• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imran seems to think the pass is going to be mostly first party.

Hmm....
He seems to just be speculating, but what he’s saying sounds very plausible. I’d personally like this, though Steve and Geno not getting in would be disappointing.

Something to chew on...it's very possible that industry insiders know who the character is. It's been implied that they were originally revealing the character earlier this month, but things got shifted around based on the state of the world at that point.

Since then, we've had 2-3 insiders say certain things. Whether they specifically know or not is up in the air.

It'll be interesting to debrief after the reveal on Monday. I've been pretty sure it's Spring Man, but after learning a bit more about Min Min, and how she's the creator's favorite, I'm considering how much that could mean with Smash. The fans love her, the creator loves her...definitely sets up a showdown between the "mascot" of Spring Man vs. the most popular Min-Min.

There will be implications of both additions either way. If it's Spring Man, then Assist Trophies specifically open the floodgates. If it's Min-Min, it's a tad different: Spirits seem to be on the table, but to what extent? Who knows?
---

How does this hint at mainly 1st parties? I'm honestly not sure how one could draw that conclusion from that tweet.
Spring Man is the creator’s favorite, he just “threw in a vote” for Min Min too and finds her relatable. Spring Man is popular too.

edit: I’m just gonna link this, as the dude I mentioned may be the art director, though the other dude also said Spring Man then said Twintelle because he was taken :p
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...e-of-the-games-world-luffy-one-piece.aspx?amp

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's the rest of what Imran said:

"I’m of the belief that Nintendo realizes what a big deal the fighter’s pass can be and wants to use it as an opportunity to sell not only an evergreen title, but evergreen DLC. Not that they didn’t already do that with the first one, but I imagine first party characters involve less fees or portions to other parties, and they’re probably attractive for that reason. More importantly, first party characters are likely a guarantee that they can bring into future games. There were already implications that Cloud was a problem for Ultimate’s base roster. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that a primarily third party pass followed by a primarily first party pass (with minor exceptions) is smart marketing, since it gets people in for the first floor and assumes most will rise to the next one. Never underestimate Nintendo’s penchant for surprise, at least. They know it works for marketing."

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Did you guys read the whole twitter thread of just the first tweet?
I only read the Tweet you posted, and I didn't see a link. I assumed that was the only one.

Given the added context, that seems more like what he suspects rather than him knowing ahead of time. I'm not so sure about that being the case however.

At this point though, we'll have to wait and see for...3 months...and then...another few months.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Given that Imran knows who the character is, I wonder which ARMS character he thinks isn't "that exciting"...

My gut reaction would be Spring Man, just because he is the "obvious" choice.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It could also mean that he doesn't find any of the ARMS characters exciting.
That was my interpretation. Call it another point in Spring Man's favor even though Spring Man is arguably the MOST hype given the fact that he kills the Assist Trophy curse now and forevermore.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
He was the fourth playable character in RtDL, Battle Royale, and Star Allies at launch, he's player two in Rainbow Curse, he gave you food in the 3DS games, and he was given a hat in StreetPass Mii Plaza alongside the main three, alongside "Epic Kirby" and... Prince Fluff? Huh, that's unexpected.

But the point still stands, he's got a pretty good track record. Sure, other characters have done the same as what he's done, but not all at once. Gooey was P2 in KDL3, and Prince Fluff did the same in Epic Yarn, but only in those games. Adeleine gave you food in 64, but only there. Magolor is fairly recurring, yes, but not the same level as the Dee. He was mission control and main villain in RtDL, made some parks off to the side in Dream Collection and Drum Dash Deluxe, ran the shop in Kirby Clash, and was finally playable in an update to Star Allies... But so was basically everyone else. It's pretty decent, but recurring NPC with one playable appearance isn't at the same level as alternating between playable and in-game support.

The Animal Friends weren't really a "fourth main character" because the role was divided between them. They didn't have much plot relevance, either; They were just there to take turns helping Kirby, because who would want to help him? They were also confined to the Dark Matter trilogy until Star Allies, assuming the Stone+Cutter combo counts as an appearance.

Now, this isn't to say any other Kirby character would be bad; I can't bring myself to hate any Kirby character, and I've even got a moveset planned for Magolor. It's just that you shouldn't try and downplay BWD's importance.

Whew, that's a long post. Should probably cut this stuff down a little next time.
But all of those things are debatable, really.
We can continue this forever without an end...

the Animal Friends were main characters in KDL2 and KDL3, kinda main characters (if that even makes sense, they were the blocks) in Kirby Star Stacker and Super Star Stacker, and they appeared in some other stuff too (including a satellaview game if I remember). made a lot of cameos through the series and were characters in the anime as well (not sure if it counts). The animal friends had a pretty good track record too to be fair.

Magolor has the lore of the series built around him and his ancestors, so even if he appeared (slighty) less than BWD and was not playable until Star Allies, his role has always been pretty important since his debut; he's kinda like Rosalina is to Mario, it doesn't matter if she appeared in one game and half (excludign spin-offs with big rosters), that single appearance was very iconic and meaningful. You could say the same for Marx.

And other stuff can be said to defend most of the other major characters as well...

IMO when the Dream Friends feature was added in Kirby Star Allies, and all those characters were brought to the same level, "importance" stopped being a factor: each character has a different purpose and HAL seems interested in keeping all of them around.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I’d be fine with a mostly first party pass since my three most wanted characters are Isaac, Rex, and Andy.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its probably that Imran knows something, I don’t think he knews the list of FP2 fighters (some insiders and journalists probably already know the identity of arms character but that is because he/she will be shown in a bit more than 1 day), but probably he has heard something from his sources like “Nintendo wants to promote their characters this time” or how much does it costs to license from third party companies and he thinks that its much cheaper and profitable to develop first party fighters.

Or even he knows who FP7 and maybe 8 are, and he is thinking “well, the first 3 fighters are from Nintendo, so the final 3 may be also from them”. We will see soon.

I also think its a bit curious how he gets so much Smash information when Sakurai stated various times that DLC development is very secret and even some Nintendo employee's don’t know everything.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Imran seems to think the pass is going to be mostly first party.

Hmm....
Sounds like speculation to me, but considering that they opened up with Arms instead of a popular 3rd party to sell passes, I think he may be right. Most of my most-wanteds are third parties so I’m not too excited about that - unless some of the pass characters end up being from advanced wars or golden sun.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Kinda funny to think Nintendo would look at the success of Fighter Pass 1 and think
That was really good but we can probably do just as well, if not better, without so many expensive big name characters!
We just have to make the kids 'hype', as they say, which we will do by having a strong opening reveal! That's why we'll tease the character by saying exactly what game they're from and showing all 13 possible candidates so there's absolutely no confusion on who it could be!
After promoting our quadro-ultra slam hit Three Houses at the end of the previous Pass and getting a huge reaction from it, we can only go from strength to strength!

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Sounds like speculation to me, but considering that they opened up with Arms instead of a popular 3rd party to sell passes, I think he may be right. Most of my most-wanteds are third parties so I’m not too excited about that - unless some of the pass characters end up being from advanced wars or golden sun.
Nintendo doesn’t seem to give a damn about Golden Sun or Advance Wars anymore, but I’ll still hold out hope.

But let’s be honest, it’ll probably be another Pokémon rep and maybe a BotW2 rep (which I’d be down with as long as it’s not Link or Zelda).

Shroob

Sup?
I have to give props for people who still support series like Advanced Wars or Golden Sun, despite both series being dead in the water.

If this IS 1st party focused with some 3rd parties thrown in, I just don't see a world where it's not "Gen 8 Pokemon" and probably Rex.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Given the fact that Sakurai himself referred to "publishers", I can't really agree on the idea that we're up for an entirely 1st party pass.

Could there be more 1st parties after ARMS? Sure there could.

Will the whole pass be 1st parties? I frankly doubt that.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If Volume 2 truly is all First Party, then go Toad!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I have to give props for people who still support series like Advanced Wars or Golden Sun, despite both series being dead in the water.

If this IS 1st party focused with some 3rd parties thrown in, I just don't see a world where it's not "Gen 8 Pokemon" and probably Rex.
Yeah, "evergreen" is the key word Imran used imo. They're going to want to sell things that people keep buying for years to come. An ARMS character, a Gen 8 Pokemon character, an XB2 character... as long as the Switch is alive they'll be relevant.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Kinda funny to think Nintendo would look at the success of Fighter Pass 1 and think
"If not better"
That's the thing, I don't think they're trying to do better than FP1. They have no reason to, as it's inevitable that the playerbase will be smaller than it was at launch.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Given the fact that Sakurai himself referred to "publishers", I can't really agree on the idea that we're up for an entirely 1st party pass.

Could there be more 1st parties after ARMS? Sure there could.

Will the whole pass be 1st parties? I frankly doubt that.
Oh God we are at the complete opposite position when people were saying "This Fighter's Pass is 3rd Party only there's no way it wouldn't be by this point!" two attoseconds before Byleth reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
I just don't see a world where Gen 8 is skipped. A Gen 8 Pokemon is the one thing I'm more than 50% confident in happening in this wave of DLC. If it's not too late to promote ARMs via Smash, then SwSd are givens.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I think this is fake.
I don't think this one is real either. Look at the "1" in "Player 1" and compare it to this:

In addition, the "Player 1" font doesn't look correct either (Player 1 is larger in the actual game compared to the Min Min screen), Min Min's model shadow is more to the east than it is to the south, and the "Min Min" name in P1's box is also positioned too high to the actual game. Looks like someone made a Min Min render and just applied a drop shadow in Photoshop.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just don't see a world where Gen 8 is skipped. A Gen 8 Pokemon is the one thing I'm more than 50% confident in happening in this wave of DLC. If it's not too late to promote ARMs via Smash, then SwSd are givens.
Then half of this pass is already one big yawn from me. :222:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's just a shame there are dozens of Pokemon more popular than the four(?) plausible Gen 8 additions, who are going to get in just because of fortuitous timing in the transient spotlight.

What a world it'd be if the choice for Pokemon characters wasn't limited to >0.5% of its roster. If the choice could just be based around, y'know, overall popularity across all the gens.

And let's be real, if there's any game that doesn't need Smash's help, it's Pokemon.

But we'll probably end up getting fire rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom