• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hmm... Kinda iffy on that one. Sans and Cuphead fit the Mii's proportions fairly well, and it's fairly easy to give them a gun. Brawlers are supposed to fight barehanded, and her proportions are a bit more realistic.
Shovel Knight and the Knight of Hallownest would probably fit the Mii's a bit better.
(Note that "Knight of Hallownest" isn't an official name, just feels better to say than "Shovel Knight and the Knight")
Yeah, Filia's costume would likely just be the outfit and hair. Unlike Sans and Cuphead, you wouldn't be able to do much to make to get rid of much of the off-brand feel (though they could animate Sampson to give the costume a bit more special). But, as a deluxe costume, it still would come with a music track, and Skullgirls music bops.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, I haven't seen many people talk about Ribbon Girl outside of her being an alt.

Just sayin', if ATs really do deconfirm and people wanna stand by the "main character first" standard, she's also on the front of the box.
If it means we get her stage and music I'm down for her as a stand-alone fighter. Just not my first pick.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Up until a few days ago Ribbon Girl was my most likely pick, but some of the comments made by pretty consistent insiders make me think it's just Spring Man now.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I've accumulated a ton of quotes, so I'm just responding to them all here.

What Nintendo characters (aside from Rex and/or Pyra) realistically have a shot to be included other than the occasional promo based picks that people bring up like a Pokemon?
If they add Min Min because she won the Party Crash, I could see them adding Mimikyu because it was the most popular Pokemon not yet in Smash in the Google poll.
Okay, we aren't getting any new character announcements, but what ELSE might we be getting with update 8.0?

Who we expecting for Mii costumes? Any other additions?

They do, but that doesn't make it any less correct. They ARE still just dumb fan rules.
The dream: "While working from home, I discovered the netcode for this game ****ing sucks. I'm sorry to everyone who had to deal with it, and the 8.0 patch will generaly improve connection

Expectation: nothing
That'd be cool, but then it makes the spirit version potentially harder to obtain, so I dunno?
Fire Emblem Heroes protagonist

You hit all the bases that makes the fanbase babyrage

Another Swordsman
Another Fire Emblem character
Phone bad
I've been thinking, and I think Nowi would be the poorest recived character ever.

-Another Fire Emblem character, pisses off everyone who disliked Byleth.
-Another Awakening character, pisses off classic Fire Emblem fans
-Not even a particularly good character in Awakening, pisses off many fans of that game
-She doesn't have a spirit, meaning there's not even a silver lining.
I had a bizarre dream that they announced fourth party Cartoon Network stages in the ARMS presentation as a separate "Stage Bundle". I don't remember anything except that it was all Cartoon Network.

I'm not even a fan of Cartoon Network.
**** yeah, Steven Universe stuff maybe
It wasn't, it also appeared in Dreamland 3, Kirby 64, numerous spin offs, Mass Attack, Dark Matter appears everywhere.
The version of Dark Matter people want playable, DM Swordsman, was only in DL2 and Robobot. The rest were an amorphous blob.
35 minutes in Sakurai's house - 25 minutes for Min Min, 10 minutes for Sakurai cooking some ramen for us in his kitchen. Perfect.

Alternatively, 25 minutes for Ribbon Girl, 10 minutes of Sakurai showing us how best to curl a ribbon with scissors.
25 minuites of Dr. Coyle, 10 minuites of Sakurai creating artificial life.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
In these years I expressed my opinion on Bandana Waddle Dee enough and you already know what I think of him.
Anyway, I'm really annoyed when people say that other characters are less important.

Aside of Kirby, King Dedede and Metaknight, there is no 4th main character, all the characters are important at the same level.

You can argue that Rick, Kine and Coo were the "4th main character" before Bandana Waddle Dee even existed (ignoring that Superstar cameo that clearly was not intended to be an important thing, it was just a random costume for a minigame), and while BWD appears slighty more often, Magolor seems to get more meaningful involvement than him, so it's really debatable who is the more "important" modern character between the two.

"4th main character" IMO is an extremely bad argument, especially when you have situations like Starfox, where two of the "main four" characters only appear in Smash as minor roles or cameos, while Krystal, the more recent character who existed only in a few games and got almost retconned by Miyamoto, is an assist trophy and it wouldn't surprise me if she became playable in the next game before Peppy and Slippy. Not to mention Toad, that according to "importance" should have been playable since Melee.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The more I think about it I could see the ARMS character being more of an "Olimar" situation than a "Hero" one, in that I could see the ARMS rep be just Springman and Ribbon Girl. Ribbon's gimmick is something that all characters already have to do in Smash, which means that Springman was going to be given one probably anyways, in which case making her an alt wouldn't really be that big of a deal and wouldn't run into the "lose uniqueness" issue that some people have.

Hell, part of me wonders if Sakurai will go a bit more crazy or different and maybe even throw Springtron in the mix. Maybe give Springman and Ribbon Girl 3 alts and Springtron 2. not really banking on this though or expecting it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Well, needless to say I don't buy it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Damn, Sakurai really throwing us for a loop and going for the deep cut selection as DLC. A character that was scrapped entirely is certainly a bold decision. /s
I mean, supposedly Greninja was picked from concept art.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
They would need to annouce ARMS 2 before adding a new sequel guy and its a bit too late for that to happen

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, supposedly Greninja was picked from concept art.
They didn't literally just pick the concept art for Smash though.

Also, they picked a character that was going to be used.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
It's pretty crazy we're this close to the next reveal and we got no leaks (unless that Min Min one with the weird text was somehow real, which I doubt).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In these years I expressed my opinion on Bandana Waddle Dee enough and you already know what I think of him.
Anyway, I'm really annoyed when people say that other characters are less important.

Aside of Kirby, King Dedede and Metaknight, there is no 4th main character, all the characters are important at the same level.

You can argue that Rick, Kine and Coo were the "4th main character" before Bandana Waddle Dee even existed (ignoring that Superstar cameo that clearly was not intended to be an important thing, it was just a random costume for a minigame), and while BWD appears slighty more often, Magolor seems to get more meaningful involvement than him, so it's really debatable who is the more "important" modern character between the two.

"4th main character" IMO is an extremely bad argument, especially when you have situations like Starfox, where two of the "main four" characters only appear in Smash as minor roles or cameos, while Krystal, the more recent character who existed only in a few games and got almost retconned by Miyamoto, is an assist trophy and it wouldn't surprise me if she became playable in the next game before Peppy and Slippy. Not to mention Toad, that according to "importance" should have been playable since Melee.
I disagree on the whole importance thing. Sure it's only the "4th main character" in Kirby Returns to Dreamland, but it has a pretty notable role in every game since, which isn't something you couldn't say for most of the other characters. You may disagree that he absolutely has to be added first, but that doesn't make it less important. To be honest, its probably like Impa in that the series they belong to don't really have a pecking order beyond their main three, but they are more prominent members of their respective series; you shouldn't just write the characters off, but they also don't need to be added before everyone else from their series.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Imran seems to think the pass is going to be mostly first party.

Hmm....

SharkLord

Smash Hero

He was the fourth playable character in RtDL, Battle Royale, and Star Allies at launch, he's player two in Rainbow Curse, he gave you food in the 3DS games, and he was given a hat in StreetPass Mii Plaza alongside the main three, alongside "Epic Kirby" and... Prince Fluff? Huh, that's unexpected.

But the point still stands, he's got a pretty good track record. Sure, other characters have done the same as what he's done, but not all at once. Gooey was P2 in KDL3, and Prince Fluff did the same in Epic Yarn, but only in those games. Adeleine gave you food in 64, but only there. Magolor is fairly recurring, yes, but not the same level as the Dee. He was mission control and main villain in RtDL, made some parks off to the side in Dream Collection and Drum Dash Deluxe, ran the shop in Kirby Clash, and was finally playable in an update to Star Allies... But so was basically everyone else. It's pretty decent, but recurring NPC with one playable appearance isn't at the same level as alternating between playable and in-game support.

The Animal Friends weren't really a "fourth main character" because the role was divided between them. They didn't have much plot relevance, either; They were just there to take turns helping Kirby, because who would want to help him? They were also confined to the Dark Matter trilogy until Star Allies, assuming the Stone+Cutter combo counts as an appearance.

Now, this isn't to say any other Kirby character would be bad; I can't bring myself to hate any Kirby character, and I've even got a moveset planned for Magolor. It's just that you shouldn't try and downplay BWD's importance.

Whew, that's a long post. Should probably cut this stuff down a little next time.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So wait, I'm getting conflicting info here.

Are Insiders hinting at Spring-a-dingman or nah?
Here's my answer to that pulled straight from the ARMS thread:
I'm 99% sure it's Spring Man (also including the possibility of Hero alts) now.
I was 85% from the beginning, but everything has been in Spring Man's favor since then. If it's a Hero situation, then Spring Man is the default costume.
If it's just one character, it's Spring Man.
If it's one unique character and one Echo Fighter, it's Spring Man with a Ribbon Girl Echo.
But ultimately, what sealed the deal for me was that leaker that said giving the gender away would be a dead giveaway and that it wasn't Helix.
That points right to Spring Man, as he's the only viable male choice.
Female character choices are split between Min Min and Ribbon Girl, and Dr. Coyle and Twintelle to a lesser extent.

Unless the gender is "multiple", then we got a Hero situation. But even then, Spring Man is the default.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So wait, I'm getting conflicting info here.

Are Insiders hinting at Spring-a-dingman or nah?
I’m not sure they’re hinting at any single character in particular. NateDrake’s gender comment makes it sound like Spring Man, but idk what he meant with others saying he had another message about just saying that because he didn’t want to say more.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Hmm....
That's be pretty reasonable. The first six DLCs were four big third-parties and two smaller first-parties. For the second pass, I could see it being mostly Nintendo characters with a couple popular third-parties to keep the hype up. Popular requests from Ultimate's pre-release and Ultimate's first pass have a serious divide, and it'd be nice for the older, smaller requests to get a second chance. Besides, there's a sizeable pool of candidates to pull from with the Spirits and Assists. I could see a promotion-based pass happening.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Something to chew on...it's very possible that industry insiders know who the character is. It's been implied that they were originally revealing the character earlier this month, but things got shifted around based on the state of the world at that point.

Since then, we've had 2-3 insiders say certain things. Whether they specifically know or not is up in the air.

It'll be interesting to debrief after the reveal on Monday. I've been pretty sure it's Spring Man, but after learning a bit more about Min Min, and how she's the creator's favorite, I'm considering how much that could mean with Smash. The fans love her, the creator loves her...definitely sets up a showdown between the "mascot" of Spring Man vs. the most popular Min-Min.

There will be implications of both additions either way. If it's Spring Man, then Assist Trophies specifically open the floodgates. If it's Min-Min, it's a tad different: Spirits seem to be on the table, but to what extent? Who knows?
---

Hmm....
How does this hint at mainly 1st parties? I'm honestly not sure how one could draw that conclusion from that tweet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom