• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
ok but the tweet tho? has anyone seen that "name" before? it's not related to the minecraft thing.
HotGirlVideos69? It's the best leaker name since ESRB Leak's Mother****ing Leaker.

But she has been right about stuff in the past iirc. Still, grain of salt and all that. I've no idea who the guy is who just reposted her claim. Seems like a speculator.

Faso115

Smash Lord
From my experience, twitter leaks tend to half right and then proven false.

Whatever happened to that guy that "totally" got Byleth and called Crash bandicoot as FP6?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
ok but the tweet tho? has anyone seen that "name" before? it's not related to the minecraft thing.
I've seen them 'round these parts a few times.

Well, not 'round here specifically, but this ain't the first time I've seen 'em mentioned. Though the tweet mentioned in the one you linked is news to me.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I find it highly unlikely that this supposed Minecraft jingle leak would have passed under the radar for almost 2 years.

Anyway, since the possibility of a July Direct has been brought up, i feel that i should mention this Twitter users here:
For context, they're responding to jeff grubb, an insider who knew about the march mini direct and who's has been keeping up a list of all the gaming events part of Geoff's Summer Game fest.

Now, the reason why this new "twitter insider" has been brought to attention is that he apparently also knew about the march direct, as seen in this tweet

I personally don't think we're getting a Direct this soon considering what Nintendo executives have said in the most recent meeting with their shareholders and this could very well be another "loz18" situation where this person just happened to have one piece of information in the past but now they're just messing around for clout, so let's approach this one with caution.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo's statement doesn't mean they're instantly done with Directs. They were going to have one last month.

It was an ambiguous insinuation that basically implied they're potentially, eventually going to diversify the way they present things. It hardly invalidates any claims that a Direct may come. Especially because they also called Directs "incredibly effective".

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Especially because they also called Directs "incredibly effective".
Directs get people hyped for the things they usually skip or otherwise don't pay attention to; advertisements. Nintendo's got the format on lock, the way they do it is perfect.

D

Deleted member

Looks like those July Direct rumors were true, we are indeed getting a Direct this month:

devolverdirect.png

(also yeah I'm pretty excited to see what Devolver has in store for this year #Jacket4Smash)

I.D.

Smash Lord
I find it highly unlikely that this supposed Minecraft jingle leak would have passed under the radar for almost 2 years.

Anyway, since the possibility of a July Direct has been brought up, i feel that i should mention this Twitter users here:
For context, they're responding to jeff grubb, an insider who knew about the march mini direct and who's has been keeping up a list of all the gaming events part of Geoff's Summer Game fest.

Now, the reason why this new "twitter insider" has been brought to attention is that he apparently also knew about the march direct, as seen in this tweet

I personally don't think we're getting a Direct this soon considering what Nintendo executives have said in the most recent meeting with their shareholders and this could very well be another "loz18" situation where this person just happened to have one piece of information in the past but now they're just messing around for clout, so let's approach this one with caution.
The guy straight up knew it was a minidirect and supported Jeff Grubb during a time when almost everyone thought he was full of **** so unless he's joking around there might be a direct in July.

I also remember all of this happening in real time so there are no twitter tricks involved. The guy definitely knew a mini direct would happen on March 26.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know who really need representation in smash? Layton

you know who has 100% zero representation in smash? Layton

come on Sakurai
>When you've been waiting over a year and a half just for the band aid to ripped off wether or not Level-5 is even getting a spirit event or Mii costume, let alone a playable character.
>Many Japanese, Western and even indie third parties came and went ever since.
>Still tumbleweed.

Being a Level-5 bro is filled with pain, suffering and a looong wait, Just like Level-5's own games, so I guess this is nothing new for us...:4villagerf:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
saw this on discord, can anyone back this up?:

and has anyone heard of the "leaker" in the images in this tweet? linking instead of embedding due to the "leaker"'s questionable username: https://twitter.com/OnTheDownLoTho/status/1274105486258864131
Yeah, not really buying it. Galaga Medley, again? Out of all the ~1000 songs in SSBU, they screw up with Galaga Medley, for a second time? That's way too contrived, I tell you. The "leaked" song sounds like a shoddy MIDI remix, just slapped together. It may be a placeholder, sure, but it's just too contrived.
Ah well, at least we got something new to talk about, right?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
people be talking about july directs for smash

i just want more no more heroes 3 footage

Faso115

Smash Lord
i just want to see what's cooking at EVO

It would be a good place for a reveal but Nintendo sucks at internet and online so *shrug*

ZelDan

Smash Master
people be talking about july directs for smash

i just want more no more heroes 3 footage
NMH3 footage would be great.

Speaking of third installments from great video game franchises coming to Switch we seriously need hear/see more about:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In terms of Echo Fighter characters that would essentially be "this other character's moveset from an older game brought back", the one that comes to mind for me would be Flygon as a Charizard Echo Fighter, with the Pokemon Change Down Special instead being Rock Smash and the whole character essentially functioning as solo-Charizard from Smash 4 (including reusing a couple of Charizard's custom moves from that game).
I meant echoes who had the same proportions specifically, but to be frank, there's nothing wrong with pasting an old moveset on someone else as long as they aren't trying to outright remove the character who is using the current moveset. It's why I think Black Shadow being an Echo of Ganondorf is neat, but I wouldn't give Ganondorf an entirely different moveset to justify it. That's where I feel it's trying too hard to care more about functions than how a character works. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I'd honestly love Charizard Y or X to take the Smash 4 Charizard moveset. With Gigantimax as the Final Smash instead. It fits better than X turning into Y or vice versa, too.

StormC

Smash Hero
It would be nice to get a new character revealed as soon as this month. Probably no gameplay though, just a teaser like Terry. The only Fighters Pass characters to get gameplay revealed in the initial trailer were Hero and Banjo at E3.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It would be nice to get a new character revealed as soon as this month. Probably no gameplay though, just a teaser like Terry. The only Fighters Pass characters to get gameplay revealed in the initial trailer were Hero and Banjo at E3.
Actually I think there's a good chance we might see gameplay with the character reveal trailer as well. IIRC Sakurai said they work on the fighters in packs of 2/3 at a time. They surely haven't been only working on Min Min alone all these months, especially since she was finished a month before they properly released her. They probably were working on Fighter 7 alongside Min Min so there's a good chance we might see some spicy gameplay as well.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I meant echoes who had the same proportions specifically, but to be frank, there's nothing wrong with pasting an old moveset on someone else as long as they aren't trying to outright remove the character who is using the current moveset. It's why I think Black Shadow being an Echo of Ganondorf is neat, but I wouldn't give Ganondorf an entirely different moveset to justify it. That's where I feel it's trying too hard to care more about functions than how a character works. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I'd honestly love Charizard Y or X to take the Smash 4 Charizard moveset. With Gigantimax as the Final Smash instead. It fits better than X turning into Y or vice versa, too.
I brought up Flygon because it has similar enough proportions that you could give it Charizard's moveset without it looking awkward. Plus, in the actual Pokemon games, it can learn some of the same moves as Charizard (Flamethrower, Rock Smash, and Fly), or at least some different moves that could still serve a similar purpose in a Smash moveset (Flygon can't learn Flare Blitz, but it can learn Dragon Rush, which was one of Charizard's custom specials in Smash 4).

Also, hard disagree on Charizard X and Y. If we're getting more Echo Fighters, I'd rather they be different characters, not "same character, just a different version". The last thing Smash needs right now is to make the same mistakes as Mario Kart.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
"It'd be nice if we got a teaser for the next character."

*Nintendo teases SwSh Pokemon.

"Nintendo can never listen, can they?"
arms guess who trailer but it's a spreadsheet of every gen 8 pokemon instead

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
The guy straight up knew it was a minidirect and supported Jeff Grubb during a time when almost everyone thought he was full of **** so unless he's joking around there might be a direct in July.

I also remember all of this happening in real time so there are no twitter tricks involved. The guy definitely knew a mini direct would happen on March 26.
Hoping Grubb can back him up then, if one is indeed happening in July.

Though if one is happening in July, I am not sure if we will get a Smash reveal. Because you would think they would have revealed the next character along side Min Min if that were the case.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
inevitable disappointment.png

me readin all the posts that imply a direct this month

I.D.

Smash Lord
Hoping Grubb can back him up then, if one is indeed happening in July.

Though if one is happening in July, I am not sure if we will get a Smash reveal. Because you would think they would have revealed the next character along side Min Min if that were the case.
They have never revealed a character in another character's presentation. The closest thing has been announcing 6 more fighters in Byleth's presentation.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I brought up Flygon because it has similar enough proportions that you could give it Charizard's moveset without it looking awkward. Plus, in the actual Pokemon games, it can learn some of the same moves as Charizard (Flamethrower, Rock Smash, and Fly), or at least some different moves that could still serve a similar purpose in a Smash moveset (Flygon can't learn Flare Blitz, but it can learn Dragon Rush, which was one of Charizard's custom specials in Smash 4).

Also, hard disagree on Charizard X and Y. If we're getting more Echo Fighters, I'd rather they be different characters, not "same character, just a different version". The last thing Smash needs right now is to make the same mistakes as Mario Kart.
Honestly, it's why I like Mario Kart more than ever. It's just fun quick gameplay clones and that's it. It's the lack of some classic veterans that's an issue, not that it has some easy extras. I was just happy to see more Metal characters at this point, since they're a lot more interesting than the random Babies. At least the Metal Cap is a proper power-up and they were able to make Metal Mario overall a different personality, separating him a lot better than the rest of the Mario clones. Baby Mario is just from a different part in time, but that's it. He's still Mario himself. Metal Mario however got his own characterization, and even his own clone(Gold Mario). It also helps Mario Kart making clones is super easy compared to Smash requiring a huge moveset to work with, so it makes sense why it has a ton of them. Again, the lack of veterans at the same time is what's aggravating. They can add multiple clones, but it doesn't really do anything bad unless they didn't bother to work on the usual veterans/other notable characters that they could've. Since Mario Kart also doesn't have a unique gameplay mechanic per character generally like Smash does, it's not nearly as hard to make a full character in it. It just takes longer than any basic character clone since reusing assets isn't nearly as much as an option.

Looking at Flygon, I'm not sure it has the actual same proportions, just similar enough for a regular clone(like Young Link is to Toon Link nowadays, or Falco to Fox). Albeit, the only Pokemon echo I outright would've liked to see is a Trainer one, but it'd have to use Charizard X or Y to make sense. Then otherwise it's Bulbasaur and Wartortle, who are massively similar to Ivysaur and Squirtle respectively(to the point that the only difference is practically tiny bits and pieces on the hand). Effectively as different as Ridley and Meta Ridley, really. Maybe slightly more?

Nonetheless, I feel it's a good way to handle it. Pokemon is kind of awkward where there's few who work as a proper echo due to actual different bodyshapes. In some cases, the first and second form of a Starter are almost identical with mostly small details where it can work out. Not too many share this. It always felt like the middle forms were very often... not much of a transition. Gen 1 and Gen 2 suffered from that. It did improve in later regions, though.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I don't it would make me too much of a daring maverick to say that I predict that at least 3 of the FP2 characters will be Nintendo ones(including Min Min obviously) so I expect two more...but from where is the question.

Also thinking about in hindsight Springman was essentially the Liu Kang to Min Min's Scorpion. Guess the writing was on the wall there.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, about the possible Direct thing, when do you guys and gals think this hypothetical Direct could be announced? Next Monday? The following Monday? Or maybe not at all, depending on the person responding to this?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The original plan was probably to reveal both Min Min and FP7 at E3. But they made the decision to reveal and release the ARMS character in June while keeping the rest up in the air due to current circumstances, and then at some point everything else that was planned to be shown was pushed back to a later date, FP7 included.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So, about the possible Direct thing, when do you guys and gals think this hypothetical Direct could be announced? Next Monday? The following Monday? Or maybe not at all, depending on the person responding to this?
If it happens at all, let alone in July, it'll probably be after Origami King's release.

And you know...I'm kind of against revealing all the characters in advance, but I do kinda wish Nintendo would at least reveal their release windows.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If it happens at all, let alone in July, it'll probably be after Origami King's release.
I was thinking next Monday would be possible, since I heard Nintendo Directs are usually announced on the second week of the month they are in, but this works too.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
You know who really need representation in smash? Layton

you know who has 100% zero representation in smash? Layton

come on Sakurai
It's not just Layton, it's Level 5 in general outside of Eight (who is owned by SQEX).

It's actually super suspicious there is zero Level 5 content in Ult. They were pretty reliable partners of Nintendo for a good few years, with Reggie and Bill straight up making a Yokai Watch commercial for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom