• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we're doing codenames. Most of these are easy, knowing me I guess.

Hunter
Lightning
Beret
Braid
Tundra
Dragon

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we're doing codenames. Most of these are easy, knowing me I guess.

Hunter
Lightning
Beret
Braid
Tundra
Dragon
Rate how wrong I am:
- Monster Hunter
- Raiden
- Jill Valentine
- Lara Croft
- A Pokemon from Sword and Shield
- Kazuma Kiryu

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Lets play a game simple game, lets think of a "generation theory", where they decided to include a character from each generation of consoles, you can view these in two ways:

Option 1:
1) Gen 8: WiiU, N3DS, Switch, PS4, XOne, PSVita (Min Min)
2) Gen 7: Wii, NDS, PS3, X360, PSP
3) Gen 6: NGC, PS2, Xbox, GBA, DC
4) Gen 5: N64, PS1, Saturn, GB/C (1996-2001)
5) Gen 4: SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Neo-Geo, GB (1989-1995)
6) Gen 3: NES, Master System, NEC

Option 2:
1) Gen 9: Switch (Min Min)
2) Gen 8: WiiU, N3DS, PS4, XOne, PSVita
3) Gen 7: Wii, NDS, PS3, X360, PSP
4) Gen 6: NGC, PS2, Xbox, GBA, DC
5) Gen 5: N64, PS1, Saturn, GB/C (1996-2001)
6) Gen 4/3: NES, Master System, NEC, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Neo-Geo, GB (1989-1995)

PC and Arcades can be from any era.

My take (Option 1)

1) Gen 8: Min Min
2) Gen 7: Chorus Kids
3) Gen 6: Sora
4) Gen 5: Crash Bandicoot
5) Gen 4: Doom Slayer
6) Gen 3: Ryu Hayabusa

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
In regards to your most wanted character, what kind of "cute detail" would you want for them? Like, a reference to their home games in a way that doesn't necessarily affect gameplay much (or at all). A good example of this is Joker's victory screens being just like in Persona 5, with him doing victory laps around the area, and his All Out Attack finishing screen too.

For me, I'd want Sora's HUD icon render to change expressions during battle like it does in the original Kingdom Hearts games when he gets hit or is low on health, just in the Smash render art style instead of the hand drawn styles seen in KHI, KHII, and KH3D.

Like...
https://www.khwiki.com/images/7/7b/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_1.png Normal
https://www.khwiki.com/images/a/a3/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_2.png Taking damage
https://www.khwiki.com/images/2/28/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_3.png At 100% damage or low Stamina
For Mega Man X, I would hope his intro animation has the "X" Explosion from the PS1 and GBC games. Also, both his Dash(and potential Air Dash) AND his Dodge animations would have the after images. Also, instead of wall clinging, he'd slowly slide down the walls. I don't know if typical Mega Man X style wall jumping is too busted for Smash, cause if not, that too.

Dash MMX4.png

READY MMX.gif

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think I'm the only person here who expects this pass to be majority third party again. About 2:4 ratio. No real reason, just a prediction.

Lets play a game simple game, lets think of a "generation theory", where they decided to include a character from each generation of consoles:

My take

Gen 8 is going to be tough since I don't really care about new characters

Gen 8: Yooka Laylee (Yooka Laylee)
Gen 7: Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Gen 6: Sgt. Cortez (TimeSplitters)
Gen 5: Klonoa (Klonoa)
Gen 4: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Gen 3: Simea (Crystalis)

Just for giggles, I'll add Gen 1 and 2.

Gen 2: Pitfall Harry
Gen 1: White magnavox odyssey dot

In regards to your most wanted character, what kind of "cute detail" would you want for them? Like, a reference to their home games in a way that doesn't necessarily affect gameplay much (or at all). A good example of this is Joker's victory screens being just like in Persona 5, with him doing victory laps around the area, and his All Out Attack finishing screen too.

For me, I'd want Sora's HUD icon render to change expressions during battle like it does in the original Kingdom Hearts games when he gets hit or is low on health, just in the Smash render art style instead of the hand drawn styles seen in KHI, KHII, and KH3D.

Like...
https://www.khwiki.com/images/7/7b/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_1.png Normal
https://www.khwiki.com/images/a/a3/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_2.png Taking damage
https://www.khwiki.com/images/2/28/Sprite_Sora_N_KH_3.png At 100% damage or low Stamina
When Sgt. Cortez respawns, it should play this animation

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Rate how wrong I am:
- Monster Hunter
- Raiden
- Jill Valentine
- Lara Croft
- A Pokemon from Sword and Shield
- Kazuma Kiryu
You got 1 right, Lara Croft.

Hunter was Mega Man X, since his job is Marverick/Irregular Hunter.
Lightning was Jin, since his moves have red lightning effects, and Devil would have been too obvious.
Beret was Dixie, cause Ponytail was too similar to "Braid".
Lara you got right, my dude.
Tundra was Sub-Zero, cause the 2nd Sub-Zero was called that before inheriting his brother's name in universe. In real life, it was a name considered for him before MK1 came out.
Dragon was Ryu Hayabusa, cause Ryu means Dragon, and has a sword called the Dragon Sword.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Lets play a game simple game, lets think of a "generation theory", where they decided to include a character from each generation of consoles:
Oof. That is a hard one for me.

1. Umm....
2. Shiiiiii-
3. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
4. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
6. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]

Seriously, like, all but 3 characters out of my top 30 are NES/SNES characters...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
1. 3rd Parties that have a strong relationship with Nintendo means nothing. The inclusion of Cloud and Joker, makes it obvious we need to stop thinking about how greatly associated with Nintendo a 3rd party series is. Anybody is on the table. At this point I don't think a series like Rayman has a greater chance than a series like Bloodborne.
Rayman certainly has a greater chance when you factor in that Sony owns Bloodborne.

SKX31

Smash Master
Lets play a game simple game, lets think of a "generation theory", where they decided to include a character from each generation of consoles, you can view these in two ways:

Option 1:

Option 2:
6) Gen 4/3: NES, Master System, NEC, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Neo-Geo, GB (1989-1995)

My take (Option 1)

Okay, lets go (Gen 0, 1, 2 and 9 are for giggles). And I'm intentionally bringing up different characters than usual:

[ Gen 9 (PS5, XSX because I can, I count the Switch as Gen 8): Pragmata's main characters. Alternatively, the cat from Stray.]
Gen 8: Ring Fit Adventurer.
Gen 7: Big Daddy (BioShock).
Gen 6: Sly Cooper.
Gen 5: Lara Croft.
Gen 4: Axel Stone.
Gen 3: Beast Ganon or Ayumi Tachibana.
[Gen 2 (Atari 2600 and its contemporaries): Space Invaders. (If the 3D Japanese Hamburglar considers it valid, why not?) ]
[Gen 1 (Magnavox Odyssey and the Pong era): Pong.]
[Gen 0 (Are there even video game characters to pick from this far back? Video games' infancy and the university research years - Pre-1972): If one wanted to kinda cheat one could turn the 1947 CRT patent into a character. I'm really tempted to put Spacewar!'s spaceship here though, just to see how one creates a character out of a spaceship. ]

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Glad to meet another fan of the Sun and Moon anime! Sun and Moon (along with Ash in general) get way too much flak. The league win was well deserved!
Sun and Moon's more slice-of-life, comedic appeal is what's kept me watching it. Boyfriend and I were going to try and watch all the episodes of the anime, but partway through Johto I just started to feel so bored. It started feeling much more formulaic and lifeless than Indigo and Orange Islands for me, so I gave up. But I've been loving Sun and Moon!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Option 1:

Option 2:

My take (Option 1)

I’m only going to include characters that debuted on that gen, not just appeared on it.

1.) Min-Min
2.) Steve
3.) Master Chief
4.) Crash Bandicoot
5.) Doom
6.) Ryu Hayabusa

& for fun, a second one with different choices:
1.) 2B
2.) Ezio
3.) Dante
4.) Jill Valentine or Claire Redfield
5.) Tails
6.) Bill Rizer

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Isaac and Waluigi
I don't know, when it comes to first parties I believe that Gen 8 Pokémon or Rex are more discussed lately.

When you win a match with Dante, it doesn't say "Game", it just shows bullet holes covering the entire screen like in the DMC games.
That's something I never thought of but now I needed it. It's a really cool idea, and the best thing is that I could see them doing this, I mean, it would be similar to Joker which already has a unique transition to the victory screen if he wins.
If anything I think they would keep the "Game!", and then the bullets.

Majima needs to be an Assist Trophy only you don't need to pick up the item for him to show up and he spawns even with items off.
This is seriously another great idea. Actually this is maybe the best way to rep Majima, even better than being playable or something. I love this lol

1. 3rd Parties that have a strong relationship with Nintendo means nothing. The inclusion of Cloud and Joker, makes it obvious we need to stop thinking about how greatly associated with Nintendo a 3rd party series is. Anybody is on the table. At this point I don't think a series like Rayman has a greater chance than a series like Bloodborne.
I don't want to be that guy but while I agree with you and I get your point, Bloodborne is owned by Sony so I don't think that's the best example to use there.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
So I've been thinking. Sometimes it's good if we look at all the DLC fighters in the past. Including Smash 4. Here are some points I'd like to bring up.

We literally got Simon Belmont, Rathalos as a boss, Dragon Quest, and Banjo-Kazooie over the course of Ultimate all of which have strong Nintendo ties in contrast to Joker and an Akira Assist Trophy for characters associated with Nintendo's competitors. People need to stop thinking that there not being a hard rule against characters with minimal Nintendo appearances means there is going to be a trend of those characters appearing in Smash.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
We literally got Simon Belmont, Rathalos as a boss, Dragon Quest, and Banjo-Kazooie over the course of Ultimate all of which have strong Nintendo ties in contrast to Joker and an Akira Assist Trophy for characters associated with Nintendo's competitors. People need to stop thinking that there not being a hard rule against characters with minimal Nintendo appearances means there is going to be a trend of those characters appearing in Smash.
Nintendo is such a huge presence in gaming that most major series have had atleast one game on a Nintendo console. So yes, we’ll keep seeing third party characters who’ve appeared on Nintendo consoles before but it’s definitely not a rule.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Min Min Monday is almost upon us! After that, I think our next Smash Bros. reveal will be in September in the first full Nintendo Direct of the year.
Either that, or August. Nothing seems to be coming out then as far as we know.

Sad thing About Gen 8 Pokemon in Fighter Pass is we wouldn't get any new Pokeball Pokemon with them I'd Assume
We don't even get Assist Trophies with the other fighters we got (which I personally would've loved to see), so not too surprising if we don't get any Poké Ball summons.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Did people not realize they showed this off in Samus's showcase trailer?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Min Min Monday is almost upon us! After that, I think our next Smash Bros. reveal will be in September in the first full Nintendo Direct of the year.
Man, it’s ridiculous that we haven’t had a real Direct yet. It’s pretty embarrassing that Nintendo is going into this fall with seemingly no big titles. They have nothing to counter the PS5 & Series X. BOTW2, Odyssey 2 or Mario Kart 9 would’ve done a lot to help the Switch out against the new consoles.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Had no clue this was possible

This was part of why I want a rework of Samus, the Ice Beam is basically one of her staple weapons and it's kinda weird that she wouldn't have the tools to kill a Metroid.
I always liked PM's take where she switches between the Ice Beam and Plasma Beam.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
No wonder people forgot that the Metroid can be frozen. There are like only 3 characters of the 76 fighters who can even use ice attacks naturally. Ice Climbers, Lucas and Hero.

This is kind of why I wish that Ultimate would incorporate an elemental equipment mechanic. Like you equip an item and now all your regular attacks do ice damage.

Maybe incorporate some type matchups where fire equipment is super effective against ice equipment and have like Offensive equipment and defensive equipment. Say you equip Electric offense and Ice defense, so with the former you'd deal twice the damage to characters holding water equipment but with the latter also take half the damage from grass equipment.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Nintendo is such a huge presence in gaming that most major series have had atleast one game on a Nintendo console. So yes, we’ll keep seeing third party characters who’ve appeared on Nintendo consoles before but it’s definitely not a rule.
Its not a rule but looking at the major non-arcade 3rd party content, Sakurai/Nintendo still somewhat favors franchises that has/had a strong Nintendo consoles presence as opposed to indiscriminately throwing in random content from all corners of the industry.

I don't say this because of any dumb fan rule but because of what I've seen with regards to what has been included in Smash. Characters like :ultsnake::ultcloud::ultjoker: are rare enough that I simply don't see their presence as evidence that characters like Kiryu, 2B, a Dark Souls character, or Jinx from League of Legends suddenly have a strong chance of joining even when acknowledging that they aren't no hopers like Goku especially now that we know 1st Parties and Western characters are on the table.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I always liked PM's take where she switches between the Ice Beam and Plasma Beam.
How would they handle that with Dark Samus? Turn her into Samus' Lucina where her attacks are in between the properties of the Ice and Plasma ones?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
How would they handle that with Dark Samus? Turn her into Samus' Lucina where her attacks are in between the properties of the Ice and Plasma ones?
Replace her Ice Beam with the Wave beam maybe.

Have Samus be Fire/Ice-based attacks and Dark Samus be Electric/Aura-based.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Its not a rule but looking at the major non-arcade 3rd party content, Sakurai/Nintendo still somewhat favors franchises that has/had a strong Nintendo consoles presence as opposed to indiscriminately throwing in random content from all corners of the industry.

I don't say this because of any dumb fan rule but because of what I've seen with regards to what has been included in Smash. Characters like :ultsnake::ultcloud::ultjoker: are rare enough that I simply don't see their presence as evidence that characters like Kiryu, 2B, a Dark Souls character, or Jinx from League of Legends suddenly have a strong chance of joining even when acknowledging that they aren't no hopers like Goku especially now that we know 1st Parties and Western characters are on the table.
I didn't say characters who don't have a great pressence on Nintendo consoles have a strong chance. I said characters who have a great pressence on Nintendo consoles are no more likely than those who don't. There's an equal chance. A Dark Souls character have the same amount of a chance as anyone. We need to stop thinking that characters like Rayman are shoe ins because they have a lot of games on Nintendo consoles. We need to put them on the same playing field as other third parties and compare and contrast their other qualities.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I didn't say characters who don't have a great pressence on Nintendo consoles have a strong chance. I said characters who have a great pressence on Nintendo consoles are no more likely than those who don't. There's an equal chance. A Dark Souls character have the same amount of a chance as anyone. We need to stop thinking that characters like Rayman are shoe ins because they have a lot of games on Nintendo consoles. We need to put them on the same playing field as other third parties and compare and contrast their other qualities.
Following your example, I personally think Dark Souls is considerably more likely than Rayman, even if Souls games are less Nintendo than Rayman games. Souls games are a huge part of the gaming industry in the past 10 years, and they're definitely more popular and influential than Rayman. Well, to be fair, From Software and their games has been more influential in the recent years than the 95% of games and developers out there.

It's not like Dark Souls content in Smash is a lock, but I feel people barely talks about it when the games are a key part of the industry since the previous generation.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Following your example, I personally think Dark Souls is considerably more likely than Rayman, even if Souls games are less Nintendo than Rayman games. Souls games are a huge part of the gaming industry in the past 10 years, and they're definitely more popular and influential than Rayman. Well, to be fair, From Software and their games has been more influential in the recent years than the 95% of games and developers out there.

It's not like Dark Souls content in Smash is a lock, but I feel people barely talks about it when the games are a key part of the industry since the previous generation.
If we get a Dark Souls character, I want them to be a hideously broken top-tier character that's also incredibly hard to play, meaning everyone has to git gud.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
When Min Min got announced I started putting together this old idea I had into an image. Trying to organize the whole Smash cast into 4 categories: Brawler, Melee, Arsenal and Energy.
- Brawler - Phyiscal strikes using the character's body, be it arms, legs, tail, head, belly, whatever.
- Melee - Any weapon or tool that is specifically used to swing or stab with.
- Arsenal - Any weapon or tool used for shooting, throwing, or non-attack uses (i.e. pac-man trampoline counts)
- Energy - Attacks that use elemental energy, magic, psychic powers, etc. Basically anything you hit the enemy with that isn't quite physical.
Some additional rules to make some things clearer:
1. The character must have at least 3 moves that fit the category to count. For example, Wario only has one "Arsenal" attack in his bike, so he doesn't count as Arsenal despite having that move. Bare minimum is like Ness who has 3 Melee attacks (his smash attacks) so he counts as Melee as well as Energy.
2. Grabs and Final Smashes DON’T count. If they did, a lot more characters would count as brawler that really shouldn't since almost all grabs are physical. I still think Zair moves count as attacks rather than grabs though.
3. Bashing people with a gun DOESN’T make it Melee. So like Samus punching with her cannon doesn't make her Melee. Only exception is the Pit bows since they transform into bows.
4. A physical punch kick or weapon cloaked in some kind of energy counts as energy over other options. If the move would otherwise be way less powerful without the addition of the special energy (a la everything Zelda does pretty much), it should count more as a use of energy.

So, all that explained, here's the image of the current roster in the categories. May be some points of contention (willing to make adjustments), but it should get the point across.
character types_v2.jpg

So, on the topic of DLC speculation, where does your most wanted characters fall on the chart? Are they in a more saturated section or do they have fewer contemporaries going off these categories?
Below is a template and an example I did using my most wanted.
character types_template.jpg
character types_wants.jpg

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

It just depends on the character & their importance tbh.

Snake & Cloud got in because of how huge of an icon they are. So that would help someone like Master Chief out, despite none of his games being on a Nintendo system (He’s in Minecraft on Switch though lol).

Meanwhile, Joker got in because of his current relevancy, particularly in Japan. Which would help 2B out specifically since I feel Persona 5/Nier: Automata share similar success stories. I also think Sakurai’s goal of using Smash to show the entire world how great Japanese games are could help someone like 2B out.

I do agree that it won’t be the trend going forward, but I think we could see one or maybe two more before Ultimate is over.

Now that we got Castlevania, Dragon Quest & Banjo, I cant really think of any other third parties with strong ties to Nintendo either. I would’ve thrown in Resident Evil because of the GameCube era but that door seems to be closed. There’s series that have been on Nintendo for a long time like Crash, Rayman, Kingdom Hearts & Doom but I wouldn’t say those connections are particularly strong. Atleast not compared to the likes of Mega Man, Castlevania, Sonic, etc...

So I think this could help out characters with little to no ties to Nintendo too.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

Option 1:

Option 2:

Gonna go with option 2!

1. Switch - Min Min
2. N3DS - Kiawe OR N3DS - Faba
3. PS3/360 - Dragonborn
4. PS2 - Prince of All Cosmos OR NGC - Louie
5. PS1 - Crash Bandicoot OR N64/PS1 - Gex
6. Genesis - Dr. Eggman/Tails/Knuckles

SKX31

Smash Master
Replace her Ice Beam with the Wave beam maybe.

Have Samus be Fire/Ice-based attacks and Dark Samus be Electric/Aura-based.
Already exists in the game to a certain extent:

Samus's moves that possess flame effects (except for Missile and Bomb) have been changed into electric effects for Dark Samus. This changes how their respective moves interact with others, such as Dark Samus being unable to detonate other characters' bombs with her equivalent moves, and being able to hurt Olimar's Red Pikmin with them but not his Yellow Pikmin. Those moves are given a lower hitlag multiplier compared to Samus's to make them consistent between the characters.
That said, as far as Samus' different beams... I could see it. Personally I'm fine with where Samus is at the moment (unlike :ultlittlemac:, :ultsonic: and I'd argue :ultolimar: because currently his attack animations are too similar between Side-B, F-Smash and grab* - those three do need attention and in Mac's case even reworking). Giving her a beam shift mechanic isn't a bad idea considering projectile characters have generally become more projectile centric (:ultmegaman: / :ultgunner:) over time.

*(I know it's going to be very difficult to adjust Olimar's animations considering he's a commander, but a second pass and some changes to emphasize his F-Smash would be very welcome.)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Option 1:

Option 2:

My take (Option 1)

Option 2:
1) Gen 9: Min Min
2) Gen 8: Elma
3) Gen 7: Yuri Lowell