• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, if there is a Direct this month, why wouldn't we get a character reveal?

People do realize that if the end date is still going to be Dec 2021, that gives us a meager 18 months, and we're probably not getting anything this month, so we can probably cut that down to 17. While that's plenty of time yes, that's also assuming we get a character roughly 3-4 months between one another. Considering we're probably not going to get any double releases, or back-to-back releases, it seems more than logical to assume that going forward, every character will come out roughly 3-4 months apart.

If there IS a direct this month, which I doubt, we probably won't get another one until November/December, and no, I don't think that in that time we'd get another shadow drop ala Joker. We knew Joker was coming out beforehand, which built up hype. We'd have NO clue who this character is if they just dropped it on us with no warning. Even the ARMs reveal, while a whole 3-4 months out from the actual character, at least told us the series.

If we do get a Direct, there's going to be a character reveal. We're not getting them this month obviously, but a release date slated for sometime in Fall ala Banjo? Absolutely.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Also, hard disagree on Charizard X and Y. If we're getting more Echo Fighters, I'd rather they be different characters, not "same character, just a different version". The last thing Smash needs right now is to make the same mistakes as Mario Kart.
Normally, I'd agree but...

Pokemon Trainer is trash, boy! I want my solo Charizard back!

How long has SFV’s DLC been running? Just curious
We're on season 5. That's 6 characters a year(only 5 this year) for 5 years. That's 29 DLC characters total.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Remember the guy who made predictions based on math. This time he's on who is deconfirmed.

If you have to consider ARMS a shooter and partially gender a character based on their weaponry to make your math work, it's bad math.

What, Marth is a guy but also not a guy because of his genderless sword? Makes no sense.

That's where I tapped out.

D

Deleted member

Remember the guy who made predictions based on math. This time he's on who is deconfirmed.

>Uses a Bingo Card to determine who isn't in

This feels so reminiscent of Ornl's Google Trend stats and console graphs to determine who will or won't be in Vol 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If you have to consider ARMS a shooter and partially gender a character based on their weaponry to make your math work, it's bad math.

What, Marth is a guy but also not a guy because of his genderless sword? Makes no sense.

That's where I tapped out.
While the gender parts is nonsense (and the whole premise of this show is), ARMS was originally advertised as “long range like a shooter, but with your arms!” Which turned me off to the series. Not sure if they kept that marketing gimmick, but haven’t heard many mention that lately.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
While the gender parts is nonsense (and the whole premise of this show is), ARMS was originally advertised as “long range like a shooter, but with your arms!” Which turned me off to the series. Not sure if they kept that marketing gimmick, but haven’t heard many mention that lately.
I don't recall them pushing the game as such, but I'm glad they stopped, because while I understand what people mean when they compare it to a shooter, there are much more accurate descriptions out there.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You can’t math who’s going to be in anyways. Sakurai isn’t an equation.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
But NSG, if I write a thesis about who I think is most likely, then that means they're guaranteed! Why else would I put in all that effort?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't recall them pushing the game as such, but I'm glad they stopped, because while I understand what people mean when they compare it to a shooter, there are much more accurate descriptions out there.
I guess I'm recalling back mainly to the first reveal (24:40), where he described it as "It's like boxing, where you hit your opponent with punches, but it's also like shooting, where you aim and fire at distant opponents," but I also recall hearing that pop up again, and again around that time. That and emphasis on "extendable arms" instantly turned me off to the series, felt cookie cutter and generic, though I've obviously warmed up more to it and became less cynical towards it despite the game not being my cup of tea thanks to fans being less obnoxious than the initial marketing push.

EDIT:
But Sakurai taught me to count in binary on my hand. The man is the embodiment of an equation, an enigma.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
>Uses a Bingo Card to determine who isn't in

This feels so reminiscent of Ornl's Google Trend stats and console graphs to determine who will or won't be in Vol 1.
At least in this case, I'm 99% sure that the videos in this series are satire/joking.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Going through Nintendo's Twitter has lead me to one conclusion: They have to announce something BIG soon. I follow the post notifications on Twitter and I've noticed they've been highlighting either the most popular Nintendo titles on Switch or some lesser known 3rd-parties to Nintendo people. The big 3rd parties in their recent feed are Square Enix, Minecraft, and Falcom.
The first tweet from is Square Enix announcing a demo for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition. This game has been known about for months. The second tweet is a brand new project we've only just heard about for Kingdom Hearts. It was leaked a couple days earlier when people went through the files of KHIII and found the logo.
These are the Tweets for Minecraft Dungeons. Again, stuff already known about.
Falcom is a name that many Nintendo fans probably aren't familiar with. They are a Japanese dev that historically focused on Playstation and PC games in Japan, not releasing internationally until the 2010's. Now they are putting a ton of games on the Switch suddenly from their two most prominent series in Trails and Ys. Trails of Cold Steel III we already knew about. Ys IX is genuinely new and, from what I can tell, was not leaked ahead of time.

That's it for major 3rd party announcements in the past few weeks in Nintendo's feed.There is other stuff on there talking about projects we already were aware of, but the fact that I can only find references to games that were: A. already out B. already known about or C. New, but from a smaller company in their recent feed (with the exception of KH MoM and Ys IX) indicates something much larger is going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I enjoy making up bull**** math with dumb consequences more than most, but... Arms being a fighter+shooter? That's a stretch, he could have just approximated the fighter genre to one slot and gotten the same result. Plus, shouldn't Min Min's gender of part woman part machine (which is also a huge stretch) have eliminated other ARMS ladies, given they're also part machine (to those standards)?

And the ambiguous category... Well that should have been treated much better (or not differentiated at all), plus it's not like Birdo's the only character who fits that criteria anyway.

I get the feeling that the dude doesn't actually take the math seriously and it'll be fun to watch how he tries to spin it if one of the rules he came up with ends up breaking.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
And we have a year to go.

Imagine if then Sakurai is packing things up only for Nintendo to go "Sike, go makes us DLC pack 3"
I can see Nintendo doing this if the DLC sell extremely well, and if Covid19 is still affecting things in the industry.

Making DLC seem like an easier way to make money during this time than developing a full blown, brand new Smash game.

Or I could just be entirely wrong lol.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Going through Nintendo's Twitter has lead me to one conclusion: They have to announce something BIG soon. I follow the post notifications on Twitter and I've noticed they've been highlighting either the most popular Nintendo titles on Switch or some lesser known 3rd-parties to Nintendo people. The big 3rd parties in their recent feed are Square Enix, Minecraft, and Falcom.
The first tweet from is Square Enix announcing a demo for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition. This game has been known about for months. The second tweet is a brand new project we've only just heard about for Kingdom Hearts. It was leaked a couple days earlier when people went through the files of KHIII and found the logo.
These are the Tweets for Minecraft Dungeons. Again, stuff already known about.
Falcom is a name that many Nintendo fans probably aren't familiar with. They are a Japanese dev that historically focused on Playstation and PC games in Japan, not releasing internationally until the 2010's. Now they are putting a ton of games on the Switch suddenly from their two most prominent series in Trails and Ys. Trails of Cold Steel III we already knew about. Ys IX is genuinely new and, from what I can tell, was not leaked ahead of time.

That's it for major 3rd party announcements in the past few weeks in Nintendo's feed.There is other stuff on there talking about projects we already were aware of, but the fact that I can only find references to games that were: A. already out B. already known about or C. New, but from a smaller company in their recent feed (with the exception of KH MoM and Ys IX) indicates something much larger is going on behind the scenes.
Those just seem like perfectly normal tweets that don't indicate nothing special.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If it happens at all, let alone in July, it'll probably be after Origami King's release.

And you know...I'm kind of against revealing all the characters in advance, but I do kinda wish Nintendo would at least reveal their release windows.
Microsoft’s big event is apparently on the 23rd, so I don’t think Nintendo will have a Direct that week. Paper Mario could use some more promotion & a Direct would help a lot.

If we’re getting a Direct this month then we’re 100% getting some Smash news, even if it’s another Guess Who game.

Faso115

Smash Lord
If it's another guess who then it will be definitely be a Pokemon because i struggle to think any other franchise where they can pull that BS again.

ARMS had a roster, everyone had the same shot so you could speculate endlessly about them.

Pokemon has an even bigger roster, they could even be bigger dikheads and say it could be from any generation just to screw with speculation because why the f not

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Those just seem like perfectly normal tweets that don't indicate nothing special.
The rest of their feed is recycling content. The one new 1st party thing is Min Min. Nothing else is known about past Paper Mario. Their feed is the same few games over and over again. These are the only big 3rd party announcements on the feed.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
If it's another guess who then it will be definitely be a Pokemon because i struggle to think any other franchise where they can pull that BS again.

ARMS had a roster, everyone had the same shot so you could speculate endlessly about them.

Pokemon has an even bigger roster, they could even be bigger dikheads and say it could be from any generation just to screw with speculation because why the f not
I don't really think Nintendo cares as much about the speculation scene as you're implying they do. 99% sure that the only reason we had the arms thing happen was because they wanted didn't want to leave us hanging for 6 months with 0 info on fighters pass 2.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I haven't seen the video, but based on the concept and what you guys have been saying, it sounds like an ultra spicy hot take that shouldn't be touched with a 39-and-a-half foot pole
Actually, he is an equation; Specifically, the absolute last digit of pi.

Oh god, what if we were saddled with a League of Legends guessing game, with all 148 characters and then some? Rage at Tencent aside, that would be absolutely brutal. Bonus points if it's the last fighter of the pass but we have to wait starting from the second announcement. Just sit back and watch the entire fandom go up in flames.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I decided to look at the list of best-selling video game franchises to see which major Japanese franchises were missing from Smash Ultimate. I used sub-20 million in sales as my cut-off point and marked series with playable characters as green, series in Smash without playable characters as yellow, and series not in Smash as red. Here's what I found:
  • Mario
  • Pokemon
  • Wii (Depends how you count the Miis)
  • Final Fantasy
  • Mario Kart
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Wii Sports (Once again, depends how you count the Miis)
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Resident Evil
  • Dragon Quest
  • Monster Hunter
  • Super Smash Bros (Say it with Mii now)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Metal Gear
  • Dragon Ball (Not happening for obvious reasons, but it still technically meets the criteria)
  • Mario Party
  • Tekken
  • Street Fighter
  • Wii Fit
  • Game & Watch
  • Pac-Man
  • Mario Sports
  • Kirby
  • Mega Man
  • Animal Crossing
  • Brain Age
  • Gundam (Not happening for obvious reasons, but it still technically meets the criteria)
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Nintendogs
  • Souls
  • Mario & Sonic (There are no references to these games in particular, but both Mario and Sonic are in the game...)
  • Power Pros
  • Devil May Cry
  • Yu-Gi-Oh (Not happening for obvious reasons, but it still technically meets the criteria)
  • Castlevania
  • Frogger
  • Simple
  • Tales
I'm gonna be honest, these results actually kind of surprised me. I didn't expect this many entries in the list are featured in Smash. Not only that, but it's mostly the relatively smaller series that currently have no representation in Smash Ultimate. I mean, cutting out the ineligible Dragon Ball and Gundam, you have to go through the 25 largest franchises on the list before you reach Kingdom Hearts, the biggest Japanese franchise to be completely absent from Smash.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I decided to look at the list of best-selling video game franchises to see which major Japanese franchises were missing from Smash Ultimate. I used sub-20 million in sales as my cut-off point and marked series with playable characters as green, series in Smash without playable characters as yellow, and series not in Smash as red. Here's what I found:
  • Mario
  • Pokemon
  • Final Fantasy
  • Mario Kart
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Resident Evil
  • Dragon Quest
  • Monster Hunter
  • Donkey Kong
  • Metal Gear
  • Dragon Ball (Not happening for obvious reasons, but it still technically meets the criteria)
  • Mario Party
  • Tekken
  • Street Fighter
  • Wii Fit
  • Game & Watch
  • Pac-Man
  • Mario Sports
  • Kirby
  • Mega Man
  • Animal Crossing
  • Brain Age
  • Gundam (Not happening for obvious reasons, but it still technically meets the criteria)
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Nintendogs
  • Souls
  • Mario & Sonic (There are no references to these games in particular, but both Mario and Sonic are in the game...)
  • Power Pros
  • Devil May Cry
  • Yu-Gi-Oh (Not happening for obvious reasons, but it still technically meets the criteria)
  • Castlevania
  • Frogger
  • Simple
  • Tales
I'm gonna be honest, these results actually kind of surprised me. I didn't expect this many entries in the list are featured in Smash. Not only that, but it's mostly the relatively smaller series that currently have no representation in Smash Ultimate. I mean, cutting out the ineligible Dragon Ball and Gundam, you have to go through the 25 largest franchises on the list before you reach Kingdom Hearts, the biggest Japanese franchise to be completely absent from Smash.
Uhhh, what's simple supposed to be?

Interesting data though. Kind of surprised Tales of is there. I know the series has been around a long time and has had a good number of games, I just never realized they sold that well (or some of them did anyways)

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
  • Mario
  • Pokemon
  • Final Fantasy
  • Mario Kart
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Resident Evil
  • Dragon Quest
  • Monster Hunter
  • Donkey Kong
  • Metal Gear
  • Mario Party
  • Tekken
  • Street Fighter
  • Wii Fit
  • Game & Watch
  • Pac-Man
  • Mario Sports
  • Kirby
  • Mega Man
  • Animal Crossing
  • Brain Age
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Nintendogs
  • Souls
  • Power Pros
  • Devil May Cry
  • Castlevania
  • Frogger
  • Simple
  • Tales
Kingdom hearts, souls, devil may cry and tales? Huh go figure, I love all of those.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  • Mario
  • Pokemon
  • Final Fantasy
  • Mario Kart
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Resident Evil
  • Dragon Quest
  • Monster Hunter
  • Donkey Kong
  • Metal Gear
  • Mario Party
  • Tekken
  • Street Fighter
  • Wii Fit
  • Game & Watch
  • Pac-Man
  • Mario Sports
  • Kirby
  • Mega Man
  • Animal Crossing
  • Brain Age
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Nintendogs
  • Souls
  • Power Pros
  • Devil May Cry
  • Castlevania
  • Frogger
  • Simple
  • Tales
I was actually expecting Sakura Wars to be on here, weirdly enough.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was actually expecting Sakura Wars to be on here, weirdly enough.
That series has only sold 4.5 million total. Wikipedia's list stops at 5 million, so it wouldn't even be there.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
No, I don't know why I was banned in the first place.
I once had my account hijacked way back yonder and had to PM a Mod for an password fix to get it back.
For safety's sake I think the best move is to get in contact with one to go see what was up.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Uhhh, what's simple supposed to be?

Interesting data though. Kind of surprised Tales of is there. I know the series has been around a long time and has had a good number of games, I just never realized they sold that well (or some of them did anyways)
I actually hadn't heard of it until now myself, but it's essentially a group of budget games published by D3 Publisher that basically encompass every genre under the sun. Most seem to be generic sports/table games, but there's a few licensed games thrown in there as well. The only games I have heard of on the Wikipedia's list were from the Densha de Go series, and I only know about that because of Joel from Vinesauce.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would personally count Simple as a formal series. Based on my limited research, it seems more like a label similar to New Play Control or Player's Choice. However, Wikipedia had it on their list, so I figured I'd include it anyway.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only games I have heard of on the Wikipedia's list were from the Densha de Go series, and I only know about that because of Joel from Vinesauce.
I'd figure Earth Defense Force would be more recognizable.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

If you removed first party IPs and franchises that are not born in video-games (like Dragon Ball or Gundam), you get (in bold are those that has Smash representation, of any type):

1) Final Fantasy
2) Sonic the Hedgehog
3) Resident Evil
4) Dragon Quest
5) Monster Hunter
6) Metal Gear
7) Tekken
8) Street Fighter
9) Pac-Man
10) Mega Man

11) Kingdom Hearts
12) Souls
13) Power Pros
14) Devil May Cry
15) Castlevania
16) Frogger
17) Simple
18) Tales
19) Megami Tensei (includes Persona)
20) Professor Layton

Its great that the top 10 best selling Japanese IPs are in Smash, and 7 of them with playable fighters. Its interesting to note that in the first 3 games (Brawl, 4 and 4 DLC) they go for the biggest names (Sonic and Snake in Brawl, Megaman and Pacman in 4, Ryu and Cloud in 4 DLC), then in Ultimate they decided to start exploring IPs that are a bit less successful in sales (although in base game we got Monster Hunter, as an AT sure but I think that was an internal decision with thinking about the best way to represent that IP, if they want, they could have add MH as a fighter). I hope that in this FP2 they will concentrate in top 11-20 with more representation like Kingdom Hearts (that is likely it will get in top 10 very soon) and Devil May Cry. I think that Dark Souls can work as a boss just like Monster Hunter, rather than a fighter.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In terms of Sega IPs

Football Manager, Total Wars, and Puyo Puyo should be high in that list
The first two aren't on there because they're developed by British teams. Not sure why Puyo Puyo isn't there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom