• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For me my cynthia idea i feel fits well. She's not fighting herself, she is so on sync she can be on the feild with her pokemon.

As for the pokemon she would use in all her attacks, she has had more then 6 but i piked 6 different types most not represented as playable, and also fits a champions team. Garchomp, milotic, glaceon, Togekiss, spiritomb, and Roserade. Each would do her various attacks

If you guys want i made a whole write up of this awhile ago, and can post it here after i am home from work

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm sure a lot of people would be surprised by this, but I don't really want another human character representing Pokemon in Smash.

For starters, the human's presence means very little in the grand scheme of things. All you'd be doing is letting an NPC steal the thunder from the real playable character(s). I also think the gimmick of switching between multiple Pokemon should be reserved for PT. Adding a second character like that would ruin what makes him so unique. Lastly, adding two or three Pokemon as one character feels like overkill. I'd be happy, sure, but even I can admit that something like that would be a little unfair, especially if the DLC was the same price as other bundles.

As for getting Pokemon who aren't humanoid, well, you see who I'm supporting. A majority of our most likely options are anthro (all three starters, Toxtricity, Obstagoon, Sirfetch'd, Urshifu, Calyrex). If you want a Pokemon who doesn't look human-like, you're basically limited to the Legendaries, Dragapult, and a few others who I don't really have a lot of faith in.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm sure a lot of people would be surprised by this, but I don't really want another human character representing Pokemon in Smash.

For starters, the human's presence means very little in the grand scheme of things. All you'd be doing is letting an NPC steal the thunder from the real playable character(s). I also think the gimmick of switching between multiple Pokemon should be reserved for PT. Adding a second character like that would ruin what makes him so unique. Lastly, adding two or three Pokemon as one character feels like overkill. I'd be happy, sure, but even I can admit that something like that would be a little unfair, especially if the DLC was the same price as other bundles.

As for getting Pokemon who aren't humanoid, well, you see who I'm supporting. A majority of our most likely options are anthro (all three starters, Toxtricity, Obstagoon, Sirfetch'd, Urshifu, Calyrex). If you want a Pokemon who doesn't look human-like, you're basically limited to the Legendaries, Dragapult, and a few others who I don't really have a lot of faith in.
How could you call Sirfetch'd, a duck with no human features, Rillaboom, a literal gorilla, and Calyrex of all things "humanlike" at all?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

That's pretty true, but I can't help but feel trainers are missing from the game. Spirits maybe?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Forget having another Pokemon trainer.

They should add the best character from SwSH:

His moveset could revolve around tossing various different pokeballs at you...or something.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
How could you call Sirfetch'd, a duck with no human features, Rillaboom, a literal gorilla, and Calyrex of all things "humanlike" at all?
Because Sirfetch'd is a biped who runs around with a sword and shield? Rillaboom is a drummer?

I'm not saying human-like in the sense that they look like a literal person. Hardly any of the current Pokemon on the roster do. The point that me and several others are getting at is that Sakurai tends to choose the anthro Pokemon who have a lot of human qualities. He hasn't been going for characters like Ivysaur who don't have human-like limbs to punch and kick opponents with.

That's pretty true, but I can't help but feel trainers are missing from the game. Spirits maybe?
I think Spirits would be best. Maybe add a few trainers in the background of stages as well.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
For me my cynthia idea i feel fits well. She's not fighting herself, she is so on sync she can be on the feild with her pokemon.

As for the pokemon she would use in all her attacks, she has had more then 6 but i piked 6 different types most not represented as playable, and also fits a champions team. Garchomp, milotic, glaceon, Togekiss, spiritomb, and Roserade. Each would do her various attacks

If you guys want i made a whole write up of this awhile ago, and can post it here after i am home from work
Oh you want the trainer to fight? That's where the idea kind of dies off for me, honestly. I've seen concepts for Guzma and Bea before as fighters by themselves and never liked them. Having the trainers fight themselves just never seemed right to me, the Pokemon are there for a reason. I'd like to see that write up because I never thought of Cynthia of all trainers as someone that would actually fight.
Because other than Calyrex, they have humanlike features? Sirfetch'd is a knight and Rillaboom is a drummer. If those two aren't humanoid, Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar must not be humanoid to you either.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be fair, gorillas are humanoid animals.
And saying a gorilla is "too human" for being a gorilla is asinine.
Because Sirfetch'd is a biped who runs around with a sword and shield? Rillaboom is a drummer?

I'm not saying human-like in the sense that they look like a literal person. Hardly any of the current Pokemon on the roster do. The point that me and several others are getting at is that Sakurai tends to choose the anthro Pokemon who have a lot of human qualities. He hasn't been going for characters like Ivysaur who don't have human-like limbs to punch and kick opponents with.

I think Spirits would be best. Maybe add a few trainers in the background of stages as well.
Gorillas use tools in the wild. There's nothing overtly human about Rillaboom. It's a fairly standard gorilla beating a tree stump with a stick.

And the moment you start saying a duck is too human for standing on two legs, which is what sucks do, you're going way too far. Sirfetch'd is FAR from humanoid.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Forget having another Pokemon trainer.

They should add the best character from SwSH:

His moveset could revolve around tossing various different pokeballs at you...or something.
I wholeheartedly think this is a great idea

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
NintendoVS just tweeted about the Splatoon 2 tournament

Finally, something interesting. Tbh y’all should be tracking NintendoVS’s updates

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You can't call Pokemon "human-like" if they aren't even in the human-like egg group :p

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Gorillas use tools in the wild. There's nothing overtly human about Rillaboom. It's a fairly standard gorilla beating a tree stump with a stick.

And the moment you start saying a duck is too human for standing on two legs, which is what sucks do, you're going way too far. Sirfetch'd is FAR from humanoid.
Let me say it this way:

I want Sakurai to really switch things up and choose a Pokemon with as little human qualities as possible. I don't want a Pokemon who runs around on two legs and attacks fighters with punches, kicks, and weapons that only a human could use effectively. Give me a Pokemon who flies or walks on all fours. Give me a Pokemon who fights mostly by biting, or clawing, or using something like retractable vines.

The past three Pokemon have been based off of a martial artist, a ninja, and a professional wrestler. While I'm satisfied with how they turned out, I'd like to see him choose a more feral Pokemon for a change.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
What tekken in smash thing?
Beyond the flimsy post of saying Heihachi might be guest appearing in something (potentially Smash but could easily be another fighting game), there's not a "thing". I just want Tekken in Smash is all.

Kinda zoned out on the current leak spec stuff anyway since the wait for ARMS hasn't really been my cup of tea - personal feelings on the character aside, it's just been too damn long.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm fine with Sirfetch'd regardless of the absolutely farfetched idea it's too human because it has 4 limbs like every other character in Smash. That being said I would consider buying a second Switch and copy to mod the game if Sirfetch'd got in just for this
4a7.png

QUACK TO QUACK!
CRITS COME ARRIVING ON THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN!

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Beyond the flimsy post of saying Heihachi might be guest appearing in something (potentially Smash but could easily be another fighting game), there's not a "thing". I just want Tekken in Smash is all.

Kinda zoned out on the current leak spec stuff anyway since the wait for ARMS hasn't really been my cup of tea - personal feelings on the character aside, it's just been too damn long.
There’s a leaked message that’s supposedly from Vergeben (hasn’t actually been confirmed yet) that says Heihachi is supposed to be guest appearing in “something”
Seems a little flimsy, but if it is from Vergeben, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the idea is that people would like to see Pokémon with quadrupedal, amorphous, snakelike, or monstrous body types rather than humanoid ones due to the inherent creativity needed to make them work. While I do agree that after Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar, the next Pokémon should shake things up, but this can still be done with a humanoid Pokémon so long as their abilities are novel and unique ideas in the general gaming landscape.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Anyone wonders what if the characters had Mortal Kombat/Injustice like dialogue intros?

:ultcloud:: "You remind of Jenova."
:ultdarksamus:: "Maybe I'm her in the flesh."
:ultcloud:: "All the more reason to destroy you."

:ultsnake:: "Where I'm from, the supernatural is science."
:ultsimon:: "Where I'm from, the science is supernatural."
:ultsnake:: "And to think we're both with the same employer."

:ultsnake:: "Psycho Mantis?"
:ultmewtwo:: "I am not a mantis, Snake."
:ultsnake:: "But you are psychic and that's all I need."

:ultsonic:: "Hey, Mario. What's up?"
:ultmario:: "I'mma doing-a great, Sonic!"
:ultsonic:: "To think we used to hate each other."

:ultganondorf:: "You are not fit to rule, Bowser."
:ultbowser:: "Unlike you, I've never died."
:ultganondorf:: "Explain the pile of bones I have in my dungeon."

:ultpalutena:: "I won't lose this time, Link."
:ultlink:: "Different Link. Expect the same result."
:ultpalutena:: "Let's see if your Goddess will help you here."

:ultcloud:: "You friends with Sephiroth?"
:ultganondorf:: "He and I have unfinished business."
:ultcloud:: "Business that I'll cut short."

:ultfalcon:: "That bounty was mine, Samus."
:ultsamus:: "Bowser was rightfully mine, Falcon."
:ultfalcon:: "Let's see you say that when I take him from you."

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Good news guys, Lucario is our only human-like Pokemon so all this talk about favoring humanoids is outrageous.
I mean, the Egg-Group doesn't determine what the Pokémon look like. Geninja and Incineroar are still very much humanoid characters.

So is Mewtwo, but nobody has any beef with it, which probably proves my point that it's not really the body type so much as the concept/archetype of the Pokémon.

I ship it.:awesome:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm fine with Sirfetch'd regardless of the absolutely farfetched idea it's too human because it has 4 limbs like every other character in Smash. That being said I would consider buying a second Switch and copy to mod the game if Sirfetch'd got in just for this
View attachment 275207
QUACK TO QUACK!
CRITS COME ARRIVING ON THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN!
This is the best thing I've seen today.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I mean unless more solid proof comes out then it'll remain flimsy. I'm just only talking him up just because of the idea of having Tekken in Smash seems fun, plus again, really not into ARMS enough to care about whoever gets in.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regarding Cynthia. Its interesting to note she has no Spirit.

That could be something going for her.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh you want the trainer to fight? That's where the idea kind of dies off for me, honestly. I've seen concepts for Guzma and Bea before as fighters by themselves and never liked them. Having the trainers fight themselves just never seemed right to me, the Pokemon are there for a reason. I'd like to see that write up because I never thought of Cynthia of all trainers as someone that would actually fight.

Because other than Calyrex, they have humanlike features? Sirfetch'd is a knight and Rillaboom is a drummer. If those two aren't humanoid, Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar must not be humanoid to you either.
Its not exactly like her doing any punching and kicking, but she is one the stage and you control her, but every one of her actions bar a few she has one of her 6 pokemon do an action. But yeah will post it later

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
hello everyone today i would like to talk about my favorite humanlike pokemon

600px-874Stonjourner.png

his name is stonjourner and he has arms and legs which mean he is a humanoid

do you guys think he has a chance please be honest with me

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's fair but biped doesn't mean it's humanoid, which is the issue here because some people failed biology
They don't teach animal body types in grade school biology. The closest thing to it was the dichotomous key, but that only went as far as biped & quadruped.

Usually they're more focused on bodily functions, or the very basics of the animal kingdom (amounting to teaching you what the order of classification is) in lower grades.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Anyone wonders what if the characters had Mortal Kombat/Injustice like dialogue intros?

:ultcloud:: "You remind of Jenova."
:ultdarksamus:: "Maybe I'm her in the flesh."
:ultcloud:: "All the more reason to destroy you."

:ultsnake:: "Where I'm from, the supernatural is science."
:ultsimon:: "Where I'm from, the science is supernatural."
:ultsnake:: "And to think we're both with the same employer."

:ultsnake:: "Psycho Mantis?"
:ultmewtwo:: "I am not a mantis, Snake."
:ultsnake:: "But you are psychic and that's all I need."

:ultsonic:: "Hey, Mario. What's up?"
:ultmario:: "I'mma doing-a great, Sonic!"
:ultsonic:: "To think we used to hate each other."

:ultganondorf:: "You are not fit to rule, Bowser."
:ultbowser:: "Unlike you, I've never died."
:ultganondorf:: "Explain the pile of bones I have in my dungeon."

:ultpalutena:: "I won't lose this time, Link."
:ultlink:: "Different Link. Expect the same result."
:ultpalutena:: "Let's see if your Goddess will help you here."

:ultcloud:: "You friends with Sephiroth?"
:ultganondorf:: "He and I have unfinished business."
:ultcloud:: "Business that I'll cut short."

:ultfalcon:: "That bounty was mine, Samus."
:ultbowserjr:: I told you that one day I'd be big enough to fight you again!
:ultmario:: Let's-a go!
:ultbowserjr::WAHAHA!

:ultbayonetta1::"Really darling, how often do you have to be rescued?"
:ultpeach::"Enough to learn how to take care of myself!"
:ultbayonetta1::"We'll see~"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
hello everyone today i would like to talk about my favorite humanlike pokemon

his name is stonjourner and he has arms and legs which mean he is humanoid

do you guys think he has a chance please be honest with me
That's not a humanoid! That's a mistake! :4pacman:

It don't got a torso though. It's more like Kirby with thunder thighs.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
In the case that we do get some Gen 8 Pokemon

I just want someone that’s unique

And considering the current roster of Pokemon with the variety in moveset (w/ the exception of Pikachu/Pichu), I have reasonable faith they will be

Basically:
Being bipedal doesn’t make you humanoid and the number of legs doesn’t determine a Pokemon’s uniqueness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom