acknowledges Geno's existence within the Smash community. It was posted 2 days ago and hasn't been taken down by Nintendo nor Gamestop, so I'm not really looking into this as anything substantial.

Now, if the supposed Direct happens to be a Super Mario Direct, then things will definitely take an intriguing turn.

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 278621

My take is that this is a throwaway line by the reviewer which acknowledges Geno's existence within the Smash community. It was posted 2 days ago and hasn't been taken down by Nintendo nor Gamestop, so I'm not really looking into this as anything substantial.

Now, if the supposed Direct happens to be a Super Mario Direct, then things will definitely take an intriguing turn.
If it were a Super Mario direct, then we wouldn't even get a Smash reveal.

Between Smash 4 and now, we've never gotten a reveal in a "game specific" direct.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
My thoughts on that Gamestop video about Geno: First of all, I don't think that journalists edit their own videos. That means that there's probably someone else that edit her video. When the person who edit heard "people when freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash", it's possible that the editor didn't know what she was talking about and just put the spirits pic. But even assuming that, the fact that she talk specifically about people's reaction is really weird. Even if she knew that Geno is in Smash, she couldn't have seen any reaction for it. (I mean, she could have guess that reaction would be positive considering his fanbase but it's kinda fishy).

Also the general theory is that this was record before a direct was suppose to aired, but was report, but I doubt that Gamestop would have a review copy of Paper Mario like 1 month before the release of the game, and I doubt that direct would be report 1 week for no reason.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The video's been up for 2 days. Don't you think in all that time, if it was a real slip-up and Ms. Horton had said something she wasn't supposed to, someone would've figured it out by now and taken the video down?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The video's been up for 2 days. Don't you think in all that time, if it was a real slip-up and Ms. Horton had said something she wasn't supposed to, someone would've figured it out by now and taken the video down?
In reality, this is all an elaborate plan to make people actually watch the GameStop YT channel.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the only thing I know about Atelier Ryza also came from the very same review above. Plus, this interview done with the Atelier Ryza producer.

Each Atelier theme is seasonal, and by coincidence, Atelier Ryza is all about the theme of summer which is the very season that this supposed direct is taking place. If she is announces as Fighter 7 in Summer and release as a Fall character, then it was be just like how her first game is released at Fall.

Since the date and coincidence are important to the Smash community:
* September 22 - End of summer
* September 25
- the Japanese release of Joker amiibo & Hero amiibo
- 12th Japanese anniversary of Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
* September 26 - 1st Japanese anniversary of Atelier Ryza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom