• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, let's say that the ARMS character is Max Brass, or Dr. Coyle, or Helix, or someone whose inclusion heavily implies that being an assist trophy or a spirit is enough to disqualify someone from DLC. What would your ideal Fighters Pass 2 look like in that case?

This would be mine:

https://i.imgur.com/CLmvNHf.png

Admittedly, it doesn't seem overly likely for a variety of reasons (given how rarely Smash has added characters from M-rated games (:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultsnake:), it seems unlikely that they're going to more-than-double that amount), but it's my ideal list, not an attempt at a prediction. (because I'm well aware that I'd be way off if I tried predicting, considering that I thought Erdrick would be the default if we got a Dragon Quest hero, that Banjo and Kazooie were never going to happen despite wanting them to be in Smash since the first Smash game came out, and that we wouldn't get Terry until further down the line until the Nintendo of Europe leak happened)

I put Doomguy last because, ideally, the development team would have learned to not save a combo-heavy character like Dante or 2B until the end so there's more time to balance them. (the order of the others doesn't particularly matter)

Admittedly, I haven't played much of Tekken or Nier Automata, but it seems like those characters have a ton of material to work with for moves, on top of everything else that they'd bring to Smash Bros (stages, music, spirits - the whole shebang). Heihachi's got a ton of history behind him, and it's pretty rare (in games, at least) for a villain to be the face of the franchise.

As for 2B, I'm sure some will say that she doesn't have a presence on Nintendo consoles, but considering that characters like Cloud and Joker had a presence on Nintendo consoles that could generously be called "minimal" at the time of their announcement (Cloud had a few cameos, mostly in Kingdom Hearts games, and Joker had a 3DS spin-off that released in Japan about a week before his announcement), I doubt that would be an issue. (plus, the movesets made by @Venus of the Desert Bloom for 2B and @JudgeHeihachi for Heihachi helped to convince me, or at least made it much easier for me to picture them in Smash)
If we're not doing any upgrades, I'd love a pass that looked like this:
  1. Dr. Coyle - One of my personal favorites of the ARMS roster.
  2. Crash Bandicoot - I feel like he speaks for himself at this point and it fulfills the dream of building the Playstation Crossover in Smash a little more.
  3. Travis Touchdown - No More Heroes is too damn good to not see in Smash at this point, and Travis is basically a Nintendo character at this point lol.
  4. Heihachi - After Terry, I really want to see how crazy Sakurai can get in adapting something crazy like Tekken into Smash.
  5. Master Chief - Look, I adore Halo so much and having the mascot of Xbox in Smash would speak volume to what it has become in the best possible way.
  6. Sora - This character isn't so much for me as it is everyone else who loves this character and he would be such a great fan request to finally see fulfilled that also represents the culmination of Smash's ability to crossover in meaningful ways.
Honorable Mentions: 2B, Dante, and Arle Nadja

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can’t believe y’all are missing the obvious reference:
1590981060124.jpeg

Smh

:troll:

Last edited:

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
What's this? A handsome tactical espionage soldier woefully underpopulated by bees? A large influx of BEES ought to put a stop to that!

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Excited for the first "WELL, its JUNE!!!!!!! Where is the ARMS character Nintendo? HMMMMMM?" posts to start coming in tomorrow.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Likely Smash unrelated or doesn't means anything maybe, but someone shared this to me in Discord, so leaving it here.
Sakurai: We've heard all your cries and pleas for the ARMS character, and I'm excited to announce that I will be cancelling all remaining DLC and replacing the entire roster with Fire Emblem characters. Thank you very much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/gu9di6
>No Gatekeeper

Why live?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Likely Smash unrelated or doesn't means anything maybe, but someone shared this to me in Discord, so leaving it here.
Seems to be a silly monthly thing they do:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'll pin the ARMs character for roughly around when E3 was meant to be. If it comes before that, a pleasant surprise to be sure.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai: We've heard all your cries and pleas for the ARMS character, and I'm excited to announce that I will be cancelling all remaining DLC and replacing the entire roster with Fire Emblem characters. Thank you very much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/gu9di6
It would actually be super cool to see a game like this. With so many FE characters, they're all going to be diving into the peculiarities of the different types of soldiers, like spear/axe wielders, more spell casters, and so on. Most of them would have weapons as well, meaning there wouldn't be range issues with the swordfighters.

Yep, it would be a very cool spinoff for Smash.

D

Deleted member

Seems to be a silly monthly thing they do:
Well, that's the fastest anything's ever been shot down. Probably won't hear anything about the direct until late into the first week, trailer/reveal in the second week, and character drop late third, if not the final, week of June.

I wouldn't count on a preview for the next DLC character though. If the world wasn't dealing with COVID then they'd probably be far enough along to confidently show off a teaser for the next, but because everything has been slowed down and they're working from home, the whole release schedule we know for Fighter's Pass 2 is probably gonna be tossed out the window. We may not end up seeing this pass end until mid 2022 instead of finishing up by December of 2021 as originally planned.

Strap yourselves in for a LONG speculation period.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
It would actually be super cool to see a game like this. With so many FE characters, they're all going to be diving into the peculiarities of the different types of soldiers, like spear/axe wielders, more spell casters, and so on. Most of them would have weapons as well, meaning there wouldn't be range issues with the swordfighters.

Yep, it would be a very cool spinoff for Smash.
An entire chunk of the roster would be swordsmen, the one thing that the Smash fandom hates so much.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, that's the fastest anything's ever been shot down. Probably won't hear anything about the direct until late into the first week, trailer/reveal in the second week, and character drop late third, if not the final, week of June.

I wouldn't count on a preview for the next DLC character though. If the world wasn't dealing with COVID then they'd probably be far enough along to confidently show off a teaser for the next, but because everything has been slowed down and they're working from home, the whole release schedule we know for Fighter's Pass 2 is probably gonna be tossed out the window. We may not end up seeing this pass end until mid 2022 instead of finishing up by December of 2021 as originally planned.

Strap yourselves in for a LONG speculation period.
I doubt that. Didn't Sakurai said that development at home was going well? It definitely could delay things a bit sure, but I can't see us not getting 6 characters in 2 years, with one on the verge of coming out.

That, and they probably have a trailer more than ready for FP7 done. IIRC, the animations in the trailers aren't done in house, the only part they contribute is the gameplay clips.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
An entire chunk of the roster would be swordsmen, the one thing that the Smash fandom hates so much.
I don't think the complains that Smash fans on swordsmen have anything valid to them considering Isaac and Sora are amongst the most requested characters ever and that Crono, 2B and Dante are still decently requested. Yes, I know the latter has much more than a sword, but it would still no doubt be used in some part of his moveset.
I doubt that. Didn't Sakurai said that development at home was going well? It definitely could delay things a bit sure, but I can't see us not getting 6 characters in 2 years, with one on the verge of coming out.

That, and they probably have a trailer more than ready for FP7 done. IIRC, the animations in the trailers aren't done in house, the only part they contribute is the gameplay clips.
Wasn't Byleth's presentation recorded in November? They honestly have had plenty of time to finish the ARMS character for now and must probably just be bug testing before release, while already having some progress on FP8.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think the complains that Smash fans on swordsmen have anything valid to them considering Isaac and Sora are amongst the most requested characters ever and that Crono, 2B and Dante are still decently requested. Yes, I know the latter has much more than swords. but it would still no doubt be used in some part of his moveset.

Wasn't Byleth's presentation recorded in November? They honestly have had plenty of time to finish the ARMS character for now and must probably just be bug testing before release, while already having some progress on FP8.
Yeah, that's the thing.

Just because a character gets released at a certain date doesn't mean that they were being worked on to the 11th hour. We know that the FP1 presentations were all recorded several months in advance, the last few months of development are just mainly bug fixes and then moving the workload onto the next project.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can't wait for the trailer to be June 30th...ha...ha....

For real though, I REALLY want to see this moveset right now. There's so many ways to take the ARMS gimmick, so I'm pretty curious.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As a rule of thumb, you can pretty safely throw out any supposed leak saying Max Brass is the ARMS fighter. He's pretty much 4chan's new Steve, where they're literally only pushing him to demoralize people (in this case, people who think Assists or Spirits have a chance). Basically just being contrarian douchebags.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
As a rule of thumb, you can pretty safely throw out any supposed leak saying Max Brass is the ARMS fighter. He's pretty much 4chan's new Steve, where they're literally only pushing him to demoralize people (in this case, people who think Assists or Spirits have a chance). Basically just being contrarian douchebags.
I thought Crash and Rayman were the ones they were making ugly models for.

Anyway, if we were to use that ARMS' tournament's results as a metric for probability, Min Min surpasses everyone, Mechanica would be just as likely as Twintelle, and Springtron would be more likely than Spring Man.

Just something funny I noticed, if it hasn't been brought to attention already.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Awww that's sad.

Max Brass would be super hype.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Unless you count the fake leak with 50 replies as a big fake leak; Max Brass is definitely not anywhere on the level of Steveposting. In the last day or so, there was maybe 1 thread created about Max Brass in Smash (and that was the fake leak). Most people still talk about/create threads for Spring Man or Min Min, and the Max Brass discussion is still limited to a small portion of those roster threads. There are like a dozen threads roster threads everyday with Min-Min representing ARMS in most of them.

At his peak, ugly Steve had around a dozen threads per day and many of them reached maximum replies (around 300 to 500 replies). Heck, Ugly Steve still gets more threads daily comparatively to Max Brass, with more activity. So Max Brass is in no way the new Steve, at most you have some people saying he'll get in to "BTFO people who want promotions" but that's an extremely small minority, there are definitely people who think he makes sense from a story standpoint and genuinely want him in.

That said, it's probably best to ignore all text leaks from 4chan, unless it comes with a ton of evidence. There are like a couple dozen fake leaks posted on 4chan every single day. There's no way to know if a text leak is real until it's dis-confirmed or confirmed.

Also the thing 4chan is actually trying to push right now are Ugly Rayman and Ugly Crash, but they haven't exploded in the same way as Ugly Steve.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

>No Gatekeeper

Why live?
I wonder if that final update's the last FREE update and they'll finally add that other game mode that they clearly had in mind at one point.

Though given the use the NSMB Yoshi render, it has me wondering if this is for those Mario remakes or Newer Super Mario Bros, an "original" instalment for the Switch.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wonder if that final update's the last FREE update and they'll finally add that other game mode that they clearly had in mind at one point.

Though given the use the NSMB Yoshi render, it has me wondering if this is for those Mario remakes or Newer Super Mario Bros, an "original" instalment for the Switch.
You missed that this is just something Nintendo does every month

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
At his peak, ugly Steve had around a dozen threads per day and many of them reached maximum replies (around 300 to 500 replies). Heck, Ugly Steve still gets more threads daily comparatively to Max Brass, with more activity. So Max Brass is in no way the new Steve, at most you have some people saying he'll get in to "BTFO people who want promotions" but that's an extremely small minority, there are definitely people who think he makes sense from a story standpoint and genuinely want him in.
I like you! But yeah, I mainly think he'd be fun.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wonder why they attached on to Max Brass instead of Lola Pop. 4chan loves comparing people to clowns, corrupting wholesome things and loudly declaring what DeviantArt will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom