• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No, that was Don-chan. Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, and Assassination Classroom (an anime series) were also in that crossover.

Really wild if you think about it.

There have also been a lot of songs from different franchises in the Taiko no Tatsujin series, including, but not limited to: Undertale, Mario, Kirby, Splatoon, Vocaloid/Hatsune Miku, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Pokémon, Assassination Classroom, The Irregular at Magic High, My Hero Academia, Re:Zero, Madoka Magica, and Evangelion.
Smh you left out the Kamen Rider Build opening
honestly i'm not even a diehard taiko no tatsujin super fan or anything

i just like him because he is a funny little drum man
Most Smash fans: *detailed essay involving personal history that's at least 50 pages about their most wanted characters*
Taiko no Tatsujin fans: "Bang drummy Dadon"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
@tehponycorn im gonna have to be that guy that points out the character is spelled Crono

sorry
I don't know how he wrote it, but if he did write it "Chrono", know that he's actually and technically in the right.
Crono's original Japanese name is Chrono.
What probably happened during the translation process of the game, to not add any pointer to a six's character, since in japanese 5 character you can write more than our Alphabet 5 characters
Sorta why Pokémon for the longest time only allowed 5 letters in their PC names.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Glitch: *Happens*
Smash fans: OH MA GOD IT MUST MEAN A CHARACTER IS BEING USED AS A BASE WHO COULD IT BE????1111!!!!!!!!111!!!1!
The Developers:
buggy.jpg

SharkLord

Smash Hero

This is who the glitch is REALLY about.
It's prayer time
Smh you left out the Kamen Rider Build opening

Most Smash fans: *detailed essay involving personal history that's at least 50 pages about their most wanted characters*
Taiko no Tatsujin fans: "Bang drummy Dadon"
Honestly, this feels like the dynamic between Geno fans and Sakurai. Most people go into great detail about how deserving Geno is, and Sakurai is just, "His hand is a gun." I feel like we could save ourselves about two pages of arguments if we tried to sell him on just stuff like that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Glitch: *Happens*
Smash fans: OH MA GOD IT MUST MEAN A CHARACTER IS BEING USED AS A BASE WHO COULD IT BE????1111!!!!!!!!111!!!1!
The Developers:
View attachment 277369
I don't even see a reason to use an echo fighter as a base. At least semiclones could have different body proportions, stats, and attack properties that the devs could be interested in, but Arle has just as much reason to use Daisy as a base as she does Peach.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Smash fanbase is no stranger to coming up with theories to determine which newcomers may or may not get in.

Now whether the theories are perfectly logical, outlandish yet still credible or sensible to a degree, or just plain wack, that varies.

Shroob

Sup?
The Smash fanbase is no stranger to coming up with theories to determine which newcomers may or may not get in.

Now whether the theories are perfectly logical, outlandish yet still credible or sensible to a degree, or just plain wack, that varies.
Blog theory was still my favorite 'theory' that sprung up from Smash Ult's life.

The creator was soo damn confident that they even got like what, a 30-50 minute Gamexplain interview talking about their theory?

"We'll get a ton more characters because math. We've been getting 3 characters a week, they won't slow down!"

Sakurai, *slows down*

"OH ****"

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Blog theory was still my favorite 'theory' that sprung up from Smash Ult's life.

The creator was soo damn confident that they even got like what, a 30-50 minute Gamexplain interview talking about their theory?

"We'll get a ton more characters because math. We've been getting 3 characters a week, they won't slow down!"

Sakurai, *slows down*

"OH ****"
I don't even remember that one lol.

As for ones I recall well, in hindsight, I...don't even know what to make of the chair theory.

I always thought it was grasping at straws, but other people defended it or at least suggested we should be open-minded about it.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505

Sakurai, *slows down*

"OH ****"
I always did find it weird that Gamexplain did an interview for a fringe theory but barely talked about the grinch leak at all. Was really looking forward to a discussion on it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I always did find it weird that Gamexplain did an interview for a fringe theory but barely talked about the grinch leak at all. Was really looking forward to a discussion on it.
GameXplain has inside sources, and they probably knew Grinch Leak was whore****.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm pretty sure Gamexplain had it on good authority that Grinch was fake. It's not like Ultimate's actual roster hadn't been leaked like crazy and been passed around to anyone who went looking.

Anyone who actually knew what the roster was due to the very open state of Ultimate's roster being leaked instantly discredited Grinch as fake... it's just, you weren't going to win over the hearts and minds of the masses when the Grinch leak was like a dream come true, while what we got was something people had been dreading.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm pretty sure Gamexplain had it on good authority that Grinch was fake. It's not like Ultimate's actual roster hadn't been leaked like crazy and been passed around to anyone who went looking.

Anyone who actually knew what the roster was due to the very open state of Ultimate's roster being leaked instantly discredited Grinch as fake... it's just, you weren't going to win over the hearts and minds of the masses when the Grinch leak was like a dream come true, while what we got was something people had been dreading.
I mean, we DID eventually get Banjo, and Geno is looking pretty good right now.
I don't know if anyone really cares about Mach Rider.
But RIP Chorus Kids, Isaac, and Shadow.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, we DID eventually get Banjo, and Geno is looking pretty good right now.
I don't know if anyone really cares about Mach Rider.
But RIP Chorus Kids, Isaac, and Shadow.
True, but at the time, the big question was, "Why won't Gamexplain cover this?"

It's not like they've never done so in the past, like the ESRB leak of Smash 4, which they very earnestly thought was fake until the video evidence surfaced.

The truth is, they knew it was fake, but talking too much on it was toxic to their career.

"It's fake."

"Yeah, well, how do you know it's fake?"

"...Uhhh."

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
This just reminds me of the person who leaked Smash Ultimate, but nobody believed them. Man, I'm glad it basically went unnoticed.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't even remember that one lol.

As for ones I recall well, in hindsight, I...don't even know what to make of the chair theory.

I always thought it was grasping at straws, but other people defended it or at least suggested we should be open-minded about it.
I heard two things out of Chair Theory, which was it was either hinting at Skull Kid because of his fairies or it was hinting at Waluigi because the chairs shared his main colors of yellow and purple.

The latter always bugged me because those are WARIO's colors, Waluigi is more associated with purple and black/dark purple. As someone who defended the possibility of Ridley being a potential bait-and-switch secret final character and the boss thing was a red herring back during Smash 4, I found the Waluigi discourse between E3 2018 and the release of the game to be kind of sad, especially with people seriously arguing that they didn't explicitly say Waluigi was an AT during the E3 presentation or trying to contrive some other way Waluigi could make it in the base game despite all evidence to the contrary.

I dunno, the chairs were dumb and I only ever assumed it was an elaborate joke.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I heard two things out of Chair Theory, which was it was either hinting at Skull Kid because of his fairies or it was hinting at Waluigi because the chairs shared his main colors of yellow and purple.

The latter always bugged me because those are WARIO's colors, Waluigi is more associated with purple and black/dark purple. As someone who defended the possibility of Ridley being a potential bait-and-switch secret final character and the boss thing was a red herring back during Smash 4, I found the Waluigi discourse between E3 2018 and the release of the game to be kind of sad, especially with people seriously arguing that they didn't explicitly say Waluigi was an AT during the E3 presentation or trying to contrive some other way Waluigi could make it in the base game despite all evidence to the contrary.

My theory is that those just happened to be the color of the chairs that were in Sakurai's office.

Shroob

Sup?

Didn't people go into some deep metadata in the Direct and think that because like, one scene had slightly altered audio or graphic settings, that somehow meant that was a cover up to hide Waluigi as actually being playable?

The denial this fanbase can put themselves in makes the one in Egypt blush.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Has another fighting game ever had this much bizarre theories about playable characters from it's fanbase?

Shroob

Sup?
Has another fighting game ever had this much bizarre theories about playable characters from it's fanbase?
Closest I can think of is Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter in the early 90's, and those were just due to arcade rumors or poor translations, like ERMAC for MK or Shenlong for SF respectively.

Shroob

Sup?
I miss the days when Smash's biggest problem was just smelly people.
Even without the current events, the FGC at large would still hate us due to the obsessive cults built around characters getting into the game and "it's a party game, not a fighting game." :239:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For not taking baths, for having a pedo ring scandal, or because Smash doesn't play like a fighting game?
Don't forget debates on whether or not quarter circle inputs are too hard and unnecessary.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Even without the current events, the FGC at large would still hate us due to the obsessive cults built around characters getting into the game and "it's a party game, not a fighting game." :239:
Smash Ultimate: *Is best selling fighting game of all time.*
"fighting game"
FGC:
thanos impossible.jpg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nah I'm pretty sure GG fans hate Smash fans for whining that a disaster ended up delaying GG which ended up making Melee 5 minutes late and that DOA fans hate Smash fans for trashing their booth for more Smash despite the booth being reserved for DOA and fighting game fans in general hating Smash fans for throwing a fit because EVO wouldn't give Smash 2 slots

Shroob

Sup?
Nah I'm pretty sure GG fans hate Smash fans for whining that a disaster ended up delaying GG which ended up making Melee 5 minutes late and that DOA fans hate Smash fans for trashing their booth for more Smash despite the booth being reserved for DOA and fighting game fans in general hating Smash fans for throwing a fit because EVO wouldn't give Smash 2 slots
But we already knew that Smash fans were entitled babies, this is old news.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't know how he wrote it, but if he did write it "Chrono", know that he's actually and technically in the right.
Crono's original Japanese name is Chrono.
What probably happened during the translation process of the game, to not add any pointer to a six's character, since in japanese 5 character you can write more than our Alphabet 5 characters
Sorta why Pokémon for the longest time only allowed 5 letters in their PC names.
yeah but he still ain't chrono here

might as well write クロノ lol

marvel vs capcom a few times since it has a similar premise (crossover fighting game of iconic IPs/character) but people do deep dives into sakurai's psyche

I don't think any other video game series really has a "speculation scene" like this though

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
yeah but he still ain't chrono here

might as well write クロノ lol
It doesn't really matter if he's called Crono or Chrono..I mean, both are correct names for him, like Aerith & Aeris or Artoria & Altria or Eggman & Robotnik..

StormC

Smash Hero
It doesn't really matter if he's called Crono or Chrono..I mean, both are correct names for him, like Aerith & Aeris or Artoria & Altria or Eggman & Robotnik..
I know it doesn't matter, I am being a cheeky git because I have to be correct about everything on the internet.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The amount of people generalizing the Smash community or giving up faith on the community is kind of astounding to me. Not that was has transpired isn't awful, but it involved, what, a handful of people out of god knows how many Smash fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom