• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, we're in June and no one make the joke yet, so...

As a rule of thumb, you can pretty safely throw out any supposed leak saying Max Brass is the ARMS fighter. He's pretty much 4chan's new Steve, where they're literally only pushing him to demoralize people (in this case, people who think Assists or Spirits have a chance). Basically just being contrarian douchebags.
Thanks for breaking my heart, Opo

1591016517756.png

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

News on the Pokemon expansion pass is going to be revealed tomorrow. (it's June 2nd at 10 pm Japan time - I think that would be 9 am Eastern) I think there was a Pokemon presentation last year before E3 (correct me if I'm wrong - I could be thinking of 2018, or I could be completely off-base), so hopefully that's a sign that we'll get the ARMS reveal (and hopefully a Nintendo Direct) within the next week or so.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well, time to bring about my 10.most wanted yet again! I even slipped in some support threads this time, which you'll find in the names:
  1. Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
  2. Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
  3. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
  4. DeMille (Tomato Adventure)
  5. Adeleine and Ribbon (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards)
  6. Bandana Dee (Kirby: Return to Dream Land)
  7. Euden (Dragalia Lost)
  8. Dig Dug/Taizo Hori (Dig Dug)
  9. Crash Bandicoot (Cash Banooca)
  10. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Honorable mention I forgot to add: Min Min (ARMS)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Keep in mind, Paper Mario: Origami King and the March 26th Nintendo Direct were both dropped on Thursday, so a Thursday sometime this month seems to be the most likely option.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

News on the Pokemon expansion pass is going to be revealed tomorrow. (it's June 2nd at 10 pm Japan time - I think that would be 9 am Eastern) I think there was a Pokemon presentation last year before E3 (correct me if I'm wrong - I could be thinking of 2018, or I could be completely off-base), so hopefully that's a sign that we'll get the ARMS reveal (and hopefully a Nintendo Direct) within the next week or so.
Yeah it was literally 1 week before Nintendo's presentation last year, yet they showed the exact same info alongside Nessa. Really, one of the reasons I thought Nintendo's presentation was mediocre was hyping up the exact same ****

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here we are

June is here

So now when will the arms rep winner will be shown?
Either revealed June 11th and released on the 16th.

Or

Revealed and released on June 16th.
Keep in mind, Paper Mario: Origami King and the March 26th Nintendo Direct were both dropped on Thursday, so a Thursday sometime this month seems to be the most likely option.
Paper Mario confirmed for FP7. :smirk:

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

Finally, I want to see more info on those new regis.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m betting next week for the reveal. Wasn’t that the week that E3 was originally going to happen during anyway?

I also think we’ll get the next character revealed even if it’s just the CG trailer. I think they know that the Arms character won’t excite everyone, so they’ll reveal someone more exciting to boost Pass sales.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
As a rule of thumb, you can pretty safely throw out any supposed leak saying Max Brass is the ARMS fighter. He's pretty much 4chan's new Steve, where they're literally only pushing him to demoralize people (in this case, people who think Assists or Spirits have a chance). Basically just being contrarian douchebags.
Not sure why Max is their choice for a bad pick. Even though I'm not sure a heavy character is going to be the rep there's for sure worse choices

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh good! I hope they show off just how much this adds to the game. I mean, it doesn't have to spoil anything, but it needs to give us a good indication of how substantial this DLC is.

Here's to hoping it's not just a foofy side event that can be completed in 5 minutes. It'd be great for things like that to happen to the mythical Pokémon, but it's not worth $30 for 10 more minutes of gameplay.

Not sure why Max is their choice for a bad pick. Even though I'm not sure a heavy character is going to be the rep there's for sure worse choices
In order to emphasis Max Brass's abilities, I don't think he'll be a super heavyweight until he pumps up. My guess is that his weight value will be 108 (maybe a bit less), and them bump up to 116, or perhaps a bit more to hit it home.

EDIT: If those values don't mean anything to you, this is the difference between KOing :ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ult_terry:* and :ultcharizard::ultincineroar:.

*Bowser Jr. is also this weight, but he dies either earlier or later depending on if you hit the kid or the car.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I’m betting next week for the reveal. Wasn’t that the week that E3 was originally going to happen during anyway?

I also think we’ll get the next character revealed even if it’s just the CG trailer. I think they know that the Arms character won’t excite everyone, so they’ll reveal someone more exciting to boost Pass sales.
Yeah. We're almost at E3 season. To clarify: we don't have E3 as we know it, but there are multiple things for gaming news during this month. The Summerfest thing, New Game Plus Expo starting June 23 with news from japanese companies and developers such as Sega, Atlus, SNK, Arc System Works, Koei Tecmo, Spike Chunsoft or Grasshopper. Then there's IGN doing his own thing during the summer with new trailers and interviews from multiple developers, and of course, this week is the PS5 presentation.

So in the end, I'd say that instead of getting 3-4 days of announcements, we're getting new things during all the month. We will get some random and surprise news as well, I think.
Saying this for anyone who could be interested in looking forward to some general gaming news.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
An entire chunk of the roster would be swordsmen, the one thing that the Smash fandom hates so much.
Well you're missing the point: why do people hate swordsmen? It's not because of gameplay, it's because the characters could be absolutely anything else, and instead there's a repeated and similar design to a bunch of them, all with the anime look and swordfighting mechanics.

But take away the premise of the game, that fighters can be from anywhere, and postulate that they can only be from Fire Emblem instead. And suddenly what you get is a very rich game with tons of potential characters, all within the same theme, all with different gimmicks and mechanics, even if a bunch of them have swords. But with a roster that big, and if they try to be representative of every FE game out there, there'd be tons of axes, lances, bows, magics, and every other lesser known weapons in the games.

Why did they decide to stick mostly to Swords in Smash, when Fire Emblem is all about the weapon triangle, and the relationship between melee weapons and ranged projectiles/magics, I don't know. But there's a lot of depth in FE that could be at least partially translated to a Smash game. And if the focus of the game was on that, instead of a representation of all types of games out there, it'd be one hell of a fun Smash-spinoff to play. And I'd buy it blindly.

Fire Emblem is a GREAT series of games, even if they made poor decisions about its integration in Smash. And again, I blame Lucina and Chrom, because people were loving Marth and Roy back in Melee despite not knowing much about them, and Ike was a nice super-heavy variation on swordsmen, back in Brawl. And Robin is nothing like a swordsfighter, and goes to show how original an all-FE cast could be.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well you're missing the point: why do people hate swordsmen? It's not because of gameplay, it's because the characters could be absolutely anything else, and instead there's a repeated and similar design to a bunch of them, all with the anime look and swordfighting mechanics.

But take away the premise of the game, that fighters can be from anywhere, and postulate that they can only be from Fire Emblem instead. And suddenly what you get is a very rich game with tons of potential characters, all within the same theme, all with different gimmicks and mechanics, even if a bunch of them have swords. But with a roster that big, and if they try to be representative of every FE game out there, there'd be tons of axes, lances, bows, magics, and every other lesser known weapons in the games.

Why did they decide to stick mostly to Swords in Smash, when Fire Emblem is all about the weapon triangle, and the relationship between melee weapons and ranged projectiles/magics, I don't know. But there's a lot of depth in FE that could be at least partially translated to a Smash game. And if the focus of the game was on that, instead of a representation of all types of games out there, it'd be one hell of a fun Smash-spinoff to play. And I'd buy it blindly.

Fire Emblem is a GREAT series of games, even if they made poor decisions about its integration in Smash. And again, I blame Lucina and Chrom, because people were loving Marth and Roy back in Melee despite not knowing much about them, and Ike was a nice super-heavy variation on swordsmen, back in Brawl. And Robin is nothing like a swordsfighter, and goes to show how original an all-FE cast could be.
For me personally, it's never been about the design. If all the characters were handled like Corrin or Byleth, I would be fine. However, if we're going to get someone like Hero, who has a really unique down special but overall feels like a mix-and-match of various attacks from several different swordfighters, then I'd prefer we get a different moveset. I don't want every tilt, aerial, and Smash attack to involve swinging a sword in a slightly different way. I want more variety.

I know people are going to roll their eyes when I say this, but I think an all-Pokemon cast would be better. Designs are varied, practically every species has some type of "magic" or supernatural power, and it's honestly very difficult to make Echoes of Pokemon characters, or at least compared to every other Nintendo franchise.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Nowi and Tiki in Smash would be dope. If we're doing more FE reps might as well go for the the most unique ones possible

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can understand the frustration with every Fire Emblem character in Smash using a sword. Really, I get it.

The thing is, Smash is a mascot crossover. The protagonist of each Fire Emblem game would very likely be the pick, as that is how things have always been. They could have chosen a non-sword user from many games, but that's strictly a pick from a gameplay angle. That's not typically how picks are made.

Robin was picked because he was a main character of his game AND had unique gameplay opportunities.

Anyway, as said before, the problem with the "too many swordfighters" in a mascot crossover isn't really the picks themselves; it's the fact that many character predominantly using a weapon use swords. Very few mascots use a weapon other than a sword.

If you want a Fire Emblem character in Smash that doesn't just use a Sword, then maybe push for Intelligent Systems to change up the look of their protagonists.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For me personally, it's never been about the design. If all the characters were handled like Corrin or Byleth, I would be fine. However, if we're going to get someone like Hero, who has a really unique down special but overall feels like a mix-and-match of various attacks from several different swordfighters, then I'd prefer we get a different moveset. I don't want every tilt, aerial, and Smash attack to involve swinging a sword in a slightly different way. I want more variety.

I know people are going to roll their eyes when I say this, but I think an all-Pokemon cast would be better. Designs are varied, practically every species has some type of "magic" or supernatural power, and it's honestly very difficult to make Echoes of Pokemon characters, or at least compared to every other Nintendo franchise.
While I don't think that a Fire Emblem platform fighter would be as boring as you make it sound, I do think a traditional fighter would suit the series more, as it's more methodical than it is bombastic. You could even represent more characters through assists.

I agree that the Pokémon series would fit better, though I personally would prefer a 3v3 versus style game for the series.

Nowi and Tiki in Smash would be dope. If we're doing more FE reps might as well go for the the most unique ones possible
Caeda (& the other Pegasus Knights) as well if you can fit in the Pegasus without making her the largest character in the game.

SKX31

Smash Master
I can understand the frustration with every Fire Emblem character in Smash using a sword. Really, I get it.

The thing is, Smash is a mascot crossover. The protagonist of each Fire Emblem game would very likely be the pick, as that is how things have always been. They could have chosen a non-sword user from many games, but that's strictly a pick from a gameplay angle. That's not typically how picks are made.

Robin was picked because he was a main character of his game AND had unique gameplay opportunities.

Anyway, as said before, the problem with the "too many swordfighters" in a mascot crossover isn't really the picks themselves; it's the fact that many character predominantly using a weapon use swords. Very few mascots use a weapon other than a sword.

If you want a Fire Emblem character in Smash that doesn't just use a Sword, then maybe push for Intelligent Systems to change up the look of their protagonist.
Also, it's worth pointing out that Sakurai's tried to create at least some differences between the FE Lords (even if the ever-dreaded time crunch created the clones to begin with). Such as the sweetspot / sourspot stuff (whether they exist or don't). I haven't seen the competitive community complain as much about the FE clones as say casuals or the people here largely because the more minor differences do matter there.

Roy's journey is an interesting case study: In Melee he had unfinished hitboxes and attacks (due to the timecrunch) and as such no one made much of a splash with him until Don'tTestMe Zain proved that a skilled :roymelee: can beat any :foxmelee:. His Smash 4 incarnation suffers a bit from laggy attacks. But now with his Ultimate self? Sakurai's realised his dream and turned him into a high tier attack monster that can convert jabs into much, much more. That might help Roy's chances in future installments or whatever now that he's a viable character.

I do wonder what you and other Nintendo-leaning people will think if the project TPC and Tencent's working on turns out to be a Pokemon MOBA or other multiplayer-focused game. Now, I presume that you're disinterested in the genre at large, but I'm asking this question since the project could be a proof-of-concept of what you're saying.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Thursdays and Tuesday 9th as it was the original date of E3.

Nintendo was always the good kid who waited until the show before showing what they had so we may get one or more projects who still made that deadline.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I do wonder what you and other Nintendo-leaning people will think if the project TPC and Tencent's working on turns out to be a Pokemon MOBA or other multiplayer-focused game. Now, I presume that you're disinterested in the genre at large, but I'm asking this question since the project could be a proof-of-concept of what you're saying.
A MOBA is very different from a fighting game so it wouldn't be a proof-of-concept for one. However, a Pokémon MOBA could be amazing. Especially if some of the weaker Pokémon can make a name for themselves within it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd be very un-enthused unless they've got some new innovative way or combating the rank toxicity the genre inherently brings.

Pick a non-meta character, reported!
Try out an experimental build, reported!
Give it your all and come up a little short, reported!
Show up in the default skin, REPORT THE PEASANT!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wait what? Do you seriously get reported for not paying for skins?
Not wearing skins or, Arceus-forbid, wearing free skins means you're either a free-to-play noob or worse, a Smurf account. The idea that people simply LIKE the original skins is considered laughable.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sounds interesting, but like any other game, I'll have to actually see it before I can form a solid opinion. I'll give the concept the benefit of the doubt for now.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Something I find funny is that, despite all the complains on "fE aLwAyS tHe SaMe!1!!" is that Lucina and Chrom might be amongst the better made Echoes around, at least from what I think.

Lucina just has one change, one sole change: The damage output in her sword is different from Marth as she lacks a tipper. And yet, that already makes it so she must be played significantly different: with Marth you must make spacing so the tipper connects, with Lucina, it's more of a rushdown.

Chrom is even more of a step up, not only he lacks Roy's sweetspot but of course has a different recovery.

And even back in Melee when Roy was a straight up clone and an unfinished mess, at least he had a different sweetspot from Marth and a different charge move. As terrible as he was back then.

That's honestly much more than what can be said for Dark Samus, Daisy or Richter, especially Daisy.

Sure, I wish they were more unique, but they are fine as they are imo.

And anyone who calls, Ike, Robin, Corrin and Byleth more Marths is just salty.
Dude, I already got over when you cursed me with that Merlin avatar, don't make me don't like you again.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
A MOBA is very different from a fighting game so it wouldn't be a proof-of-concept for one. However, a Pokémon MOBA could be amazing. Especially if some of the weaker Pokémon can make a name for themselves within it.
Meant a proof of concept as in a proof of concept on how to differentiate the different Pokemon (especially those sharing a similar elemental theme). The big MOBAs usually do a great job with this by having different animations for different spells etc. Fighting games do this too, to be fair - but an all-Pokemon game could show ways to distinguish attacks so Smash can adapt those for the next Fire / Water / Psychic Pokemon.

I'd be very un-enthused unless they've got some new innovative way or combating the rank toxicity the genre inherently brings.

Pick a non-meta character, reported!
Try out an experimental build, reported!
Give it your all and come up a little short, reported!
Show up in the default skin, REPORT THE PEASANT!
*Vietnam Flashbacks to when I most intensely played Dota 2. Russian words echo in the background.*

Combatting the toxicity is going to be a major issue here too, yes. One way would be to shorten the individual matches so they're not as time-intensive. So people don't get as enraged about decisions made during it (given that this is likely to be a mobile game with perhaps a Switch port like Tencent's own mobile MOBA, it's certainly possible).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not wearing skins or, Arceus-forbid, wearing free skins means you're either a free-to-play noob or worse, a Smurf account. The idea that people simply LIKE the original skins is considered laughable.
Being default & bad = broke noob.
Being default & good = smurf.

Because clearly nobody enjoys a character's original design.

Clearly.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Being default & bad = broke noob.
Being default & good = smurf.

Because clearly nobody enjoys a character's original design.

Clearly.
You better wear those gaudy limited time Easter 2014 event costumes with the giant ears if you want to be taken seriously.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

If you want a Fire Emblem character in Smash that doesn't just use a Sword, then maybe push for Intelligent Systems to change up the look of their protagonists.
For me, mascot doesn't need to mean protagonist: Just look at staples of the Fire Emblem franchise like Tiki and Anna, which have more game appearences than any other character in the franchise, and I would argue even relevance over some already in Smash. While Tiki would probably be redundant nowadays with Corrin's introduction, Anna has so many routes they can go with moveset in terms of items, weapons and even including money somewhere that would both break the form, be relevant and not anger (as much) people with the classical trope.
While I get that main characters from a recent game are fresher in hindsight and have more chances to be chosen, I wouldn't undervalue the importance of franchise staples as fighters for both relevance and potential [insert it doesn't matter if a character is important quote here]. Some of them can have even more presence than most main characters.
For example: who to choose for a second Final Fantasy fighter if you were meant to represent the franchise as a whole? People would go all over the place in choices: some would choose another 7 rep, because it's the most relevant one, some would choose a hero from another FF. If I choosed the next one, I would go with Vivi from Final Fantasy IX, because of the combination of a main staple of the franchise in the form of the Black Mage, like Chocobo and Moogle, plus a beloved character from a FFFF (that stands for fan-favorite Final Fantasy lol). Also, characters from other FF classes don't share the same visual design like Vivi does the Black Mage classic look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom