• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Then that'd be a huge blow against the current Geno leak, no?

If you're saying that there aren't any press kits sent out for DLC, then Gamespot would have 0 idea who the next DLC character is.
Since it's still showing, no. Not at all. Knowledge of products exist outside of promotional materials, lol what are you saying

Shroob

Sup?
Since it's still showing, no. Not at all. Knowledge of products exist outside of promotional materials, lol what are you saying
Why would Gamespot report on the next Smash character over a month in advance?

The woman in said video has been hospitalized since the beginning of July, so the video wasn't filmed this month, and I just don't believe that if she did slip up and leak a character in a video that was filmed over a month ago that no one caught it, not the editor, not her, or the script writer.

We have to assume too many people are bad at their job and NONE of them noticed the slip up to assume that she leaked Geno, and it's physically impossible for this video to have been filmed this month since she's been hospitalized for the last few weeks, probably writing out entirely that this was made to coincide with the supposed 20th Direct.

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTIB4w-Gq4

At two minutes into this GameStop video, the person speaking says "everyone freaked out when Geno was announced for Smash". The edit shows the spirit battle but the wording is strange. The theory going around by some is that this was recorded before the event that this was supposed to be revealed at.

My confusion lies in the fact that if they knew who was next they would have the press kit and proper render or screenshots for him, and if it was a legitimate accidental leak they'd have edited the line out completely.

It's a strange situation to be sure.
Dunno. I'm all for Geno in smash he seems cool, but if that was truly an accident you'd think they would've taken it down about now.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Why would Gamespot report on the next Smash character over a month in advance?

The woman in said video has been hospitalized since the beginning of July, so the video wasn't filmed this month, and I just don't believe that if she did slip up and leak a character in a video that was filmed over a month ago that no one caught it, not the editor, not her, or the script writer.

We have to assume too many people are bad at their job and NONE of them noticed the slip up to assume that she leaked Geno, and it's physically impossible for this video to have been filmed this month since she's been hospitalized for the last few weeks, probably writing out entirely that this was made to coincide with the supposed 20th Direct.

I think I'm still being misinterpreted. Lack of Smash Ultimate DLC character press kits is not a lack of promotional materials for smash ultimate dlc characters. As I put in the post I deleted, but Shroob quoted, from my knowledge, no direct press kits have been sent for smash ultimate dlc characters. Promotional materials do exist. I'm not sure how else to explain this delineation. There are way too many factors I'm not privy to for me to speak as to why Gamestop would do this. I was merely discussing press kits. I know my icon has a geno hat, but please take a breath and don't assume I have any emotional investment here. I don't think any of this means anything substantial.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I think that was vol. 589 of Sakurai column or somewhere around that time, Sakurai mentioned that he participated as one of judges for Future division of TGS Awards 2019 and was surprised that Ryza was by far the most popular character among all the games won in that division.

FYI, here are the winners of TGS Awards 2019 Future Division.
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Atlus)
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout (Koei Tecmo Games)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Spike Chunsoft)
Death Stranding (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
Dragon Quest XI S: Echose of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition (Square Enix)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix)
New Sakura Wars (Sega Games)
Nioh 2 (Koei Tecmo)
Persona 5 The Royal (Atlus)
Project Resistance (Capcom)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Sega Games)

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
ARMS into Atelier has me falling asleep for the rest of the pass. Not every addition has to be a slam dunk but if they really have nothing more exciting to frontload the pass with then that's worrying.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I hope you understand that this doesn't actually invalidate my original statement
Not at all. I'm just saying Castlevania isn't technically separate from the book. The Castlevania Dracula is clearly different during the events AROUND said book, and neither of them have much in common with the real historical figure.

If it were a Super Mario direct, then we wouldn't even get a Smash reveal.
UNLESS...it was a Mario character. Like Captain Toad, Waluigi, Geno, etc.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Seriously, I don't have the energy anymore to discuss Geno leaks. We do this multiple times a month.
Here, I know just the thing to change the subject from Geno!

*clears throat*
Fire Emblem. Discuss.

You guys can thank me later.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I have a hard time seeing Atelier getting into Smash.

I know the series has been around a while and had a decent amount of games, I don't recall any of the games making any kind of splashes in the industry or ever having a "big" game. Atelier is a series that's never really been spoken about in Smash speculation much if at all before just recently making me think there isn't any real notable fan demand for it, I don't recall Sakurai himself talking about it or expressing interest in the franchise.

I won't say it's impossible, but there's nothing about the series that makes me think "Oh hey, this seems Smash-worthy" or" I could see this getting the series into Smash" or whatever. The Atelier series is a series that just seemingly just kind of exists. Only thing it maybe has is "promotion," but I don't feel like promotion alone would help a smaller third party franchise's chances for Smash.

But maybe the Atelier series is bigger or more special than I realize. *shrug*

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm sorry people. I want Geno, but odd phrasing in a Gamestop video doesn't mean anything.
To answer your question from the other thread, it's possible, but extremely unlikely.

We only just recently learned that we're probably getting a Direct next week, and the most famous of "Insider leaks a DLC character Early" was Banjo for E3, and that was only a week or so ahead of the event. Outside of **** like Erdrick, we rarely get leaks like this an entire MONTH ahead of schedule.

Nintendo pulled out of E3 in very early May, meaning that they had plenty of time to reschedule their plans, and it wasn't like June wasn't decent in content, be it 2 Pokemon Directs and the Smash presentation.

It doesn't make any real sense why Gamestop would have this information over a month ahead of time when pretty much no one else would, and only recently are we hearing murmurs of a Direct.

Until further notice, I'm going with "Poor choice of words." You have to have multiple very dumb people who are very bad at their job to not catch a mistake THAT glaring. This isn't like The Box theory where Nintendo wouldn't acknowledge leaks and just pretend that they didn't exist at all, this is something that would have to be ran by editors and various staff.

tl;dr

If this was filmed a week or so ahead of time? I could believe it, that's within the ballpark for when characters leak. But this video was filmed in June, it literally couldn't have been any other time due to her being in the hospital since the first, which is an entire month before the Direct. Banjo and Terry leaked a week before they were shown off.

....and why would Gamestop be aware of a Direct a month ahead of time anyway? Most places have ZERO idea when a Direct is coming until about a week ahead of time due to insider murmuring or SDKs being uploaded. If the Direct is in July... why would they know about it in June? Sure, it 'could' have been delayed, but Nintendo had all of May to re-route their E3 schedule, and June had content. If anything, it would have been rescheduled in May, not June.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t think Press Kits usually go out super early though. I think like, if a direct is announced they will usually get the press kit right around the announcement so they can prepare articles. I could be wrong I’m not incredibly invested in VG journalism at the moment so this is mostly just speculation.

Shroob

Sup?
I think the thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is:

If we sit back and entertain the idea of "Gamestop knows this because the Direct was delayed!"........ where was the leak?

No offense, but I don't really remember any notable Direct leaks for June. Hell, the reason we're soo confident on the 20th right now is due to a leak. If there was going to be a Direct around June, presumably around when the video was filmed.... if this date, July 20th, leaked, how did that date not?

I honest to god believe that, no, the Direct was not delayed for June. We had 2 Pokemon Directs and a Smash Presentation in June alone, it seems a lot more plausible that they simply saved the Direct for July to spread out their releases.

D

Deleted member

With all this Geno stuff, I'm getting vibes from FP5 where a lot of people thought Dante was going to be in, but we got Byleth instead (who is my most played character atm).

A lot of people are going to expect Geno for FP7, but we end up getting someone else.

Seems like history's repeating itself.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Maybe "press kit" wasn't the most perfect choice of words, but at the same time we do know from insiders on Era that just before the Min Min presentation was announced, kits with Min Min's render and gameplay images were starting to be sent to people to have images ready for the inevitable articles.

Either way, once again too many things just don't line up at all here. A strange slip of the tongue does not a leak make - as some people learned with the Dante fiasco.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
With all this Geno stuff, I'm getting vibes from FP5 where a lot of people thought Dante was going to be in, but we got Byleth instead (who is my most played character atm).

A lot of people are going to expect Geno for FP7, but we end up getting someone else.

Seems like history's repeating itself.
I'll laugh if after all this Crash Bandicoot and Geno talk, we get someone like Parappa the Rapper.

PARAPPA STEPS ON THE GAS

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe "press kit" wasn't the most perfect choice of words, but at the same time we do know from insiders on Era that just before the Min Min presentation was announced, kits with Min Min's render and gameplay images were starting to be sent to people to have images ready for the inevitable articles.

Either way, once again too many things just don't line up at all here. A strange slip of the tongue does not a leak make - as some people learned with the Dante fiasco.
Yeah, I just can't buy that Gamestop would have these renders and such over a MONTH in advance.

A few days or a week? Absolutely.

An entire month?

I just don't buy that "The Direct was supposed to be in June but got delayed!" sthick, because frankly, they had already scheduled **** for June, I don't see how/why this supposed Direct would be delayed while everything else they had on deck went as planned. The logical reasoning is, it was probably just saved for July to not spread themselves too thin.

They pulled out of E3 in EARLY May, they had plenty of time to reschedule everything.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As a Geno fan I would love for it to be real. But as a realist I can tell you I’m not even confident in Geno even making it into Smash let alone believing that a slip of the tongue of a reviewer is a conspiracy that the June Direct was delayed and they got info early and this is just another proverbial domino. I dunno a lot of people going by this slip seems to think that Geno is inevitable and that this is a hint he’s next and I just don’t think that’s a very healthy thought process.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I wondered all the way back and hopped all the way to 4chan for that leak like skipping over ice.

99% not real to me.

Ryza would be pretty cool and I've been wanting the game since it came out. However as much as I love JRPG's outside of a second Xenoblade rep I'm fine.

Final Fantasy Tactics on the Switch though? Makes perfect sense to me. Didn't know I wanted that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, we've gone from nothing but disappointment in the competitive community to a bunch of rumors.

I've heard the Atelier one but what's this new Geno one?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Wow, we've gone from nothing but disappointment in the competitive community to a bunch of rumors.

I've heard the Atelier one but what's this new Geno one?
At 2:07 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsT...TTBYigjIDR2seeFueEvATwl3duLuftF4DXmuKMdpiyOVg the journalist said "there's a reason people where fraking out when Geno was announced for Smash" despite not being announced. Now some people think that a direct was supposed to aired, but was report and that she have insider information so she leak Geno by accident.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I saw this floating around. As stated in the tweet, there's potential for this to be related to an incoming Direct.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i'd be down for atelier despite knowing little to nothing about the franchise because i always enjoy the slightly left-field rarely-considered picks like joker and terry

zferolie

Smash Hero
I have a hard time seeing Atelier getting into Smash.

I know the series has been around a while and had a decent amount of games, I don't recall any of the games making any kind of splashes in the industry or ever having a "big" game. Atelier is a series that's never really been spoken about in Smash speculation much if at all before just recently making me think there isn't any real notable fan demand for it, I don't recall Sakurai himself talking about it or expressing interest in the franchise.

I won't say it's impossible, but there's nothing about the series that makes me think "Oh hey, this seems Smash-worthy" or" I could see this getting the series into Smash" or whatever. The Atelier series is a series that just seemingly just kind of exists. Only thing it maybe has is "promotion," but I don't feel like promotion alone would help a smaller third party franchise's chances for Smash.

But maybe the Atelier series is bigger or more special than I realize. *shrug*
You got to remember, Sakurai outright said that the popularity of the series meant nothing as long as the character was fun to play. He said that in the Terry video. Plus, we have had non popular series put into smash before, though they were first party. Ice Climbers, Kid Icerus, Fire embelem(in the US anyway).

I say anything is possible. If Sakurai wants them in smash, they are getting in smash, thats the only hurdle any game has.

Plus, the last game sold very well, especially on the switch, and a sequal is coming too with the same cast, which is very rare for that series. Plus Gust has been a developer for a long time in japan with many games under their belt.

I am surprised we don't have a Thread for Ryza yet, or Atelier in general. I would think someone would have made that by now.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I saw this floating around. As stated in the tweet, there's potential for this to be related to an incoming Direct.
If I followed The geno thread tinfoil hat movement, it means obviously that it's sora time and he's in smash.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Does anyone know Atelier franchises sales figures? I couldn't find anything, but considering that the franchises have yearly releases for more than 20 years, shouldn't the sales be, at the very least, not too bad for the franchise to continue and not die?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Does anyone know Atelier franchises sales figures? I couldn't find anything, but considering that the franchises have yearly releases for more than 20 years, shouldn't the sales be, at the very least, not too bad for the franchise to continue and not die?
They mention the sales figures of the last game and the perviously highest selling one here.

https://www.siliconera.com/atelier-ryza-2-lost-legends-the-secret-fairy-rated-in-australia/

450k is pretty high for a JRPG that has a very niche following

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
damn, this game really is sneaking up on us. I thought preorders would be a good few months away, not this soon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom